• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odyssey finally arrives in one week! What's your favorite ever Mario series power-up?

Ramune

Hammer Bros. Suit from Mario 3. It practically killed everything, and you can block projectiles by ducking. For a Mario power-up it was pretty badass.

maxcriden

Cape and cherry are the best.

Can someone post the Cherry Mario gif

Is that this one?

1281f6f6ac2175681617f25c7869a61e5a207a9d_hq.gif

I thought the levels using this in 3DW and El Capitan Todd were genius.

What someone else posted:

tumblr_neqpfis2Ze1rrftcdo1_500.gif

I love getting that suit since there are only a couple in the game. If you can avoid getting hit in the last level to get to Bowser, he goes down so easily and it feels great.

impirius

Super Acorn and Cat Bell introduce great new mechanics that change the way you approach platforming without just breaking the game.

For level-specific power-ups, Double Cherry and Cloud are hard to beat. It's always a good feeling to finish the level with all possible duplicates or complete a platforming section with a cloud or two remaining.

Yam's

Mario Cat. I love cats, I love Mario, the two combined created a fun and cute way to access unreachable areas.

It helps that it was also that power-up that helped me get my nephews crazy about Mario.

OmegaDL50

Both the Tanooki and Hammer Suits are my personal favorites, if only for their utility in what they can do in regards to enemy encounters.

The hammers from the Hammer Suit can defeat enemies that normally that cannot be defeated.

I mean killing Thwomps, Boos, Lava Bubbles, and even used as powerful weapon against Bowser himself. Although getting through Bowser's Castle with the Hammer Suit intact to actually use it against Bowser is a bit of a challenge.

The Tanooki Suit is functionally identical to the Racoon Suit but so much more. The Statue Transformation allows you to become temporarily invincible against certain projectiles such as Fireballs and enemy collisions, but the Statue Transformation has a far more useful utility that not many people know about.

The Statue Transformation can actually be used as an offensive tool. Jump into the air and transform into the Statue and it will generally pretty much kill anything Mario stomps on. This includes jumping at a Boo, transforming into a statue and killing a Boo from a Statue Stomp. Same applies to Thwomps too. Also the Statue can be used to take out normally unstompable enemies such as Spiny, Buzzy Beetles and Piranha Plants. I am not sure if the Statue Stomp works on Bowser, but then again I never tried it.

pretty much everything in SMB3

The leaf (first and foremost was the most radical power up of that time...flying???)
Then everything else like tanooki, the frog, etc. Hammer bros was probably my favorite “surprise” powerup because that was the first time you could give them all a taste of their own medicine

woopWOOP

Swimming through that 2D water so fast
and the hippity hoppity movement on land
Frog suit will always have a special place in my heart
Only downside is that there are so few of them in the game. Touching an enemy and losing the frog suit feels bad man :(

Metal Mario is runner up just because of the rocking star remix music. The fake shiny metal effect looked so cool too back then

ASaiyan

Banned
This thread has a serious lack of Bee Mario.
Maybe not the best, but hovering around and climbing up sticky walls was fun movement. Cloud Mario is another great one from the Galaxy series.

And of course, despite how silly he looks as a hat, I am very excited to play around with Cappy.

JazzmanZ

Let's hear about those power-ups and what fun you had when you discovered them, and all that jazz.

Well Max I gotta say, first thing thanks for the shoutout, but secondly.

Metal Mario

Discovering this powerup in SM64 was fun, especially when you become an invincible metallic destruction.

It being a Smash bros. 64 mini boss also fuelled my kid speculation he was a secret unlockable, and it wouldn't be until Mario Kart 7 Nintendo realized the potential of this cool power up.

Chie Satonaka91

Neo Member
I always really liked the cape from world. I also really liked a lot of the powerups from smb3. Particularly the tanooki suit, but also the hammer bros suit and the frog suit. Tanooki for the statue form, swimming as frog Mario was funm. Hammer bros was just cool because it gave me the same power as some enemies.

psyfi

Banned
I'm so fucking excited for Odyssey!!!!! Off topic Odyssey hype:
I've always preferred the more linear Mario games over 64/Sunshine, but mannnn I'm excited to go back to the open formula! It's been way too long! I'm getting echoes of that September 29, 1996 hype :)

Also off topic: shout out to Mario Odyssey for finally getting me to learn how to spell odyssey right.

On topic: it's the cape. That thing is a straight up joy to use. I know it's game breaking and yes it's not as cute as a raccoon tail, but it's fast, fluid, responsive, and really fucking fun.

Runner up is probably the bunny ears from Six Golden Coins.

Edit : Oh yeah and the cape feathers are fun to grab mid air too, bonus points for that

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Cat Mario is surprisingly amazing, might be my top actually.

In retrospect I don't actually like many of the Galaxy powerups.

MAX!

Genius thread idea, and there are too many power ups to choose from! I will probably edit more in later, but if I had to pick one single power up, I would have to say....

THE WINGED CAP.

Mario%2B64%2Bwing%2Bcap%2Bgif.gif

Mario 64 was revolutionary for me in a lot of ways, and traversing through each painted world expanded my mind. Mario had so many moves, and being able to explore the castle's secrets and search for stars in each level filled me with constant wonder. By land, by sea.... or by air. I wasn't just running and jumping through levels, but like the leaf and feather before it, Mario 64 provided a way to fly. Fly! With sound effects and momentum and smokey whooshes as you tried to ascend! Fire me out of dat cannon, keep me in the skies!

The FREEDOM this cap allowed by God. Especially with cheats it was the best

Brewster123

Neo Member
xxjQ0FH.png

Nothing was funner than speedrunning New Super Mario Bros DS with this thing. It is a massive shame that the blue shell only made stuck around for one game.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Raccoon Feather, followed by Tanooki, then catsuit mario. I’m also strangely fond of Frogsuit Mario ;)

maxcriden

This thread has a serious lack of Bee Mario.

Maybe not the best, but hovering around and climbing up sticky walls was fun movement. Cloud Mario is another great one from the Galaxy series.

And of course, despite how silly he looks as a hat, I am very excited to play around with Cappy.

Very true! Thanks for correcting it. And I don't know anything about this "Cappy." Did you read the OP, good sir? Surely that's not a character from an unreleased game? ;) I jest.

As to Bee Mario, who we must never call BM for short,

800px-Mariotransformbee.png

I'm in utmost agreement with the under-appreciatedness of this power-up.

Bee Mario is the first transformation you're introduced to in SMG and it is a significant departure from any other 3D Mario power-up -- IIRC, it is the first anthropomorphic power-up in a 3D Mario game. In the vein of the SMB3 Tanooki and Frog power-ups, this transformation allows you a set of bee-like abilities, including adherence to all things honey and limited flight. (It's also adorable.) Taking flight for the first time as Bee Mario is very memorable to me in this game.

Lijik

I like the propeller cap in NSMB Wii, the heft of the propeller lift just feels really good

xxjQ0FH.png

Nothing was funner than speedrunning New Super Mario Bros DS with this thing. It is a massive shame that the blue shell only made stuck around for one game.

i always felt like the level design was too cramped in NSMB DS for this one to reach its true potential. Wish it showed up in the later NSMB titles instead of the dumb Mini Mario

Giga Man

First Place: Mega Mushroom. Nothing is more satisfying than turning into a giant and destroying everything in sight.

Second Place: Fire Flower. Nice and simple. Every time I find one, I'm excited that I can kill things that can't be jumped on and just not risk jumping in general.

Honorable Mention goes to NSMB's Ice Flower for killing Dry Bones. Fuck those zombie turtles.

Second Honorable Mention goes to Galaxy's Red Star because Flying Mario is probably my favorite Mario color scheme. It's such a shame it was never used in stages.

Top Bottom