• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Last Chance Trial Thread: It's your last chance, seriously.

I have officially died more than my blind Demon's Souls run and first 3 difficulties of Ninja Gaiden 2

Bruh lemmie tell ya. Having never played a Souls game or a Bloodborne game ever in my life, my first 10 hours of this:

nC0OXmS.gif

My last 2 hours of this:

blade-2-sword-fight-o.gif

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I cleared both previous demos and wasn't too sold on Nioh. I love and finished all soulsborne games, but something about this one felt off, even when I learned how to play it.

My attitude changed with this demo - I definitely liked it the most of the three. Maybe it was the lower difficulty level or less annoying enemy groups, but I felt like this level had the best flow of all the demo ones.

The boss gave me some troubles at first but after 5+ tries I finally figured it out and didn't have that much trouble solo.

Definitely going with an Axe and Dual Katanas for the full version to be covered in all situations.

Ogawa-san

The trial will be over and I'll still have no idea how to reliably avoid Ogress' jump attack. That flurry is iffy but if I stick next to her I'm (probably) safe, but when she jumps it's 50/50 I can avoid it. The camera going wild when you're locked on doesn't help.

Izuna

Banned
Bruh lemmie tell ya. Having never played a Souls game or a Bloodborne game ever in my life, my first 10 hours of this:

nC0OXmS.gif

My last 2 hours of this:

blade-2-sword-fight-o.gif

Haha, yeah.

I'm finding it easier and easier due to getting to know the dodging. I love this challenge and I welcome it greatly.

NGB on anything under Very Hard and I would have to TRY to die.

The trial will be over and I'll still have no idea how to reliably avoid Ogress' jump attack. That flurry is iffy but if I stick next to her I'm (probably) safe, but when she jumps it's 50/50 I can avoid it. The camera going wild when you're locked on doesn't help.

Just dash behind her when she jumps. Not away from her.

Switch to medium stance and roll toward the direction she's jumping in or to either side.

Just dash behind her when she jumps. Not away from her.

This is the mistake I was making. Having never played a game like this, I assumed blocking would be a thing against bosses. Then a friend told me, "no in Souls games you have to dodge everything". It didn't take terribly long after that to get it. Then it just came down to understanding the timing.

Haha, yeah.

I'm finding it easier and easier due to getting to know the dodging. I love this challenge and I welcome it greatly.

NGB on anything under Very Hard and I would have to TRY to die.

I need more NGB in my life, quite frankly. Those savory, satisfying combos.

SkylineRKR

Low stance double evade to the side or underneath her. For me its muscle memory, I think I do it when she hits the apex and is about to fall.

You just gotta dodge twice. What I do is I dodge once forward and then once the camera "flips" I then dodge backwards. Works pretty reliably for me.

The Ki Pulse system is really hard to keep track of and I think will be the main thing separating the good from the great players. Really interesting addition to what is overall a pretty good copy paste job from Souls.

Completed most of the game using dual swords but weapon balance isn't great, I felt that Spears hit way too hard with the strong attack poke combo when I switched to them. Not a fan of the diablo style loot system as I think it adds too much luck into what is otherwise a very skill orientated game and means you cant play with weapons you like/have specced for if strong items for it don't drop. I felt like Boss balance was a bit off too. I beat most of the first mission easily but could barely scratch the Ogress boss so I had to farm for a good while to get better stuff. And in twilight mode I beat her but I had to do it without making a mistake as she could 2 shot me easily. The duel fight was straight BS and I had to cheese him using the rocks (Level 13 my ass), it felt like he could still dodge and shoot arrows even if he had no Ki. Still not sure how to punish blocking as it feels like the human enemies barely loose any Ki from blocking and then by the time you stagger them you have no Ki left for the follow up.

Already preordered off positive reception from people's discussions from the alpha/beta but this is the first time I played myself and it is pretty good.

The Ki Pulse system is really hard to keep track of and I think will be the main thing separating the good from the great players. Really interesting addition to what is overall a pretty good copy paste job from Souls.

Get the perk that gives you ki pulse when dodging. I discovered it late and wish I had discovered it early.

Izuna

Banned
I've found the source of my issue. I'm dodging too much so I'm running out of Ki. Maybe I need that one upgrade.

In Ninja Gaiden I'd hold guard and dodge constantly to move. That's not good in this game.

ghost?

blacksmith, that woman in first menu at start?

Those enemies you can summon

---

Oh my god I had no idea there were so many skills to learn. This Ninja Stuff is amazing.

Hydrargyrus

OMG

This game is truly hard. Not Souls hard... this punishes you more frequently than any souls game.
You need to be as careful as in the souls game, but at the same time you need to take care of lots of things, like the stamina, the guard you are using, a lot of weapons/powers and, maybe is my impresion, but the sceneries are really narrow, so plenty of times you are stuck between the rocks and a pair of enemies.
And, at the same time, is very fast.

This game is going to be huge and very time consuming. I have the feeling that the learning curve in going to be steep and you are going to need time to think everything carefully

Nev

Banned
As someone who had played every souls game. This is much more complex than souls.

That's what I initially thought too. Turns out heavy stance one-hit poking with the spear –and I assume the other weapons– and baiting attacks can get you through everything and is frequently the most effective way of dealing with those damage sponges. Like, those sword sentinels in the twilight mission. You just dodge their two-swing sword attack, attack them once or twice and repeat the process until their ridiculous HP pool is gone. Applicable to most enemies in the game, especially the bigger ones.

They're also entirely predictable, dealing with them is a matter of patience more than skill. I know every Souls enemy's pattern and yet somehow I'm outplayed by them sometimes because they react in a way I wasn't expecting. I absolutely expect everything the enemies in this game do because they seem to be programmed to repeat the same attack cycles over and over again.

I've read people saying that enemies operate on the same rules as you and praising the game for it. Only because they have a visible stamina bar it doesn't mean they are on equal ground with the player.

No, Tachibana doesn't operate on the same rules as me, he deals half my hp with one hit, has huge amounts of health, has super armor on most attacks and can break my stamina bar in one hit. Who the fuck even said this same rules bs with a straight face? This boss would be an absolute cakewalk if he had half the HP.

Gehrman and Maria don't operate on the same rules, but it certainly feels like it. It feels like a legit 1v1 duel between equals, even if they're bosses. They should've looked at these before making this poorly designed low tier fight, but I guess the "harder than Souls!! much harder, at all costs!!" philosophy forced them to come up with this crap. Even the hunter duels in BB were more satisfying 1v1s than this.

Kudo

That's what I initially thought too. Turns out heavy stance one-hit poking and baiting attacks can get you through everything and is frequently the most effective way of dealing with those damage sponges. Like, those sword sentinels in the twilight mission. You just dodge their two-swing sword attack, attack them once or twice and repeat the process until their ridiculous HP pool is gone. Applicable to most enemies in the game, especially bigger ones.

Don't have time to comment on other stuff but all I can just say is that you're playing the game "wrong" (It's not wrong if you want to take your time).
Ridiculous HP pool? Few hits in their back and they crumble, one Iai with Katana deals with them.

UrbanRats

Gehrman and Maria don't operate on the same rules, but it certainly feels like it. It feels like a legit 1v1 duel between equals, even if they're bosses. They should've looked at these before making this poorly designed low tier fight, but I guess the "harder than Souls!! much harder, at all costs!!" philosophy forced them to come up with this crap. Even the hunter duels in BB were more satisfying 1v1s than this.

It's not like Soulsborne are completely immune from just throwing a boss with ridiculous amounts of HP at you.
The DLC for Bloodborne is an example of this.

Rozart

I have 18 samurai points to spend. I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Not sure what to invest in for the ninjutsu and omnyo skill trees though.

Edit:

It's not like Soulsborne are completely immune from just throwing a boss with ridiculous amounts of HP at you.

Which one of those bosses do you have in mind? The Old Hunters DLC have some of the best bosses in all of the Soulsborne series.

So this game is pretty darn good ain't it?

Yeah. Unless the balance of the game gets fucked up its already primed to be one of the best of 2017. The fact that the game is like 50 hours long is crazy too. But I expect that figure to be inflated. Its probably more like 25 to 30 hours. W

Nev

Banned

The only boss in Bloodborne which I could see having too much health making it artificially harder is Laurence. No doubt he's got too much HP. The rest are perfectly fine.

Anyways I'm not saying Souls are flawless, there is plenty of cheap shit in these games, but deliberately bloated HP to make it harder is definitely not one of those unless you're playing with a +1 weapon, which is what this game's bosses and big enemies feel like.

Just defeated Tachibana, bare handed fundoshi style. Twice actually. And only took two times to get his full armor set. I wish we could transfer some items to the full game.

Hagi

That's what I initially thought too. Turns out heavy stance one-hit poking with the spear –and I assume the other weapons– and baiting attacks can get you through everything and is frequently the most effective way of dealing with those damage sponges. Like, those sword sentinels in the twilight mission. You just dodge their two-swing sword attack, attack them once or twice and repeat the process until their ridiculous HP pool is gone. Applicable to most enemies in the game, especially the bigger ones.

They're also entirely predictable, dealing with them is a matter of patience more than skill. I know every Souls enemy's pattern and yet somehow I'm outplayed by them sometimes because they react in a way I wasn't expecting. I absolutely expect everything the enemies in this game do because they seem to be programmed to repeat the same attack cycles over and over again.

I've read people saying that enemies operate on the same rules as you and praising the game for it. Only because they have a visible stamina bar it doesn't mean they are on equal ground with the player.

No, Tachibana doesn't operate on the same rules as me, he deals half my hp with one hit, has huge amounts of health, has super armor on most attacks and can break my stamina bar in one hit. Who the fuck even said this same rules bs with a straight face? This boss would be an absolute cakewalk if he had half the HP.

I'm not really sure where you coming from in regards to normal enemies having ridiculous health pools. Like those stone setinels you mentioned go down pretty quickly on my end so I'm not seeing how they have too much health compared to their damage output. Same with the larger Oni and even the Tengu.

I'm not seeing how the mobs are worse than the souls game either but this is all subjective. Tachibana I'm having some issues with but I wouldn't say he's OP or anything even if his breaking my stamina bar in one hit takes me aback. I think most Souls bosses would veer into cakewalk territory if they had half the HP as well..

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Just defeated Tachibana, bare handed fundoshi style. Twice actually. And only took two times to get his full armor set. I wish we could transfer some items to the full game.

Lol tell that to my 30 hour second beta safe(why is this game so addicting!!!). I spend way too much time gathering a full "hero" set which wasn't usable anyway because it was to heavy when you wore all the pieces despite heavy investment in stamina.

Happy for transmog though. I'm going to go full on diablo and hunt for that perfect equipment piece. It's all also pretty attainable given that you can reroll less that perfect stuff transfer stats from weapon to weapon. Love it.

Izuna

Banned
You know what I like? No Spear/Shield enemies
--

Guys, I went from first mission to twilight, who is the boss for this version?

SkylineRKR

Tachibana is rather fun when you're way overleveled. He can still kill you but its a rather decent boss battle that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-bUpzKs0As

Level 32 here.

He's a side mission, likely for those who want a good challenge at that level. His drops are extremely good, and you can Soul Match them.

At low level he isn't that much harder. You can debuff him at low level too, making his stamina go down just as fast. Your damage output is lower however. His buffed lai attack one shots me still at times.

SephiZack

You know what I like? No Spear/Shield enemies
--

Guys, I went from first mission to twilight, who is the boss for this version?

Still Ogress, more HP and damage and I think one more attack which is a slash to her right (I might be wrong about the attack being new to twilight)

I'm at the point now where I know I can beat Muneshige, but I just need more levels and better gear. I tried for about an hour and I can reliably get him down to about 2/3rds health, but it's just a matter of playing perfectly for an extended time and I can't put a good run together. I'm only Lv 8, though, so once the full game comes out and I can level up without losing progress I'll be all over that schmuck.

I fucking love this game, though. The near-instant load times on death and perfect 60FPS on Pro make it so addictive.

Espada

OHHHH

Holding Guard after you attack screws up your Ki recovery!

Is it not 60gps on the og ps4?

OG PS4 user here running on Action Mode. It's 60 fps for the most part, though some areas like the temple area has strange framerate fluctuations for no apparent reason, even when I've cleared the area out. Thankfully it's at 60 fps for most of the run.

Izuna

Banned
OG PS4 user here running on Action Mode. It's 60 fps for the most part, though some areas like the temple area has strange framerate fluctuations for no apparent reason, even when I've cleared the area out. Thankfully it's at 60 fps for most of the run.

Good to know.

My OG PS4 hasn't arrived so I'll have to check next week for a comparison, but that sounds amazing.

--
Beat first level and Twilight. I might stop here

Super amazing stuff!

bunkitz

Finally beat Ogress and Muneshige. Appreciate how Tachibana's stage was cut shorter and reduced to just the fight with him. Didn't take me as long as the last time to beat him, but it was still a hard fight. Damned lightning pupper stunning me and shit. Adorable, though, hahaha. The Ogress fight wasn't that hard, now that I think about it... Really just had to be patient and time your dodges well. And doge towards her side (not your side) when she's about to swipe her claw/s.

Tried out the Twilight mission. Pleasantly surprised to see a less foggy version of the stage, but damn, it's HARD. Could barely get past that... "Amrita Fiend," was it? It wasn't particularly hard, I suppose, but if you make one mistake, it'll take out a huge chunk of your health. That stone soldier thing hits really hard too, though they're slow so it's actually pretty fun to fight them.

Anyway, is there anything I need to download for beating the first stage? I already got the Mark of the Conqueror and Mark of the Strong from the previous demos. Got a message after beating the first stage, actually, something about a "Boon" menu in the final game and getting my prize there?

Wow. Just find out you can install kill the onis in the Twilight mission.
Throwing a couple of bombs at them will make them explode o_O

Wait, for real? I threw one and it lit the damn thing up, so I thought it buffed them. Shit. Gotta try that later.

Tachibana is rather fun when you're way overleveled. He can still kill you but its a rather decent boss battle that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-bUpzKs0As

Level 32 here.

He's a side mission, likely for those who want a good challenge at that level. His drops are extremely good, and you can Soul Match them.

At low level he isn't that much harder. You can debuff him at low level too, making his stamina go down just as fast. Your damage output is lower however. His buffed lai attack one shots me still at times.

what were those things you cast at the beginning?

Gbraga

Completed most of the game using dual swords but weapon balance isn't great, I felt that Spears hit way too hard with the strong attack poke combo when I switched to them. Not a fan of the diablo style loot system as I think it adds too much luck into what is otherwise a very skill orientated game and means you cant play with weapons you like/have specced for if strong items for it don't drop. I felt like Boss balance was a bit off too. I beat most of the first mission easily but could barely scratch the Ogress boss so I had to farm for a good while to get better stuff. And in twilight mode I beat her but I had to do it without making a mistake as she could 2 shot me easily. The duel fight was straight BS and I had to cheese him using the rocks (Level 13 my ass), it felt like he could still dodge and shoot arrows even if he had no Ki. Still not sure how to punish blocking as it feels like the human enemies barely loose any Ki from blocking and then by the time you stagger them you have no Ki left for the follow up.

Already preordered off positive reception from people's discussions from the alpha/beta but this is the first time I played myself and it is pretty good.

I wasn't a fan of the loot system either, but now they added that Soul Match thing or whatever the hell it's called. You can pick your favorite weapon and level it up to any other weapon of any time by using it as a material in the blacksmith.

That way, if you want to play with Katanas, but your best one is level 15 and you get a level 50 axe, take both to the smith and you come out with a level 50 Katana.

Guymelef

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCY4-OYo8yA

The Playstation 4 Pro version of the Nioh Last Chance Trial uses different native resolutions depending on which game mode is chosen. Movie mode uses a dynamic resolution with resolutions switching between 2560x1440, approximately 3330x1880 and 3840x2160. Action mode uses a dynamic resolution with resolutions switching between 1280x720, 1665x940 and 1920x1080. Movie mode appears to run at a higher resolution on average than Movie (variable) mode

Not even native? wtf

Top Bottom