• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now second screen gaming is dead, can we agree it was a bad idea in the first place?

It was nice on the DS, the 3DS killed off a lot of its use with 3D only being on the top screen and hence reducing the bottom screen to just being UI elements. The WiiU never did much with it outside of Mario Maker.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
A bunch of people in here never played Nintendoland, it seems.

Multiplayer games where the person with the gamepad is doing different stuff than the people with the controllers were awesome. I wanted more to be done with it but nothing really did.

It is why I'm excited for Playlink, though. Hidden Agenda is one of the games that I'm most excited about coming out of E3.

OP, on some level, you must have known this was gonna be a thread-backfire.

A bunch of people in here never played Nintendoland, it seems.

Multiplayer games where the person with the gamepad is doing different stuff than the people with the controllers were awesome. I wanted more to be done with it but nothing really did.

It is why I'm excited for Playlink, though. Hidden Agenda is one of the games that I'm most excited about coming out of E3.

Yeah Nintendoland nailed it.

I loved The World Ends With You, but the dual screen battle mechanics were by far the weakest part of that game. I could only get through it because the game was easy enough that it didn't really force you to engage with them much.

Hylian7

First of all, second screen gaming ain't dead. 3DS is alive and well and Nintendo still plans to support it.

Regardless, no it wasn't a terrible bad idea. You only mention the Wii U in the OP, which for the most part was a bad idea, although it had it's perks. It did work well for stuff like inventory management in Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD, but a lot of the other stuff it was used for (other than off-TV play) felt pretty unnecessary. It had it's occasional minor conveniences, but they were still things that could be displayed on the main screen just fine. Example would be Tokyo Mirage Sessions, how during battle you could enemy stats without cluttering the main screen, but again that wouldn't add that much clutter to the main screen.

As for the DS and 3DS, it was a great idea there. Both of those systems brought us so many great games that utilized dual screens well. One of the best (avatar quote), was The World Ends With You. Also 999: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors is a great example.

Maedhros

It was only good for maps and point/click games. But the second one can be made on a single screen, so I don't really care. Good riddance.

Hylian7

You know, that's a fair enough position to take

That said, The World Ends With You is also on iOS, is it not?

But my phone only has one screen...

It is, although wasn't it one of the games affected by the iOS update.

However that version is with a very gimped battle system. I don't really recommend it.

Logash

I enjoyed the utility of it on my 3DS but for me personally it was not essential and it will not be missed. Do I hate it? Nah it wasn't as bad as some people think but I don't care either way.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
more asymmetrical games were what the Wii U needed. Only really saw those at launch.

Imagine Dead By Daylight with the survivors playing on splitscreen while the killer has their own view on the Wii U Pad. Shit like that would have made for some great local multiplayer experiences.

redcrayon

I didn't think it worked well on WiiU, but loved it when the screens are next to each other on DS/3DS.

Hotel Dusk/Last Window in book mode was cool.
Etrian Odyssey was probably my favourite new IP last gen.
It put a lot of the supporting info in Fire Emblem (and loads of other RPGs) immediately accessible without crowding the HUD.

All in all I think the dual screen clamshell concept on portables has been fantastic, but if WiiU was a necessary step to reach the Switch, it failed to prove that off-tv play on a screen you need to look down at provided much. It was nice to play console games in bed, but I basically treated it as a portable tethered to the base unit rather than ever really playing with both screens at once.

oni-link

Woof, this is a helluva thread backfire if I've ever seen one.

The thread premise is "can we agree" and it seems that we can't

But you must have never seen a thread backfire before you if think this is one, there are lots of people on both sides, and most of the people who say they disagree with the premise are not giving many good examples of what gameplay innovations the concept offers

Though I accept people can still like it if only for the smoother experience it offers in terms of map screen etc

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I was never a big fan. Sure it was handy for inventory, maps etc., but not worth the tradeoff of having garbage tier low res screens to keep the price affordable. Much prefer the Switch (and the Vita before it) with having one nice screen. Graphic/image quality is more important to me than the few second screen conveniences I liked, or paying way more to have two high quality screens (or even one with a shitty second screen).

There weren't any gameplay innovations I liked, but I hate touch screen shit so none of it was for me. I guess the 2nd screen stuff on Wii U had some options some liked for local MP, but I never do local MP so moot for me. Hated it for stuff like Star Fox Zero.

Not dead until the last 3DS/2DS rolls off the line.

Ahh Wii U focused. Hmmm. Scratch that. It had it's moments, could have been better.

Shame there was never a port of Baby Pacman for the Wii U, because it would have done the maze/pinball combo perfectly.

Giolon

I have to disagree with the OP on Splatoon 2 working fine without the 2nd screen map. I hate it. I no longer have a good sense of the state of the game or location of my team available at a glance. Now in order to get that info I have to essentially pause...in a multiplayer online game and lose control and awareness of my character in order to glean that information.

It's inferior to how it was on the original. They should give an option for a minimal or something at least.

It was great for cleaning up the UI on many 3/ds games, especially RPGs. Buuuut, you could also argue that just compensated for the puny screen size, which no one should have a problem with nowadays with TVs and even the Switch screen. Still, I'll miss the unique opportunities it provided, like book mode and using the touch screen without obscuring the screen itself, but I can live without it.

UCBooties

Counterpoint: Etrian Odyssey and Fire Emblem are awesome with dual screens.

I have loved it since the original DS and there are still great games coming out for the 3DS.

Mark1

Considering the 3DS is still selling relatively well I wouldn't say it's dead yet. Dual screen gaming was great fun - especially on the original DS.

But I prefer how the Switch is single screen though. There's no way it'd have that same stunning screen otherwise

Paltheos

What? No. 2 screen gaming is great, especially for portables. The small screen sizes mean you can't clutter up a primary screen with additional info (maps, menus, etc.) without hurting the experience. And I mean, you could pause to stop the whole experience, but the convenience of a second screen, especially for those maps, streamlines the whole experience.

SkylineRKR

It was a bad idea. I am focused on the actual gameplay. I don't have issues with bringing up a menu on the same screen.

suaveric

I agree with the OP, it was not as big of a deal as having a touch screen. That's what was really innovative on the DS. All you need to know about the lasting legacy of the second screen is how poorly it was used on the 3DS and the Wii U. Nintendo themselves couldn't come up with interesting ideas to use the second screen for and that's what they're known for.

It wasn't a terrible idea but it just wasn't good enough to really change the game going forward. Plus it was a huge contributing factor to why the Wii U bombed.

What, no. The DS and 3DS created some amazing experiences only possible with two screens. Even just having the map on the second screen was a game changer.

The important thing is that the dual-screen era won't be passing us by without a Metroid to call its own.

If anything, the Splatoon 2 Testfire showed me how dropping the second screen could be a strict downgrade for certain games. I love the Switch conceptually, top to bottom, but if market circumstances were different and the Wii U were somehow implausibly a success, I would have been happy to ride out the Wii U for another few years. It's just that the concept was unfinished in so many ways, most notably in the GamePad's lack of full portability for single-screen off-TV, and the paradigm shift in mass consumer computing towards capacitive multi-touch made precision stylus play look passé to the point that the Wii U accommodated or even encouraged blocky finger input in many of its games.

The DS family was a better execution of the concept in most respects, though, with the bottom screen serving as a versatile extension of the UI. I just know I'll miss it in the next Fire Emblem.

As with playing Four Swords Adventures with four GBAs and a GameCube, what is excellent for game design is not necessarily what is good, convenient, or desirable for consumers. That is very much how I continue to perceive the Wii U. It had a lot of virtues that won't be replicated anytime soon and a ton of design potential that didn't get properly explored because the system foundered too quickly for that to happen.

It wasn't the worst idea for portables, though there's really nothing you can do with 2 screens that you can't also do with just one larger screen (a la 2DS).

But it was the worst idea on the Wii U. On a portable, those 2 little screens are both in your field of view. On a console, that's not true, and looking back and forth is stupid. How Nintendo didn't realize this the first time they programmed one of the screens to say "Look at the other screen now" is beyond me.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Liked the idea on DS and 3DS, and think it works really great with the clamshell design - which is also good for a rugged portable device.

Wii U had many issues, but I feel one of the big ones wasn't so much the basic concept, as clunky execution. The gamepad casing was too big and heavy, the screen too small and low resolution. There are still Wii U games I play like Nintendoland and Zombi U that wouldn't be the same on any other piece of hardware.

It's one of those situations where a concept may not be that great for a generic, general purpose device; yet is not simply bad in and of itself.

CamHostage

Every game controller should have had a map and an offscreen means of making choices in a multiplayer game.

The Dreamcast should have opened eyes, even with its rudimentary technology, to what could be done with a screen device built into the game pad. And the Wii U should have been proof positive that games are better without pause menu inventory screens. Only Nintendo DS really capitalized on the potential there, and even that massively successful platform has been largely slighted for the convenience and versatility it brought to gaming, and that's a shame. We have the technology, but because we've underutilized it, we've dismissed it as a "bad idea."

Every time we griped, "The second screen is just a map," we marginalized the enormous value that having a map in our hands gave us.

Nothing inherently wrong with it. Nintendo's implementation was flawed. Didn't stop some developers from working well within the limitations.

I personally hated it. You can have 1 quality screen or 2 sub par screens where 1 isn't even utilized properly most of the time or outright ignored.

Kirlia

Banned
Can't speak for the Wii U, but my DS and 3DS have given me some of my favorite games ever. The World Ends With You, 999, the Etrian Odyssey series...second screen gaming was definitely not "a bad idea in the first place"'.

onipex

OP its only a matter of time until Nintendo lets you use two or more screen gaming on the Switch.

It already works in handheld mode so they juat need to let it work in TV mode.

ohlawd

second screen gaming is so convenient. if a game had its inventory and map on the bottom it's easily much better than the same game with only one screen

Kwame120

Banned
I loved it. Thinking of going back to Fire Emblem and Pokémon without dual-screens gives me nightmares, the use of dual-screens in RPGs on the DS and 3DS was top-notch.

Kraq

Loved the dual screen approach to gaming. The 3DS especially had flaws, but that was its finest aspect.

mclem

Absolutely

lOE82Li.png

resoundingly

gUXkOrM.jpg

no

EI1xoiD.jpg

Second screen gaming is hot garbage. Huge drain on battery resources for stupid crap that can be better displayed through UI tweaks. Just allocate a button, or place on a touch screen for quick reference to UI or map functions.

Any time you're looking at another screen, you're not focused on the primary, which is wasted design.

In the case of the 3ds, the second screen wasn't 3d.

Games like Zombi U while not as intuitive, are still totally playable with the world not pausing while looking through your bag.

In my opinion, two screen gaming is a huge mess, I'm so glad it's gone.

Mozendo

How can any say it was a bad idea when we have gotten amazing games like Trauma Center, Hotel Dusk, Etrian Odyssey, Scribblenauts, and Elite Beat Agents?

Kenai

There are quite a few games I can think of in my library, ranging from lower key/cult classics stuff like the TWEWY, EO, EBA and Knights in the Nightmare, to bigger hits like Pokemon/Splatoon/Mario Maker, in which the game lacking dual screen will be an objective downgrade and inferior to the dual screen version.

So I very much disagree with the OP. Even if quite a few games.ports will adapt without it (Pokemon at least should be just fine), that doesn't stop the superior versions from retaining their status.

mas8705

How is the second screen gaming dead if there are still 3DS titles coming out? Not to mention that games where you can play with your smart device proves that not only is 2nd screen gaming alive, but it is definitely ongoing in spite of the Wii U coming to a close.

MadMod

I thought you would be talking about the second screen experience the PlayStation and Xbox did. Where you could use your phone as a second function for the game. Believe the Xbox one was called smartglass. Didn't find that appealing at all.

Jacqli

It was a bad idea to have two screens with different sizes, I liked how it was used on the original DS quite a lot actually.

darscot

I'm with the OP that the second screen was never really that big a deal. Lots of amazing games on DS but most of them would have been just as awesome on a single screen.

Top Bottom