• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nolan North Thread

GSR

d0c_zaius said:
He totally needs to do an evil, fucked up badguy in some game.

tVHfF.jpg

Antagonist? Not necessarily. Evil, fucked up badguy? Absolutely.

I was thinking about this thread while listening to this week's Bombcast, and now it gets bumped. Time to spend half an hour updating the OP, haha.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
An update on the WORLD'S GREATEST VOICE ACTOR:

How versatile is this guy? He was PENGUIN in Arkham City and NO idea. So when you consider his role in Ratchet and Clank, Batman, and others (like Saboteur), he probably IS in every game. His performances are always great, and since he can do so much with his voice, I can't complain.

Cruzader

Banned
Is he voicing Drake in U:GA? Anyways this guy has a long career. I thought he started this Gen. Didn't know he did more than that huge list. Mad props to him. He should get Emily Rose as a gift from Sony.(lol)

The Line comes out in 2012... but the OP has it in 2010. What madness is this!?

I look forward to North's performance as a soldier going crazy in Dubai. North has yet to perform a poor performance (in my eyes anyway).

Is he voicing Drake in U:GA? Anyways this guy has a long career. I thought he started this Gen. Didn't know he did more than that huge list. Mad props to him. He should get Emily Rose as a gift from Sony.(lol)

Yeah, he plays Drake in Golden Abyss.

I want Emily Rose as a gift from Sony.

dralla

He was incredible as Penguin in Arkham City, maybe his best work to date. It's too bad he voiced every single NPC in that game. It got incredibly annoying hearing him every 5 seconds

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
He was incredible as Penguin in Arkham City, maybe his best work to date. It's too bad he voiced every single NPC in that game. It got incredibly annoying hearing him every 5 seconds

Does Nolan North talk to Nolan North though?

Carbonox

He's alright. I only like him when he's not doing the Drake voice (unless it's his normal voice as I've never heard him speak normally before). The Drake voice irritates the fuck out of me now and really puts me off. It's one of the biggest letdowns of the AC series, despite the series being one of my favourites, and he only voices Desmond. That's enough to grind my gears. Same voice for the main character in Dark Void irritated me also.

Can't see how people like that same voice in so many things. It's horrendous.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
He's alright. I only like him when he's not doing the Drake voice (unless it's his normal voice as I've never heard him speak normally before). The Drake voice irritates the fuck out of me now and really puts me off. It's one of the biggest letdowns of the AC series, despite the series being one of my favourites, and he only voices Desmond. That's enough to grind my gears. Same voice for the main character in Dark Void irritated me also.

It is basically just his voice. I agree though that in Dark Void I am sure they just asked him to do the Drake voice and mannerisms.

I have never understood this gripe. How he sounds in Uncharted, AC, Dark Void, and the upcoming Spec Ops game is his own voice. I've listened to plenty of interviews with him, that's his regular voice.

Derrick01

Banned
My mind was blown when I found out he voiced Penguin. That was some real top notch VA, the guy's got talent. Seriously though tone it down to like 1 major role and only 1 random enemy role per game.

DonMigs85

Nolan was great as this guy. Really versatile voice and a change from the usual wisecracking protagonists.

458px-Sigma.png

On a side note, Orvus was voiced by Charles Martinet.

Nolan North is a lot like the unreal engine.

A lot of studios use it but its only when its in the hands of a truly talented developer that it really shines.

Naughty Dog are his Epic games. They basically helped invent the stock Nolan North performance with Nathan Drake.

In other games the developer could just be lazy and tell him to just do the drake voice. Examples being PoP 08, Dark Void.

But in the hands of Valve and Insomniac and Rocksteady his VO is great AND I wouldn't believe he was in there games unless I read it elsewhere.

I certainly think that Nolan North and Phil Lamaar (yeah, the guy from the early life of Mad TV) are the two best voice actors in the in the business right now. They have so much range and talent it is ridiculous!

Outside of Uncharted he doesn't seem to get any roles that really stand out to me. As far as a full career overlook goes, I don't feel like he's much better than say, Cam Clarke for example.

I feel there's a Troy McClure x Nolan North "You might remember me from such games as..." meme in there somewhere.
Dude's prolific as all hell; too bad he will always be Drake to me and that's all I hear whenever he speaks.

Top Bottom