• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odyssey finally arrives in one week! What's your favorite ever Mario series power-up?

MAX!

Genius thread idea, and there are too many power ups to choose from! I will probably edit more in later, but if I had to pick one single power up, I would have to say....

THE WINGED CAP.

Mario%2B64%2Bwing%2Bcap%2Bgif.gif

Mario 64 was revolutionary for me in a lot of ways, and traversing through each painted world expanded my mind. Mario had so many moves, and being able to explore the castle's secrets and search for stars in each level filled me with constant wonder. By land, by sea.... or by air. I wasn't just running and jumping through levels, but like the leaf and feather before it, Mario 64 provided a way to fly. Fly! With sound effects and momentum and smokey whooshes as you tried to ascend! Fire me out of dat cannon, keep me in the skies!

I agree

Only the Skells in Xenoblade X gave me a similar feeling of freedom like the cap did

mas8705

If we were looking for power ups that have utility, I have to give it to Hammer Mario.

latest

Besides being able to throw out Hammers that can take out enemies that the fire flower can't (and even can take down Bowser in SMB3), you can also crouch to shield yourself from fire attacks too. Really is a shame that it didn't get much screen time after SMB3 though (or at least not from what I can immediately recall).

Spring mario.

People hate it but I thought it was fun and hilarious.

They only hate it because it was probably the most platforming demanding skill in SMG, Spring Mario didn't mess around, you had to time those jumps and master that movement.

Thus it was in fact pretty great and way better than the adorable yet slow Bee and Boo abilities.

Cape. You can fly for as long as your thumbs will permit, and do neat tricks too. Second place for Hammer Bros suit. Honorable mention for Jet Pot, if we count Super Mario Land 3 as a Mario game.

maxcriden

holy shit I actually read that in Toad's voice before reading the note lmaoooo

Wow that is seriously impressive! You are now crowned a Mario fan of the highest order.

I will always love the hammy SM advance voice acting.

New Super Luigi U managed to get the penguin suit back in the main game at least.

Yesss me too. Lucky!

I forgot NSLU brought the penguin suit back into the main game. Sounds like I'm due for a replay!

The shrink Mushroom was a lot of fun!

Agreed, especially when Mario psychoanalyzed that Goomba. Who knew he was holding onto so many repressed issues and limb envy?

I just realized Odyssey will be the second ever HD 3D Mario. Damn I just realized how significant that is! I'm one of those people who didn't like 3D World much, so that barely even counts to me.

we are in for a treat my friends :)

*adjusts Professor Fungi glasses*
We regret to inform you your status as a Mario fan of the highest order has been revoked.

I remember multiple reviews criticizing the spring power up specifically when the game first came out.

I don't dislike it, although it can sometimes be annoying.

Huh, interesting. Thanks for the info. I hadn't read the reviews when the game came out because I was in a weird period where I wasn't as into gaming. Thankfully that passed a long time ago, haha.

They only hate it because it was probably the most platforming demanding skill in SMG, Spring Mario didn't mess around, you had to time those jumps and master that movement.

Thus it was in fact pretty great and way better than the adorable yet slow Bee and Boo abilities.

I think that's why I enjoyed it. It was really challenging to maneuver but satisfying to accomplish.

I remember some people theorizing that it might have gotten bumped based off the bit of direct feed footage of the release version we've seen.

Interesting. I ~hope~ the demo in stores is an old version (720p? IDK)? Because it's fugly and jaggy :p

It was probably the 900p version. The jaggies could easily have been caused by the the TV settings, display settings on in-store demo TVs tend to be really bad.

I'm a fan of Mini Mushroom.
There's gotta be like 3 of us, at least.

There was an optional stage in NSMB2 where the mini mushroom was mandatory and you had to go through an autoscroller on the waters surface avoiding the one hit kill hazards while making sure you kept moving as to not drop under the water.
It was pretty neat and had a choose your own difficulty approach at the start.

shame they never really got to use the item that much in a way that used its extra quirks.

nickgia

MAX!

Genius thread idea, and there are too many power ups to choose from! I will probably edit more in later, but if I had to pick one single power up, I would have to say....

THE WINGED CAP.

Mos def. Loved the feeling of flying anywhere.

Painguy

MAX!

THE WINGED CAP.

Mario 64 was revolutionary for me in a lot of ways, and traversing through each painted world expanded my mind. Mario had so many moves, and being able to explore the castle's secrets and search for stars in each level filled me with constant wonder. By land, by sea.... or by air. I wasn't just running and jumping through levels, but like the leaf and feather before it, Mario 64 provided a way to fly. Fly! With sound effects and momentum and smokey whooshes as you tried to ascend! Fire me out of dat cannon, keep me in the skies!

Only correct answer. This was an incredible revolution. It gave humans the ability to live out a life long dream of man. To be able to fly. It was so incredibly executed too.

I think one of my most recent favorite power-ups is the duplication one in Super Mario 3D World. I loved hitting that and having a bunch of copies of my character running around on screen. Probably my favorite addition in that game which I was otherwise pretty cool on overall (I think I preferred 3D Land a bit more).

Also a big fan of Metal Mario in Mario 64. Not the most useful or fun power-up, but it just looked awesome.
I'm a fan of Mini Mushroom.
There's gotta be like 3 of us, at least.

I was a big fan of the mini-Mushroom, it was probably my favorite part of NSMB, especially how you needed it to get to certain stage exits.

chemicals

The power ups in SMB3 will always be the best. They were hard to come by and the game simply became almost magical when you had the shoe or the racoon suit. Hell I even loved the frog suit.

The cape in super mario world is good but the correct answer is definitely Yoshi no question. I always thought the frog suit in mario 3 was awesome too but still love yoshi the best.

mas8705

I almost mentioned Metal Mario in my first reply just for the aesthetic and music too, glad I'm not alone

If I had to give an honorable mention, Metal Mario would be it. While the Star is a good powerup too, I feel like Metal was almost like a next step evolution. Also kudo points to the theme that made it all the more awesome.

traveler

Not Wario
I see most have been covered, but not enough love for:

200px-Ice_Mario_Art_-_Super_Mario_Galaxy.png

The moment when you realize how to progress with the waterfalls is amazing, and the powerup is worth it for that alone, nevermind how much fun it is to use in other stages.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

The moment when you realize how to progress with the waterfalls is amazing, and the powerup is worth it for that alone, nevermind how much fun it is to use in other stages.

Came here to post exactly this. Feels so much fun

psyfi

Banned

Oh damn yeah this one is amazing

This one is underrated. Really fun.

The blue shell from New Super Mario Bros. DS. I'm glad it came back functionality wise in 3D World when you can just go inside shells you steal from koopas.

Yes! Galaxy's A+ ice skating controls make it even better as well.

Emitan

It has to be the cat suit because it gives you an amazing amount of options. Diving, a melee attack, being able to cancel actions, climbing walls...

It’s got to be the Cloud Suit. A Mario power-up that allows you to build your own platforming challenges and movesets is basically the platonic ideal of what a Mario power up should be.

Cat suit’s not far behind.

xboxster

Wing Cap Mario based on the music and the nostalgia of flying through one of the first 3D environments I've ever played.

Overall though, I go for the Cape. Skilled players can glide for quite some time, and it reflects objects/opponents in Smash.

This one is certainly up there with my all time favs, when you get to Ice Skate across Lava as well? Really cool. Part of the reason why I prefer Galaxy 1 over 2 is because they didn't bring back Ice Flower (and yet brought back Spring for heaven knows why).

In contrast, the Ice Flower the New Super Mario Bros. Series has in comparison is supremely awful replacement, even when you get the Penguin Suit, don't care. Got nothing on Galaxy's Ice Flower.

Top Bottom