• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008-2009 MLB Offseason Thread of Billy Beane mocking Qwerty for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
Better than playing JRPGs.

I finished Vesperia a couple weeks ago and I'm in the middle of Valkyria Chronicles. I did just get Crysis Warhead from Goozex though, so hopefully I can get some of that in as long as I don't have to sit at Tiffany's all damn day tomorrow.

I would do that trade in a heartbeat.

Why? The Marlins have Ramirez locked up for God damned ever. Why take a passel of mediocrity in exchange?

LJ11

eznark said:
Why? The Marlins have Ramirez locked up for God damned ever. Why take a passel of mediocrity in exchange?

I was replying to funk, who wasn't "keen" on making that kind of deal for Ramirez. Marlins would be nuts to let go of Ramirez for the players listed in his OP.

eznark said:
I finished Vesperia a couple weeks ago and I'm in the middle of Valkyria Chronicles. I did just get Crysis Warhead from Goozex though, so hopefully I can get some of that in as long as I don't have to sit at Tiffany's all damn day tomorrow.

ahh, I didn't know the Marlins had Ramirez locked down for 6/70million. I figured they'd want to give him up before having to shell out ryan Howard type money in arbitration.

eznark

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
ahh, I didn't know the Marlins had Ramirez locked down for 6/70million. I figured they'd want to give him up before having to shell out ryan Howard type money in arbitration.

Yeah man, the years and money they have him for, that guy is a "Marlin fo life yo!"

vas_a_morir said:
I wish baseball season would fucking start already. I'm going to go to like 30 games this year.
I'll sleep outside Citi to get Opening Day tickets if I have to. I'll regale with Mets stories like the time a fan asked Bobby V if Benitez would be the closer over Franco in 1999 and Bobby said "That's a stupid question" :lol

Link

The Autumn Wind
eznark said:
Yeah man, the years and money they have him for, that guy is a "Marlin fo life yo!"
You underestimate Jeffrey Loria. They can easily find someone willing to pick up that contract. It's just a matter of a team offering prospects the Marlins want (i.e., players they don't have to pay much).

The Frankman said:
I'll sleep outside Citi to get Opening Day tickets if I have to. I'll regale with Mets stories like the time a fan asked Bobby V if Benitez would be the closer over Franco in 1999 and Bobby said "That's a stupid question" :lol

He got fired the other day, I think. I wonder where he'll coach next?

eznark

Banned
Link said:
You underestimate Jeffrey Loria. They can easily find someone willing to pick up that contract. It's just a matter of a team offering prospects the Marlins want (i.e., players they don't have to pay much).

Dude, everyone in the world would take that contract, it's the best contract in baseball right now (I'd still take Braun). Therefore, there is zero reason in the world Loria would ever have to give him up.

If the Sox were able to get Hanley fucking Ramirez from the Marlins for basically fuck all after they already took Beckett from them, it'd be a travesty.

But I couldn't be mad at the Sox if Lolria was dumb enough to do it. :lol

Also, ATTN: YANKEES
TRADE MATSUI FOR BEDARD

jman2050

That Sox-Marlins story is a non-story. Not even the Marlins would be stupid enough to give up a top 5 hitter not even in his prime for 3 prospects of which only one of them has any real top-tier upside. They don't even have the excuse of getting rid of him before they have to pay him.

Fatalah

The Frankman said:
I'll sleep outside Citi to get Opening Day tickets if I have to.

800px-Willetspoint-8907.jpg

Decoy sneakers. "Yo, gimme dem sneaks!".

Fatalah

Wickerman said:
You know what I mean

Oh yeah, and that Andruw Jones-Mets deal has been shot down.

TUESDAY, 9:02am: ESPN's Buster Olney says the Dodgers and Mets "have kept the porch light on" in case some version of a Jones-Castillo swap can be made. He talked to a source who believes the Mets' chances of trading Castillo before the season are 50-50.
:lol :lol :lol

Maybe the Mets can trade for Eddie Curry too?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Olney is trying to out-Gammons Gammons.

Just remember that Hall of Fame Red Sox Shill Peter Gammons has been right on absolutely nothing for the past two years and wrote a column comparing "Manny being Manny" to steroids and OJ Simpson.

Sanjuro

Heard on the WEEI that the Hanley deal talks are dead. The Marlins were looking for Jacoby as the centerpiece and Buchholz.

Maybe I'm giving the Red Sox front office too much credit but I can't imagine Jacoby Ellsbury holding up a trade for fucking Hanley Ramirez. Jesus Christ.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Fatalah said:
Clay Buch and Jacoby? I don't know if that's enough...
They would probably need to throw in someone like Masterson or Bowden.

CajoleJuice said:
Maybe I'm giving the Red Sox front office too much credit but I can't imagine Jacoby Ellsbury holding up a trade for fucking Hanley Ramirez. Jesus Christ.
The Red Sox aren't aware that Tacoby is an indian.

Sanjuro

The Red Sox made a play to re-acquire Marlins superstar Hanley Ramirez after losing out to the rival Yankees for star free agent Mark Teixeira, league sources tell SI.com. But while the Marlins listened to Boston's overtures, Florida isn't anxious to trade its best player, and talks apparently have been aborted after no agreement could be reached.

The Marlins were said to be most interested in a center fielder, and discussions apparently centered on Boston's promising youngster Jacoby Ellsbury, talented pitching prospect Clay Buchholz and others in a package for Ramirez, who began in Boston's organization.

Though the Red Sox can't quite match the Yankees dollar for dollar, Boston is willing to think creatively to try to enhance its offense. While the cost-conscious Marlins listened to Boston's proposals, Florida would need to be overwhelmed to consider dealing Ramirez, who's considered one of the best young offensive players in the game. Since Boston is said to be happy with Jed Lowrie at shortstop, it's possible the Red Sox might have considered using Ramirez in center field.

I doubt it would be any other significant players you have seen play here already. Maybe Lars or another prospect. If this is dead this is all just fodder anyway, does sound a bit interesting.

CajoleJuice said:
Jacoby will still be a great player. Hanley at his age though is to much hot sex to pass up IMO.

Okay, so to review:

- Hanley Ramirez is a shortstop with good/great power who hits to all fields and is a plus defender (ala Nomar or young Jeter), and would sit in the middle of any team's order

- He is currently signed to a contract where the team controls him cheaply for 2+ years

- He is apparently available for trade somehow

- He would solve all current Red Sox offensive and defensive issues instantly

- All he would cost the Red Sox is Laptops Buchholz, and Tacoby Bellsbury, and lesser player/s after

- That is too rich for the Red Sox' FO's blood.

...no way I believe that. Either this whole thing was bullshit, or the Sox are sort of dumbtarded.

Zep

Banned
captmcblack said:
Okay, so to review:

- Hanley Ramirez is a shortstop with good/great power who hits to all fields and is a plus defender (ala Nomar or young Jeter), and would sit in the middle of any team's order

- He is currently signed to a contract where the team controls him cheaply for 2+ years

- He is apparently available for trade somehow

- He would solve all current Red Sox offensive defensive issues instantly

Sounds about right..

Maybe they're happy with their young players and know that Ramirez is a time bomb waiting to explode? Remember Miguel Cabrera? Hanley starts to turn into that and BoSOx are fucked royal.

Why would Boston trade one guy who helped lead them into the playoffs, a pitcher they still think can be a talent and presumably another A prospect when they're happy w/ their shortstop?

The Frankman said:
Maybe they're happy with their young players and know that Ramirez is a time bomb waiting to explode? Remember Miguel Cabrera? Hanley starts to turn into that and BoSOx are fucked royal.

Why would Boston trade one guy who helped lead them into the playoffs, a pitcher they still think can be a talent and presumably another A prospect when they're happy w/ their shortstop?
Hanley isn't fat.

eznark

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:
Jacoby will still be a great player. Hanley at his age though is to much hot sex to pass up IMO.

At some point you need to divorce your fan boner from your player analysis. And if I were the Red Sox I would tell the Mainers to write down a list of any 6 players (Literally, any 6). I would then give the Marlins those six players knowing 2009 is a long shot anyway. Then, I'd do my shitty New York impersonation (Boston is awesome at that shit) and refill the stock in the off season.

[I'm half way through season 2...The Wire is far too engrossing to stop for vidjamagamez]

clemenx

Banned
God speaking of Cabrera, i saw him on TV the other night, he's so freaking fat, is not even funny. I don't like him anymore. He was with Ozzie so i hope he said him his things.

Also, i hate baseball forums, I've seen a couple of Red Sox fans crying and saying "LOLOLOL I don't want to give Clay or Lars for Hanley"

Jesus Christ, he's probably the best player right now behind Pooholes.

The Frankman said:

*because they could get Ellsburys out of their farm system often; I'm sure they have other AAAA outfielders with high GORP.

*because Hanley Ramirez is a bat that would make their order as follows:

- Ramirez
- Pedroia
- Youkilis
- Ortiz
- Bay
- Drew
- Lowell
- C/CF
- CF/C

Their 1-6 in that setup can hit 20HR each, drive in 80+ RBI each, bat .280+ each and be on base .360+. That shit would be ridiculous.

*because they'd own Hanley Ramirez cheaply as he keeps mashing 25 to 35HR and driving in 100RBI through the end of the world in 2012.

Yeah, Buccholz *could* be awesome...but Hanley Ramirez already IS awesome, and is only growing more awesome at a cheap price at a premium position. If that's the trade, you HAVE to make it.

CajoleJuice said:
Hanley isn't fat.
He's slowly getting there. Give him time.

I have never been in favor on making trades unless they noticeably help you in an area a team is deficient in. This helps the Sox offensively yeah, but if they like Lowrie at short and Hanley won't play 2nd... I don't know, it'd depend who are the other prospects given up.

Look, obviously you are disregarding the negatives about Ramirez's makeup that came from the Fish towards the end of the year. Fine, I'm not saying they don't make this deal; just don't give up 5 guys for one guy unless you know he doesn't have any minuses in his head.

eznark

Banned
clemenx said:
God speaking of Cabrera, i saw him on TV the other night, he's so freaking fat, is not even funny. I don't like him anymore. He was with Ozzie so i hope he said him his things.

Also, i hate baseball forums, I've seen a couple of Red Sox fans crying and saying "LOLOLOL I don't want to give Clay or Lars for Hanley"

Jesus Christ, he's probably the best player right now behind Pooholes.

Sorry, if 1A is Albert, 1B is Tex.

The Frankman said:
He's slowly getting there. Give him time.
I don't see it. Right off the bat you could tell Miguel Cabrera was Andruw Jones redux (although he still has quite a few years left to totally collapse).

CajoleJuice said:
I don't see it. Right off the bat you could tell Miguel Cabrera was Andruw Jones redux (although he still has quite a few years left to totally collapse).
Speaking of Andru you wouldn't do that trade if it meant giving up Castillo (who you HATE) and the Dodgers paying some of the salary? Why? I'd do that in a second.

eznark

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:
Did you even read the second sentence out of two? :lol

I did, I just think stating Jacoby will be great is a bit of a stretch. I'll be very interested to see what that lineup looks and performs like without Ortiz or Manny.

The Frankman said:
Speaking of Andru you wouldn't do that trade if it meant giving up Castillo (who you HATE) and the Dodgers paying some of the salary? Why? I'd do that in a second.
I was actually thinking about this earlier. Depends on how much the Dodgers pay. And it means the Mets better sign Hudson. Then I guess I could stand seeing his fat ass ground into double plays. He'd only be a fourth outfielder anyway.

I hate saying that, but I don't want to see Castillo hobbling anymore. And his swing is so fucking disgusting, ugh.

CajoleJuice said:
I was actually thinking about this earlier. Depends on how much the Dodgers pay. And it means the Mets better sign Hudson. Then I guess I could stand seeing his fat ass ground into double plays. He'd only be a fourth outfielder anyway.
*goes to check all the free agent 2nd basemen for 2008-2009*

This list is kinda old...

Willie Bloomquist
Craig Counsell
Callix Crabbe
Ray Durham
Damion Easley
Tony Graffanino
Mark Grudzielanek
Jerry Hairston, Jr. - has talked with CIN (11/6)
Orlando Hudson - STL showing interest (11/10)
Tadahito Iguchi
D'Angelo Jimenez
Jeff Kent - expected to retire (11/3)
Felipe Lopez - report: STL has made contract offer (11/15)
Mark Loretta - ARZ has held preliminary talks (11/7)
Ramon Martinez
Pablo Ozuna
Pokey Reese
Luis Rivas - not expected back in PIT (11/9)
Gil Velasquez

How about the Mets resign Damion Easley? It'd be EASLEY the best decision of the off-season! :D

man I'm going to miss the Damion puns.

They really can't get a better deal for Castillo, though? Fuck. This is painful just thinking about.

No, I can't condone Andruw Jones on the team. I can't do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom