• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift CV1 images found in CSS (potential input sneak peek?)

Durante

Yea? Couldn't just be a fancy little form housing for the camera?
Actually, yes. I overlooked the opening on the side at first.
False alarm!

We don't need a simple remote, we need an input device that actually has been designed for VR games
Vive-Controller-Prototypes.jpg

?

jett

D-Member
Shit's uggo. Seems they've insisted on putting most of the weight on your nose, unlike Sony's design.

I really hope that thing isn't the actual input device they've been talking about.

We don't need a simple remote, we need an input device that actually has been designed for VR games, like the analog stick was for 3d games.

I imagined something like the Wiimote + Nunchuck... Our traditional controllers aren't ideal for VR.

I doubt that's the main game controller. Keep in mind, Oculus has a whole division focusing on VR movies and shorts you can watch in the Rift. A simple remote would be perfect for that type of content. Also, though it's largely placeholder, the jpg mentions the simple device and the gamepad separately.

Man

All the product shots leaked here will be the same product revealed Thursday I'm sure. Oculus is downplaying it a bit but this is likely it.

Durante

Shit's uggo. Seems they've insisted on putting most of the weight on your nose, unlike Sony's design.
Even the existing DK2 doesn't put any weight on your nose if you wear it correctly (that's what the head strap is for). This is supposed to be much lighter.

Man

Ian Hamilton ‏@hmltn 5m5 minutes ago
@JasonZnack @ID_R_McGregor I've not seen Oculus leak like this before. I think this is a genuine, painful, mistake for them.

Then you still need something more intricate that allows you to move forward in your left hand and buttons in your right hand. Imagine playing any first person game with that remote... no go.

First person shooters are going to suck in VR, unless they find a way to fix the VR sickness or have you actually turn your body to turn in the game. Don't expect the default controller setup to be designed around first-person-shooter controls.

jett

D-Member
Even the existing DK2 doesn't put any weight on your nose if you wear it correctly (that's what the head strap is for). This is supposed to be much lighter.

We'll see. I've never used an OR myself but it's what I've always been reading about those things.

Helznicht

So Thursday I will need to have the Oculus presentation stream on one screen and New-Egg on my other screen refreshing during the conference. Thanks for the heads up guys.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
damn, that thing is pretty ugly.

Really had hoped for no earphones... I prefer my gaming headset.

Definitely going to be interesting hearing larger rounds of feedback from people on the show floor next week.

Definitely going to be interesting hearing larger rounds of feedback from people on the show floor next week.

They've said the headphones would be removable, that you can use your own.

Seanspeed

Banned

The earphones turn up so you can move them away and use your own. They are not mandatory, though they are apparently high quality, so you might well want to give them a try before assuming you'd prefer some gaming headset.

It's also coming with a built-in DAC(not sure in the headset or external), which should tell you how dedicated they are to providing quality sound. Palmer is an audio enthusiast, so he's not gonna let this part slip.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
The earphones turn up so you can move them away and use your own. They are not mandatory, though they are apparently high quality, so you might well want to give them a try before assuming you'd prefer some gaming headset.

It's also coming with a built-in DAC(not sure in the headset or external), which should tell you how dedicated they are to providing quality sound. Palmer is an audio enthusiast, so he's not gonna let this part slip.

Don't doubt it will be good, and good to hear that they're removable. I just really have an aversion to those foam (or on-ear) earphones... makes my ears sweat (gross, I know).

DieH@rd

Banned
That input device looks more like media controller than game controller. Also, it does not have any sensors, so even if its tracked by that camera on the headset [leap motion or smth], games will be limited with controls because of the FOV limitations of on-board camera.

That input device looks more like media controller than game controller. Also, it does not have any sensors, so even if its tracked by that camera on the headset [leap motion or smth], games will be limited with controls because of the FOV limitations of on-board camera.

How do you know it doesn't have any sensors?

Pretty sure that's exactly what it is. There will be another game-centric controller.

bj00rn_

Banned
We'll see. I've never used an OR myself but it's what I've always been reading about those things.

A bit odd that someone would say that, because like Durante said, even the devkits as unbalanced as they are don't put much weight on the nose area - Which is why I once had my DK2 on for nearly 5 hours and still survived..

Those headphones look really shitty. Good thing you can use your own, right?

I'm not surprised why why Beats keep selling with that kind of attitude.. They are NOT shitty. I bet not many people out there have better headphones suitable for VR in their homes.

dorn.

Why would year old stuff have the new logo in it? This is legit, saying it's outdated is pure damage control. Can't wait for thursday.

Seanspeed

Banned
Why would year old stuff have the new logo in it? This is legit, saying it's outdated is pure damage control. Can't wait for thursday.
Saying it's outdated doesn't mean it's all a year old. Some things could be newer, but still not final design. There's a bunch of DK2 and GearVR images in the leaked folder as well.

Manoko

I wouldn't go making assumptions based on a T-shirt Palmer wore.

Looks like the input will be a combination of the 'simple' remote there, plus a gamepad of some sort. Official input, at least. I'm sure there will be 3rd party alternatives for other sorts of wands and what have you.

EDIT: Camera on the headset though, maybe....

No you misunderstood what I said.

Palmer Luckey's last tweet (I'm on my phone I can't link it right now) is a strong reference to the powerglove.

Of you can check it you'll see, it's from a movie where the kid on the picture says he loves the powerglove.

Theonik

Palmer Luckey's last tweet (I'm on my phone I can't link it right now) is a strong reference to the powerglove.

Of you can check it you'll see, it's from a movie where the kid on the picture says he loves the powerglove.
SMB3 for the rift?

Seanspeed

Banned

I'm aware of the tweet. I just don't think that automatically means we'll see a glove.

Some sort of hand-tracking though, maybe. But that would be against what we're seeing here where it says simple remote+gamepad, and it'd be strange to do both hand tracking plus a simple remote, since you could essentially use your hand to perform most of the same functionality.

I think you guys are taking his powerglove joke tweet too far... he didn't even show the powerglove, just the "I love the powerglove, it's so bad..." kid.

Falchion

I don't care about how it looks at all, I just want it to fit well. I'll never have to look at it when it's in use so it could be cardboard for all I care.

Bookoo

is this confirmed?it looks fake

It's not fake, its an old mockup image. Palmer already confirmed it was real, but says its "ancient" and we shouldn't expect everything to carry through. Although the mockup was updated on April 24th 2015.

-SD-

Banned
The cheap integrated headphones. Fucking WHY.
As said a billion times already: the headphones are detachable.

Also, the images in OP are very old, not final.

Some times GAF is lightning-fast and some times slow as snail, as the OP is still not edited to include the Palmer quote.

The cheap integrated headphones. Fucking WHY.

Most impressions are that they're actually really fucking good. Besides that, they're removable.

Why include them? Sound is a big part of immersion in VR. Larger than people think of at first glance. They want to make sure you have a really good option for them out of the gate and aren't using some shitty headphones that ruin the experience.

I'm not surprised why why Beats keep selling with that kind of attitude.. They are NOT shitty. I bet not many people out there have better headphones suitable for VR in their homes.
You have a CV1 already?

Also where do you get the idea I use Beats?

Top Bottom