• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NO Man's Sky Photo Thread ¯\_()_/¯

I mean I agree, but it's pretty amazing if you reflect over your earliest gaming memories that this is something we can consider garbage. It's no Uncharted 4, but it's not going to distract me one bit either.

Most of the screens are garbage, artifact-infested, PSN grabs though. xD

Game will look fine on actual displays. And it's going to shine on pc.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
A couple of images from my exploits today.

xl9pjAH.jpg

dHa6FDS.jpg

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
People need to learn a broader vocabulary. Things aren't just categorized into "dogshit," and "GOAT."

No Man's Sky has the aesthetic it has, and some people will find it appealing. Some people won't. It was a game made by 12 people, and it's not going to look like Uncharted 4 or The Order 1886.

It's not that hard to express your thoughts on the game without being hyperbolic. Personally, I think the game looks great, and it's not because I'm blind to the fact that the IQ in the pictures is poor in some shots (I imagine only a capture card will give us the best image quality). I'm not blind to the pop in, LOD, texture detail, and AA. I just think the game has a beautiful aesthetic despite the technical issues.

I could certainly go on and on about the visual stuff I find disappointing, but I choose to get over it and move on. Hello Games has done the best they can, with a 12 man team and five years of development. They're not done tweaking and refining the game, but it is what it currently is.

On another note, I didn't cave and purchase the digital version tonight, and my LE finally shipped from Amazon, so I won't be able to contribute screens until tomorrow night.

To the newcomers in this thread: read the thread rules. This isn't a NMS discussion thread, it's the screenshot thread. Post screens, and feel free to discuss the game in the OT. The link can be found at the end of the OP of this thread.

People need to learn a broader vocabulary. Things aren't just categorized into "dogshit," and "GOAT."

No Man's Sky has the aesthetic it has, and some people will find it appealing. Some people won't. It was a game made by 12 people, and it's not going to look like Uncharted 4 or The Order 1886.

It's not that hard to express your thoughts on the game without being hyperbolic. Personally, I think the game looks great, and it's not because I'm blind to the fact that the IQ in the pictures is poor in some shots (I imagine only a capture card will give us the best image quality). I'm not blind to the pop in, LOD, texture detail, and AA. I just think the game has a beautiful aesthetic despite the technical issues.

I could certainly go on and on about the visual stuff I find disappointing, but I choose to get over it and move on. Hello Games has done the best they can, with a 12 man team and five years of development. They're not done tweaking and refining the game, but it is what it currently is.

On another note, I didn't cave and purchase the digital version tonight, and my LE finally shipped from Amazon, so I won't be able to contribute screens until tomorrow night.

Totally agree. NMS has a more abstracted aesthetic, meant to simulate illustrations from sci-fi book covers, not realistic scenery and lifeforms. There are certainly aspects which are less great, but I've rarely seen stuff that's just straight ugly. And is it just me or did texture resolution get a bump with the 1.03 patch? I think we'll continue to see the game improve visually over time.

I'm on the Amazon LE train as well, but mine still hasn't shipped. :/

elfinke

Hmm, these screenshots are pretty underwhelming (largely due to the composition, I think. They're all taken from head height with little-to-no-flair etc). But in movement (I'm watching the GB Quicklook), I think it all comes together in a far more positive way.

I look forward to seeing what the PC version brings.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Totally agree. NMS has a more abstracted aesthetic, meant to simulate illustrations from sci-fi book covers, not realistic scenery and lifeforms. There are certainly aspects which are less great, but I've rarely seen stuff that's just straight ugly. And is it just me or did texture resolution get a bump with the 1.03 patch? I think we'll continue to see the game improve visually over time.

I'm on the Amazon LE train as well, but mine still hasn't shipped. :/

Hopefully it will ship soon! Mine is being delivered UPS for a change, so it might actually come on time. Whenever Amazon uses On Trac to send me my orders, they don't get here until after 8. I'll be at work until 6:30, but my wife will usually open the game and install any relevant updates while I'm at work. She'll probably play this one too, since she's looking forward to it.

As for the textures? I also think they've been improved, and I want to say that in the patch notes they mentioned improved textures.

draliko

If this game does good, maybe clones will arrive... Hope so. Give me 10s of space exploration games and i will give the whole fps genre in exchange...
Btw great shots, pc version can't unlock soon enough....
And to think that i probably won't see anything of those screen is simply amazing

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This looks great (the visual deficiencies are 100% understandable), but what's a bit disappointing to me is that, as I've noted before, there seem to be no or very few really large features in the landscapes. There are hills, but no mountains. Guess that's just a limitation of the procedural generation. What's the max height anything can be, 128 m (just going by the patch notes saying caves can now get that high)? I would have loved to see kilometer tall peaks and valleys, but I understand why that's probably not feasible.

This looks great (the visual deficiencies are 100% understandable), but what's a bit disappointing to me is that, as I've noted before, there seem to be no or very few really large features in the landscapes. There are hills, but no mountains. Guess that's just a limitation of the procedural generation. What's the max height anything can be, 128 m (just going by the patch notes saying caves can now get that high)? I would have loved to see kilometer tall peaks and valleys, but I understand why that's probably not feasible.
Big mountains and cliffs were seen in streams. You just might not have been lucky

THEaaron

It looks like garbage (the game graphically/visually, not knocking the screenshot itself). Let's not get ahead of our selves here.

People use things like garbage/trash/shit so inflationary here. Is it the age of the people or the general discussion culture?

Pretty awkward.

also.. what kind of gender is "orthogonal"? Is this a thing I don't know about or it's just made up?

Hmm..

Most Psychologists conceptualize masculinity and femininity as two separate, orthogonal dimensions, coexisting in varying degrees in an individual

So... It's in a constant gender flux if its gender is orthogonal?

I don't know how people can say the graphics look garbage? The whole style is beautiful, the vistas are amazing, I can't wait to get this on PC!

Honestly I was watching streams last night and the lighting and the planets and the variation was blowing my mind, sure the textures aren't witcher quality or something like that for open world but what are we expecting with the scope of this game?

Also I imagine PC will have improved textures and even if it doesn't someone will mod it in but like others have said, it's about the overall look more than it is about anything else.

Maybe one day we will get a photorealistic game like NMS with planet visiting etc but I think this stands on it's own.

For me some planets I land on that are really barren do look a tad ugly at times because of the ground textures.

But then when you come across a planet that is full of life and grass everywhere, the grass textures look really good and cover up the ground texture, making it look that little bit better.

KORNdoggy

this thread is seriously tempting me to buy the game. it looks so nice stylistically. it's a world i can see myself getting lost in. seems to have really good IQ too

KORNdoggy

My main concern is does the game get repetitive in terms of the planets? Is there enough variation in the planets and creatures to make every single one feel unique?

probably not every single one. but you'll never visit every single one anyway.

i'd imagine there is enough variation in there to keep you experiencing something different for the amount of time you're willing to put into it. be it 20 hours or 50. and if it manages that, then it's already offering more then most games do

EDIT: my biggest issue is the price of the game. not that it shouldn't be retail level pricing...i think it should. it certainly looks like more time and effort went into developing it then most indie games...but it's more then i've ever spend on any PS4 game since launch. that seems a bit weird.

My main concern is does the game get repetitive in terms of the planets? Is there enough variation in the planets and creatures to make every single one feel unique?

Well when it comes to barren planets, they will look similar as there won't be many defining features. But you won't need to spend much time on them as you can just grab valuable resources and then shoot off to another. But the variety of planets I've seen so far has really impressed me.

And I've found some really cute creatures!

Do you think 100's of hours will be a stretch then? I imagine with future patches and base building it will have more content and expand the length as well.

Anyway I don't want to derail, I will discuss this in the OT but yeah, the game looks great to me.

Sounds great! Have you come across many planets with multiple planets visible from the surface? I think I watched a stream and he had four planets visible in the sky, looked amazing.

Oh yes quite a few. I've landed on about 3 really small moons that had hostile sentinels on it but the backdrop was stunning. Huge planet encompassing the skyline. I think I took a few pics so I will upload when I'm back from work.

slash3584

A few show of my first visited planets:

The only dissapointing thing i've found is the flora/fauna variety. I've seen most of the plants and animals on other screenshots and streams. Maybe the first group of planet are very similiar for all players?

A few show of my first visited planets:

The only dissapointing thing i've found is the flora/fauna variety. I've seen most of the plants and animals on other screenshots and streams. Maybe the first group of planet are very similiar for all players?

I have heard that the closer you get to the centre the weirder stuff like that gets.

Remains to be seen though until we get closer. I've come across 2 really weird, but awesome planets out of 10 or so.

Also, awesome pictures. The second one down is amazing!

ps3ud0

Is there a way to make HUDless screenshots on PS4? Does the game have a photomode or is it something that will be patched in?

ps3ud0 8)

Man, great screens everyone! My copy is showing it hasnt even shipped yet. Im seriously contemplating downloading it digitally to get in on the fun, seeing as i have no clue when my copy will arrive. Im not very patient person lol.

asker

Some nice screens, but hopefully the PC version allows us to easily disable/mod that awful vignette and scanline effect that seems to be always present.

This game wow.

Once I get back on my PS4 tonight, I will totally upload pics of this pitch black planet I found. It is the most toxic place I have discovered yet, but from space it looks like a giant black hole. On the surface? Dark blues greens, no animal life and barely any plant life.

Top Bottom