• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2016

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Legitimately surprised Nintendo has two Wii U games in the Top 10. Considering that they're single SKUs on a console with rather disappointing sales and momentum, I'm really rather shocked.

I hope this means Pokken 2 or Super Pokken on NX might happen.

Sterok

I pegged Pokken at 200K (around what Street Fighter did) and Twilight Princess at 300K. I'm going to guess I underestimated both a little. Now to see how much The Division beast Watch Dogs.

Ivan 3414

One of the few times I've been happy to see a game bomb. Fuck SFV and fuck Capcom's shitty business practices.

They've been dicking around with their fighting games for years as far as I'm concerned. Glad it finally caught up to them.

Go Division, I really enjoyed that game and will be back for DLC definitely.

Also that attachment rate for Nintendo games... if they make another complying console, they could clean up like the Wii-DS days.

Guymelef

Two things.
-SF V is a bomb.
-Seeing some comments I think some people believes the game was launched on March, it's not the first NPD for SFV.

fernoca

Yeah, it's pretty unbelievable that a Zelda game and a Pokemon game could sell decent numbers.

Next thing you know Madden is going to be charting.
Keeping in mind that the "surprise' of many is around the NPD numbers been multi/combined-SKU.

So seeing a single SKU (two in this case) from a "dead platform" is surprising to some.

But Nintendo games tend to do well overall. Yoshi beat the Uncharted Collection and Mario Party 10 managed to make the top 10 despite horrible word of mouth.

Yeap.

I predicted it to not enter in the TOP10 with < 100k.

Good prediction ;)
Well it was expected. :p
Komplete didn't charted in the top 10 back then and a good chunk were from DLC.

Now, seeing if XL beat SFV would be interesting.

thuway

It's really sad to see what happened to Street Fighter 5. It's a really amazing game. Why couldn't they just have delayed it a few months and delivered a complete package? Let's hope Evo pulls more blood into its veins.

Kouriozan

Yeah, it's pretty unbelievable that a Zelda game and a Pokemon game could sell decent numbers.

You know, with the Wii U and the various bomb it got (namely Donkey Kong Returns sequel getting the biggest drop ever), people are certainly not optimistic concerning that console.

TP HD did better than I expected, and Pokkén did MUCH better than I expected. #4 SKU is a MAD result for that game.

A HD remake and a spinoff fighting game on the Wii U. Let's not pretend like these are mainline entries.

Linkhero1

Legitimately surprised Nintendo has two Wii U games in the Top 10. Considering that they're single SKUs on a console with rather disappointing sales and momentum, I'm really rather shocked.

We thirsty breh

What else are WiiU owners going to buy

You know, with the Wii U and the various bomb it got (namely Donkey Kong Returns sequel getting the biggest drop ever), people are certainly not optimistic concerning that console.

Sure, but most big first party titles have still done solid numbers. DKC was an exception, although even that had decent legs.

The problem with the Wii U has never been the sales numbers for Nintendo's biggest franchises. It's been the lack of anything of note in between those.

A HD remake and a spinoff fighting game on the Wii U. Let's not pretend like these are mainline entries.

Of course, but it should still be expected for them to do well given the brands. These are good results, but I don't think that they're shocking results.

Although Pokken getting to number 4 on individual SKUs is better than I would have expected.

cordy

Banned
Sadly, beyond a poorer package than SF has ever launched with before, Capcom may have overestimated the wider demand for another SF game considering how saturated things were already with so much current and last gen SF already available. They definitely need to reboot the game as a modern product or spend a lot money relaunching it with major advertising. Given the numbers known to this point, it really wouldn't surprise me if SF V is the worst-performing installment or spin-off in the series in its first two months to date outside of Fighting Street on the PCE-CD/TG-16. I really hope they're not going to end up putting the series to sleep, like the comatose state it was in after SF III, after their DLC plan is done for the year.

I really think they're going to have to re-release it in another form and just do further advertising for the game so they can make sales. Maybe make a 4 character version for PSN+ one month, add in all the extra, just go overboard and then do a proper release because this is bullshit. You know, it's funny because the hardcore/FGC side have been defending this game heavily "gameplay is all that matters" and "as long as it has, that's all I care about" but the reality is that if this game doesn't sell we won't be seeing another SF for a damn long time. Capcom was banking on this. The sad situation is that if the game sold great with casuals we'd see more additions compared to if it sold to only the FGC. Capcom overestimated the FGC/e-sports side of things and underestimated the casuals and well, this is what happens.

They just fucked up.

They deserve this.

Boke1879

It's really sad to see what happened to Street Fighter 5. It's a really amazing game. Why couldn't they just have delayed it a few months and delivered a complete package? Let's hope Evo pulls more blood into its veins.

With it's update in June they may as well announce it F2P version during EVO. It'll have all the exposure and you could end up getting some people to bite.

Sterok

Why would people be surprised at Twilight Princess doing so well? Ignoring the fact that it's Twilight Princess, did they miss Majora's Mask tearing up February last year? These Zelda rereleases have done well quite often, and the Wii U has enough life in it to give decent software sales to certain titles.

Don't exclusives usually drop out the next month anyway? Why is everyone acting like it is astonishing that SFV didn't chart?

To be fair to SF5 it isn't it's first month so it was expected imo.

Though do we have figures for Pokken?

Games being frontloaded is one thing, but even in its first month Street Fighter's numbers were not good.

If the first month was bad and this is even worse, then it's just not good overall, ESPECIALLY since Capcom wanted 2 million copies by the end of last month. There's no way it's making that any time soon, if at all.

Mael

at people saying "well what were wiiu owners supposed to buy?"
I would answer the same games that sold last month.
It's not a common occurrence to have wiiu games charting.
It bods really, really well for Zelda U.
If Nintendo play its card right Zelda U can be massive.

heidern

Hardware: $253.2 million in March 2016 (down 19 percent from $311.1 million)
Software: $425.8 million in March 2016 (up 8 percent from $395.4 million)
Accessories: $285.1 million in March 2016 (up 9 percent from $261.8 million)

Video game hardware dollar sales declined by 19 percent in March 2016, with unit sales dropping 17 percent,” said Callahan. “The difference in trends was due to some softening of average retail prices of 2 percent versus last March

Portable hardware sales had the highest dollar sales volume decline versus last March, followed closely by [current-generation] consoles,” said Callahan.
“Seventh generation consoles had a steep percentage decline of 78 percent, though those sales now represent only 2 percent of the month’s sales

Software unit sales for [current-generation] consoles increased 36 percent, offsetting the [last-generation] decline of 55 percent,” said Callahan. “This resulted in overall console software unit sales increasing 4 percent, with revenue up 10 percent compared to last March. For Portable software, unit sales and revenue were down 19 percent and 16 percent, respectively, in March 2016 compared to last year.”

Overall sales of new launch titles grew by 26 percent, with those launched in Q1 2016 collectively selling 28 percent higher in March than Q1 2015 launches performed during the same time period last year

Really good software sales especially considering this is physical sales. Hardware not doing so well though. It's gone from $393.4m in March 2014 to $311.1m March 2015 to $253.2m this year. Granted a chunk of that is price cuts.

Too bad the Wii U is reaching the end of it's life cycle. Would have been interesting to see if Twilight Princess could take the top spot for Zelda series (including releases) back from OoT.

As of 2015
Ocarina of Time
64: 7.6 Million
3DS: 3.7 Million

Twilight Princess
Wii: 7.26 Million
GC: 1.43 Million

Top Bottom