• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notorious joke characters of GAF past

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Serenade said:
It's fun to act silly. No fear of recourse to your real life identity, anonymity, the internet is a joke, etc

But don't you think that has to get tiring after some time? Someone mentioned Kittonwy - how do you do that for years?

Narag

Wallach said:
But don't you think that has to get tiring after some time? Someone mentioned Kittonwy - how do you do that for years?

Belief, or as the uncharted poster he inspired, a mild case of autism.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Wallach said:
Some of them get so absorbed in it and the attention that they consider it their gimmick, which grants them notability (or notoriety)
Kittowny makes serious posts in Sony threads sometimes. I guess that balances things out.

paparazzo

-PXG- said:
Drinky isn't banned. His tag says he is, but he isn't. He'll post once in a while. That, or I'm going insane. I could be wrong.

Man, you guys must really hate Costzana. Poor guy. I've known him for years. I think since 2006. He's a pretty nice kid, but has some (okay...a lot) of social anxiety issues. I admit, he can be kind of odd and have random mood swings from time to time. I talked to him the other day. He moved Cali and is much happier now.

Oh yeah, he wasn't a joke character by the way. Again, just sort of socially inept and bad at handling himself on and offline.
That isn't too surprising. What is, however, is a post that I remember from almost two years ago when he said he was disappointed that he couldn't vote for Obama due to being a year or so too young and someone else said (paraphrasing): "You're under 18? From the way you post I'd always thought you were an adult." :lol

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Crushed is the only poster I'm certain was a joke character. Everyone else I don't know. I thought fistful was. I have no beef with costanza and actually miss him being around.

I miss Crushed. He entertained me. :(

Narag

People were railing against the idea of Bioshock being ported to Wii claiming the graphics couldn't be done on the console so Crushed used the minimum PC settings to create an approximation and the ensuing post.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Costanza was a joke character. He had some bad posts like bragging about paying a penny for the Humble Indie Bundle.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Wallach said:

I would imagine that for some people, their real lives are so pathetic that the opportunity to pretend to be somebody else is addicting to them. There are times when I wish I could just show up at a poster's house and see if they are really as mouthy and cocksure irl as they are online.

a Master Ninja said:
ne6n1f.gif

Some say that Crushed was seriously wounded, but the soul still burns...But that might all be hogwash. I loved Crushed. I want Crushed back so bad. He made me laugh so many fucking times. Is there no possible way we can get our old Crushed back? :(

Astrolad, Chinner and Dookake always have some one liner or something that makes me laugh, but I wouldn't call them joke characters. They're just funny guys, I guess?

PS. Costanza could not have been a joke character.

siddx said:
I would imagine that for some people, their real lives are so pathetic that the opportunity to pretend to be somebody else is addicting to them. There are times when I wish I could just show up at a poster's house and see if they are really as mouthy and cocksure irl as they are online.
Here's all the proof in the world that I'm slightly unhinged.

11lq241.gif

33eiy4z.gif

2mhu0ch.gif

siddx said:
Plus you provide 80% of gaf's daily nipple requirements.
It's surprisingly easy to nipple.

S1lent

Both fistful and costanza have admitted to being exaggerated versions of themselves.

I'm pretty sure docpan is a joke character, but not positive. Either way, he's the most entertaining. :lol

siddx

Thunder Monkey said:
Here's all the proof in the world that I'm slightly unhinged.

11lq241.gif

33eiy4z.gif

2mhu0ch.gif

It's surprisingly easy to nipple.

No, this is proof you are awesome.

And there is no nipple like lion monkey nipple

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
teiresias said:
Wasn't a joke character, but he migrated around the tech forums so much afterwards it was funny seeing him pop-up everywhere.

2wcfk9w.jpg

This.

Was more a fan of the Old School Joke Characters. They probably predate the term "Joke Character"

siddx

DOO13ER said:
I just noticed that the nipple sprouts a nipple.

What the fuck is going on here...

I just assumed it was getting glass cutters in excitement.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
This is unusual for me and there are very few people online or in real life that I have any beef with.

Thing is that I didn't want to judge him too harshly because for all I knew, he was just some kid just finishing/barely out of high school. I certainly had some obnoxious opinions of my own at that age so I tried my best to disregard him and his blatant trolling. I try to live my life in as mellow a way as possible, so subconsciously hating on Costanza whenever I saw him post something stupid in OT was, like, messing with my cool, man.

Holy crap, this was exactly the same for me.

I HATED costanza, which for me is a big deal. I rarely ever hate anyone.

siddx

Lonestar said:
:lol

Oh man, did I loathe that guy at the time.

I always wondered what he did that was so bad it got his named banned. Probably just too many people talking about him post ban but I like to pretend he did something really horrible, like fedexed every gaf member a box of his own feces.

Wallach

DOO13ER said:
I just noticed that the nipple sprouts a nipple.

What the fuck is going on here...

I won't lie I can't tell at all what the fuck is going on in his avatar. All I see is a face and I think a tail. The rest of it makes no sense to my eyes.

Edit - Oh shit, what about that one guy who was fucking crazy about Nintendo's "blue ocean" strategy and rode that one blogger's nuts who was always talking about the concept of value innovation and shit. Ghost something?

viciouskillersquirrel said:
What makes you say that?

I remember being a 17 year old. Costanza was basically exactly what I remember of my late teen years. Nothing about him in any of the threads I saw him in gave me the impression he was a joke character. He was all about Community GAF and Rock Band GAF and all that. He gave opinions on everything, and none of it came off as kidding.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't think Costanza was outlandish enough to be a joke character. He may have exaggerated himself at times, but it happens to almost everyone who posts on a message board. I did the same thing when I was at G4. I think he started to mature and wanted to divorce himself of blame by saying he was always a joke character. It's kind of taking the easy way out.

SapientWolf said:
F I S H * *

Who?

Lonestar said:
This.

Was more a fan of the Old School Joke Characters. They probably predate the term "Joke Character"
I like a layered prankster personally.

Everything I'm not.:lol

Anihawk and drinky have given me more legit laughs then most. My shtick is all about spontaneity. Whatever tromps through my head if I think it has any chance of eliciting a laugh from someone somewhere I tend to do it. I skirt the edges of good taste with some of them, but it's honestly better then someone laughing at a skinless dog dying.

Most are directed towards myself, to offend nothing but sensibilities. I have a lot of fun here, a lot of fun and I try to pass that on with lighthearted whimsy.

If I ever step over the boundary one of the mods will smack me down. I won't fault them for it because it's their job to do so. I have a lot of respect for the mods here because watching over tens of thousands of man-children is a hell of an undertaking.

Especially when they are as frisky as GAFers.

*purrs*

siddx said:
I just assumed it was getting glass cutters in excitement.
I was going to go for three, but it kept adding 40k to the image. :(

Narag

He was perma'd for years of shilling and mods had enough when he posted PS3 news in the middle of some 360 tournament thread or some such.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Narag said:
He was perma'd for years of shilling and mods had enough when he posted PS3 news in the middle of some 360 tournament thread or some such.

Man, the great ones never go out in a blaze of glory. Always silently into the night...

This thread is full of characters who are NOT joke characters.

Drinky
Astrolad

Those are joke characters.

Costanza? Just an asshole.

Forza? Probably a mix. The racism was real, but the thousands of girls he slept with? Probably not.

Fistful's thread where he revealed his obsession with Natalie Portman was awesome. He's just like, "Hey guys, so I finally decided to organized my photos..", and goes on to show his 30,000 photos of her. Everyones like, "Er... not normal.":lol

Apparently he still posts on GAF under an alt account. According to one of the "GAF 3.0 Confessionals"

Narag

Andrex said:
Man, the great ones never go out in a blaze of glory. Always silently into the night...

He wasn't great in the least, helped make gaming side unreadable at times, and was all around annoying.

jamesinclair said:
This thread is full of characters who are NOT joke characters.

Drinky
Astrolad

Those are joke characters.

Costanza? Just an asshole.

Forza? Probably a mix. The racism was real, but the thousands of girls he slept with? Probably not.
Dammit!

I'm wearing assless chaps!

What do I have to do to not get taken seriously around here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom