• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift CV1 images found in CSS (potential input sneak peek?)

-SD-

Banned

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hmm that don't look too comfortable to wear for long hours; would love to be wrong though.

Compsiox

Banned
Quite so:
vrOS
simple-input-device (remote) and gamepad included
camera on headset

Pretty substantial leak.

Yep disappointed about their input solutions if this is all real.

vrOS: Facebook tries to control the entire market

Man

They said that was a "Recommended Spec"
Wow. I see that you're right. GamesIndustry.biz has mis-reported Oculus stating it's the minimum specs which has made a slight uproar these last two weeks: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-05-21-oculus-high-pc-specs-are-sonys-chance-to-shine

"Oculus announced the minimum hardware specifications required for the Rift a few days ago, and they are... High. Eye-watering high. An NVIDIA GTX 970; an Intel i5-4590 chip. Oh, and forget about laptops, pretty much."

Compsiox

Banned
WAIT GUYS THIS IS ALL FAKE!

Nevermind

Where it has the specs it say:

"Check yo specs n shit"

or at least some of it.

Seanspeed

Banned
It said 2014 in the last slide
And Palmer said these are all old placeholder images.

Probably cant take too much confirmation of anything from this, unfortunately. But that makes the presser on Thursday more exciting still!

Where it has the specs it say:

"Check yo specs n shit"

or at least some of it.
It's not fake, it's just placeholders.

Wow. I see that you're right. GamesIndustry.biz has mis-reported Oculus stating it's the minimum specs which has made a slight uproar these last two weeks: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-05-21-oculus-high-pc-specs-are-sonys-chance-to-shine

"Oculus announced the minimum hardware specifications required for the Rift a few days ago, and they are... High. Eye-watering high. An NVIDIA GTX 970; an Intel i5-4590 chip. Oh, and forget about laptops, pretty much."

Actually, they correctly reported it as recommended specs here, including what "recommended" means in this case: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-05-15-oculus-rift-specs-announced

And then someone who can't read wrote a column thinking it was the minimum specs :)

Bricky

Placeholders.

I'm just gonna quote and bold this for visibility (should probably be added to the OP):

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/com...cv1_images_probably_buried_in_the_css/cs0p260

Palmer Luckey said:
This is an old placeholder concept image that we accidentally leaked. Everything in it is ancient, certainly nowhere close to final (as evidenced by the GPU specs and the game named "war")

Enjoy checking it out, at this point, but don't expect everything to carry through to the stream on the 11th.

Compsiox

Banned
And Palmer said these are all old placeholder images.

Probably cant take too much confirmation of anything from this, unfortunately. But that makes the presser on Thursday more exciting still!

It's not fake, it's just placeholders.

At least they didn't just ignore the leak I guess.

Theonik

Wait: Didn't Oculus just like two weeks ago state GTX 970 would be the minimum specs? Confusion.
They said they are telling devs to target a 970 performance level for the life of the rift, meaning 'Don't make games that need a 980Ti to be playable, assume yout players have something like a 970 for the rift. That doesn't mean the rift will not work for less or there won't be games that are fine with 750s

Nzyme32

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/com...cv1_images_probably_buried_in_the_css/cs0p260

Palmer Luckey said:
This is an old placeholder concept image that we accidentally leaked. Everything in it is ancient, certainly nowhere close to final (as evidenced by the GPU specs and the game named "war")

Enjoy checking it out, at this point, but don't expect everything to carry through to the stream on the 11th.

That explains the "© 2014".

Quoting for visibility © 2014

Although quite a bit is still likely to be somewhat recent and accurate, such as the Oculus logo change - already live on their website now

Jinkies

I am expecting hand tracking + remote hybrid input. Use separately or in tandem, depending on the experience.

Compsiox

Banned
I really fuckin hope the vrOS isn't real and was just there for the placeholder. Everyone will be up in arms about how they're trying to control the whole market like Nvidia with the PC market. Except since it's Facebook it's going to be bad. REALLY BAD.

Seanspeed

Banned
I really fuckin hope the vrOS isn't real and was just there for the placeholder. Everyone will be up in arms about how they're trying to control the whole market like Nvidia with the PC market. Except since it's Facebook it's going to be bad. REALLY BAD.
What? :/

I'm betting a lot of this *is* real - like the looks of the device itself, and maybe even the simple input device. It may be a placeholder site from a few months ago, but it's not like a ton's gonna change in a few months.

And as one person on Reddit said:

"Photoshop says the big website mockup image was last edited on April 24, so it's not that old, Palmer. ;)"

Durante

The most interesting part by far of this for me is the stand with the strange shape on it.

Would seem to indicate a non-optical tracking solution?

Theonik

We know they want to do their own content store with exclusive content. It wouldn't be outlandish if they try to pull a Linux distro like SteamOS.

The most interesting part by far of this for me is the stand with the strange shape on it.

If the pics are indicative of the final unit it could be STEMS but I doubt it. May be an IR station that is tracked optically by the headset there.

Man

Isn't it just the IR camera on a stand? The small slot might just be an extra USB plugin or something (as it's on the back).
Would be strange to change their tracking method after two prototypes (DK2 and Crescent Bay) improving upon it.

Compsiox

Banned
We know they want to do their own content store with exclusive content. It wouldn't be outlandish if they try to pull a Linux distro like SteamOS.

I guess so I just hope they don't introduce a major VR feature and make it exclusive to the OS.

Theonik

I guess so I just hope they don't introduce a major VR feature and make it exclusive to the OS.
Who knows, I don't think they'll introduce a feature say, but controlling the software stack can mean they are allowed to optimise the user experience.

ToD_

I have no problem with the logo or design of the devices. I don't really like the background pictures, however (especially that alien). It gives me that cheap 90s vibe of failed products.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm betting a lot of this *is* real - like the looks of the device itself, and maybe even the simple input device. It may be a placeholder site from a few months ago, but it's not like a ton's gonna change in a few months.

And as one person on Reddit said:

"Photoshop says the big website mockup image was last edited on April 24, so it's not that old, Palmer. ;)"
The general look of the headset will be the same. They officially showed it already. The color may be different from these renders, though.

Yea? Couldn't just be a fancy little form housing for the camera?

It'll be like what they're doing on GearVR, with their own storefront/OS. Unlike with GearVR, it's unlikely to be mandatory on PC, though.

Bookoo

I have no problem with the logo or design of the devices. I don't really like the background pictures, however (especially that alien). It gives me that cheap 90s vibe of failed products.

A lot of those are from their demos. They had a pretty simple demo where a alien was talking to you and tracking you while you moved around.

I really hope that thing isn't the actual input device they've been talking about.

We don't need a simple remote, we need an input device that actually has been designed for VR games, like the analog stick was for 3d games.

I imagined something like the Wiimote + Nunchuck... Our traditional controllers aren't ideal for VR.

The general look of the headset will be the same. They officially showed it already. The color may be different from these renders, though.
They didn't show that lens on the front, or the "simple input device", or the new camera with stand. Only a couple random angles of the headset designed to hide what it really looks like

I really hope that thing isn't the actual input device they've been talking about.

We don't need a simple remote, we need an input device that actually has been designed for VR games, like the analog stick was for 3d games.

I imagined something like the Wiimote + Nunchuck... Our traditional controllers aren't ideal for VR.
But what if that input device can detect where it is and moves in 3D space?

Seanspeed

Banned
I think they're related to some of they've done(or are working on). The alien is probably from the Crescent Bay demo, same with the standing on a ledge image. Then the one with the giant robot hand is from a VR film they're producing.

They didn't show that lens on the front, or the "simple input device", or the new camera with stand. Only a couple random angles of the headset designed to hide what it really looks like
Yea, the camera would be new. But it looks the same otherwise. First glimpse of the straps, I guess? Just talking about the headset specifically.

Bookoo

There you go.

It's not fake, its an old mockup image. Palmer already confirmed it was real, but says its "ancient" and we shouldn't expect everything to carry through.

However someone also pointed out it said photoshop said the the mock-up was last updated on April 24th 2015.

Top Bottom