• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo World Championships 2017 announced

What is everyone's best time on Bowser's Castle?

I'm interested to see the time that wins the first qualifier. Do you all think sub 1:20?

Neiteio

SCENE: It's the night of the big event. The audience hushes as the lights in the auditorium dim and a mysterious game appears onscreen. Then, moments later, the audience bursts into applause as METROID PRIME 4 appears onscreen. "Finally," they think. "Another trailer!"

But then a subtitle materializes underneath it: FEDERATION FORCE... II. The audience gasps in horror. A woman in the back of the room screams.

And then another subtitle materializes under that. OTHER -OTHER- M.

REGGIE: "Metroid Prime 4: Federation Force... II: Other -Other- M will be coming to Switch soon!"

watershed

Banned
I wonder what the line up will be. For sure we'll see MK8D, Splatoon 2, and ARMS. But what else? Some kind of BOTW master trials speed run?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
cool, can't wait to try and qualify. Though i imagine the line for this is going to be fucking killer.

Neiteio

I wonder what the line up will be. For sure we'll see MK8D, Splatoon 2, and ARMS. But what else? Some kind of BOTW master trials speed run?
- BotW any percent speed run (see how far you can get, starting from scratch, within a time limit)
- Metroid: Samus Returns speed run (same deal as above)
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- ARMS
- Splatoon 2
- Pokken Tournament DX
- Rocket League

Maybe also SNES games from the SNES Classic, which comes out in September.

ViolentP

RTPquVp.png

I really think they'll announce a game here, think about it, if it's just for some ARMS fighter or Splatoon DLC this seems a bit overkill, they've announced a game at both of the previous events, and why else would they do it? to build up interest in the Switch? It's already almost certainly going to be sold out the entire holiday season so they don't need that.

ggx2ac

I really think they'll announce a game here, think about it, if it's just for some ARMS fighter or Splatoon DLC this seems a bit overkill, they've announced a game at both of the previous events, and why else would they do it? to build up interest in the Switch? It's already almost certainly going to be sold out the entire holiday season so they don't need that.

Gameboy Advance Classic with Mother 3.

Hope they drop some retro games for good measure:

Donkey Kong Arcade
Tetris NES
Goldeneye 64
F-Zero GX
Smash Bros Melee
Super Mario Maker
Arms
Splatoon

ggx2ac

Donkey Kong Arcade
Tetris NES
Goldeneye 64
F-Zero GX
Smash Bros Melee
Super Mario Maker
Arms
Splatoon

If we're talking about what games will be at the main event in NYC, I think it will be whatever is playable on New 3DS, SNES Mini Classic and Nintendo Switch.

I remember NWC 2015 had Super Metroid on Wii U (with people pressing the Home menu button constantly) but I don't expect a Wii U to appear since they no longer sell it unless... They need Smash Bros. and there's no Smash Bros. to play on Switch.

Edit: It's a marketing event, they're going to give preference to games people will be able to play on systems Nintendo sell currently.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
A "World Championship" having qualifiers at eight Best Buys is utterly pathetic.

The prizes are some bullshit too.

If we're talking about what games will be at the main event in NYC, I think it will be whatever is playable on New 3DS, SNES Mini Classic and Nintendo Switch.

I remember NWC 2015 had Super Metroid on Wii U (with people pressing the Home menu button constantly) but I don't expect a Wii U to appear since they no longer sell it unless... They need Smash Bros. and there's no Smash Bros. to play on Switch.

Edit: It's a marketing event, they're going to give preference to games people will be able to play on systems Nintendo sell currently.

So

ARMS tourney
Splatoon 2
Pokken switch ed.
And
Super Mario Odyssey for the finale

ggx2ac

A "World Championship" having qualifiers at eight Best Buys is utterly pathetic.

The prizes are some bullshit too.

That's why it's just a marketing event, it's mentioned in the PR release that you'll also get to play Super Mario Odyssey and Metroid: Samus Returns at those Bestbuy locations.

Regardless of stuff like the Switch reveal trailer that had Splatoon 2 at an esports event. NCL have given no indication that they are interested in doing esports and since esports isn't big in Japan, I doubt there'll be any investors pushing Nintendo to host esports events like they pushed Nintendo to go mobile.

Neiteio

ITT: People slowly realize these events are, and always have been marketing stunts meant to sell you toys rather than the integrity equivalent of the Olympic Games

hatchx

Banned
I know it's fun to speculate, but is there any reason to believe there will be new game announcements?

Smash Bros. DX announcement makes a lot of sense though.

I have the day off work....and I can fly to NYC.....oh I hope I can try playing on the 20th and not both days. I got a Six Flags trip that day.

ggx2ac

So

ARMS tourney
Splatoon 2
Pokken switch ed.
And
Super Mario Odyssey for the finale

They have to fill in 3DS games and one or two virtual console games that are playable on N3DS/SNES Mini Classic.

Here's what they had last time:

The qualifying games were Splatoon (Wii U), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Metroid Prime: Federation Force (3DS), Super Metroid (SNES), Mario Kart 8 (Wii U), Balloon Fight (NES), and Super Smash Bros. (Wii U). The final contest consisted of custom levels within the then unreleased Super Mario Maker (Wii U),

So it could become three virtual console games that are playable on N3DS and/or SNES Mini Classic, one 3DS game, and three Switch games.

I think Super Mario Odyssey could be their finals match and they'll show off a new stage for it.

I was watching her stream the other day and she started chopping her hair off live on stream while shouting at viewers and then went into a crying fit for 45 minutes because of the low amount of viewers watching her speed runs. I highly doubt Nintendo wants that type of behavior anywhere near this event.

Damn. From what I've heard her transitioning has been a spiraling nightmare thus far. I really hope she finds some peace in her life soon.

Esque7

I can make the Chicago qualifying event, but I sold my copy of Mario Kart 7 and I'm afraid some time trial masters are going to show up to this lol.

Having to use Bowser would also really suck, I'm terrible with heavy characters.

Ouroboros

I love that they do these, but man it burns me up that I live no where near any of these locations. I sure as hell can't drive out there either. UGH. One day they will be somewhere taversable.

OmegaFax

Also, I'm surprised GameXplain hasn't reported on this. This kind of a big deal for Nintendo.

Isn't much of a big deal if you're not within a travelable radius of those cities or outside of the US. I guess they'll report any announcements that come out of the event.

Neiteio

Isn't much of a big deal if you're not within a travelable radius of those cities or outside of the US. I guess they'll report any announcements that come out of the event.
The event is going to be broadcast, though. The fact it's another NWC is reason enough to report it. I'd even say it merits a discussion on what games they might show, what announcements they might make, and how this might factor into Nintendo's larger game plan for promoting the Switch, e-sports, etc. There are so many talking points here. Both online and in real-life, this event will be a gathering point for Nintendo fans.

Tregard

Soothsayer

Donkey Kong Arcade
Tetris NES
Goldeneye 64
F-Zero GX
Smash Bros Melee
Super Mario Maker
Arms
Splatoon

My guesses:

- Super Mario Kart
- Splatoon 2
- Metroid: Samus Returns (Speedrun)
- ARMS
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Super Mario 64
- Breath of the Wild (Shrine speedrun)
- Smash/Mario Maker Switch announcement (ideally Mario Maker, from that SMB3 style reveal)

My dream is they make a "World Championship" eShop download where it's 3 game fragments to speedrun, in homage to the original. Then do a limited run of physical cartridges because Nintendo likes money.

Maybe the supposed Blizzard game at E3 will be announced here instead.

iu

KingBroly

Banned
Basing it entirely off of the format from last time, I'd say...
Splatoon 2

ARMS

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Super Mario Maker for Nintendo Switch

Zelda II - The Adventure of Link

Kirby's Air Ride

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

So has anyone been practicing Bowser's Castle?? I'm surprised all of GAF isn't going ham on this time trial right now

I have been. Best time so far is 1:24.373. I can hit sub 1.26 regularly but I doubt that'll be enough. This ghost data its showing me also sucks. I wish it would give me a few other people with this set up but I only get one from Nin*Hayata with a location of Nintendo at 1:31.030.

Ridley327

Don't think this was mentioned alongside the news of Super Mario Odyssey having demos at the stores while they hold the qualifiers, but they're also bringing Metroid: Samus Returns for people to play, as well. Those stores are going to be packed.

Murugo

The best time so far in San Jose in 13+ group is 1:18.575, which is gonna be tough to beat. Think it might end up being 1:17 by the end of Sunday. Nerves really do get to you when you're up there, though, and you only get two chances (Edit: was told you can reregister up to 5 times this weekend, for a total of 10 tries).

Got to play Odyssey and Metroid and got some posters. I'd recommend going just for the demos if you can.

The best time so far in San Jose in 13+ group is 1:18.575, which is gonna be tough to beat. Think it might end up being 1:17 by the end of Sunday. Nerves really do get to you when you're up there, though, and you only get two chances (Edit: was told you can reregister up to 5 times this weekend, for a total of 10 tries).

Got to play Odyssey and Metroid and got some posters. I'd recommend going just for the demos if you can.

God damn. No way I'll be able to get near that time. Oh well. Guess getting to play Odyessy will be worth the drive to N.Y. tomorrow.

The best time so far in San Jose in 13+ group is 1:18.575, which is gonna be tough to beat. Think it might end up being 1:17 by the end of Sunday. Nerves really do get to you when you're up there, though, and you only get two chances (Edit: was told you can reregister up to 5 times this weekend, for a total of 10 ).

Best in NY was a 1:16 and change. According to the reps here you could go through as many times as you wanted. The kid with the highest time apparently just kept going all day and slowly widdedled it down.

Top Bottom