• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC gaf: Video game clothing stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckie

I must admit I also have 1 game related shirt

Black with this on it:

DSCF7389.jpg

yencid

Tence said:
I must admit I also have 1 game related shirt

Black with this on it:

DSCF7389.jpg
I've seen a lot of different shirts with this design and the best ones are the ones that look kind of worn out/old. :D

KevinCow

Banned
Someone in a thread over on the gaming side suggested the idea of basic three-button shirts with a logo or something embroidered into the left breast. I'd be into that. I almost exclusively wear that kind of shirt anyway, and I think it would be a nice, subtle way to express my love for gaming without being completely tacky.

yencid

KevinCow said:
Someone in a thread over on the gaming side suggested the idea of basic three-button shirts with a logo or something embroidered into the left breast. I'd be into that. I almost exclusively wear that kind of shirt anyway, and I think it would be a nice, subtle way to express my love for gaming without being completely tacky.

They should have actually designed it and put it up on zazzle or something.

Davidion

With video game shirts, subtlety is best. Most of them are horrendously tacky.

That having been said, I honestly can't think of any specialized stores with this stuff here in NYC. I'd try the east village/8th street shirt shops, but not much else.

desa

I don't get why people are so angry or care so much about the way others dress. Does it really fucking matter? Is it really gonna affect your life how some dude dresses? It's fine for you to think it's uncool, ugly or whatever. It's even fine for you to laugh and make fun of them. But to do it at every opportunity or even go far as to seek them out? It's like they got some kind of bully mentality. Like damn dude, do you need a hug or something? Just laugh to yourself and keep it moving.

Do you guys do the same to people who wear clothes with sports logos on them? Oh right because it's fine and dandy and sports nerds are cool. America land of the hypocrisy.

mooooose

NYC doesn't have much. If you want good classy video game shirts go with:

Uniqlo (this is in NYC, but they fit weird)
Panic (Katamari)
King of Games (Nintendo/Sega, expensive though)
Pokemon 151 (Only a few shirts out, JPN only, hard to find and kinda expensive)

And various indie shirts. Some people have screen printed some cool shirts for sale (Ikaruga for example) but they're not official.

Anything other than these and you will look like a huge tool. Wearing the triforce is totally lame in any circumstance.

AstroMan said:
Again, there's nothing cool about that. It looks stupid and only video game players will understand it and then while you and that person are both jerking each other off with various video game references, some people will be gearing up to beat your nerdy ass and rob you.

I used to play video games and I don't even know what that means.

I live in NYC. The dress, like everything else, is divided into polar extremes--uber-shitty and uber-classy, super-hipster and classic conservative.

Video game clothes fall into the uber-shitty category. And if they're skinny-man, they fall into the uber-shitty super-hipster category.

Of course, I wear my tweed jacket in snowstorms, just because it looks better than those huge puffy trashbag NorthFace coats that are all the rage up here, so maybe I'm a bit of a snob.

bengraven

Unless you're a non-GAFfer and wearing it to be ironic (ie: you're hot and hate videogames), then this is just another way for society to kick your Asberger's ass to the curb.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
You have to have a certain look in order to pull off terrible looking video game t-shirts. You have to look hip/good looking enough to look like you are wearing them ironically.

DeuceMojo said:
The difference in coolness between 1 and 2 is night and day. You did not do yourself any favors by posting #1. :lol

The coolness is all in how he took the photo. The only place he's going to look like that is from the angle of someone sitting on the subway, mere inches from his crotch, looking up to see how mentally stable the dude wearing a Starter Nintendo windbreaker is.

projekt84

Subtlety really helps with video games apparel.

It doesn't need to have the main character with a giant title across it, but something like the Mass Effect shirts and similar styled ones are perfectly fine.

JzeroT1437 said:
The coolness is all in how he took the photo. The only place he's going to look like that is from the angle of someone sitting on the subway, mere inches from his crotch, looking up to see how mentally stable the dude wearing a Starter Nintendo windbreaker is.
Hah, well, when you put it that way... do you have Virgin Times Square's number???? I need a dozen... :lol

bengraven

Spider from Mars said:
You have to have a certain look in order to pull off terrible looking video game t-shirts. You have to look hip/good looking enough to look like you are wearing them ironically.

Yeah, I just said that.

Spider from Mars said:
I kinda miss the freakishness of the 70s/80s when wearing some faded t-shirt with a semblance of style to it didn't have to be ironic to be cool.

I'd like to take a moment to give a big 'fuck you' to The Strokes for making this shit completely and irreversibly mainstream. Look at these fucking hipsters...

Spider from Mars said:
Or... you can just look good and wear them un-ironically. On some level though, wearing a minimalistic Pacman or Donkey Kong shirt will probably come off as more vintage than video game.

I don't own any video games shirts personally, I wouldn't mind owning some but I'm not much up on purchasing clothing on the internet. That being said, I do agree that they are dorky as hell, if you're willing to embrace your dorkdom and aren't trying to impress the average club-hopping 23 year old girl then you're golden.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I bet GAF could make some awesome designs for clothing, the game covers the gaming side did were great.

Pein

Banned
yencid said:
I see it as the exact same as owning coming book apparel. There are some great comic book shirts ive seen.

characters-SilverSurfer-images-silver_surfer_t_shirt_candy_2.jpg

^ i own

Marvel+Comics+T-shirt+%232+Picture.jpg

Marvel+Civil+War+T-shirt+Picture.jpg

and i have seen both of those just walking around the city, in many instances as well.
EDIT: damnit no hotlinking... will have to upload them myself.
I also own a silver surfer t shirt, except mine is just silver on black. Hell I have a lot of shirts with anime/comic characters on them

hsin said:
This post seals the deal. Don't wear this shit. It's motherf'ing ridiculous.

I wore a Black Flag t-shirt -- two sizes too small -- to a karaoke bar so that everyone could see my freaking gut while I drunkenly slaughtered Honky Tonk Women, and endured the barbs of everyone including the MC...

and I still didn't look that stupid. Don't wear this stuff. PSA of the week.

Shirts with gaming (or music/film/cartoon) references are not horrible by definition. I have no problem with them if they...

- Are good looking, irregardless of them being about games or not. It has to look good.
- The reference is not too ostentatious. Just a small or subtle reference is more than enough.
- The reference is smart or funny.

For example: the jacket with the NES controller and the Silver Surfer shirt are utterly horrendous. Irregardless of them referencing games/cartoons they look shitty, and the fact that it's an in your face pic of a game/cartoon makes it worse. Most of the katamari damacy ones however are subtle enough and the Mario Kart accident one is hilarious and subtle enough for me to like them.

However, I don't have any marked clothes at the moment and I don't purposely search for them either.

Hero

I have this shirt from Threadless and get compliments from people all the time. Including attractive women. Shock and awe!

zoom.gif

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
The only game shirt I wear nowadays is a Double Fine shirt... which is really more of a Scott C. shirt.

11t4oqq.jpg

There's really no place in NYC to get nice video game shirts. I think the Nintendo World Store once had some King of Games shirts for sale.

You're really just better off getting them online.

andymcc

Banned
I wear a few. I have a Sonic the Hedgehog one I've had since I was 8 that still fits that I found a few years ago. I have a Franklin Badge shirt from the Shigesato Itoi store. The only other nerd shirts I really wear is one with the Luffy Pirates symbol and a shirt with the Behelit from Berserk.

I don't see why you people care so much about what some of these people wear. Some video game shirts are abhorrently ugly, sure, but there are some tastefully designed ones: like the ones from Uniqlo (i wish i had the Makaimura one) and King of Games. It's not really much different than wearing a band t-shirt as far as I'm concerned, especially when using the logic that "only a few gamers are going to understand your shirt"... Almost every band t-shirt i own is for an indie or vintage punk band (i'm wearing a gang of four shirt right now!) and, where i live, hardly anyone would identify the band.

LethaL ImpuLse said:
Uniqlo sometimes has some stuff.

Uniqlos Metal Gear and Video Game collaboration was amazing.

Here are some of them

A friend picked me up the Everybody's Golf shirt last year. Kind of wishing I got the Parappa one also.
But other than that. Common and dumb looking game clothing is stupid. Nintendo/Zelda/Mario/Sonic. All lame.

red shoe paul said:
Uniqlo'a Metal Gear and Video Game collaboration was amazing.

The last 6 shirts in my post were from the Uniqlo X MGS4 collaboration. (same style, in the two colors it came in). I have all 12 from that line (6 designs total) and I wear them pretty regularly.

Tenks

I generally refuse to wear any clothing that you can distinguish the name brand easily by looking at it. My chest isn't a mobile billboard I pay money to let others advertise on. Furthermore I rarely wear stuff I'm "about." Maybe because I rarely wear graphic t-shirts but I don't want people making snap judgements about me based on what I'm wearing. Like right now I'm judging the OP as having the worst fashion sense on GAF.

Tenks said:
I generally refuse to wear any clothing that you can distinguish the name brand easily by looking at it. My chest isn't a mobile billboard I pay money to let others advertise on. Furthermore I rarely wear stuff I'm "about." Maybe because I rarely wear graphic t-shirts but I don't want people making snap judgements about me based on what I'm wearing. Like right now I'm judging the OP as having the worst fashion sense on GAF.

Judging my your avatar you like to dress cats up in dumb outfits. :D

X26

Banned
vg related clothes are fine as long as they can stand on their own without someone needing to know the reference to appreciate the design

-COOLIO- said:

Yo, fuck what AstroMan said, that's a pretty cool shirt design and I've been trying to get it for months. Actually, I gave up a month or two after they were released, but I've been hopeful =\

WHERE THE HELL CAN I GET ONE?

Will totallly agree about the Nintendo one, though. Shirts are one thing, but a jacket? That gets multiple uses IN A ROW. Plus, the overall design is just a bit much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom