• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh coming to Steam on November 7, Nioh Complete for PS4 same day

Via Eurogamer

"The PC version will include two visual presentation modes: Action Mode, which aims for a stable 60 fps frame rate, and Movie Mode, a “cinematic” option with a 4K display resolution. Koei Tecmo's note to press suggests you can't deviate from either of these two modes, no matter how powerful your PC."
WGZLkBw.gif

Zaru

This is actually fairly good news for me as it suggests the dynamic resolution switching is still in the game since chances are my PC will need it to keep up with the framerate. Sometimes there is the assumption all PC gamers can brute force past issues like that.

The issue is that one day, cheap low end PCs could be able to run Nioh at 4k60fps... except they won't, because of a pointless, arbitrary lockdown that has no place in the PC space.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Guys, wait before overreacting. Don't make it another Blue Reflection.
Haha yea. There is definitely some overreaction because this is what we do at times. As long as I get my stable 120fps+, I'll be good. Might have to rely on the community for that though.

Zafir

well some modders are already trying to fix Blue Reflection's crash issues and quite successfully so far ... and with the love Souls is getting on PC i dont see why they wouldnt try to fix this one aswell

Well, when I say that I mean more than just crash fixes.
Guys, wait before overreacting. Don't make it another Blue Reflection.
Doesn't that still have PS3 quality assets though? (correct me if I'm wrong I don't own it)

Laplasakos

Via Eurogamer

"The PC version will include two visual presentation modes: Action Mode, which aims for a stable 60 fps frame rate, and Movie Mode, a “cinematic” option with a 4K display resolution. Koei Tecmo's note to press suggests you can't deviate from either of these two modes, no matter how powerful your PC."

So it seems it's a direct console port with no extra graphical options. You have to choose between 4k and 60 but not both? Uh.....well um....I will be skipping this.

Damn, i knew i shouldn't get excited about this. Hopefully, they will change their minds until release.

Shari

Well that sucks.

On the other hand, it's on PC, maybe that's simple enough to mod.

Don't play with me son. That's my single complaint about this game, if someone manages to mod that out... oh boy.

Edit: NVM, saw this was patched when I already finished the game. AMAZING.

Peroroncino

It's an amazing game folks, best aRPG combat to date and pretty sweet feudal japan atmosphere, be sure to support it day one!

IvorB

PC players can now enjoy one of the best games in recent memory and possibly the best third-person combat ever.

Markoman

My personal Goty. PC is getting stronger every day and thus I'm not sure if I'll need a console in the future. Now bring Yakuza, Sega.

In my top 3 games of 2017. It's confusing as balls at first, but stick with it and you'll be in for a treat.

Some people didn't like that it was level-based, not open-world like Souls, but I for one appreciated it. Really, really good game.

Bought it day one... enjoyed it until 30 hours in and then i put it away.
Two months ago decided to pick it up and then the addiction kicked in!

Still don't know where the story is all about and it's really hard to remember who's who with those japanese games... except for Hattori Hanzo.

That is a pleasant surprise, 60 FPS Nioh sounds like a dream

Slightly unrelated

A while ago I remember a discussion whether Nioh and the Crash Trilogy Remaster are coming to PC or not. I remember most people were very skeptical of this game coming on PC, while they were more indulging of the possibility for a Crash PC port.

So... does this enhance the chance of a Crash PC port? because I so want that.

Peroroncino

Don't play with me son. That's my single complaint about this game, if someone manages to mod that out... oh boy.

Wait, someone has to play it in SP?
Interest diminished.

Well that sucks.

On the other hand, it's on PC, maybe that's simple enough to mod.

That is INCORRECT. You absolutely can play coop with friends, the game has 2 different coop modes, first [the way eaaaasier one where both of you can die couple times] requires finishing the mission but the second one [where 1 death means going away like in souls] DOES NOT.

That is a pleasant surprise, 60 FPS Nioh sounds like a dream

Slightly unrelated

A while ago I remember a discussion whether Nioh and the Crash Trilogy Remaster are coming to PC or not. I remember most people were very skeptical of this game coming on PC, while they were more indulging of the possibility for a Crash PC port.

So... does this enhance the chance of a Crash PC port? because I so want that.

Game is already 60 on ps4.

Stimpack

Not the same as souls as in put a sign down and summon you're friend in, In Nioh one of you has to do the mission first to be summoned in by you're friend. Then it gives an option to go through the same level together with harder difficulty's and a life bar for you both to revive.

Pro's and con's too the mechanic. Ideally you would both do it the latter way straight from the off like the Souls games.
It's important to stress this. One person has to have finished the mission before co-op is allowed.

Via Eurogamer

So it seems it's a direct console port with no extra graphical options. You have to choose between 4k and 60 but not both? Uh.....well um....I will be skipping this.

3671525-3346674585-mjs7qpt.gif

Via Eurogamer

Haha. Fuck off Tecmo. Will pirate.

Via Eurogamer

"The PC version will include two visual presentation modes: Action Mode, which aims for a stable 60 fps frame rate, and Movie Mode, a ”cinematic" option with a 4K display resolution. Koei Tecmo's note to press suggests you can't deviate from either of these two modes, no matter how powerful your PC."

Thinking about this. The action mode will vary the resolution to keep the framerate stable at 60fps at the cost of resolution. So technically, you could play at 4K if your PC could handle it but it will scale down the resolution dynamically.

The cinematic option locks the framerate and the resolution.

I think this is an overreaction by GAF again, me included.

So basically: (This is how it works on PS4/PS4 Pro)

Action Mode:
60fps lock, Dynamic Resolution

Cinematic Mode
30fps lock, Fixed Resolution

The base resolution should be a separate option. For example, there should be nothing stopping you from playing Cinematic mode at 1080p as opposed to 4K.

Well I bought this a few months ago, but never started. Glad I waited so I can get the complete edition for PS4. Anyway reading the comments on that tweet are just...wtf is wrong with the gaming community?

kevin1025

Banned
I’ll hold out and see how the port holds up. If it’s iffy I’ll grab the complete PS4 version. I hope it turns out well!

The issue is that one day, cheap low end PCs could be able to run Nioh at 4k60fps... except they won't, because of a pointless, arbitrary lockdown that has no place in the PC space.

Is that really the case? I interpreted it as you'll have a dynamic resolution in order to ensure you hit 60fps so if your system can handle 4k at 60fps then you will be able to. Of course they might arbitrarily lock 60fps to 1080p, but has that been confirmed?

My personal Goty. PC is getting stronger every day and thus I'm not sure if I'll need a console in the future. Now bring Yakuza, Sega.
I wish this would happen. Yakuza is one of the few games that make me want to buy a PS4. Nioh was another one and thankfully that’s coming

Coolade

Thinking about this. The action mode will vary the resolution to keep the framerate stable at 60fps at the cost of resolution. So technically, you could play at 4K if your PC could handle it but it will scale down the resolution dynamically.

The cinematic option locks the framerate and the resolution.

I think this is an overreaction by GAF again, me included.

So basically:

Action Mode:
60fps lock, Dynamic Resolution

Cinematic Mode
30fps lock, Fixed Resolution

The base resolution should be a separate option. For example, there should be nothing stopping you from playing Cinematic mode at 1080p as opposed to 4K.

That would be ideal unless the dynamic scale has a resolution cap? I am not sure.
I just wanted to report the news to make people aware, but I won't judge too harshly until we see the finished product. Mixed feelings at the moment for sure. I wish steam required games list their aspect ratios and framerate options.

Akiller

Via Eurogamer

latest

Top Bottom