• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX launching in March to make sure there are games to go along with it

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Do you guys figure that with the console coming in March, and the possible release of Mass Effect Andromeda in Q1 2017, that it might launch on NX? It would actually not be as stupid of an idea as releasing the last game of a trilogy, without the first 2 games, 8 months later, like they did with ME3.

Or should we ever forget about EA to support Nintendo?

The_Lump

Banned
Do you guys figure that with the console coming in March, and the possible release of Mass Effect Andromeda in Q1 2017, that it might launch on NX? It would actually not be as stupid of an idea as releasing the last game of a trilogy, without the first 2 games, 8 months later, like they did with ME3.

Mass Effect Andromeda was my bet when we heard those rumours of a big studio porting a big game to NX (can;t recall the quote - anyone??).
There's a chance at least, but yeah given EA/Nintendo relations who the hell knows.

Possibilities:

1. The platform has some sort of feature/architecture that makes it harder to develop for than anticipated. (Pray this is not the case.)

2. Nintendo's teams are yet again having "growing pains" adjusting to modern development, as they did during the "HD Shift" (and may have never fully grown out of).

3. There's been a complete refactoring at some point along the line that has caused predictable project overruns on all software development.

4. They're actually doing fine on software, but basically decided they want to "punt" this holiday to avoid the VR and PS4K drop. (This presupposes that the March date will be shockingly missed and they're actually aiming for somewhere in Fall 2017.)

5. The third party support is so completely abysmal that they're basically trying to float a launch window line-up completely solo, and god only knows how you even do that or if it's even remotely possible.

In the same vein as number 5; it could be that the 3rd party support just aint gonna be ready for a Q4 launch. By all accounts devkits have only been in the hands of 3rd parties since late 2015 at the earliest. Certainly plausible that this could be a contributing factor.

jwj442

Remember the theory that the Wii U was a "stopgap console" as part of a convoluted and meticulous scheme devised by Iwata in order to give them time to divert their real resources to the console afterward that would magically do everything right?

It's really funny that, despite the theory's ridiculousness, how plausible it becomes once you see the three or four incredible Wii U ports being targeted for NX's launch.
I think it's a pretty plausible theory. With the restructuring and new building, we know they've had major changes in the works for some time. And if the speculations about a shared handheld-console development platform are true (and there's a lot of evidence to back it up), the gamepad and the large number of Wii/Wii U 3DS ports make sense as a transition.

But that certainly doesn't mean they were counting on the Wii U being such a failure. The EA partnership falling through and major software delays didn't help things, but a lot of is just overconfidence and hubris. They probably thought they could coast for four years and still be moderately successful on the back of the Wii, like at least N64 levels and probably more.

The_Lump

Banned
I think it's a pretty plausible theory. With the restructuring and new building, we know they've had major internal changes in the works for some time. And if the speculations about a shared handheld-console development platform are true, the gamepad and the large number of Wii/Wii U 3DS ports make sense as a transition.

But that certainly doesn't mean they were counting on the Wii U being such a failure. They probably thought they could coast for four years and still be moderately successful on the back of the Wii, like at least N64 levels and probably more. The EA partnership falling through probably didn't help things, but a lot of it is simple hubris.

It's semi-plausible at least. I don't think it was by design or that it was some grand plan by Mr Iwata. But I do think (and have since shortly after WiIUs launch) that early on in WiiUs life Nintendo made a conscious decision to just let it die whilst they frantically tried to restructure internally and re-invent themselves for HD development. Like you say, they probably thought it would coast for a bit longer than it did, but they clearly shifted focus fairly early doors.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If the 3rd party support was anything from decent to great they would have pushed for a holiday release. With a March release I wouldn't bet on anything relevant from the 3rd parties. Maybe Japan to help here a bit. If.

The_Lump

Banned
If the 3rd party support was anything from decent to great they would have pushed for a holiday release. With a March release I wouldn't bet on anything relevant from the 3rd parties. Maybe Japan to help here a bit. If.

This assumes there are zero other contributing factors to the (apparent) move from 2016 to 2017.

And either way if they had an option to launch for holidays, good third party support or not, they would have done.

I don't understand a scenario where they think "huh, 3rd party support is crap, may as well skip the holidays". That makes no sense at all.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

Mike Hickey - The Benchmark Company - Analyst

Cool. Fair enough, thank you. And thinking about Nintendo's NX platform, the dev chips have apparently shipped. It looks like it's working towards
a calendar year 2016 launch. Just wondering how you plan to manage your resources to that emerging platform. Do you anticipate being more
aggressive on the front end? Or perhaps a little bit more cautious, given the Wii U underperformed expectations?

Andrew Wilson - Electronic Arts Inc. - CEO

I'm going to address that slightly differently. As we look to the future, we see a world where more people are playing on more platforms in more
geographies than ever before. We see the platform cycle now, not just as a traditional six-year console cycle, but as a six-month refresh rate on
mobile devices, smart TVs, Internet-enabled refrigerators, or whatever it might be.

And what we're doing, in terms of resource allocation, is really investing at a core digital platform level, at an engine level, and at a game architecture
level, to ensure that we are able to deliver amazing experiences; 6 inches to 60 inches, and beyond; two minutes to two hour session times, and
beyond; across any and all relevant devices where gamers are playing.

And as it relates to Nintendo, we've had a tremendous relationship with them over the years. And we will evaluate any and all opportunities with
them, in the same way we do all platform opportunities
Source: http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...1-87D3-69D737B9FF35/EA_Q2_FY16_Transcript.pdf

Peltz

I'd forget about AAA western support in general. I'd expect the NX's output to resemble something like the 3DS - mostly Japanese third parties and Nintendo's own offerings plus indies from all over the globe.

At most, I'd expect AAA surpport from Square Enix with titles like the new Dragon Quest.

I am really just buying it for Nintendo games... Anything else is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Matbtz

Launching NX Next Year Is The "Proper" Thing To Do, Says Nintendo Boss Tatsumi Kimishima

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ng_to_do_says_nintendo_boss_tatsumi_kimishima

Q: You indicated that building up software is the reason why NX will be released in March 2017, and I know development takes time, but I don't think there's any reason in missing the year-end sales season. When the GameCube was launched in September, I recall that President Yamauchi said that, "It is absolutely imperative that we do not miss the year-end sales season," and after the 3DS launched in February and NX will miss the year-end, making an impression that Nintendo's conventional thinking has changed. Why is NX launching in March?
A: There is no change to our thinking about launch timing. When launching hardware, "How much software can customers play?" is important. Launch timing must be based on that. Customers having more money to spend during the holiday season is one big factor in starting then. But our integrated hardware/software business doesn't end that year, but is something that can continue to be played for several years so we think that "releasing something proper" is the most important thing. By that, we don't think "holiday season timing is a must" but rather that we should launch when we can provide something proper. That point has not changed.

Regarding the focus on 3DS, Kimishima had this to say:

Q: It seems the great reduction in the Wii U hardware sales forecast is influenced by the timing of the NX release, but how about 3DS?
A: This fiscal year, the 3DS has big titles as previously presented, and in sufficient quantity. Both hardware and software will make large contributions to sales. Also, while Wii U sales are forecast to drop to 800,000 units, the upside is that we can focus on the 3DS.
He also addressed NX's software lineup, and the company's aim to ensure that the console will be "profitable" from day one:

Q: While NX details are not being announced today, I want to know about its effect on results for this fiscal year. Previous launches have not had enough titles and were therefore slow to start. Can you promise to have a proper lineup at launch? The Wii U was a net negative, so also in consideration to cost, please tell me how the first year of the NX will contribute to results.
A: As the concept and other details of NX will be announced another time, I will just answer the points of your question. As you said the software lineup will be built-up. Having a full software lineup when the hardware launches is one reason for the NX launch timing. Also, we must be in a state to release titles not just at launch, but continually afterwards. We are planning for it to be a platform that will be played for a long time. Next, about cost, we aren't thinking of the hardware being unprofitable. When the Wii U launched the exchange rate was that of a very strong yen, and so that we don't have that kind of a situation again, launching as a loss-leader won't be what makes up our business, so that's how we're progressing with NX development.

He also claims that NX, smarphone games and download content will more than make up for the poor performance of the Wii U:

Q: While the forecasted sales for the Wii U this fiscal year are extremely weak, NX contributions to profitability seem to be included appearing to be numbers showing that, "We have some confidence in the NX, which will start with a sprint." Do you believe that the new NX will be able to cover for the decline of the Wii U?
A: We have forecast Wii U sales of 800,000 units for this fiscal year, a decline from 2.4m units last fiscal year. In terms of what will cover for it, essentially, the NX and smart device businesses will be central, and also, the download content business is included

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't understand a scenario where they think "huh, 3rd party support is crap, may as well skip the holidays". That makes no sense at all.

Taking for granted the official excuse, that they delayed NX to have a good launch line-up, this scenario should be pretty self explanatory. If you don't see it, I can't explain it in more details in the next post.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'd forget about AAA western support in general. I'd expect the NX's output to resemble something like the 3DS - mostly Japanese third parties and Nintendo's own offerings plus indies from all over the globe.

At most, I'd expect AAA surpport from Square Enix with titles like the new Dragon Quest.

I am really just buying it for Nintendo games... Anything else is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Yep. Getting support from Japanese devs is key. Those games do well on 3DS, this there well poised to get exclusive since there isn't a big market for JRPGs etc on consoles anymore with the decline of consoles in Japan and the decline of interest in Japanwse games in the west.

And that's a good thing for Nintendo as they need to differentiate themselves from Sony and MS with more than their own games. They don't really need the full support western third parties. No one is buying an NX because of those. They just end up being nice benefits for the Nintendo only crowd.

The_Lump

Banned
Taking for granted the official excuse, that they delayed NX to have a good launch line-up, this scenario should be pretty self explanatory. If you don't see it, I can't explain it in more details in the next post.

But in official excuse scenario, they are waiting til March so that there are games

In your scenario, they are waiting til March cos there are not enough games ready for Holidays ......and there will still be no games in March (except their own of course).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But in official excuse scenario, they are waiting til March so that there are games

In your scenario, they are waiting til March cos there are not enough games ready for Holidays ......and there will still be no games in March (except their own of course).

If some 3rd parties are on board, there are enough 1st party games to cover the rest. If not, the games that should normally come in the next 4 months could make up for that gap.

MacTag

Banned

3DS launched with multiple games from EA and Ubisoft though, plus one from LucasArts. The launch window also included games from Activision, THQ, Disney and WB. And also Sega West if they count.

Also indies didn't start arriving on 3DS until later in the following summer around half a year after launch. Wii U was the system that launched with a good amount of indie games, more than Vita, PS4 or Xbox One even.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I think it's a pretty plausible theory. With the restructuring and new building, we know they've had major changes in the works for some time. And if the speculations about a shared handheld-console development platform are true (and there's a lot of evidence to back it up), the gamepad and the large number of Wii/Wii U 3DS ports make sense as a transition.

But that certainly doesn't mean they were counting on the Wii U being such a failure. The EA partnership falling through and major software delays didn't help things, but a lot of is just overconfidence and hubris. They probably thought they could coast for four years and still be moderately successful on the back of the Wii, like at least N64 levels and probably more.

Nintendo originally forecasted 9M sold in the first year and ended up selling just 2.5M IIRC. I think Nintendo honestly expected Wii U to be a hit. They clearly were trying to expand on the ideas that made Wii and DS so successful (motion controls, touch screen, underpowered hardware with decent profit margins, safe sequels to long-runnung franchises, etc).

In retrospect, Wii U will probably be THE canonical case study of how not to create a console. But at the time, I think Nintendo truly thought Wii U would be a hit, and that it could be turned around after the poor launch.

takriel

It really seems like they are preparing for NX to launch smoothly with enough software to go along with it and ensuring that there are no major software droughts after the launch window. Can they actually pull it off this time I wonder?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It really seems like they are preparing for NX to launch smoothly with enough software to go along with it and ensuring that there are no major software droughts after the launch window. Can they actually pull it off this time I wonder?

If the library is shared with a handheld, I think they absolutely can.

Majukun

the real problem for them is not so much about if they will have enough games at lauch,but who exactly is gonna be there for them at day one after the non gamers have already migrated to smarthpone a tablets,for the casuals they have been non-existant for years and they treated their loyal customers like shit for 2 consecutive gens by making the console die so young and with no support for the last years of its life.

i'm good with them delaying the console if it's not ready,but at least give the prsent customers something to look forward to so that they will have at least a good memory of your last console and will be more willing to bet AGAIN on your next product

Could mean one of two things, development is going normally (like 3DS and Wii U at launch) but they want to push back the release date to minimize delays (both 3DS and Wii U would've had great launch line ups if pushed back 4-6 months) or software/hardware is behind which can always be the case, especially when building a new iOS-like "platform". Hope it's the first since that could show that Nintendo is learning.
Delaying the reveal would also prevent any Nintendo Land fire works from happening again.
Profitable from day one means either a high launch price or underpowered hardware again.
They said the weaker Yen helps unlike the Wii U.

Pokemaniac

The (unverified) rumor from the main NX will launch in March 2017 thread provides a plausible scenario where they have third part support but need to delay the system to ensure support. That rumor suggests that parts for the devkits are running into production issues, which would cause a shortage of devkits, which would cause delays in third party games (and also gives a decent explanation for why NX is skipping E3).

While we don't know whether or not that rumor is true, something resembling this scenario definitely seems plausible.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The (unverified) rumor from the main NX will launch in March 2017 thread provides a plausible scenario where they have third part support but need to delay the system to ensure support. That rumor suggests that parts for the devkits are running into production issues, which would cause a shortage of devkits, which would cause delays in third party games (and also gives a decent explanation for why NX is skipping E3).

While we don't know whether or not that rumor is true, something resembling this scenario definitely seems plausible.

My post literally starts with the assumption that the official excuse is true.

Now, if we're going to speculate, I also think that a hardware issue is more likely to be the cause of such delay that impacted also the E3 presence.

Profitable from day one means either a high launch price or underpowered hardware again.

3 situations imo:

-a cheap console with not so great power
-a cheap console with moderate power(up to PS4 power), but no expensive gimmicks
-an "pricey" console with close to or at PS4 power and new tech

I'm still thinking 300-350 range.

Now, if we're going to speculate, I also think that a hardware issue is more likely to be the cause of such delay that impacted also the E3 presence.

I don't think you can take to much from the e3 absence as proof of anything. Neither Microsoft or Sony revieled their systems at e3, but private events where the focus is on them. The past 3 years especially, Nintendo has slowly broken the shackles of the e3 promotion machine that plagues this industry.
A private event closer to the actual launch date just makes more sense than the assumption AMD couldn't deliver chips in time for one of their biggest customers, this all this drama.

I don't think you can take to much from the e3 absence as proof of anything. Neither Microsoft or Sony revieled their systems at e3, but private events where the focus is on them. The past 3 years especially, Nintendo has slowly broken the shackles of the e3 promotion machine that plagues this industry.

But Tradition was never meant to be broken though. It says so on the US constitution and my book of Lord Jashin.

Thraktor

They're competing largely against a PS4 which is being sold for a profit and an XBO being sold for a profit. Assuming both of them will be around $300 by the time NX launches, there's nothing to stop Nintendo from releasing a competitive console at the same price. In fact, depending on technological advances made since then, if they wanted to they should be able to put together a console that's more powerful than PS4 (albeit not enormously so) while breaking even at $300.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
A private event closer to the actual launch date just makes more sense than the assumption AMD couldn't deliver chips in time for one of their biggest customers, this all this drama.

Yeah, they slowly broken the shackles of the E3 promotion by getting even more space for some very popular SSB competition and a Nintendo World Championship.

I wish people would stop trying to rewrite history just because Nintendo had a misstep this year. Come on!

Also Sony and Microsoft pretty much used E3 to the maximum to provide more details after their separate reveal.

Koren

Nintendo's aversion to subsidizing hardware has led to poor quality hardware for the last two generations. :(
Not cutting-edge and poor quality are totally different matter. I'd even say that both Wii and Wii U were quality hardware, even if underpowered. Beside the software issue of the fan not running when the Wii was working in its sleep state, they were pretty tough devices, especially at a time where PS360 had issues.

(and the exception in Nintendo history is GC, and to a lesser extend Famicom, all their other consoles used trustable solutions on the hardware side)

Astral Dog

It's been three years since EA supported Nintendo hardware, I think they're done.
Never say never!

Just be cautious and dont expect much, but if EA sees an oportunity to make money on NX, they will take it.

I think Game Cube level support is possible,but there are so many variables and Nintendo needs appealing hardware.

For now i believe we should keep third party speculation to a minimum, when Nintendo finally presents the thing we should have an idea of what they have been doing, in relation to other companies, and that will be interesting.

Mass Effect Andromeda was my bet when we heard those rumours of a big studio porting a big game to NX (can;t recall the quote - anyone??).

I think you're talking about Tantalus saying they were porting a AAA game to Wii U which ended up being Twilight Princess, unless you're talking about something else.

Pokemaniac

This theory doesn't mean the official excuse isn't true, just not the full story.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Whatever. Hard to get hyped right now because I have no idea what the NX is and what it's capable of. I can wait if it gives time for some launch games, but what I Really want is Wii-U backwards compatibility. There's a handful of games I wanted to play on the Wii-U, but couldn't cuz I aint got one.

Don't count on it, and it's not worth it. It would force them to make considerable sacrifices in power to hit the same price target. Just look out for cheap Wii Us.

Astral Dog

the real problem for them is not so much about if they will have enough games at lauch,but who exactly is gonna be there for them at day one after the non gamers have already migrated to smarthpone a tablets,for the casuals they have been non-existant for years and they treated their loyal customers like shit for 2 consecutive gens by making the console die so young and with no support for the last years of its life.

i'm good with them delaying the console if it's not ready,but at least give the prsent customers something to look forward to so that they will have at least a good memory of your last console and will be more willing to bet AGAIN on your next product
But what could they do? They supported the Wii U as best as they could while moving unfinished games to NX, there are quality games on the system. Individually the most popular games got tons of DLC.

Fanboys are angry because,they are desperate to move on from Wii U and Nintendo wont deliver the promise of their dreams this E3

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This theory doesn't mean the official excuse isn't true, just not the full story.

That's a nice way to put it I guess. If there is some hardware issue that caused the delay they get also more time for development, but that would be an effect not a cause.

webster1

Neo Member
This isn't a good thing, in my opinion. They miss the boat with Final Fantasy XV (should they actually get some proper 3rd party support) or any other game. Persona 5 too if that comes out this year and if those were to come with NX.
I would totally change my final fantasy xv Kingdom hearts and start ocean and persona 5 if NX could get them (not port begging since I'm waiting on the ps4 versions >.>)

When is world of final fantasy coming out again? That's cuty chibi enough. And I'd double dip on a final fantasy 7 complete if Nintendo could get it. Otherwise a maybe.

Majukun

But what could they do? They supported the Wii U as best as they could while moving unfinished games to NX, there are quality games on the system. Individually the most popular games got tons of DLC.

Fanboys are angry because,they are desperate to move on from Wii U and Nintendo wont deliver the promise of their dreams this E3
not delaying Zelda just to to make it come out at the same time on NX would be a good start.. just make the game come out on the console it was supposed to come out for. if you are making all those games for the new console, you can afford to give at least one game to the loyal customers.

Mithos

Here is my and EA's problem, I would not buy it day 1, I'd have to wait until the "end of something" so that I know I'd get all updates, DLC extras or whatnot the Xbox/Playstation versions will get.

They're competing largely against a PS4 which is being sold for a profit and an XBO being sold for a profit. Assuming both of them will be around $300 by the time NX launches, there's nothing to stop Nintendo from releasing a competitive console at the same price. In fact, depending on technological advances made since then, if they wanted to they should be able to put together a console that's more powerful than PS4 (albeit not enormously so) while breaking even at $300.

Except Nintendo seem to really struggle to get part prices at decent prices.

In the UK when the PS4 launched the Wii U was £300 and the PS4 was £350.

There's no way the pricing should be that close when the PS4 has much better hardware, more RAM, a hard drive built in etc.

_woLf

I really hope we get more than just the rumored ports then.

"We delayed it until March to make sure it has games! Here's a bunch of games that you can already buy on Wii U."

Thraktor

Except Nintendo seem to really struggle to get part prices at decent prices.

In the UK when the PS4 launched the Wii U was £300 and the PS4 was £350.

There's no way the pricing should be that close when the PS4 has much better hardware, more RAM, a hard drive built in etc.

The Wii U is as expensive as it is for a number of reasons, none of which are that they "struggle to get parts at decent prices".

The first, and most obvious of these is the enormous touch-screen in the controller. If the PS4 had a 6" touchscreen in its controller, with all the additional costs that go along with that (larger battery, custom streaming hardware, SoC on the controller, logistical costs, etc.) you better believe it would have been a lot more expensive than £350.

Secondly, Nintendo's decision to pursue backwards compatibility with Wii U games effectively forced them into using an MCM (multi-chip module) where they combined their separate CPU and GPU dies on a single package. MCMs are far from cheap, and the Wii U is actually the cheapest device around that I can think of that uses one. Here's a quick list of parts which use MCMs off the top of my head:

AMD Fiji GPU - $500+
Intel CPUs with Iris Pro graphics - $300+
IBM POWER8 - Not sold individually, but would be thousands of dollars

The third point, which ties into the second, is that there was relatively little scope to reduce costs over the Wii U's lifetime. The GPU was fabbed on a mature 40nm process and they weren't able to reduce costs with a die shrink due to the lack of eDRAM on 28nm. The CPU probably could have been shrunk, but being such a small die in the first place there wouldn't have been much saving. The MCM packaging itself might have come down in cost a bit, but is still an expensive process. The DDR3 was already mature and cheap, so there wouldn't have been many savings there. The same would be true of most of the controller components.

Finally, the fact that so few consoles were sold would have seriously hindered their ability to reduce the price. Any component which was bought on a contract where costs reduce as a function of units purchased (likely including the CPU, GPU and MCM packaging) would see Nintendo still paying today what they probably expected to pay only a year into production, which means selling the console for the price they may have expected to sell one year in, even though four years have passed and PS4 and XBO are now selling for around the same price.

Anyway, Nintendo shouldn't have any such restrictions this time. It seems very likely that they're going for an AMD SoC (i.e. a single-chip package, like PS4 and XBO), they're unlikely to include Wii U BC, and any new features are unlikely to be anywhere near as expensive as a 6" controller screen. If they want to (which is a big if), they could definitely put out a console more capable than PS4 while breaking even at $300.

Top Bottom