• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Miiverse screenshots allowed for Smash Bros. 3DS on regular 3DS, works on New 3DS

mclem

tumblr_inline_nbso6uzXys1rmjx4g.jpg

I'll fight Iwata for screenshot rights.

I think that's the new-style Capsule, isn't it? My first thought was Jarateing an ice bucket challenge on him.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just goes to show the old HW is old which makes me more pissed on the half step to the 3DSi model. Rather them just say fuck it and release a whole new system next year than the tint step up we are getting.

...What.

If Nintendo keeps this up, they better have some kind of Ambassador program for the new 3DS as well! That or give everyone who owns a 3DS some kind of serious discount!

Because this is some terrible stuff right here.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I thought the OS had reserved memory to run the Internet browser or miiverse? So does that mean that devs can choose to use that memory for a game, preventing multitasking? That'd be pretty sucky if true

I dunno how the first page of this thread is so clueless, as if this was some kind of upsell attempt, jesus. Obviously it's because of memory/power upgrades on the new 3DS. SSB3DS pulls off the shit it does by consuming the memory normally reserved for the browser/Miiverse. Just the price you pay for dat 60fps 3D.

In a way, Smash might've been a major catalyst for the new 3DS.

I can just see them midway through development and they're like "shit guys there is no way we can get this to work on the 3DS's current specs and have any kind of parity with the Wii U version." So Nintendo bent their own rules and used up every system resource just to get it working, noting that they were having to push their own machine a little too far at this point.

Madao

i'll gladly sacrifice miiverse for 60 fps.

the game itself has a screenshot tool so it's not like there's no way to get pictures.

Somnid

lack of memory, again Nintendo proves they only build hardware for as much power as they need at a time, and update with new version when the need arises :(

can you think about future proofing a little Nintendo?

man the west will have to wait a while for this N3DS

Future-proofing is a silly concept, you don't know what you need until you need it. Miiverse wasn't even a thing when 3DS came out.

zruben

Banned
not that I'm particularly angry (I don't really use Miiverse or the web browser, and I am buying a N3DS as soon as I can get one)... but still, that sucks.

...What.

If Nintendo keeps this up, they better have some kind of Ambassador program for the new 3DS as well! That or give everyone who owns a 3DS some kind of serious discount!

Because this is some terrible stuff right here.

Is one (maybe a handful in the future ) game not being able to use one system feature th at wasn't even there at launch and one system feature that I imagine is rarely used that big a deal

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
They could have at least got the n3DS out in the west this year.

I think it could have been the original plan, but then all those unsold units happened. That has to be the main reason we're not getting the revision this year in the West.

sfried

They're probably using some of the system RAM to get things running smoothly, but because MiiVerse is a separate OS task it would need to close the game in order to load and post.

We would need to break down a New3DS in order to know what's really going on.

Axass

I dunno how the first page of this thread is so clueless, as if this was some kind of upsell attempt, jesus. Obviously it's because of memory/power upgrades on the new 3DS. SSB3DS pulls off the shit it does by consuming the memory normally reserved for the browser/Miiverse. Just the price you pay for dat 60fps 3D.

Quote for truth, simply not enough memory.

TheOGB

Banned
...But we can still share pictures and replays in-game, so I'm alright with this

I realize that's not really the same, and saving to the SD card would be great, but I swear there's not much that can ruin my excitement for this game at this point

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So are screenshot accessible from the SD card or the photo channel? Miiverse isn't the only option for uploading screenshots.

linko9

Right, it's not some crazy mystery. I'm personally glad they're using all the system resources available to make the game run as well as possible.

chadboban

Given what I've seen of smash 3ds, given that it manages to look as good as it does at 60fps even with the 3d on, I'm more than willing to sacrifice miiverse for a smooth running game.

Sucks for the folks who wanted to take screenshots and stuff though :(

I thought the OS had reserved memory to run the Internet browser or miiverse? So does that mean that devs can choose to use that memory for a game, preventing multitasking? That'd be pretty sucky if true

Yeah, this was posted in a New 3DS specs thread:

Those figures come from a picture of a dev 3DS took before launch. The 3DS has multiple memory region layouts. The 96MB+32MB layout is used to run debug builds, which uses more RAM than release builds. The layout used in retail units is 64MB+64MB, as explained at 3dbrew.org. There are three memory regions. Their sizes at the retail layout are:

- APPLICATION: 64MB - games are loaded here
- SYSTEM: 44MB - the home menu and "multitasking" applications are loaded here
- BASE: 20MB - OS processes and services/drivers go here

This means the 3DS browser can only use up to 44MBs of RAM (the home menu is unloaded when you load a multitasking application like the browser or miiverse).

So by not allowing MiiVerse/web browser/etc to run while playing, the game gets access to an extra 44 MB of memory (a 68% increase).

Bytes

The web browser is useless, anyway. I tried to use it while playing MH3U to look up where to find certain resources and it fails to properly load any website, probably from a lack of RAM and/or processing power.

Hip Hop

the game itself has a screenshot tool so it's not like there's no way to get pictures.

So you can upload at a later time you desire?

Then I really don't see the need of the outrage.

Piccoro

Was my first thought as well.
Instead of being outraged y'all should be glad it's not new 3ds exclusive :/
I'm pretty sure you can still upload the photos from your SD card, just no ingame webbrowsing. Nintendo can't just conjure additional RAMs out of thin air.

The ingame web browsing is actually necessary if you want to share pictures of a game to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr: http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/image-share#section02wrap

So you can upload at a later time you desire?

Then I really don't see the need of the outrage.

Yeah I'd like someone to test this just to be sure, whether through the 3DS image share site or just putting your SD card in a computer, but there should be a (minor inconvenience) workaround here.

So, it's really a technical reason. Thus, I can't see civil protest doing that much :(
It means less Goku requests and Minecraft port begging...Miiverse is a depressing place...

It's possible that the NFC module for the 3DS uses the same IR port which would be taken up by the CPP, so both can't be used at the same time.
Nobody can use the NFC module until 2015. I don't see why they can't have an option to choose what the IR port is doing and not allow you to do both at once...it would be like how you can't use the internet browser or miiverse on a regular 3DS while playing the game...I'd rather have my cake and choose to eat it than be given no cake at all (I'll be telling Nintendo in the post play survey but given about 6 people own the CCP it probably won't go anywhere).

chadboban

Wuh? Then I really don't have much of a problem with it then. Are the screenshots saved to your SD card or something?

Top Bottom