• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008-2009 MLB Offseason Thread of Billy Beane mocking Qwerty for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

There are literally maybe 2 or 3 hitters I would put over Hanley Ramirez in the entire league given his age, potential, and contract. There is no chance in HELL I'd trade someone of his caliber for a meh young center fielder and pitching prospect that, while good, is still a gigantic risk. Buchholz would have to be the second coming of Sandy Koufax for a trade like that to even begin looking good on the Marlins end.

Sanjuro

jman2050 said:
There are literally maybe 2 or 3 hitters I would put over Hanley Ramirez in the entire league given his age, potential, and contract. There is no chance in HELL I'd trade someone of his caliber for a meh young center fielder and pitching prospect that, while good, is still a gigantic risk. Buchholz would have to be the second coming of Sandy Koufax for a trade like that to even begin looking good on the Marlins end.
Since when do the Marlins care about looking good? They have their stealth World Series Championship clause of one per decade still in effect.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jacoby won't be a great player. He has never exhibited any power anywhere in his career.

edit: Frankman are you tarded. Tacoby lead them into the playoffs? His OPS+ over his only full season was 87.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
If the Marlins want outfield and pitching prospects that would be cheap for years, and would seriously give up Hanley Ramirez, I don't understand why the Twins are not on the phone with them RIGHT NOW. Our system is basically filled with those two things.

Oh wait that would make too much sense.

eznark

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Jacoby won't be a great player. He has never exhibited any power anywhere in his career.

edit: Frankman are you tarded. Tacoby lead them into the playoffs?

weren't you the one jerking off about stolen bases the other day?

eznark said:
Sorry, if 1A is Albert, 1B is Tex.

In terms of "best 1B in all of baseball", definitely.

In terms of best players, you have to have:

- Pujols
- A-Rod
- Manram
- Utley

At least in there around/before Tex. Tex is probably top 10, though.

Sanjuro

Y2Kev said:
He is still very young. By great I don't mean perennial All-Star. He is an very exciting player with speed and a decent batting average, I don't think he will ever develop to be a power player.

captmcblack said:

- Pujols
- A-Rod
- Manram
- Utley

I think Manny needs an asterisk for "when he wants to play." Also, the other guys can actually field.

eznark

Banned
captmcblack said:

- Pujols
- A-Rod
- Manram
- Utley

Hold up. I'll give you the first three are in the discussion, I contend Tex's switch hitting and defense vault him over Manny.

But Utley? Are you serious? His marginal value is possibly higher because he is so much better than every other 2B, but in terms of pure player v. player? Again, defense and both plates put him a mile ahead of Chase.

Chase Utley is by far the best name in baseball though.

Ellsbury is a less shitty Coco Crisp.

Let's be clear.

[EDIT: RE: Chase Utley, he's an excellent 2B that also happens to mash 30+ HR and put up a .300/.400/.500+ line regularly. How can he not be up there? Maybe he's borderline like say...Matt Holliday, but whatever.]

Zep

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:
He is still very young. By great I don't mean perennial All-Star. He is an very exciting player with speed and a decent batting average, I don't think he will ever develop to be a power player.

So hes a shittier version on Shane Victorino? Sounds about right.

Tex miles ahead of Utley in overall player value...hahaha. Not even gonna get into that.

Zep said:
So hes a shittier version on Shane Victorino? Sounds about right.

Tex miles ahead of Utley in overall player value...hahaha. Not even gonna get into that.
Why not! We can actually be on the same team for once! :)

Y2Kev

eznark said:
Well someone was, and I bet that person values speed as much as power. And also be a very dumb shit.
MAYB IT WAS U

frankly I'm offended by your suggestion that it could have been me

Zep

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:
I wouldn't say shitty quite yet as he only has one complete season in the majors, but more or less your right.

Don't take it that way...He's Vic without the power numbers, is all I meant.

jman2050

captmcblack said:

- Pujols
- A-Rod
- Manram
- Utley

Just on pure ability and results, I go Pujols, A-Rod, Manny definitely for top 3, and from there it gets a bit murky, as I'd put Hanley, Wright, Sizemore, Utley, Beltran, and maybe Youkillis (though I think his power this past season was a fluke, you can't knock his godly OBP skills) all in one group, with Hanley beating them out considering contract and age.

Cajole you're killing me w/ your reaction to Jones. I hope they trade for him now. :D

Y2Kev said:
edit: Frankman are you tarded. Tacoby lead them into the playoffs?
Well not LAST year... all I'm saying is no need to drastically change the status quo. Also I want to see who all the prospects are.

Y2Kev

I can't understand this Sizemore lovefest. Yes, he's a ++++ defender but I don't really think he belongs on the list with players like Utley and Poopjuls yet. His stats are attractive but we're going to put him on a top ten most valuable over replacement players?

Taking it a step further, over the same two-year period Teixeira has the 8th highest VORP total of any hitter in baseball. This should be especially amusing to those that claim he somehow isn’t worth his contract because he is a first baseman, since the numbers are adjusted for position. We’ll repeat that just to make certain that it’s clear: over the last two seasons, only Pujols, Hanley Ramirez, A-Rod, Chipper, Wright, Utley, and Holliday have been more productive offensively when adjusting for positional scarcity.

If we look simply at offensive production with no regard for position, Teixeira is tied for the 4th highest OPS+ in all of baseball (151) over the last two years. Only Pujols, Chipper, and A-Rod are ahead of him, with Ortiz posting the same 151. If we take it back to a period of four years, he is still ranked extremely high, coming in at 11th highest. The beautiful thing here is that Teixeira has been trending upward, increasing his walk rate and decreasing his strikeouts.
(nomaas)

Tex is a great player.

Zep

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
Why not! We can actually be on the same team for once! :)

We could! But really, there is nothing to argue. Best 2b, great hitter, great glove, hits lefties, team leader, saves dogs, played with bum hip and no complaints, makes 10mil less than "other guy"..

Whatever.

jman2050

Y2Kev said:
I can't understand this Sizemore lovefest. Yes, he's a ++++ defender but I don't really think he belongs on the list with players like Utley and Poopjuls yet.

Looking at a straight VORP comparison is useful, but I still think all things considered Sizemore has a ton of talent, has shown for several years that he can use all that talent, and, like Hanley, is freaking 25/26. Then again, maybe I just have a thing for center fielders since I've got Beltran up there as well.

jman2050 said:
Looking at a straight VORP comparison is useful, but I still think all things considered Sizemore has a ton of talent, has shown for several years that he can use all that talent, and, like Hanley, is freaking 25/26. Then again, maybe I just have a thing for center fielders since I've got Beltran up there as well.
Don't feel bad, I'm in the same boat (as is fangraphs).

Y2Kev

CajoleJuice said:
Don't feel bad, I'm in the same boat (as is fangraphs).
I've been looking more and more at their player valuation stuff and I don't think I am on the same page as them. I don't know what they are using, but I like to measure WAR.

Y2Kev said:
I've been looking more and more at their player valuation stuff and I don't think I am on the same page as them. I don't know what they are using, but I like to measure WAR.
I'm pretty sure that's what they are attempting to measure, or at least something close to it. Maybe they're not quite centered on it, but it's in there. I think you only have a problem with their defensive metrics and positional adjustments, which is totally understandable.

Position adjustment:

Catcher: +12.5 runs (all are per 150 defensive games)
First Base: -12.5 runs
Second Base: +2.5 runs
Third Base: +2.5 runs
Shortstop: +7.5 runs
Left Field: -7.5 runs
Center Field: +2.5 runs
Right Field: -7.5 runs
Designated Hitter: -17.5 runs

Y2Kev

CajoleJuice said:
I'm pretty sure that's what they are attempting to measure, or at least something close to it. Maybe they're not quite centered on it, but it's in there. I think you only have a problem with their defensive metrics and positional adjustments, which is totally understandable.

Catcher: +12.5 runs (all are per 150 defensive games)
First Base: -12.5 runs
Second Base: +2.5 runs
Third Base: +2.5 runs
Shortstop: +7.5 runs
Left Field: -7.5 runs
Center Field: +2.5 runs
Right Field: -7.5 runs
Designated Hitter: -17.5 runs

Well I like to look at WAR because then you often see people's methodologies in factoring positional adjustment...actually you already said this so I can stop talking now

Y2Kev said:
Well I like to look at WAR because then you often see people's methodologies in factoring positional adjustment...actually you already said this so I can stop talking now
:D I thought you were going to argue that their positional adjustments are a bit extreme, which I believe to be a valid point of contention.

Y2Kev

I'm not really saying much of anything about their methodology because I haven't looked into it that much beyond looking at some valuations and thinking they don't pass the smell test, so I refrained from commenting in too much depth.

LJ11

Fatalah said:
Is the MLB Network apart of basic cable ala YES Network/ESPN/SNY?

It's part of the NFL/NHL/Versus packages, I have to pony up an extra $5 a month. Directv is awesome, but I had a problem with them in the past, got angry over the phone, and told them to take a hike.

Fatalah

I think the odds of the Mets landing Manny aren't outlandish. He could sign with them for one year, have a crazy season with a ton of press with a competitive team, and then go onto a better market. Sell himself for a better price than he's getting now. If I were Manny, that'd be my strategy.

Fatalah

LJ11 said:
It's part of the NFL/NHL/Versus packages, I have to pony up an extra $5 a month. Directv is awesome, but I had a problem with them in the past, got angry over the phone, and told them to take a hike.

I have VERSUS on my Time Warner Cable in NYC, and I don't pay for any premium package except HBO and Showtime. When I get home, I'll check it out. Apparently it's on channel 174...

LJ11

Fatalah said:
I have VERSUS on my Time Warner Cable in NYC, and I don't pay for any premium package except HBO and Showtime. When I get home, I'll check it out. Apparently it's on channel 174...

Do you get NFL Network as well, if so you probably have MLB at no additional cost, it's on the same tier.

jakncoke

Banned
LJ11 said:

What channel is it going to be on for DTV?

Y2Kev

CajoleJuice said:
failing smell test = ranking a-rod too low :p

you do know he ranked that low on the value table because of the games he missed, right?
What, you think you are my mind reader now? :p

Pass this smell test (this is where I fart).

I get MLB network but not NFL network.

Fatalah said:
I think the odds of the Mets landing Manny aren't outlandish. He could sign with them for one year, have a crazy season with a ton of press with a competitive team, and then go onto a better market. Sell himself for a better price than he's getting now. If I were Manny, that'd be my strategy.
Forget old and busted Manny. Mets are trading for this sexy beast:

358aqms.jpg

So LJ, if I have the NFL network on DTV, I'll have the MLB network? I don't handle the bill, which is why I'm not totally up to that date with this shit.

LJ11

Yeah, you'll have MLB Cajole. Channel # is right around the NFL Network.

Strange that you don't get NFL, but you do get MLB, Kev.

I want to go back with DTV, but fuck the 2 year commitment. I already put in my time in the past, shouldn't be locked in again.

jman2050

MLB channel isn't on my DTV yet. Can't wait though. I love watching NFLN's original programming, if MLBN approaches that I should be a happy camper :)

Zep

Banned
LJ11 said:

I want to go back with DTV, but fuck the 2 year commitment. I already put in my time in the past, shouldn't be locked in again.

No FIOS in the area?

Y2Kev

LJ11 said:

maybe i DO have nfl network...but i rarely am here so i haven't checked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom