• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Noah Hawley Developing Doctor Doom Movie for Fox

Slayven

435684-books_of_doom_5.jpg

Anything less they can keep and burn

Sojgat

Whatever. I'll celebrate if and when it ends up being good.

With the rights to the X-Men and F4, Fox could actually be doing a better Marvel cinematic universe than Marvel is.

But yeah, one decent Wolverine movie in 17 years is pretty good too.

If he doesn't literally outsmart Satan at some point, they can go fuck themselves.

PixelatedBookake

meh whatever, at the end you're just going to find out it was a doombot the whole time and not actually dr. doom

Okay real talk? That has to be the dumbest thing about Doctor Doom and stories that involve him fighting heroes that AREN'T the FF. The heroes have to win, but there's always this cop-out of Doom having a near identical robot copy of himself doing whatever the fuck fighting Spider-man or whatever. I guess this makes him look more competent as a villain, but it was super lazy whenever I read a comic which did this. Anyways...

They would need the FF, or at least Reed, to make this work. My favorite part of Secret Wars (2015) was seeing Doctor Doom humbled to the nth degree by Reed Richards and admitting he fucked up. Tbh I'd like to think fans of Doctor Doom like seeing the ego-maniac jerkass getting out thought by greater genius.

Deadpool and Logan both had sub-$100 million dollar budgets. We're probably looking more at that kind of scope here, more freedom.

She's coming to Freeform in Marvel's New Warriors.

Yeah, keep it lower budget if necessary.

If Doom if the lead, though, I wonder if they'd be comfortable with Mads Mikkelsen in the role. They'll probably go with Alexander Skarsgard or something.

Bronx-Man

Banned
In 12 years we should have gotten to Puppetmaster or Mole Man or the Skrulls or the Frightful Four by this point.

But nope, we're doing Viktor Vaughn for the 3rd damn time now.

I always wondered how villains studios rights work in these deals. Hasn't Doctor Doom faced numerous other marvel characters? Why does fox only get to use him?

You start the movie with some poor bastard trying to step up to Doom in Latveria and Doom disintegrates that person and says, "Does anyone else object to Doom's leadership? No? Well then be on your way."

PixelatedBookake

Okay so I loved this story, but we would either need an amazing story before that gives context to Doctor Doom as a character to appreciate his backstory, or a movie that comes after that is so baller, it justifies the existence of an entire movie to build up this one villain who is gonna lose at the end.

True Fire

This has no chance of being good. It breaks my heart to see Fox and Sony repeatedly fail at bringing Doctor Doom and Venom to the big screen. Enough is enough.

Poppy

i actually dont know anything about comics

doom is a sorcerer or something now right? can doombots do magic

I don't know. Most of the time with Fox, nothing is better than something. Where superhero films are concerned.

I don't even expect the film to get made at this point though, I just want a worthwhile Fantastic Four related project at this point. Fox's attempt to hold onto the rights to the property have downright pathetic at points.

I always wondered how villains studios rights work in these deals. Hasn't Doctor Doom faced numerous other marvel characters? Why does fox only get to use him?

At a high level, Marvel signed a contract with them that said they had exclusive live action movie rights to XYZ characters. Even though they say family of characters and whatnot, it's likely they have a comprehensive list as addendum. Sony email leaks implied as much. It is NOT where the character first appeared as some people believe (i.e. Wolverine first appeared in the Hulk, but his rights are with Fox).

Sponge

Banned
This has no chance of being good. It breaks my heart to see Fox and Sony repeatedly fail at bringing Doctor Doom and Venom to the big screen. Enough is enough.

I'll admit I'm salty the Fantastic Four rights are still at Fox, but I still think this will be good. You're right about Venom though.

number11

Noah Hawley is one of the best talents around... yet it has no chance of being good?

With Deadpool and Logan, I love how Fox now seem to be giving the creative team full control.

Gartooth

I'm so conflicted about this news. I'm excited that maybe this is the big screen Doom everyone has been waiting for? Need to hear and see more about this though given Fox's handling of... well of everything ever with the Fantastic Four.

True Fire

Bendis is an insult to Doom.

God I can't stand modern Marvel. They're truly a parody of themselves. They reboot every five minutes, wipe their ass with continuity, and keep the characters trapped in an endless vortex of movie tie-ins.

They're not failing because of diversity, they're failing because they hate their characters.

Doom's origin deserves it's own movie. I worry because it's Fox but this would be a perfect lead in to a FF reboot. It would be smart to get back in peoples good graces with a good Doom solo movie so people don't automatically dismiss a new Fantastic Four movie just on the names history alone.

I'm so conflicted about this news. I'm excited that maybe this is the big screen Doom everyone has been waiting for?

That is where I am. Great creative talent assigned to it, but it is still Fox in the end. However, they were smart enough to get the fuck out of the way of Tim Miller and James Mangold. Maybe they learned their lesson and will let the talent just go hog wild with the source material and deliver the goods.

LotusHD

Banned
After seeing Legion, especially all the crazy shit they did with the villain, I'm a believer that this can work. Or at the very least, look really fucking pretty.

Top Bottom