• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now second screen gaming is dead, can we agree it was a bad idea in the first place?

bounchfx

it wasn't a bad idea. the DS was great, and the Wii U had potential that unfortunately no one fucking capitalized on

but I'm ok moving on too.

correojon

Well, I´ve only played the testfires, but Splatoon does work much better with a second screen for the map. ZombiU and NintendoLand also made very good use of the second screen and almost the whole DS library as well.

So...no, when used correctly the second screen was a very cool addition, though I agree that at least in WiiU it crashed with other things like OffTv play and not many games used it correctly.

Raven117

With the games that were designed to use it, I thought it was marvelous.

The World Ends with You
Etrian Odyssey games I thought were particularly great uses of it.

Most of the games I played used the second screen as a map or inventory. I'd rather just press start, pause the game and map check and have a bigger higher res screen.

I'm happy with the direction Nintendo have gone... if second screen gaming is dead. We still don't know if they will make another *just* portable machine.

EulaCapra

The only thing that bums me out from the Wii U to Switch transition is that Nintendoland will be more expensive to replicate on the Switch.

But games like Jackbox Party's second screen experience on one TV and a smartphone per player can still prevail couch multiplayer.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
It was a terrible idea on WiiU where you have to look back and forth between the TV and looking down at the crappy gamepad screen.

Dual screen was good on handhelds because the screens are right next to each other. Still I'd take one good screen over two mediocre screens any day.

NewGame

Banned
STILL PLAYING MY 3DS OP. MY STREETPASS RADIO WAVES WILL PENETRATE YOU AND YOU WILL HAVE NO IDEA IT IS HAPPENING. YOU CAN'T STOP ME.

It was bad on Wii U and maybe 3DS. Not on DS. Let me count some of the ways:

0Jvxmu8.png
QsTuguF.jpg
YVx8wZW.png
e8RZMLp.png
8Nxy8y9.jpg
UCZfwSt.jpg
vs1pt1p.png
8QuAmVR.png
tWRFOjP.jpg

This is making me want to create a thread celebrating the unique dual-screen + touch games that developers brought to DS.

I was watching a very old 1UP video review for Hotel Dusk and it was pretty great seeing their reactions to the way the game played, worked, and was presented.

Mokujin

Wii U second screen gaming was stupid but portable dual screen gaming are totally vindicated, so no, we cant agree.

v1oz

But I don't think it actually adds anything super special either. I see people here claiming there's games that could only exist because of the dual screens, and I just don't believe that for a second. Nearly every single one of those games could be made with a larger (touch) screen with higher resolution or one in a vertical position. That's literally it.

You can say for the same for just about all innovations in gaming. Modern games could still exist if we were still stuck without force feedback and dual analogue sticks. Heck we could even still be playing games on QWERTY keyboards. It just wouldn't be as convenient or as fun!

There is actually an advantage to the 3DS's dual offset screen, that is the form factor that takes up less real estate and the portability of the device. Tablets are not as portable as the 3DS, you can't fit them in a back pocket and they don't have enough buttons. A modern thin device in the DS form factor with two hires super amoled displays would always be superior as a portable gaming machine to a tablet with a very tall display.

Roufianos

Such a shit feature. I can't think of a single Wii U or DS game I played that offered anything other than a map or some options.

Bad idea no. Not well executed for consoles with Wii U yes (even if still enjoyable and I don't have a perfect solution) but so well done with DS <3

I'm missing so many of the DS games and I'll miss many of 3DS ones... really hoping Nintendo will find a way to do keep two lines of HW products. 100% portable and hybrid. Don't care for console only since I'd better have compromise with less power but more portability and other innovations (like joy-cons)

Bedlam

Yup.

I always hated it, I always thought it was a bad idea - immersion-breaking and uncomfortable - and I hope it's gone for good.

I did play quite a couple of WiIU games because the games itself were often fantastic but the second screen-part I always hated. No matter what game ... W101, Pikmin3, ZombieU and even Splatoon.

Glad we are over it. Same as with motion controls before.

m00h

Banned
I loved the second screen on the 3DS and I will miss it. I also think the 3D was a great idea, and will miss that two. We'll probably never ever get a second screen and 3D on a handheld again.

Nope, it was absolutely fantastic on the DS and ok/ decent enough on the 3DS to allow for backwardscompatibility and improve game UIs.

I give you the WiiU though. That didn't work out very well.

TSM

The 2DS showed that the second screen was completely redundant as two screen games functioned identically with the single screen the 2DS was equipped with. The real case to be made is the form factor that being dual screen enabled. A single screen with that kind of surface area ends up essentially being a tablet.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
For a handheld it made sense. For a home console it doesn't. I don't want to have to keep looking down at some small screen when I'm trying to see what's happening on the TV.

Yeah, for the Wii U it was an awful idea. The whole premise revolved around you having to take your eyes off the screen and look down and it was never used for anything important. Those people who claim it was absolutely critical in Splatoon just make me laugh, you couldn't afford to spend more than half a second looking at that map because it meant taking your eyes off the gameplay, as a transparent overlay you can play and look at the map at the same time.

For the DS things are a bit different, the two screens were right on top of each other and games rarely required you to look at both at the same time. On that system alone, developers made good use of the dual screens, problem is that by the time the 3DS rolled around all those ideas dried up and it went back to being a map screen again.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
You're crazy OP, dual screen gaming was just fine. Major QoL improvement for many games, whether it was in the form of additionnal screen space for maps, inventory or just extra gameplay space, tactile buttons. There's a healthy number of games released on DS/3DS that just wouldn't be as good on a single screen platform.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
The DS and 3DS were both hugely successful and between them have a ridiculously deep library of excellent games that use a 2nd screen, and use it well. So no, I can't agree it was a bad idea. In fact it was a brilliant idea, for a handheld system.

With hindsight, it was obviously a bad idea to try and recreate the experience for the home console/TV screen. We can't deny that was a failure (despite those few Wonderful Wii U games that properly utilised the gamepad).

Haganeren

It doesn't even need to be "implemented well". One Screen game should "implement well", the UI and the mini map without a second screen... And it rarely ever happen...

So uh yeah, loves the two screns a lot, going back to one screen was always a chore to me.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Since the second screen was there obviously developers found a good way to use it, but i was a bad idea meant to look innovative and to substitute the more conventional but very functional second analog and a touch screen with a higher resolution, you can put all the infos you want on a high resolution screen and have more "free" pixel for the game than on the ds and 3ds and the screen didn't even need to be high res, this is dune 2 on the amiga(1993)

Dune_2_screenshot_attack_on_base.jpg

the original resolution is 320x200, as you can see there are all the infos, options and even some wasted space and despite that the view dimension in pixel is just slightly smaller than ds, if the space was better used the the game view would have had a better resolution than ds main screen with all the infos right in front of you.

It kinda worked on handheld, though I would have preferred Nintendo to continue with GBA style handhelds.

Wiiu was just a horrible product, looking up and down was a bad bad idea.

So yep, GOOD RIDDANCE!

It wasn't so great with the Wii U, but it was incredible with handheld gaming, especially on the DS. I think most of the same functionality will eventually be able to carry over back into traditional gaming via augmented reality (imagine UI elements around an existing screen or even virtual screens), but it'll be a while before that becomes a reality. Until then, dual-screens will be sorely missed.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Hell no. Multi-screen gaming is the best.

I honestly can't even go back to having just one monitor hooked up to my PC. I have three at the moment and it's the bare minimum for me :/

Mmm, not sure I can get on board with the OP. I will say up front that off screen play ended up being more valuable to me than second/two screen play, & as a QOL improvement, easily accessible menu/map etc without having to pause or go to a load screen during main gameplay.

The lego games did some neat co-op on separate screen stuff I'll miss though., & I wish there had been more competitive multi stuff like in Nintendoland with Luigi, Mario Tag & Animal Crossing to do with different player perspectives experimented with. Of course, outside of the Wii U looking at the DS/3DS I couldn't even begin to get behind that second screen game play is a flat mistake.

Did anyone actually read the OP? He's asking specifically in the context of Consoles--using the Wii U is a prime example. Dual Screen is not the same as Second Screen I would argue. On the DS/3DS you had 2 screens within your field of vision, the Wii U had a second screen that was largely a full head turn away from the main screen. I knew early on when the Wii U was announced that it was going to end up being a Map/Inventory screen 90% of the time. The OP doesn't mention the DS or 3DS once, yet somehow people are using it as proof the concept is sound. They are inherently different concepts.

AndrewPL

All the ideas weren't fully explored. Sure splatoon was great but not for second screen it was the motion controls that made it amazing.

The penny arcade idea of a "dm" controlling a party never happened.

Pac man 4 player on GameCube is one of the best uses of a second screen but the Wii u never really succeeded in justifying the concept but that doesn't prove its a bad idea.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
On the DS/3DS you had 2 screens within your field of vision, the Wii U had a second screen that was largely a full head turn away from the main screen...The OP doesn't mention the DS or 3DS once...

This is the point. Gaming with a second screen works perfectly and has been a huge success, on a handheld. The op asks if second screen gaming was always a bad idea. It wasn't. You can't just cherry-pick examples to suit your argument, and ignore whatever disproves it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I remember people passionately explaining how Splatoon can "only work with the gamepad being used as a map" and this was "an essential mechanic of the game", as an excuse for the game not offering Pro controller support. Yet Splatoon 2 seems to work fine with only one screen

There is a reason why Splatoon on Nintendo Switch isn't a port,but a brand new game. Splatoon 2 is designed for Switch.

I'll disagree too. One of the reasons why and how DS and 3DS amassed a huge and great handheld library, and thus winning the handheld war and murdering both Vita and PSP, is due to the dual screens.

This is the point. Gaming with a second screen works perfectly and has been a huge success, on a handheld. The op asks if second screen gaming was always a bad idea. It wasn't. You can't just cherry-pick examples to suit your argument, and ignore whatever disproves it.

As I said, the two implementations are inherently different. I don't hear anyone saying how great 2 screens are for VR.

mieumieu

DS and 3DS are successful and had many great games.

Wii U failed because the secondary screen is away from the primary screen. You need to look back and forth and it is inconvenient. This is not a problem on DS family systems.

I quite liked the 2nd screen. Personally I think the Wii U had many more problems beyond the 2nd screen, and in DS/3DS it really works well. Also, having menus in RPG games displayed in the 2nd screen really helps IMO.

Jaymageck

Many great DS games, that are great in part due to 2nd screen use, would prove you wrong.

I will admit it peaked mid-DS life though. I think the mismatched screen sizes limited it a bit on 3ds.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Its not dead either, considering that Nintendo is still releasing N2DS soon, Sony with the playlink, and multiple home PC monitors setup seem to becoming more common

AniHawk

I can't think of one game that was better because it had two screens.

999 only works because it has two screens.

also, a shitload of ds games were better because of it. using the touch screen as a giant button in games like phoenix wright, or using an entire screen as a map like in castlevania - they were welcome features.

Top Bottom