• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC gaf: Video game clothing stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
AstroMan said:
Again, there's nothing cool about that. It looks stupid and only video game players will understand it and then while you and that person are both jerking each other off with various video game references, some people will be gearing up to beat your nerdy ass and rob you.

Ok, so if only video game players will understand it, why would those people be "gearing up" to beat his ass down if they don't know that it's from a video game? How would they know it's nerdy, and why would they waste their time to assault you for wearing it?

I have a gray shirt with a red Halo of the Sun symbol from Silent Hill. Do most people know what it is? No. Do I care? Nope. Will I have to brace myself for any conflict that would arise from wearing it? Not likely. Although, I think I have received some bewildered stares for it, but who gives a fuck? I don't.

Undeux

Ajemsuhgao said:
Looks like a normal guy to me.
Probably because you can't see the giant awkward NES controller on the back of his jacket. :p

That said, I'm not against it for the same reasons other people in the thread have mentioned. I don't have any illusions that you'll get beat up for wearing any of this stuff (as long as you're not in high school), and I'm not personally offended by anyone's style choices or anything, I just don't see the appeal of it. I think I might have when I was 12 or so, but I don't really get it today. I'm not saying nobody should wear any of this, I just don't think it looks very good.

Clydefrog

i might wear this

2k4g2q.jpg

but then people would be touching my stomach all the time.

Undeux said:
Probably because you can't see the giant awkward NES controller on the back of his jacket. :p

Why does that matter? How is it any different a band shirt, or a jersey? They're hobbies and something you enjoy.

That being said, I think that jacket is really ugly. Not because it has anything to do with games, but because it's just..ugly.

yencid

Clydefrog said:
i might wear this

2k4g2q.jpg

HAHAHAHA! thats what my friends used to do in high school! they would turn me around and then just start messing around :lol

Clydefrog said:
i might wear this

2k4g2q.jpg

Ha, I wanted to get my girlfriend this:
NPadShirt.jpg
, but the only place I could find it was in some russian store.

yencid

This is why i would love a VG apparel store just with looking a bit harder then before through the web i found some awesome looking shirts and thanks to this thread people posted some even more awesome ones. Going to have to wait untill summer to start working with summer youth and get me some monies to buy some of these.

Nintendo World Store in Rockefeller Plaza obviously...

I was just out there and they had a badass Zelda shirt and a Wii Play shirt, among other cool things.

A FUCKING WII PLAY SHIRT.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

HOW BOSS IS THAT

The Valve Store has some pretty nice shirts. There's one I like from Half-Life 2, but the shipping is almost $10. That seems like a bit much for shipping a shirt if you ask me.

polyh3dron said:

That's where I bought a rather nice jacket on my senior trip in high school. It was black with some white stripes on the arms and a Nintendo World logo on the front.

Clydefrog

polyh3dron said:

I was just out there and they had a badass Zelda shirt and a Wii Play shirt, among other cool things.

HOW BOSS IS THAT

You can be crass about it now, but I fucking WISH I had my Nintendo Power magazines that I so haphazardly tossed about the bathroom back in the early '90s. That shit will come back to haunt you, my friend.

Azure Rathalos

Neo Member
94978-3M7RC3C.jpg

94980-SFCK0XV.jpg

I bought this. I wear it to work. It feels good. It allows me to express my fondness for the game and wear a comfortable office-type polo shirt at the same time.

It also helps me find fellow players on the train sometimes.

polyh3dron said:

HOW BOSS IS THAT
Was waiting for a Nintendo World mention.

I have a grand total of 1 shirt from Nintendo World - a green 1-up t-shirt. Wore it to school once, everyone loved it.

See, wearing video game clothing isn't bad. :lol Well, at least once in a while. I wouldn't wear one every day, but that's just because of my clothing preference.

eXistor

If the shirt is subtle about it it's cool. I like the Mass Effect 2 one. It just generally looks great, if you don't get the reference it still looks good and you wouldn't associate it with games anyway. If you do get the reference, you're a gaming geek anyway and probably think it's cool, so it's win win either way.

Some Katamari Damacy shirts are shit hot as well.
mininfo-2.jpg

taku

eXistor said:
If the shirt is subtle about it it's cool. I like the Mass Effect 2 one. It just generally looks great, if you don't get the reference it still looks good and you wouldn't associate it with games anyway. If you do get the reference, you're a gaming geek anyway and probably think it's cool, so it's win win either way.

Some Katamari Damacy shirts are shit hot as well.
Hell yeah, I've been sporting these for a while;
mininfo-2.jpg

mininfo-2.jpg

This is the only video game shirt I've ever bought (except for a Sonic one which is for INDOOR USE ONLY)

donkey-kong-shirt.jpg

I think you could get away with this one and the pac-man one someone else posted. Those Katamari ones are cool too, it doesn't matter if someone 'gets it' it just has to be a good shirt. With modern games the less people that get it the better, you can get away with retro stuff a bit more, anything with sprites.

Anyway I got that shirt back over the Atlantic and realised it was too small for me. I guess when you're in the fucking Nintendo Store you should realise that 'small' is probably targeting 12 year olds, whoops.

TxdoHawk

LethaL ImpuLse said:
Uniqlo sometimes has some stuff.

This is true, and if you like clothing this is an awesome place to visit regardless. I'm actually wearing one of their plain white t-shirts right now.

yencid

TxdoHawk said:
This is true, and if you like clothing this is an awesome place to visit regardless. I'm actually wearing one of their plain white t-shirts right now.
Will definitely check it out then :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom