• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008-2009 MLB Offseason Thread of Billy Beane mocking Qwerty for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

firex

I really don't like the Taveras signing. they don't need some guy with speed/steals but almost no real bat. They just need someone with a high OBP, which I don't think Taveras really is.

I guess they had no real shot at Rocco Baldelli or Pat Burrell, which is too bad since either of those guys would be great in this lineup.

eznark said:
Dunn, Bruce and Griffey was the most common lineup right? How is Willy going to make that better, by himself??

Corey Patterson played a shitload early in the year until Bruce was called up. And STILL played often. He had a ridiculous amount of AB's for a guy with an under .200 BA most of the year. Junior was not in good shape either and his career is basically done, I would say Taveras is better than either one. If we can't find a decent bat to put in left, an outfield of Bruce, Dickerson, and Taveras isn't worse than Dunn, Junior, and Patterson and huge improvements defensively.

eznark

Banned
Spider Silva said:
Corey Patterson played a shitload early in the year until Bruce was called up. And STILL played often. He had a ridiculous amount of AB's for a guy with an under .200 BA most of the year. Junior was not in good shape either and his career is basically done, I would say Taveras is better than either one. If we can't find a decent bat to put in left, an outfield of Bruce, Dickerson, and Taveras isn't worse than Dunn, Junior, and Patterson and huge improvements defensively.

Based on his age, I would say Dickerson's 2008 is an outlier. Obviously he won't play as well as he did in his 31 major league games, but even his 2008 AAA numbers were significantly inflated compared to his career numbers.

I'm with firex, I really thought they had Burrell, which would have been an awesome signing. As it is, 2009 is looking like a really, really bad year for Reds power numbers.

firex said:
I really don't like the Taveras signing. they don't need some guy with speed/steals but almost no real bat. They just need someone with a high OBP, which I don't think Taveras really is.

I guess they had no real shot at Rocco Baldelli or Pat Burrell, which is too bad since either of those guys would be great in this lineup.

Baldelli has an illness that may be hard for him to play. He was misdiagnosed at first, but I've read the condition he was "upgraded" to may take up to a year to fully recover from though, so he may not be worth it. Burrell is basically mini Adam Dunn. I wouldn't mind having him since he's coming off a World Series year, but you're going to get the same kind of stuff Dunn did here that hadn't made the Reds good for 7 years.

I like the defense and speed philosophy of changing things up. It's been far too long we've suffered as one of the worst defensive teams in baseball. If all else fails, I think the Reds will move Encarnacion to left field. He wouldn't be any worse than Dunn out there, and getting him off third base is definitely addition by subtraction. Reds may try to get Nady from the Yanks still too.

Spider Silva said:
Baldelli has an illness that may be hard for him to play. He was misdiagnosed at first, but I've read the condition he was "upgraded" to may take up to a year to fully recover from though, so he may not be worth it. Burrell is basically mini Adam Dunn. I wouldn't mind having him since he's coming off a World Series year, but you're going to get the same kind of stuff Dunn did here that hadn't made the Reds good for 7 years.

I like the defense and speed philosophy of changing things up. It's been far too long we've suffered as one of the worst defensive teams in baseball. If all else fails, I think the Reds will move Encarnacion to left field. He wouldn't be any worse than Dunn out there, and getting him off third base is definitely addition by subtraction. Reds may try to get Nady from the Yanks still too.

Well at least you're pretty excited about having the second worst offensive CF in baseball on your team.

eznark

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Well at least you're pretty excited about having the second worst offensive CF in baseball on your team.

The moment he was stoked about Willy, I knew he was a Dunn hater. Bewildering.

firex

that's why I don't want Willy Taveras. the Reds already have a shitty outfielder who can't hit, but can steal, in Corey Patterson. I would seriously rather take Rocco Baldelli with his muscle disease than Willy with his "can't fucking hit the baseball" disease. also, the biggest difference between Pat Burrell and Dunn is Pat the Bat is a righty, which is exactly what the lineup needs so they aren't so lefty stacked.

I mean at this point I basically have to hope they still have Jerry Hairston Jr. and he actually plays up to his first half of 2008 form this coming season, or else the leadoff spot is worthless.

firex said:
that's why I don't want Willy Taveras. the Reds already have a shitty outfielder who can't hit, but can steal, in Corey Patterson. I would seriously rather take Rocco Baldelli with his muscle disease than Willy with his "can't fucking hit the baseball" disease. also, the biggest difference between Pat Burrell and Dunn is Pat the Bat is a righty, which is exactly what the lineup needs so they aren't so lefty stacked.

I mean at this point I basically have to hope they still have Jerry Hairston Jr. and he actually plays up to his first half of 2008 form this coming season, or else the leadoff spot is worthless.

I'm not so pessimistic. Some of the best players we've had in the last few years have been coming off mediocre seasons. I just wish we could have gotten Burrell, but we can't afford nice things like the Yankees.

vas_a_morir said:
I'm not so pessimistic. Some of the best players we've had in the last few years have been coming off mediocre seasons. I just wish we could have gotten Burrell, but we can't afford nice things like the Yankees.
What about coming off of mediocre careers? And that's being generous.

eznark said:
The moment he was stoked about Willy, I knew he was a Dunn hater. Bewildering.

Not bewildering at all. Dunn didn't want to be here, it wasn't working out, and the defensive problems he had were old. It's simply time to move on from the plodding Junior/Dunn era. With Taveras, I'm not stoked or anything, but if he can put up numbers similar to two years ago as opposed to last year, I imagine he will do fine. I'm guessing he'll be between both numbers.

And like I said, we have a whopping two outfielders right now. Every move doesn't have to be dissected and bashed constantly is what I don't get. When you have a whopping two outfielders and some fans bitch because we're not getting Manny, Texiera, Burrell, and resigning Dunn - all in one. If we can pull a trade off for a decent OF'er, thats a way to go. Otherwise, nothing's changed. Building good prospects within the organization is priority number one. The season isn't going to be made or broke by signing Taveras. If he plays similar to his numbers a couple years ago, great, we could use it. If he implodes like last year, so be it, he'll likely be benched. Doesn't change a damn thing as far as what the organization needs to do in the draft and building up prospects from within.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I hope the Sox signing Penny means they are giving up on signing Lowe. Time for the Mets to move in!

firex said:
I would seriously rather take Rocco Baldelli with his muscle disease than Willy with his "can't fucking hit the baseball" disease.
I laughed.

eznark

Banned
firex said:
that's why I don't want Willy Taveras. the Reds already have a shitty outfielder who can't hit, but can steal, in Corey Patterson. I would seriously rather take Rocco Baldelli with his muscle disease than Willy with his "can't fucking hit the baseball" disease.

Fucking awesome. And I am still hoping the Crew signs one of the whitey mashers out there, Baldelli included. Disease or no, dude is better than fucking Melky (or Willy).

wtf muscle disease? It's MITOCHONDRIAL dammit! He has to recharge his AT gauge every time he unleashes a Parasite attack!

pe3.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
eznark said:
Fucking awesome. And I am still hoping the Crew signs one of the whitey mashers out there, Baldelli included. Disease or no, dude is better than fucking Melky (or Willy).

RED SOX SENSE TINGLING

Baldelli: I...feel...so....hot....

The Frankman said:
wtf muscle disease? It's MITOCHONDRIAL dammit! He has to recharge his AT gauge every time he unleashes a Parasite attack!

That game sucks ass. I didn't play it til last year, though. Maybe I'd like it better if I played it back in the day.

vas_a_morir said:
That game sucks ass. I didn't play it til last year, though. Maybe I'd like it better if I played it back in the day.
Dude that game is one of the Top 20 PSX games NOW. How could you not like it? What kind of games do you like/are you playing now?

The Frankman said:
Dude that game is one of the Top 20 PSX games NOW. How could you not like it? What kind of games do you like/are you playing now?

My top 5 for the year:

1. Persona 4
2. Gears of War 2
3. Fallout 3
4. Mirror's Edge
5. DeadSpace

Top 3 in the last two years:

1. Mario Galaxy
2. Persona 4
3. Persona 3
However, there is more to me than meets the eye.

When I was a young man, I often looked up at the cold, Appalachian sky and wondered "will I ever escape this desolate place? This prison?" For, it is true that the mountains that have nurtured us also serve as our oppressors. But, let's not get ahead of ourselves:

It all started when I was around the age of 3. At that time, I began to see other people as sentient beings with real feelings after my grandfather died. I looked at my grandmother's tired, weathered face as she wept for a lo..... ... ... ... ... ... ...
... (20 minutes later)
.................................................and I never ate curry again. Which brings us to today: I think the menu system is gronky in PE and the combat is a tiresome burden.

rc213

bluemax said:
Their offense isn't too horrible compared to the Dbacks and Dodgers. If the Dodgers don't get Manny I'm picking Giants as division champs. As is they are going to be the surprise team of the year in the NL.

Penny killed his career by being a jackass and pitching through pain.

And he still bitched and pouted like a pussy at the end of last season when Torre told him he was being shut down. What a jackass!

LJ11

I should get around to playing Persona 3, in the wrapper since release. PE was a pretty good game, never played the sequel.

eznark

Banned
LJ11 said:
I should get around to playing Persona 3, in the wrapper since release. PE was a pretty good game, never played the sequel.

I just started it. When I say I just started it I mean I am like ten hours in. This game reminds me of Steve Trachsel so far. I'm not really enjoying it and I know it is going to take forever.

LJ11

eznark said:
I just started it. When I say I just started it I mean I am like ten hours in. This game reminds me of Steve Trachsel so far. I'm not really enjoying it and I know it is going to take forever.

:lol

jman2050

eznark said:

I will now compare every game I play that is slow-developing, boring, and time-consuming to Steve Traschel. Thank you. Thank you so much.

Y2Kev

I remember Parasite Eve as being a very easy game. Not the endgame, which is fucking impossible. PE2 blows.

Spider Silva said:
GTFO of here with this videogame shit fuckers.

You have a lot to learn about MLB GAF, my friend. Whenever nothing baseball related is going on, rather than not post, we talk about games, usually J-RPG's. I dunno, it just happens.

I remember Parasite Eve as being a very easy game. Not the endgame, which is fucking impossible. PE2 blows.
Wasn't THAT easy. I mean once you get the Ultimate Weapon yeah, but goddamn how many times did you have to
kill Eve? It was like MGS, she and her spawn wouldn't die
!

PE2 would've been a decent offering had PE never existed. But it did and PE is forever called a wannabe RE2 game.
vas_a_morir said:
You have a lot to learn about MLB GAF, my friend. Whenever nothing baseball related is going on, rather than not post, we talk about games, usually J-RPG's. I dunno, it just happens.
And now anime. I'm busy shopping Brian Cashman's face onto Ash Ketchum, I think I can put both Steinbrenners onto Brock and Misty. I wonder who'll be Team Rocket. :D

eznark

Banned
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/free-willy/

They like the signing a shit load more than I do:

By signing Taveras, Jocketty and the Reds are likely paying him somewhere in the vicinity of the +0.8 wins while holding out plenty of hope that his actual value inches closer to the +2.4 win mark. A few aspects of his performance will need to revert to prior instances of success for this to take place, but it still seems more sound than throwing Patterson out there for another season. Well, more sound assuming that they are not paying Taveras an exorbitant fee.

As long as the deal stays much lower than the $12 mil fair market value based on his “extremely optimistic” projection, it isn’t an awful signing.

The deal does, however, depend a lot on the hope that the Taveras from 2008 is not truly Willy. Two-year deals based on a hope are awfully risky
, so this will be considered a win for the Reds if and only if his production improves. It might not be considered a loss if the average annual value is even lower than the $4 mil fair market value based on his actual projection if the production fails to improve. Still, for an organization with some nice young pieces in place, a two-year deal based on a hope seems like an odd move.

Fatalah

Well, there are essentially 2 real work days this week. I agree with the poster above that predicts Pettitte to be sorted out by Wednesday.

Y2Kev

I hope a Mets fan calls Fatty today because he's already high strung with the cowboys and jets losses. Just mention Santana not being an ace and we might get a supernova.

Y2Kev said:
I hope a Mets fan calls Fatty today because he's already high strung with the cowboys and jets losses. Just mention Santana not being an ace and we might get a supernova.

What is New York radio saying about Chad? I mean, do they feel like they deserved this? Do they feel like God hates them?

Y2Kev

"Da Dolphins are not a good team! But gib dem credit. Dey don't have a lot of physical talent...but dey neva make a mistake! Dat team is playcalling."

Link

The Autumn Wind
I don't really post in the NFL thread, so I'll just put this here. As a Jets fan, I'm kinda glad they lost yesterday. They were eliminated with the Ravens' win anyway, so the outcome didn't matter. However, winning would mean the Pats got into the playoffs. I'd much rather see a team like the Dolphins get in than the Pats. Hell, anyone but the Pats.

LJ11

I love how fatty doesn't touch Tannenbaum. Dude is a shit GM, period, but Fatty always passes the buck when it comes to criticizing his role in building the mess. It's great when he states a draft pick may have been on Tannenbaum or Mangini, "I don't know," followed by "Tannenbaum is on at 4." I'm sure you don't, need to fill that time slot.

With regards to the football thread, there's good talk from certain posters (see Wellie's Lions post), but the majority of the posts are guys ribbing each other. All I'll say, is thank God the Pirates are a dysfunctional mess, because if we had the Pitt fans in here....ugh.

Speaking of Pitt, while I went out to get lunch, Benigno and Roberts were talking about possible replacements. Cowher would be my dream. I would be forced to watch every minute of every game if I wanted to call myself a Jets fan, lest Cowher slaughter me in my own home.

LJ11

CajoleJuice said:
Speaking of Pitt, while I went out to get lunch, Benigno and Roberts were talking about possible replacements. Cowher would be my dream. I would be forced to watch every minute of every game if I wanted to call myself a Jets fan, lest Cowher slaughter me in my own home.

It'd be nice, and Woody Johnson has the money, so no issues there. It's all on Cowher, he can get any job.

Y2Kev

LJ11 said:
With regards to the football thread, there's good talk from certain posters (see Wellie's Lions post), but the majority of the posts are guys ribbing each other. All I'll say, is thank God the Pirates are a dysfunctional mess, because if we had the Pitt fans in here....ugh.
:lol they really are a rotten lot

YOU CANT RIB THEM BACK. Rib them and they go all indignant.

LJ11

Y2Kev said:
:lol they really are a rotten lot

YOU CANT RIB THEM BACK. Rib them and they go all indignant.

And they whine like no other about officiating. Can you imagine strike zone complaints? To top it off, their posts are basically play by play so each strike/ball would be logged.

Oh, quick baseball tidbit: Dodgers are starting to talk to Adam Dunn. Manny is getting owned.

Pittsburgh Steelers fans are the fucking worst. They have the most boring team with the ugliest colors and the most tame fans, because they have relatively few real fans and an ass load of bandwagon supporters who like to win. Steelers fans in Southern Ohio should be shot, but I meet them all the time. Time for some MLBGAF SAT!!!

Steelers fans : NFL :: Tarheel fans : NCAAB
Steelers fans : Football :: Bands : Wagons

I dunno, but I hate teams who have a majority of fans that aren't from that geographical area. Pittsburgh will be the next Detroit as the steel industry collapses, so enjoy it while you can bitches! Which sucks, because I really love the city.

However, real Pittsburgh fans like JaknCoke is on the level. He's a true Pittsburgh guy.

firex

I honestly troll NFL threads, or just post irrelevant updates about the terrible Bengals games in there that nobody reads. there's no real point to it otherwise.

which is funny because I originally started posting in OT due to NFL GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom