• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now second screen gaming is dead, can we agree it was a bad idea in the first place?

KDR_11k

Meh, the best proof that dual screen gaming adds to games is Chou Soujuu Mecha MG:

latest

Spiritual successor to Robot Alchemic Drive.

chousouju-mecha-mg-20060912103355453-1667634.jpg
t6l5n.jpg
chosoju_mecha_mg_nintendo_ds_008.jpg

Note how the bottom screen's controls change with every mech. There are dozens of mechs in the game and each has its own control panel and idiosyncrasies. Also because it's Sandlot you can pick up buildings and use them as clubs. And the framerate often goes to hell.

It's a fine idea.

What it isn't is worth a premium price without a library to justify that price, nor is it some kind of life-changing innovation that makes games magically worth playing.

VLiberty

Do you really think Nintendo had to choose between more power and another screen?

who talked about power?

the second screen forced them to use the clamshell design for DSs and 3DSs, which is less ergonomic than the classic design. it's even worse on 3DS, as there isn't enough space to have the dpad and the second analog stick placed in a reasonable spot, which led to the former being unusable, and the latter being excluded from the first models as a whole, only to be introduced as that "thing" they put on the New revisions

dual screen and clamshell are finally gone, and the Switch is hugely benefitting from this

guyssorry

No way. Plenty of games, especially RPGs, were much more convenient thanks to the second screen. Even TPHD/WWHD were a lot better with it.

manfestival

If you want proof that second screen gaming was a terrible idea. I have one thing that needs to be mentioned : kid icarus. Drops mic

trikster40

If more companies had used it properly, I think it was a great idea. The few games that used it were quite beneficial. I'd mark spots on the map in AC: Unity. I wish Ghost Recon used it, I hate having to constantly put waypoint on maps, switch out loud puts, etc. nothing like getting shot while trying to figure out where you're heading.

It's a shame really.

Etrian Odyssey.

Drpgs just aren't the same without mapping. Its how i played wizardry back in the day and it's always a treat to do in game that easily.

OryoN

Nah b. The feature was awesome, but - like with any feature - it comes down to implementation.

Also, let's not forget, off-screen gameplay was another awesome feature, made possible by having a second screen (besides your stationary display). While you still use only one screen in this mode, the point was that a second display was essential. This was the first major step toward the ultimate goal of taking our exact same home-console experience gaming on the go. Swith was born out of that dream, so I can't see how it was a bad idea at all.

The best games that utilize second-screen gaming were the DS Kirby games like Canvas Curse and Mass Attack.

Otherwise it was ok for having a constant map/item screen.

Ironballs

I will definitely buy a second Switch if they offer an optional second screen feature down the line.

It would be even better if this occurred around the same time as the first hardware revision.

KrakaJak

Neo Member
Second screen was awesome, and I am definitely missing it. Things like inventory management and map screens feel like a bullshit compromise when you have to manage them on a controller and/or in the pause screen.

I'm still wishing for a day where I can play the Witcher 3 with the Gamepad for inventory.

really dual screens is a stupid concept. I mean the switch can do almost anything the 3ds did.

I mean its not like you cant divide the switch widescreen into two screens. If you really wanted.

why anyone would want that...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
No, Pikmin 3, several DS games (especially adventure / visual novel ones) and Star Fox Zero / Guard show that it is a great thing to have. Not helping each and every game, but there are a good number of game concepts where it is a great thing. In fact, I have a concept for a Yoshi platformer with dual screens that will sadly never come to fruition.

Keinning

The 3DS has had many amazing games, but I'd argue that it's identity as a handheld has had way less to do with having 2 screens than the original DS did (heck even by the end Pokemon started practically ignoring the bottom screen compared to older entries). .

?
ive used the second screen way more in the 3DS games than in the DS ones. iirc you can beat Diamond/Pearl with one just click (when professor rowan asks you to click the pokeball right at the start). don't even need to do that for HGSS

No. Fire Emblem will never be the same without it.

...You seem to be misunderstanding something if you think the Switch is capable of displaying on two screens at once, though. It's not only that devs aren't doing it / players aren't asking for it; it's just not a thing to begin with, because it can't be (without additional hardware).

While two screens are nice because it gives you double the space for ui, does a turn based game really benefit that much from it? I mean sure one screen can primarily have the action and the second screen has most ui elements, but is a single wide-screen display really a downgrade?

I don't personally think Pokémon or Fire Emblem are going to suffer that much. This is coming from someone who really enjoys tactical turn based games. XCOM does just fine for example.

m.i.s.

Banned
There has always been a vociferous contingent of gamers who've never been on-board with dual screen / touch screen gaming. For these guys, Switch is the spiritual sucessor to the Gameboy Advance that they've always longed for.

How on earth did these gamers cope with 144/160/192/240p portable gaming for so long?

In a similar vein -

Why are people suddenly against the 3DS now?

Top Bottom