• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift CV1 images found in CSS (potential input sneak peek?)

Bookoo

As said a billion times already: the headphones are detachable.

Also, the images in OP are very old, not final.

Some times GAF is lightning-fast and some times slow as snail, as the OP is still not edited to include the Palmer quote.

But they should also note that according to photoshop that mockup was last edited on April 24th 2015. So I would bet that most of the product shots are going to be what is revealed on Thursday. Unless maybe they were using old shots just for the mock up.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Some times GAF is lightning-fast and some times slow as snail, as the OP is still not edited to include the Palmer quote.

It seems you're not quite so lightning fast yourself. Was edited in ages ago chap.

Man

Prediction for Thursday:

The seemingly traditional gamepad included will have built in infra-red emitters making it possible to track it in 3D space (ala DualShock 4).

Genio88

I liked better the ski mask thing to hold it in your head, cause i think plastic isn't that confortable to wear, i have a HMZ-T1 from Sony which i disassembled and mounted into a ski mask, and now is way better. But i think it'll be confortable too or they wouldn't have chosen this design. After watching what Vive looks like, and especially those 2 wired pad and the lighthouse stuff to put in your room, i'm all in with Oculus, it looks way more simple to set up and use

What's the little lens thing on the front?
We'll find out in 46 hours, 50 minutes. My money's on a camera so you can look around your room without having to take the headset off, maybe even mix VR with real-life living spaces or use as an extra sensor for controller movement or something.

As someone who has a DK1 & 2, the ability to quickly look in my room without taking the headset off would be a godsend, especially if I need to type something or find a button on a controller.

KiKO4LiFE

Neo Member
Nice design, count me in buying it for sho,

however, hopefully it will be released in Middle east decently, fairly, swiftly v-V

Seanspeed

Banned
But they should also note that according to photoshop that mockup was last edited on April 24th 2015. So I would bet that most of the product shots are going to be what is revealed on Thursday. Unless maybe they were using old shots just for the mock up.
The April-updated image was not the mockup of the Rift, but of the OS looking image.

Blizzard

Banned
Whatever the final design is, I really hope the adjustable straps can get big enough for monstrous, alien heads such as my own. I could barely wear the older model(s).

..........................Do you....................................?
Can you do away with the passive aggressive attitude and just answer me normally? If you have a CV1, how are the headphones? That's all I want to know.

He didn't say you used Beats. He correctly pointed out that many people seem to not know shit about audio and just judge headphones based on what they look like.
Well I prefer over the ear headphones. My favorite headphones are Bose and Sennheisers. Does that make me some kind of sound idiot? If so that will be news to me.

Anyway If these sound great that would be a huge surprise to me. It sounds like bj00rn has some insider information about this set so if he knows differently I'd love to hear more.

Prat

They have talked many times about sound quality saying that the built in headphones are great. I read somewhere that Palmer considers himself to be a "huge audiophile", so I'm not concerned about this point.

Anyway If these sound great that would be a huge surprise to me. It sounds like bj00rn has some insider information about this set so if he knows differently I'd love to hear more.
Palmer has claimed these to be very good headphones since they announced it would be getting headphones, and specifically called out people who would dismiss them for their appearance. This is why people are reacting to your comments in this way.

Can you do away with the passive aggressive attitude and just answer me normally? If you have a CV1, how are the headphones? That's all I want to know.

Well I prefer over the ear headphones. My favorite headphones are Bose and Sennheisers. Does that make me some kind of sound idiot? If so that will be news to me.

The Crescent Bay prototype that's been demoed multiple times has these headphones already integrated. There's been positive impressions of them for a long while now.

hohoXD123

Why would it be a huge surprise? Some excellent sounding headphones out there look average as hell, a nice looking plastic cover over the headphones isn't going to suddenly make them sound better. Don't understand how you can look at the headphones and somehow come to the conclusion that they probably won't sound very good.

Theonik

I think you guys are taking his powerglove joke tweet too far... he didn't even show the powerglove, just the "I love the powerglove, it's so bad..." kid.
If Palmer doesn't walk on stage wearing a powerglove I've be pretty disappointed all the same. Would be an amazing way to start the presentation as a 'How far we've come' point. Maybe take it seriously but actually using in in an Oculus demo.

Palmer has claimed these to be very good headphones since they announced it would be getting headphones, and specifically called out people who would dismiss them for their appearance. This is why people are reacting to your comments in this way.

The Crescent Bay prototype that's been demoed multiple times has these headphones already integrated. There's been positive impressions of them for a long while now.
OK thanks guys. I appreciate the straight answers rather than being insulted. I'm sorry I said they looked shitty.

Why would it be a huge surprise? Some excellent sounding headphones out there look average as hell, a nice looking plastic cover over the headphones isn't going to suddenly make them sound better. Don't understand how you can look at the headphones and somehow come to the conclusion that they probably won't sound very good.
As we've established I don't know anything about audio but thanks for adding to the dogpile. =(

Dr.Acula

Banned
lmrKlGm.png

Curved screen?

Concept mockup?

Dr.Acula

Banned
It's two screens. The curved piece is just the front panel.

There's no screen in the mockup. It's very dark, but if you up the brightness you can see inside those hollow cups. So this breakdown is missing the screen. Which is weird.

edit: Okay, I see it now, two screens had been confirmed in Crescent Bay, disregard, I suck mocks.

Seiru

Banned
I'm not surprised why why Beats keep selling with that kind of attitude.. They are NOT shitty. I bet not many people out there have better headphones suitable for VR in their homes.

Dude, everybody knows that bulky plastic and flashing LEDs are what make quality headphones.

Bsigg12

Just a quick question, do all these VR headsets use 3D?

Well, yea. Both the Rift and the Vive have a screen per eye that have slightly different angles to create a stereoscopic 3D effect. I'm sure someone else could go into better detail on how it works but, yes, they use 3D.

If they didn't, it would be like staring at a very large flat screen inches from your eyes.

Zaptruder

Banned
HMD looks neat... and that little stand is definetly interesting.

But that controller... man, they really were caught with their pants down by Valve weren't they?

Zaptruder

Banned
It's just a remote for basic apps.

Exactly.

They've got no counter to a proper VR controller.

People aren't going to wait around a year for Oculus to reveal their new VR controllers with CV2. Some might... but many will want and will get a proper full fledged VR experience through their competitors.

Bsigg12

Exactly.

People aren't going to wait around a year for Oculus to reveal their new VR controllers with CV2. Some might... but many will want and will get a proper full fledged VR experience through their competitors.

Well, Thursday at 10am Pacific we will see what all they have planned. It is very possible that the basic package doesn't come with a more gaming focused controller.

Won't the bright green color around the optics be a distraction? Surely black would be better...

No because that's the area where the headset will pressing against your face. You simply won't see that.

Exactly.

Wait til Thursday for the Oculus press conference. They are going to show their input solution.

Dryk

I assume a front facing camera, so you can toggle between the game and being able to see around you via a video feed.
It's nice to know that most of the VR headsets are going to have a passthrough out of the gate. It's very necessary, especially for mainstream devices to stand a chance.

It's just a remote for basic apps.

Or, it's a full 3D controller that can communicate its position and orientation in space with the Rift while including an integrated Steam Controller-like touchpad. We know literally nothing about it except what's in that picture, except it *might* be called the "Simple Input Device". We'll know everything in around 39 hours!

reptilexcq2

Neo Member
If they don't have hand tracking w/ gloves and haptic feedback, then it's negative points for Oculus. If they don't have full room tracking...it's ALSO another negative point.

If they don't have both...i don't see myself getting Oculus Rift. I am favoring Vive.

If they don't have hand tracking w/ gloves and haptic feedback, then it's negative points for Oculus. If they don't have full room tracking...it's ALSO another negative point.

If they don't have both...i don't see myself getting Oculus Rift. I am favoring Vive.
Vive doesn't have hand tracking with gloves and haptic feedback. Why do you want gloves anyways? And do you actually have a full room you can dedicate for VR? I wish I did.

Man

Vive doesn't have hand tracking with gloves and haptic feedback. Why do you want gloves anyways? And do you actually have a full room you can dedicate for VR? I wish I did.
I think he was alluding to Palmer Luckey hinting (might be an overblown toying) about a powerglove solution on his twitter a few days back. No need to rise expectations if they are not delivering on that.

Top Bottom