• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odyssey finally arrives in one week! What's your favorite ever Mario series power-up?

Magnus

I really dig the Cloud and Rock in SMG2. They felt drastically different from past power ups and added much needed play style variation to Galaxy games. The bee in SMG1 was brutal and boring.

Giga Man

I had to edit in the Mega Mushroom to my post as my #1 favorite. I can't believe I forgot about it. It's not used enough, dammit!

NFreak

It's gotta be the shoes.
tumblr_mg5zdpUybM1rrftcdo1_r1_250.gif

The cape was a revelation for me when I first played SMW, it allowed for an entirely new approach to defeating enemies and traversing levels. I'm sure the tanooki suit would have done the same for me, but I could never get too far into SMB3 as a kid because I sucked and there was no save function.

Cloud mario similarly opened up the world for me, it felt like I could write my own paths through levels using the clouds which was a lot of fun.

HeySeuss

Tanooki suit is lame. It's nothing more than a fancy racoon suit that can inexplicably turn into a statue for no reason. It'd be one thing if the statue had a function like a Zelda style switch or something, but it's worthless.

My favorite would be the hammer brothers suit or the cloud suit.

My fave five

1. Penguin Suit: Combines the ice flower with an even better take on the frog suit that can also slide across ice, so legit that I'm saddened it was a post game exclusive in NSMBU
2. Cloud Suit: On paper it doesn't sound too thrilling, you can make up to three cloud platforms, but in actual execution there's something so freeing about it and creates some neat build your own platforming scenarios
3. Double Cherry: high pitched Toad's yelling multiply while running around as a boomerang throwing mob
4. Cape: So broken but so fun, great flight feel, spin to win,
5. Fire Flower: Classic and oh so reliable, also that colour combo is my definitive Mario look.

maxcriden

My fave five

1. Penguin Suit: Combines the ice flower with an even better take on the frog suit that can also slide across ice, so legit that I'm saddened it was a post game exclusive in NSMBU
2. Cloud Suit: On paper it doesn't sound too thrilling, you can make up to three cloud platforms, but in actual execution there's something so freeing about it and creates some neat build your own platforming scenarios
3. Double Cherry: high pitched Toad's yelling multiply while running around as a boomerang throwing mob
4. Cape: So broken but so fun, great flight feel, spin to win,
5. Fire Flower: Classic and oh so reliable, also that colour combo is my definitive Mario look.

This is as far as you go, Nocturnowl.

Co5C3gRUsAE8uNL.jpg

Awwwow nao*

*my rough transcription of the sound Toad makes in SMG/2 when you jump on him.

No, I kid. Those are awesome choices. I was really disappointed to not see more of the Penguin or Propeller (but esp. Penguin) in NSMBU. Thankfully its availability on Star Road meant you can go back and play earlier levels with it...and there are some awesome challenges with both in the GOAT Mario game feature, NSMBU's Challenge Mode. But yeah, it would've been super to see it more featured in the main game!

ah man there are soooo many cool power ups that it’s hard to pick a favourite, but if I had to I think it would go with the cape.

This is as far as you go, Nocturnowl.

Co5C3gRUsAE8uNL.jpg

Awwwow nao*

*my rough transcription of the sound Toad makes in SMG/2 when you jump on him.

No, I kid. Those are awesome choices. I was really disappointed to not see more of the Penguin or Propeller (but esp. Penguin) in NSMBU. Thankfully its availability on Star Road meant you can go back and play earlier levels with it...and there are some awesome challenges with both in the GOAT Mario game feature, NSMBU's Challenge Mode. But yeah, it would've been super to see it more featured in the main game!

I will always love the hammy SM advance voice acting.

New Super Luigi U managed to get the penguin suit back in the main game at least.

Mr-Joker

Banned
While the two aren't really power ups for Mario I have always liked

Peach Float ability;

princess-peach-float-179x300.png

Rosalina spin ability;

tumblr_mw7rvfH9jH1s8ouhxo1_500.gif

I like the propeller cap in NSMB Wii, the heft of the propeller lift just feels really good

Yeah that was a good power up.

Funfact; Miyamoto was fussy when it came to the sound effect of the propeller.

PLEASE BE TRUE. I'd honestly prefer 1080p 50-60fps over 900p 60 but I know people don't like it.

OT I guess Boomerang Mario but I prefer default Luigi over Mario. We need a Super Luigi Odyssey expansion DLC with a focus on his jump and slipperiness.
Is not going to be a locked res... FPS is king in Mario games.

sanstesy

The rep says

"the highest resolution will be 1080p"

We already know there's a photo mode and it's supposed to get a little graphics bump when you enter it. I am betting that's what she's referring to.

We know what it means and it is called dynamic resolution.

Every Nintendo game on the Switch has it and will have it.

Peltz

MAX!

Genius thread idea, and there are too many power ups to choose from! I will probably edit more in later, but if I had to pick one single power up, I would have to say....

THE WINGED CAP.

Mario%2B64%2Bwing%2Bcap%2Bgif.gif

Mario 64 was revolutionary for me in a lot of ways, and traversing through each painted world expanded my mind. Mario had so many moves, and being able to explore the castle's secrets and search for stars in each level filled me with constant wonder. By land, by sea.... or by air. I wasn't just running and jumping through levels, but like the leaf and feather before it, Mario 64 provided a way to fly. Fly! With sound effects and momentum and smokey whooshes as you tried to ascend! Fire me out of dat cannon, keep me in the skies!

Yea, it's got to be this one. Flying in SM64 was just breathtaking at the time.

psyfi

Banned
I just realized Odyssey will be the second ever HD 3D Mario. Damn I just realized how significant that is! I'm one of those people who didn't like 3D World much, so that barely even counts to me.

we are in for a treat my friends :)

Are there anti-Spring Mario people? I really enjoyed its use in Toy Time Galaxy. It feels nice and springy to use.

I remember multiple reviews criticizing the spring power up specifically when the game first came out.

I don't dislike it, although it can sometimes be annoying.

I just realized Odyssey will be the second ever HD 3D Mario. Damn I just realized how significant that is! I'm one of those people who didn't like 3D World much, so that barely even counts to me.

we are in for a treat my friends :)

Even more mind-blowing—Breath of the Wild was the first time we ever saw an original Zelda game in HD.

Tokieda

The first time I ever tried the wing cap, that was the most amazing feeling. It wasn't implemented all that well in retrospect, but that felt really special.

I feel like 3D world had the best power-ups of any Mario game. The cat suit was just spectacular, but perhaps the most genius Mario power-up of all time is the double cherry. The idea is so simple, but also just so stupid (in a fun way), and it's perfectly implemented in the levels it appears in.

Top Bottom