• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh coming to Steam on November 7, Nioh Complete for PS4 same day

This happened to my friend, he bought a PS4 for NiOh after this answer and now he's a bit mad about this.
XDRLJf4.png

LMAO, im sorry for your friend but next time he'll wait :D

galv

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoy

This should be thread worthy. Someone needs to take the blame for this and be fined or something, it's unacceptable.

Not really, the wording is ambiguous, all the K-T employee stated was that Ni-Oh was on PS4 only, which was true until a few days ago. All that was asked was if the game was on PC or PS4. "we can" is different to "can we." Nor did he ask about the future even if it was implied. Proper grammar works wonders.

jmga

This happened to my friend, he bought a PS4 for NiOh after this answer and now he's a bit mad about this.
XDRLJf4.png

Something similar happend to Crash Bandicoot: N'Sane Trilogy. People should just assume that PRs are not going to contradict official statements on purpose, they could lose their job.

Shari

Not really, the wording is ambiguous, all the K-T employee stated was that Ni-Oh was on PS4 only, which was true until a few days ago. All that was asked was if the game was on PC or PS4. "we can" is different to "can we." Nor did he ask about the future even if it was implied. Proper grammar works wonders.

True that. Yet having to go to semantics when both parties understand the question is lame, but not illegal so point made.

Still, dirty af.

your friend is an idiot for thinking customer service would tell him anything about the pc version.

Great bottom line lol. Jesus people.

jmga

True that. Yet having to go to semantics when both parties understand the question is lame, but not illegal so point made.

Still, dirty af.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/nioh-ps4/

The game is still listed as "Only on Playstation" on some regions.

And before someone asks, that label is not intended for timed exclusives, they have other labels for that, like "PS4 Console Exclusive Game", "PS4 Console Debut" and "First on PS4".

From quite some time Sony has been using a mix of confussing and ambiguous wording, contradictory statements and silence for making people believe games are PS4 exclusives.

Because Koei Tecmo gave PC gamers a giant middle-finger by participating in a deal like this, and now they want us to be happy about that and buy their game at full price nine months after release.

Tbf, it's not really full price as PC is getting the base game + season pass. The season price is still pricey.

It had both Only on Playstation and Console Exclusive afaik.

Yeah, it was. That's why there were some debates regarding Nioh's exclusivity back then.

Between this and the gag order Sony put on Squarenix/Platinum for the Nier PC version it should be obvious that Sony is now opening the wallet to counter people buying third party games on PC.

Andrew House even said one of the motivations for making the PS4 Pro was because of them losing customers to PC gaming in the mid-late generation.

The fact they don't get as much heat for bullshit exclusivity deals like this is just a sad example of how much people want to defend Sony on here. Look at the shit show around the Rise of the Tomb Raider deal microsoft made and wonder why there isn't as big an uproar over Nioh and RE7 VR's mode.

Between this and the gag order Sony put on Squarenix/Platinum for the Nier PC version it should be obvious that Sony is now opening the wallet to counter people buying third party games on PC.

Andrew House even said one of the motivations for making the PS4 Pro was because of them losing customers to PC gaming in the mid-late generation.

The fact they don't get as much heat for bullshit exclusivity deals like this is just a sad example of how much people want to defend Sony on here. Look at the shit show around the Rise of the Tomb Raider deal microsoft made and wonder why there isn't as big an uproar over Nioh and RE7 VR's mode.

Because Nioh isnt an established franchise that has its roots on Playstation. But sure.. everyone here loves to defend sony *rolls eyes*

Shari

Because Nioh isnt an established franchise that has its roots on Playstation. But sure.. everyone here loves to defend sony *rolls eyes*

The roots of tomb raider are definitely not on Playstation lol. Might want to check that up.

Yeah the issue of ROTR is always in my mind when this happens, around twice a year. Gaf is Gaf, won't change.

schlynch

Well... I did not expect that. Really regretting now that I bought it on PS4 back at release. I really hate this shitty talking about exclusivity and then bringing a port. Last game of Koei Tecmo I will buy at a full price.

Zeneric

That's what you get for betraying the PC master race.

Looks like the pc version will be priced expensively (guessing 60-70 bucks CAD). Blah.

Trace

Banned
XDRLJf4.png

How the hell would a customer service rep know anything about a PC version a year in advance? The only know as much as has been stated officially, most of that stuff is outsourced anyway.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Why not? It's a game that was vehemently defended as never coming to PC that is now coming to PC.

Seemed like a pretty basic announcement for a game that's been out a while. Didn't realize the passions were running this hot.

Well... I did not expect that. Really regretting now that I bought it on PS4 back at release. I really hate this shitty talking about exclusivity and then bringing a port. Last game of Koei Tecmo I will buy at a full price.

like...did you want the game? did you play the game?

Weren't there hints before it came out that suggested it was coming? I remember reading something that suggested console-exclusivity as opposed to being a true exclusive, but I may be mistaken for another game. Hoping the port quality is more like Berserk and less like Dynasty Warriors.

elyetis

Glad I waited, same for ff15.

I didn't like the wait, but not enough complain much about it, what I do hate is the PC version not being announced even thought it's being worked on ( or even already done ).
I have a ps4 and I shouldn't have to make the guess about which game will get a pc release down the line or not to avoid double dipping.

schlynch

like...did you want the game? did you play the game?

yeah, and it was a lot of fun. but it looked like shit in action mode and I wasn't able to play with friends who don't own the console. after all it could have been a much more enjoyable experience with my people on Steam. another thing is that I will probably never play it again since my PS4 is packed up in a box and I don't see a reason in the near future to dust it off and connect it to the TV. so yeah, shady talking about exclusivity... I should have bought it for 20 bucks on ebay after release.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Those are two compared to the bazillion soulslike games that are on PC, including the 2D ones.
What "bazillion" Soulslikes? The only other Soulslikes around are Lords of the Fallen, The Surge, and Salt & Sanctuary, and all of those are available on consoles. I guess there's DarkMaus but that's a stretch.

I mean... It's their own fault. Did you think the KT twitter employee was going to go: "No, it's coming to PC" 6 months before they officially announced anything?
No, but they could have said "We are not aware of any plans for a PC version at this time" or something like this.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Check the thread Shari posted, this happened in more than just that one btw.

I'm well aware of Sony's inconsistent wording on exclusivity and MS is often guilty of the similar stuff. Just didn't seem like the type of thread to burst into 20 pages over something like that.

No, but they could have said "We are not aware of any plans for a PC version at this time" or something like this.

Taking any random employee's belief/opinion as the final word, especially in large multifaceted companies, is not really a great idea especially on things that will happen in the future.

Kaleinc

Banned
XDRLJf4.png
Who buys a console for one game especially if it's Nioh lol.

Also fool me once
Fool me 1000 times about exclusivity that's on ____ ?

Do you mean

Not buying the PS4 version and thereby being unable to experience the game until 9 months later

Not buying the PC version and thereby missing out on the (supposedly) better running and better looking PC version

or

Not buying the game at all?

In neither of these three cases i find a solution to the problem of not being able to play the better version at launch, ultimately forcing you to choose between one or the other

Whatever floats your boat. I was fine buying the game on PS4 knowing it's obviously coming to PC later because I wanted to play it early in the year. Game runs good on PS4 Pro in action mode so I was content with the port quality. You're like super upset because you were forced to double dip or something. You weren't.

Next time show some restraint and just wait for the PC version if max settings/high res is really that important? Releasing the best version last is a pretty common strategy to maximize profits. See: GTA5 and Destiny 2.

MUnited83

For you.
Didn't Nioh have sony's dodgey ass PLAYSTATION 4 console EXCLUSIVE tag?

I was always under the impression it was due for pc as well and was surprised when it wasn't there at launch.

Honestly it was pretty darn obvious that it was always a timed exclusive.
Was fun to see fanboys freaking out when that obviousness was pointed out, though.
Whatever floats your boat. I was fine buying the game on PS4 knowing it's obviously coming to PC later because I wanted to play it early in the year. Game runs good on PS4 Pro in action mode so I was content with the port quality. You're like super upset because you were forced to double dip or something. You weren't.

Next time show some restraint and just wait for the PC version if max settings/high res is really that important? Releasing the best version last is a pretty common strategy to maximize profits. See: GTA5 and Destiny 2.
"pretty common" *lists two examples, one that hasn't been even proven sucessful yet*
Nioh is a niche game. The only reason it's releasing late on PC it's because of a timed exclusive contract, not because they think it's going to attract double dippers. Factually, late ports tend to sell less unless your game is of gigantic proportions.

"pretty common" *lists two examples, one that hasn't been even proven sucessful yet*
Nioh is a niche game. The only reason it's releasing late on PC it's because of a timed exclusive contract, not because they think it's going to attract double dippers. Factually, late ports tend to sell less unless your game is of gigantic proportions.

Dark Souls 2
Max Payne 3
Grand Theft Auto IV
Vanquish
Bayonetta
Metal Gear Rising
MGS Ground Zeroes
Sonic Generations
Dragons Dogma
Alan Wake
Sonic Kart Transformed
Valkyria Chronicles
King of Fighters XIII and King of Fighters XIV
(Upcoming) Monster Hunter World
Ys VIII
Sonic Mania (though I guess this was delayed to make the game worse instead of to catch double dippers loldenuvo)

I could probably keep going but I'ma go frag some bosses in Cuphead. Please don't cry Bernard.

MUnited83

For you.
Dark Souls 2
Max Payne 3
Grand Theft Auto IV
Vanquish
Bayonetta
Metal Gear Rising
MGS Ground Zeroes
Sonic Generations
Dragons Dogma
Alan Wake
Sonic Kart Transformed
Valkyria Chronicles
King of Fighters XIII and King of Fighters XIV
(Upcoming) Monster Hunter World
Ys VIII
Sonic Mania (though I guess this was delayed to make the game worse instead of to catch double dippers loldenuvo)

I could probably keep going but I'ma go frag some bosses in Cuphead. Please don't cry Bernard.

Amazing how not a single one of your examples applies in any way.

MUnited83

For you.
So what would be the difference from the Digital Deluxe edition on PS4 compared to Complete Edition...on PS4?

Hard to say since KT has done a shit job of listing it, but it seems the Digital Deluxe has a couple exclusive weapon reskins and a... PSN avatar?In addition to the main DLCs. Meanwhile Complete Edition just comes with the main DLCs.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So what would be the difference from the Digital Deluxe edition on PS4 compared to Complete Edition...on PS4?
Hard to say since KT has done a shit job of listing it, but it seems the Digital Deluxe has a couple exclusive weapon reskins and a... PSN avatar? Meanwhile Complete Edition just comes with the main DLCs.
I bought the digital deluxe edition on day 1, and it came with the season pass which includes all the DLCs. (And yeah maybe some avatar, I don't know, and some bonus weapons to start with who are soon outclassed anyway)

test_account

XP-39C²
Nice to see it coming to PC as well :) It wasnt that long ago that i read someone thinking it wouldnt happen because of Sony being the publisher in the west (which is a fair guess though).

I enjoyed the game. Got the platinum trophy as well. I didnt get around to play the DLC.

How the hell would a customer service rep know anything about a PC version a year in advance? The only know as much as has been stated officially, most of that stuff is outsourced anyway.
Indeed. And over a year ago, when that answer was given, the game was only on PS4, so the reply was also correct at the time.

Amazing how not a single one of your examples applies in any way.
Several of those games (or maybe all?) he listed was released on PC later on. The guy he first quoted seemed to be angry about having to wait, so all of those examples fit to that.

If you mean regarding maximizing profits, surely Koei Tecmo (or any publisher to the games listed above for that matter) would have released the game on PC and PS4 at the same time if they thought that would be more profitable?

MUnited83

For you.
Nice to see it coming to PC as well :) It wasnt that long ago that i read someone thinking it wouldnt happen because of Sony being the publisher in the west (which is a fair guess though).

I enjoyed the game. Got the platinum trophy as well. I didnt get around to play the DLC.

Indeed. And over a year ago, when that answer was given, the game was only on PS4, so the reply was also correct at the time.

Several of those games (or maybe all?) he listed was released on PC later on. The guy he first quoted seemed to be angry about having to wait, so all of those examples fit to that.

If you mean regarding maximizing profits, surely Koei Tecmo (or any publisher to the games listed above for that matter) would have released the game on PC and PS4 at the same time if they thought that would be more profitable?
I asked for examples of games that actually actively delayed for the "maximization of profits" fruit of a double dip. But more than half of those were not planned to be on PC to begin with and only after a shitload of years after the company realize the PC is a viable platform, they finally port it. They didn't have a "oh we'll wait 8 years to put this on PC, this makes total sense" plan.
KT released the game on PS4 earlier because they got paid by Sony, not because of a shoddy "double dip strategy" they have.

test_account

XP-39C²
I asked for examples of games that actually actively delayed for the "maximization of profits" fruit of a double dip. But more than half of those were not planned to be on PC to begin with and only after a shitload of years after the company realize the PC is a viable platform, they finally port it. They didn't have a "oh we'll wait 8 years to put this on PC, this makes total sense" plan.
KT released the game on PS4 earlier because they got paid by Sony, not because of a shoddy "double dip strategy" they have.
Fair enough. I dont think we'll really get the answer to that in every case. Releasing later on one platform does set up a possibility of double dipping, but i agree that its probably mostly done to reach more people rather than primarily trying to go for double dippers.

DJwest

Sorry for the bump but have they announced when the complete edition will be released in the West on PS4? I can't find any pre-order link (UK)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm getting the steam version, too.

Game is amazing, and I would definitely want more of this from Team Ninja.

Durante

And most of those that doesn't apply to also weren't delayed for "profit".
E.g. Ys VIII was very clearly planned for simultaneous release and delayed for quality reasons.

Top Bottom