• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
Everything in Dark Souls 3 is fast. It was a nightmare with greatswords unlike 2 where it was easy mode. Those lothric knights can be deadly, and especially those ice knights. You have to match their agility.

But I mean, isn't it irrelevant since DkS3 is considered to have easiest bosses in the franchise?

I think I'd like all further comparisons to be with an individual title at least if people want to make comparisons.

I just watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPD2x4gDdlY

I'm confused when these are considered to be fast.

Personally enemies I dislike the most in Souls are any spear enemies with shields. They are a constant reminder that the combat is slow.
Umm then you stop to? I am responding to posts, unless you are a mod don't tell me what not to post please.

What?

I'm suggesting to stop comparing them because it's not a convincing point for your argument, but nevermind.

~~

But anyway! There's like, nothing to learn from this discussion for either side. Difficulty really shouldn't be the whole point of any game;

Navy Bean

Blocking is situationally good though. Dodging for mobility, to hit an opening while they might be recovering from an attack is still much better than just trying to block the attack. I don't know why whover thought that there isn't enough of a Ki penalty, because there is, and it just turns into a zero sum game unless you're either using heavy armor, or have a lot invested into Heart.

Oh, I agree, I still only use it in a pinch or a panic. Dodging is more effective and more fun most of the time. Although some of the block + attack combos are really strong.

lionpants

I'm sorry but your video is the equivalent of cornering your friend in Street fighter when he doesn't even know he can counter attack. Seriously that's the opposite of fun to me.
... What? The way the first guy plays is the opposite of fun to me. Crazy stance switching and ki pulsing is what makes this game so much fun. Sure, you don't HAVE to do it, but how is it the opposite of fun? Is it because you aren't skilled enough to execute?

But I mean, isn't it irrelevant since DkS3 is considered to have easiest bosses in the franchise?

I think I'd like all further comparisons to be with an individual title at least if people want to make comparisons.

I just watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPD2x4gDdlY

I'm confused when these are considered to be fast.

Personally enemies I dislike the most in Souls are any spear enemies with shields. They are a constant reminder that the combat is slow.

Nothing wrong with the slower, methodical pace, not ever game needs to be about speed. Souls is different and thats a good thing. But there are fast, and slow enemies in souls games, if you don't know of any i'd have to question if you played them much at all. Even demons souls in 2008 had a bunch. Bloodborne is fast paced.

No one is saying difficulty is the whole point if any game....

silva1991

I just love how they pulled the Demon Souls shortcut to flamelurker after the spider boss in
the water of darkness
sub mission.

This is truly the Demon Souls of this generation.

Izuna

Banned
Nothing wrong with the slower, methodical pace, not ever game needs to be about speed. Souls is different and thats a good thing. But there are fast, and slow enemies in souls games, if you don't know of any i'd have to question if you played them much at all. Even demons souls in 2008 had a bunch. Bloodborne is fast paced.

yes, there is nothing wrong with slower combat but it was said that they have faster enemies... who was saying that there was something wrong with it...

I plat DeS way back, played DkS up until the fire dragon before dropping it and just the beginning in Dk3, if you want a reference

Navy Bean

I cast sloth on one of those fat, belly-flopping yokai and was so mesmerized by the long slow swan dive that he landed on me and killed me...RIP

yes, there is nothing wrong with slower combat but it was said that they have faster enemies... who was saying that there was something wrong with it...

I plat DeS way back, played DkS up until the fire dragon before dropping it and just the beginning in Dk3, if you want a reference

They do....it's as simple as that. I mean never saw a black phantom? Many fast dual wielding enemies, and ninjas in souls and especially BB. Not sure how much you played because souls and BB have very fast and slow enemies. Enemy variety is one area Nioh could learn from souls.

New patch out, any idea what it fixes?

Don't know if these are the full patch notes, but this is what Team Ninja posted on their twitter:

I'll edit this post as I translate:

1.03 Patch Notes:

1. When playing one of the co-op modes, we've made it so that more Ochoko cups can drop randomly from enemies. Also, when you successfully finish the mission, we've increased the chance/amount of ochoko cups and "bukou" (not sure what the English equivalent of that is in-game; maybe glory?).

2. Okay, my Japanese has failed me on this one. It has to do with Hidden Teahouse stuff. The first part says they're adding more forging items to the list of stuff you can buy with Glory. The rest is nonsense to me; too many in-game terms I don't know the English analogs for.

EDIT (courtesy of user hotsoup): Adjusted (probably nerfed) the effect of Extraction Amulets. Also adjusted the effect of Medusa Powder.

3. Bug fixes. There were some situations where specific missions (not bothering translating the mission names) could not be completed, and those have been fixed. There was also an issue where a tutorial window would refuse to close in The Spirit Stone Slumbers, and that's been fixed as well.

4. There was an issue with getting the title for beating Magoichi Saika without getting hit, along with a few other specific bugs that they are currently dealing with.

That's the best I've got.

Yeah but, there are enemies that can one-shot you in this game too. (in fact, at least for me, almost everything can)

And thinking back to my DeS SL1 0death runs... I think there's only the dragon and enemy grabs that to? (ignoring backstabs and being parried because those are very avoidable).

I just want to know which Souls enemy is apparently fast. Taking the most difficult or best example out of every Souls game in the franchise is what's bugging me.

Soulsborne vs NiOh so far as been going along like this

NiOh boss < Bloodborne boss
NiOh Area < Souls1 area

= NiOh < Souls

Well there are a lot of enemies that can one shot you or close in Souls, a lot. In terms of speed you have Knights in Souls and Hunters in Bloodborne. I'm not saying this case doesn't happen in Nioh, I'm just saying it happens in Souls too, I read someone saying that enemies in Souls doesn't take much health of you and well, that's factually not true.

In terms on which is better on what, I do think Bloodborne is better than Nioh. I'm having a better time in Nioh than in Dark Souls III but I recognize that outside of combat almost everything is better in Dark Souls III. Bosses should be a tie though, haven't seen a better boss in Nioh than the best of Dark Souls III, but I've seen way too many lame boss fights in there that are not present in Nioh. It's a silly game to do this comparisons but it's ok, we're all friend here. :p

Anyway, just take the first of what I've said, there are many tough and fast enemies in Souls as in Nioh, especially in Bloodborne.

Izuna

Banned
They do....it's as simple as that. I mean never saw a black phantom? Many fast dual wielding enemies, and ninjas in souls and especially BB. Not sure how much you played because souls and BB have very fast and slow enemies. Enemy variety is one area Nioh could learn from souls.

So I ask again, can you show me which enemy is faster than enemies in NiOh?

Well there are a lot of enemies that can one shot you or close in Souls, a lot. In terms of speed you have Knights in Souls and Hunters in Bloodborne. I'm not saying this case doesn't happen in Nioh, I'm just saying it happens in Souls too, I read someone saying that enemies in Souls doesn't take much health of you and well, that's factually not true.

In terms on which is better on what, I do think Bloodborne is better than Nioh. I'm having a better time in Nioh than in Dark Souls III but I recognize that outside of combat almost everything is better in Dark Souls III. Bosses should be a tie though, haven't seen a better boss in Nioh than the best of Dark Souls III, but I've seen way too many lame boss fights in there that are not present in Nioh. It's a silly game to do this comparisons but it's ok, we're all friend here. :p

Anyway, just take the first of what I've said, there are many tough and fast enemies in Souls as in Nioh, especially in Bloodborne.

This. This conversation started when people started saying factually untrue statements. Enemies take large chunks of health in Souls and BB and there are very fast enemies in all the games. If you are going to make those claims please do some research. Nioh is fantastic, so is Souls, enjoy both without tearing one down. Not to mention there is this thing called PVP in souls thats ups the ante,

... What? The way the first guy plays is the opposite of fun to me. Crazy stance switching and ki pulsing is what makes this game so much fun. Sure, you don't HAVE to do it, but how is it the opposite of fun? Is it because you aren't skilled enough to execute?

This was my added explanation to that, maybe it'll be more understandable:

Sorry, you're right on that point, I wasn't thinking about the fun you get from accomplishing what you did, I try to play like that as much as I can because it's fun to me to do those moves and switches, I'd say I do about 50% or a bit more of what you do, I'm just not as confident against tougher enemies. What I'm trying to say is that your fight doesn't look fun at all because most of the time the boss barely moves. So yeah, you probably had fun because the satisfaction that comes from chaining different attacks but the fight it's visually boring and not challenging at all, the challenge was mixing stances and stuff.

You're being ridiculous. Obviously onemanasylum is considering the speed the player is allowed to move relative to the enemy speed. William can move like 10 times faster than a Souls character, so clearly the enemies' speed will be relative to that.

If you're so invested in this argument, make a Nioh vs Souls thread. Hopefully all the people in this thread who are interested in the argument will flock to it.

myco666

There is none.

This. This conversation started when people started saying factually untrue statements. Enemies take large chunks of health in Souls and BB and there are very fast enemies in all the games.

Yeah, I don't remember being this squishy against everything. Sure Souls has enemies that take large chunks but most regular mob enemies just tickle you in comprison to Nioh. Even to most basic enemy can kill you in few hits here.

There is none.

Yeah, I don't remember being this squishy against everything. Sure Souls has enemies that take large chunks but most regular mob enemies just tickle you in comprison to Nioh. Even to most basic enemy can kill you in few hits here.

Must have played a different Souls then me. Mobs were way harder in souls, heck I can take a lot of hits from most enemies in Nioh. Nonsense thereis, any black phantom with dual sowrds for one.

Izuna

Banned
You're being ridiculous. Obviously onemanasylum is considering the speed the player is allowed to move relative to the enemy speed.

That's not obvious at all, and if that's the point, then for comparison sake I would sake player movement is irrelevant because of iframes. A lot of very fast enemies in NG are beat by standing still and dodging at the right time. Speed affects a player's ability to react. Or we could compare recovery time, start-up frames etc.

That's not obvious at all, and if that's the point, then for comparison sake I would sake player movement is irrelevant because of iframes. A lot of very fast enemies in NG are beat by standing still and dodging at the right time. Speed affects a player's ability to react. Or we could compare recovery time, start-up frames etc.

So you never seen a black phantom in Souls? How much did you play them, I am suspecting you never played them much.....

Izuna

Banned
New update wtf!? What did it nerf?

My pro boot up(i had been completely turn it off this past few days) sequence took enough time to download the update fuck all

Bug fixes, and also supposed to fix infinite LW (which will cause me to change my build). I'm gunna test it.

So you never seen a black phantom in Souls? How much did you play them, I am suspecting you never played them much.....

I've already responded to your post on how much Souls I have played like, twice already. If you can't pick that up I'm not confident that you're reading my posts thoroughly anyway.

So your argument has changed to "speed doesn't matter in Souls because you can deal with it by doing <X>".

Then clearly speed doesn't matter in Nioh because I can stamina break anything WITHOUT USING NINJUTSU/ONMYO/ANYTHING BROKEN.

This is what I mean by both sides of this argument being completely fucking reductive when it comes to the way they present the other game.

You'll make every excuse for the game you think is better. Both sides.

I'm done. I'm just gonna put every person in this thread on ignore until I have a reason not to.

myco666

Must have played a different Souls then me. Mobs were way harder in souls, heck I can take a lot of hits from most enemies in Nioh. Nonsense thereis, any black phantom with dual sowrds for one.

Regular enemies in Nioh are easier to kill but they are way more deadly compared to Souls. In souls I am hardly scared of fighting 4-5 enemies at once. Here even 2 can be a struggle since they are so fast and hard hitting.

And black phantoms are as fast as PC in Souls so still slower than lot of stuff in Nioh.

Freeman76

The guy has proven time and again that he doesnt know what he is talking about, you wont win lol.

Back on topic, do the regions have more content as you progress? The first 2 seemed quite short.

Bug fixes, and also supposed to fix infinite LW (which will cause me to change my build). I'm gunna test it.

I've already responded to your post on how much Souls I have played like, twice already. If you can't pick that up I'm not confident that you're reading my posts thoroughly anyway.
Im suspecting you're lying then, becaue black phantoms are in every souls game and are very fast. Heck there are ninjas's as well and they are very fast.

Regular enemies in Nioh are easier to kill but they are way more deadly compared to Souls. In souls I am hardly scared of fighting 4-5 enemies at once. Here even 2 can be a struggle since they are so fast and hard hitting.

And black phantoms are as fast as PC in Souls so still slower than lot of stuff in Nioh.

Phantoms and sword weilding enemies in Souls are as fast as what I have seen in Nioh.

Izuna

Banned
So your argument has changed to "speed doesn't matter in Souls because you can deal with it by doing <X>".

Then clearly speed doesn't matter in Nioh because I can stamina break anything WITHOUT USING NINJUTSU/ONMYO/ANYTHING BROKEN.

This is what I mean by both sides of this argument being completely fucking reductive when it comes to the way they present the other game.

I'm done. I'm just gonna put every person in this thread on ignore until I have a reason not to.

No that's not my argument, I was addressing a point you yourself had just brought up.

Where have I ever said that NiOh has fast enemies/causes it to be difficult? I've jsut asked which Souls enemy is faster.

Rediculous, can't believe I bothered.

Im suspecting you're lying then, becaue black phantoms are in every souls game and are very fast. Heck there are ninjas's as well and they are very fast.

k

Ferr986

Yeah this is what I'm seeing here.

But I still love y'all so I'm not gonna ignore anyone lol

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Finally played this again last night. Beat
Nue (that was an alpha boss right? I hadn't tried it in the alpha back then, but it wasn't too hard, cool boss though) and then entered a catacomb with pressure plates that shoot exactly 3 projectiles. I laughed.
Then I got to area 2 and the
poison mines with the poison statuettes... I laughed again. Harvest Valley x Black Gulch, here we come.

C'mon Nioh, you're not helping the "it's not Souls it's its own thing!" argument here. xD Next I expect a poison swamp that slows your movement, a frozen area that you need to thaw to progress/snowy winds that blur your visibility, a castle with swinging pendulum axes, fiery lava-filled ruins, catacombs with reviving skeletons... xD

Followers of our DS/BB threads, and now Nioh, should know that difficulty is all relative. For example, some gaffers can slay BSB from Bloodborne in 1-3 attempts, meanwhile it took some of us 10-20 tries (or more). I killed some DS and BB bosses faster than I've killed some of the Nioh bosses (Tachibana Muneshige duel grrr!), and vice verse.

We have some amazingly skilled players on GAF that blow the bell curve away in games like Nioh and Soulsborne. But it's all relative to the weapons, armor, boss, what I ate for breakfast, etc.
Which is why the arguments from both sides are completely fucking ridiculous, incredibly reductive, and downright disingenuous. Both sides of this argument are fucking insufferable and are making this thread terrible.
Seriously. What the hell is going on in this thread...

Freeman76

Haha if you do that how will you know if they give you a reason to unignore them?

I know what you mean though, I put him and others on ignore days ago but still have to read this shit through all the people quoting.

There are some good dudes in the thread though and I enjoy the game, such a shame we cant have a decent discussion without fools ruining it.

Finally played this again last night. Beat
Nue (that was an alpha boss right? I hadn't tried it in the alpha back then, but it wasn't too hard, cool boss though) and then entered a catacomb with pressure plates that shoot exactly 3 projectiles. I laughed.
Then I got to area 2 and the

C'mon Nioh, you're not helping the "it's not Souls it's its own thing!" argument here. xD Next I expect a poison swamp that slows your movement, a frozen area that you need to thaw to progress/snowy winds that blur your visibility, a castle with swinging pendulum axes, fiery lava-filled ruins, catacombs with reviving skeletons... xD

Seriously. What the hell is going on in this thread...

Ah, I was wondering why you were conspicuously absent from this thread. Yes, Nue was in the alpha, and that mission ended there in the alpha.

Haha if you do that how will you know if they give you a reason to unignore them?

I know what you mean though, I put him and others on ignore days ago but still have to read this shit through all the people quoting.

There are some good dudes in the thread though and I enjoy the game, such a shame we cant have a decent discussion without fools ruining it.

I was typing in a rush. I meant I'd put everyone in the argument on ignore, not everyone in the thread, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom