• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Miiverse screenshots allowed for Smash Bros. 3DS on regular 3DS, works on New 3DS

Peltz

If it's really to squeeze every ounce of processing resources from the 3DS hardware, then it's a sacrifice I'm willing to live with.

(I can see it being exclusive to New 3DS users).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Makes sense, will probably allow it once the western version is out.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Google translate says the miiverse page mentions New 3DS and running it at the same time.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073037273112/14866558073037273117

このソフトをプレイ中はMiiverseを起動できないため、画面写真をコミュニティに投稿できません。
※ Newニンテンドー3DS / Newニンテンドー3DS LL でこのソフトを使用される場合は、プレイ中でもMiiverseをご利用いただけます。

What's said there?

Probably waiting for the rest of the world to get it.

Since it's going to be a million seller everywhere they have to stagger the releases for each territory so that they have enough
Well then maybe they shouldn't stagger the release like this. We're going to learn everything about this game before release anyways. In fact, we already have.

Whatever the reason, this is dumb.

Even if technical reason? I think it's just sad if it's technical reasons since like others have already suggested it's a free promotional tool that Nintendo is loosing here :/

If not technical then I agree with you :p

Regiruler

What's said there?

Google translate is:
for can not start the Miiverse play in this software, you will not be able to post to the community screen photo. ※ If you are using this software in the New Nintendo 3DS / New Nintendo 3DS LL, offers Miiverse even during play.

Obviously I don't think it's right to make any official calls off this, but I don't know how else that could be interpreted.
Still would like a japanese fluent member to look over it.

Blizzard

Banned
What's said there?
Google Translate says:
For playing can not start the Miiverse this software, you will not be able to post to the community screen photo.
※ If you are using this software in the New Nintendo 3DS / New Nintendo 3DS LL, offers Miiverse even during play.

So my best guess would be memory limitations, and the upgraded hardware (and hopefully the Wii U) would be able to handle this sort of thing. *edit* Beaten by 1 minute.

Smash Bros really is the first New 3DS enhanced title. Let's see so far:
-Circle Pad Pro support for N3DS only (pure bullshit and should be patchable).
-Can use OS features (web browser & miiverse)

But hey if a lot of games can use more RAM by disabling Miiverse and web browser I think that is better than being New 3DS exclusive.
Im pretty sure they dont want spoilers for US/EU players
It could just be an asshole thing. See Pokemon X/Y. Did Pokemon Company ever say why not there?

Portalbox

Google Translate says:

So my best guess would be memory limitations, and the upgraded hardware (and hopefully the Wii U) would be able to handle this sort of thing. *edit* Beaten by 1 minute.

So thread title should change to: No Miiverse for Smash Bros when using the 'old' 3DS models?

Regiruler

It could just be an asshole thing. See Pokemon X/Y. Did Pokemon Company ever say why not there?

I think it had something to do with being able to upload your own profile image letting you basically upload any picture to miiverse by proxy, which is more work for the censors.

FSLink

Banned
Spontaneous 3DS capture card purchase justified even more.

Still sucks though, but it does appear to be a lack of memory.

I think it had something to do with being able to upload your own profile image letting you basically upload any picture to miiverse by proxy, which is more work for the censors.
I guess player and Pokemon names too. (I didn't say who the assholes were :p )

But then wouldn't every game with player defined names be in the spotlight.

Spontaneous 3DS capture card purchase justified even more.

Still sucks though, but it does appear to be a lack of memory.
Or wait to see if the added button in the new firmware (9.0?) is a screenshot button.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Cant believe the first thing people didnt mention was memory issue, that is most certainly the problem

Mory Dunz

I heard they were disabled as background processes to hit 60 FPS.
But dunno if that made any sense. Forgot who said it on gaf.

BriBri

tumblr_inline_nbso6uzXys1rmjx4g.jpg

I'll fight Iwata for screenshot rights.

Mpl90

So, it's really a technical reason. Thus, I can't see civil protest doing that much :(

Mpl90

If it is a memory issue I wonder if the N3DS is going to fix this.

By...having more memory?

Actually...doesn't this align with all the rumours about RAM being buffed (from 128MB to 256MB)?

valouris

The game probably takes too much RAM/processing power for other programs to run smoothly on 3DS. That is why it will run on the new models.

dock

Seems like they're allowing certain 3DS games to access more resources, and sacrificing some OS capabilities. Seems like a smart compromise, given the upcoming n3DS.

OP updated with the Miiverse explanation. It's a lack of memory.

There's a photo mode that lets you save to the SD card, right? Mentioned here:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADMUKmAlHkSLw

Pic of the day. This is what the view looks like within the Vault. YourTrophies collection will start off with one randomly selected trophy. In your Album, you can view pictures you've taken of fighters posing. Photos taken with the 3D Depth Slider on will take photos in stereoscopic 3D, and photos will be in 2D when they're taken with that feature turned off.

So could you use this, which uploads from your SD card?

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/image-share

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I dunno how the first page of this thread is so clueless, as if this was some kind of upsell attempt, jesus. Obviously it's because of memory/power upgrades on the new 3DS. SSB3DS pulls off the shit it does by consuming the memory normally reserved for the browser/Miiverse. Just the price you pay for dat 60fps 3D.

Kandinsky

No big deal for me, since I dont think I have ever used Miiverse on the 3DS, now no SS/Miiverse on the WiiU version, that's where it gets nasty Nintendo, do you hear me?!!?

Kinsei

Banned
So now the 3DS is losing features so the n3DS can gain exclusive ones? This is bullshit.

No big deal for me, since I dont think I have ever used Miiverse on the 3DS, now no SS/Miiverse on the WiiU version, that's where it gets nasty Nintendo, do you hear me?!!?

Don't worry, Nintendo isn't trying to sell a new Wii U. The Wii U miiverse is safe.

Mpl90

Since this is a memory issue and not a strange privacy policy like for Pokémon X/Y, I don't think it'll be a problem to get Miiverse screens on Wii U.

lack of memory, again Nintendo proves they only build hardware for as much power as they need at a time, and update with new version when the need arises :(

can you think about future proofing a little Nintendo?

man the west will have to wait a while for this N3DS

SigSig

Seems like they're allowing certain 3DS games to access more resources, and sacrificing some OS capabilities. Seems like a smart compromise, given the upcoming n3DS.

Was my first thought as well.
Instead of being outraged y'all should be glad it's not new 3ds exclusive :/
I'm pretty sure you can still upload the photos from your SD card, just no ingame webbrowsing. Nintendo can't just conjure additional RAMs out of thin air.

Top Bottom