• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo World Championships 2017 announced

Exciting. I like that they don't do them yearly. Though I think a three year-gap in the future would be better. Though maybe it'll become annual depending on how popular this is?

I wonder if they're reveal a smaller game like last time?

Any major reveal would be seen in a Direct before the event.

They should invite John Numbers but I don't have him participate but like be present for when they give the trophy.

I wonder what contestants they'll bring back for their "second chance at glory"? A story for the announcers to put forth.

Raven117

If this doesn't end like The Wizard, they messed up.

video_armageddon.jpg

That would be awesome.

Fularu

Banned
They can't lol. We have to take every word literally I guess and make a big deal out of it.
Other eSport events use regional naming schemes (NA qualifiers, east coast qualifying rounds and so on)

In this global day and age, using World for just two countries (and not even all of the second one) is archaic at best, pathetic at worst

Pandy

Expecting a big first party game announcement during the event.

This. Smash would fit, but could be something else.

EDIT: I'm in the UK, and fine with the name. It's cheesy in a way that works, and if I cared that much I can get on a plane.

El Sabroso

VC stuff would fit a lot for a final game, specially gamecube era

is the perfect moment for Melee HD
totally not happening
or Smash for Switch ending

Petrae

Eight qualifying locations at Best Buy stores when there are literally hundreds more that could hold this event is straight-up cheap.

Super Star Fox Weekend had hundreds of qualifying spots, and these were overseen by store staff-- not Nintendo reps. Even if Nintendo reps needed to be at stores to verify times in this case, have each Nintendo retail rep pick a store in his/her territory and run it there. You're bound to have more than eight locations that way. You get more participants, too.

World Championship that is only open to the biggest jobbers in the videogame world.

It really is a weird event that is filled with just normal people that are ok at games. It seems to be more of a contest than it does a Championship. Unlike gaming tournaments where theres people who have been studying this one game for years, the Nintendo World Championship is randomized games with rules that are often new to people who have played the games in the past.

Its more like a Nickelodeon Guts episode. Nothing about it was impressive last time around. Which makes me wonder how bad the people had to of been during the original 1990 Nintendo World Championship.

Enforced

lol the top comment on Nintendo's video.
"Winners will receive localized copies of Mother 3."

I'm looking forward to this. Can't wait!

Wii Tank

Here I am wondering if it's worth it as a Canadian to fly down just to try to participate. Of course it's stupid, but what if? The last event looked really fun and I think I would've had a shot at doing pretty well if I had entered. Nintendo hates Canada :(

Put in a time off request at work. Guess I'm going to NYC next weekend.

I've got my time down to 1:26.339 so far.

And wow MK7 did not age well after playing 8. Oof.

Neiteio

They should reveal Smash with Sakurai himself rising from a fog-covered trapdoor in the middle of the stage, singing a super-Engrish-y rendition of "Rock You Like A Hurricane."

Neiteio

In terms of more recent games, I'd like to see:

- Breath of the Wild — Speed run: On a new file, who can get closest to beating Ganon within a set amount of time? Also trailer for Champion's Ballad.
- ARMS, and use it as an opportunity to low-key drop a hype new character, preferably a waifu
- Splatoon 2 — Ranked and Turf Wars, with official confirmation from dev team that Pearl is the best
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe — Battle Mode, with free DLC surprise announcement: N64 Block Fort, out now!
- Metroid: Samus Returns — Speed run, and a deep heartfelt apology for their amiibo shenanigans

Neiteio

Also just realized: This might give us an idea for the timing of Rocket League's release. Rocket League is the PERFECT game for this event. Maybe this means Rocket League will come out shortly before the NWC, or shortly after, and this event will help promote it.

Neiteio

- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild — Timed "any percent" speed run

- Multiplayer showdowns: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe / ARMS / Splatoon 2 / Pokken Tournament DX / Rocket League

- Metroid: Samus Returns — Timed "any percent" speed run

- Super Mario Odyssey — World premiere of key challenges

SURPRISE ANNOUNCEMENTS:

- Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch, coming in March: Definitive edition consolidating the content from the WiiU and 3DS games, plus all the DLC; AND an equal measure of all-new content including additional playable characters (Inklings, Ice Climbers, etc). Reveal trailer, followed by Sakurai's appearance onstage and contestants playing the game in world premiere.

- New characters for ARMS: Two new fighters, shown here for the first time, coming soon in a major update for the game.

- New content for MK8D: A free DLC update adding "Classic" to Battle Mode (the traditional "last man standing" rules), as well as two new maps, one of which is N64 Block Fort. ALSO: First-person view is added to all modes — toggle on and off by clicking R3, and move your viewpoint independently by moving the right stick.

- Available now on the Switch eShop: An HD remaster of Mother 3, localized into English as "EarthBound 2," enhanced with optional screen borders and HD Rumble so you can feel the rhythm during battle sequences. Compatible with the Ness and Lucas amiibo.

YES!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The 2015 one was a REALLY pleasant surprise. Could have been so corny and stupid, but it was legit exciting. And the final round was just brilliant.

Neiteio

Ooo, maybe they could announce Super Mario Maker 2 at this event. Would seem fitting given its star role in the 2015 NWC. :-O

Whatever they do, announcing a one-year anniversary title to look forward to in March would inspire some post-holiday confidence for those looking at Switch around Christmas.

Persona7

Banned

I was watching her stream the other day and she started chopping her hair off live on stream while shouting at viewers and then went into a crying fit for 45 minutes because of the low amount of viewers watching her speed runs. I highly doubt Nintendo wants that type of behavior anywhere near this event.

Top Bottom