• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008-2009 MLB Offseason Thread of Billy Beane mocking Qwerty for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ11

No Fios, not yet anyway.

Certain, adjacent, neighborhoods have Fios but not mine. The neighborhoods are probably all weird by now, but the Franchise agreement precludes Verizon from moving into certain neighborhoods. They have to branch out over the course of several years, areas with two or more service providers will probably be the last to see Fios, my area already has two providers.

Politicians are always looking out for us, free market, more competition, blah blah blah.

LJ11

Fatalah said:
LJ11, are you in Queens? If so, what's the status of MLB Network and TimeWarnerCable? I'm impatient and can't wait until I get home!

I don't have TWC, but they're signed up for MLB Network.

eznark

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
Utley is one of the best defensive second baseman in baseball, eznark.

Which is why I said marginally speaking, Utley is in the conversation. You expect to have great defense at second (unless you're a Brewer fan) and most second basemen are good. His offense makes him an incredible upgrade over most others at that position.

Straight up though, Tex is the better offensive player AND gives you defense at a position where you don't generally get it.

Sorry Kev, I'm not at the office today, so I'm not paying much attention to GAF. Frankman, you're the dumb one who finds stolen bases significant. Sorry for confusing the two of you, no offense intended Kev.

eznark said:
Which is why I said marginally speaking, Utley is in the conversation. You expect to have great defense at second (unless you're a Brewer fan) and most second basemen are good. His offense makes him an incredible upgrade over most others at that position.

Straight up though, Tex is the better offensive player AND gives you defense at a position where you don't generally get it.
I can see your reasoning there. Obviously, the argument for Utley is that he's pretty close offensively AND gives you great defense at a position that is more valuable defensively. If anything, you're the one speaking marginally (comparing Tex's defense to the awful standard at the position). Although, I do think a good 1B has more of an effect that many people give.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Old (dec. 22nd) but still interesting, from BA Mailbag thingy:

Now that all of the American League Top 10 Prospect lists are in, could you provide us with an overall AL Top 10 list?

Sean McAndrews
London
Ask and ye shall receive:

1. David Price, lhp, Rays
What he showed us in the postseason was just the beginning.
2. Matt Wieters, c, Orioles
He could be Mark Teixeira—as a catcher.
3. Brett Anderson, lhp, Athletics
The best player Oakland got in the package for Dan Haren.
4. Trevor Cahill, rhp, Athletics
It will be fun to watch his friendly rivalry with Anderson.
5. Neftali Feliz, rhp, Rangers
Just one reason the Braves wish they could undo their Teixeira trade. (kill me now)
6. Tim Beckham, ss, Rays
Yet another multitalented star-in-the-making for Tampa Bay.
7. Eric Hosmer, 1b, Royals
He could be the best of all the special hitters K.C. has drafted recently.
8. Lars Anderson, 1b, Red Sox
Even if Boston signs Teixeira, it will find room for Anderson in 2010.
9. Travis Snider, of, Blue Jays
Of these 10 guys, he might make the biggest 2009 impact in the majors.
10. Mike Moustakas, 3b, Royals
In a few years, he and Hosmer could combine for 70 homers annually.

eznark

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
I can see your reasoning there. Obviously, the argument for Utley is that he's pretty close offensively AND gives you great defense at a position that is more valuable defensively. If anything, you're the one speaking marginally (comparing Tex's defense to the awful standard at the position). Although, I do think a good 1B has more of an effect that many people give.

Yeah, I think if you look at marginal improvement over the positional average, Utley is probably the best player in baseball. Maybe I'll sit around on one of these days off and try to research it a bit more and provide more concrete reasoning behind my brilliant hypothesis.

Pure hitdafukouttadaball I'll take Pujols then Tex then the rest of the pack.

vas_a_morir said:
Damn... MLB network? I wish I had that. I would never turn the channel. Netflix and baseball. Fuck it. And Maison Ikkoku. And so forth.
Evidence just keeps piling up, man. Go back to your old avi. Or at least pick a Cincy avi or something.

Anything but that green crap. If I was green I would die.

eznark

Banned
Here ya go Vas, use this

baker1109.jpg

jman2050

The Frankman said:
Evidence just keeps piling up, man. Go back to your old avi. Or at least pick a Cincy avi or something.

Anything but that green crap. If I was green I would die.

What do you have against green, huh? huh?!?!

If I were green I would be greatly offended.

clemenx

Banned
Mets Offer Lowe a 3-Year Deal said:
The Mets have offered the free-agent pitcher Derek Lowe a three-year contract for about $36 million, according to people who have been briefed on the discussions.

As the Mets try to add another starter, they have concentrated on Lowe, 35, as their No. 1 option over Oliver Pérez. Lowe was 14-11 with a 3.24 earned run average for the Los Angeles Dodgers last season.

Interestingly, both Lowe and Pérez, who pitched for the Mets last season, are represented by Scott Boras. General Manager Omar Minaya has been engaged in discussions with Boras about Lowe. The Mets are not willing to offer Lowe more than a three-year deal.

Boras would not comment specifically on the Mets, but said, “Obviously, we’ve taken offers from a number of teams.” Boras said he was still in the process of establishing Lowe’s market. Lowe is believed to be seeking a five-year, $90 million deal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/31/sports/baseball/31mets.html?_r=1&ref=sports

About fucking time.
Let's hope he accepts quickly and nobody offers him the Boras rumored price, that contract seems a bit to low.

Also, i don't know if i should ask this in here, but anyone with skillz in Paint could you put a Mets cap in Mr.Milky? :D please?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think I would rather have let Burnett go to Atlanta and get into a bidding war with the Mets over lowe.

LJ11

5 years, $90m...keep dreaming.

I'll be happy with that deal, but I've a feeling Lowe is going to break down on us.

On an unrelated note, Chargers and Vikings are having a tough time selling out their playoff games. LT, Rivers, Gates, Manning & Co, AP, McNabb, Westbrook, can't sell out a playoff game? Tough sledding for all.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I still have no idea why Wren is not interested in Lowe. He is a much better option than burnett.

clemenx

Banned
jakncoke said:
Didn't Pirates pass on him because he was a Boras client? :lol
I know the Pirates are probably the most retarded front office in the majors, but seeing the troubles they had signing that Dominican kid that is a Boras client that doesn't seem that crazy. :lol

well, I must wait til baseball season for my "Tigerbeat Brucey" avatar. But, that one's my favorite.

And fuck the haters. Green box rox. I can find my posts really easy. That's seriously the reason I use it. I had an orange box for the Orange Box... then changed it to green for College Football season, and kept it. Oh, and I had a light blue color when I went "Pastel for Pascal" when Columbus Blue Jackets Goalie Pascal Leclaire was on le tear.

vas_a_morir said:
well, I must wait til baseball season for my "Tigerbeat Brucey" avatar. But, that one's my favorite.

And fuck the haters. Green box rox. I can find my posts really easy. That's seriously the reason I use it. I had an orange box for the Orange Box... then changed it to green for College Football season, and kept it. Oh, and I had a light blue color when I went "Pastel for Pascal" when Columbus Blue Jackets Goalie Pascal Leclaire was on le tear.
Go back to the Rumiko Takahashi avis again! Start using InuYasha avis!

It would be perfect considering you ballpark benefits greatly from a wind tunnel. :D

eznark

Banned
jakncoke said:
Didn't Pirates pass on him because he was a Boras client? :lol

They passed on him because he and Boras made it clear that he was not going to sign with KC, TB or Pittsburgh (the other teams that passed on him). The Cubs were his first pick but they took Josh Vitters. The Orioles had to pony up for him, and when they did pick him I remember people wondering if they'd be able to bring him in. The MLB draft is pretty fucked up that way. You can just get the word out that you are "unsignable" to certain clubs and pick where you don't want to go. It's bullshit.

The kid was incredible at Georgia Tech. Power, on-base and an excellent arm behind the plate. I had such a fucking boner for Weiter in that 07 draft.

Sanjuro

LJ11 said:
5 years, $90m...keep dreaming.

I'll be happy with that deal, but I've a feeling Lowe is going to break down on us.
If Burnett with his health history can get 5 years $83m, there is no reason Lowe with his great track record of health should not be able to receive that amount.

The Frankman said:
Go back to the Rumiko Takahashi avis again! Start using InuYasha avis!

It would be perfect considering you ballpark benefits greatly from a wind tunnel. :D

...okay, that one was pretty good. To be fair, when you watch Inuyasha, you feel like you just watched a sub-.500 team play baseball.

2colu9v.jpg

firex

funnel cakes are pretty awesome, but I wanted to make a Graeter's reference every time Corderblow gets an actual save this year.

maybe we can do both so that way it'll either be twice as annoying as "Billy is $" or half as annoying.
I would say twice as awesome, but 2x0 is still 0!

firex said:
funnel cakes are pretty awesome, but I wanted to make a Graeter's reference every time Corderblow gets an actual save this year.

maybe we can do both so that way it'll either be twice as annoying as "Billy is $" or half as annoying.
I would say twice as awesome, but 2x0 is still 0!

Well, as you recall, Funnelcakez is a reward for getting a save. Last year, I occasionally used "appul dipperz" to indicate Cordero did something bad, and thus had to eat a healthy snack, which he would not enjoy as a fat man.

I'm on a diet, otherwise, I would find a way to get some fucking funnel cakes right now. It's that mentality that allows you to understand how I got into this predicament in the first place.

RBH

Angels, Fuentes agree to deal
Updated: December 31, 2008, 1:44 PM ET

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Angels might have found their new closer.

The Angels and left-hander Brian Fuentes agreed to a two-year, $17.5 million contract. The contract includes a club option for the 2011 season.

Fuentes will $8.5 million for 2009 and $9 million for 2010, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney. The contract includes a $9 million vesting option for 2011, based on games finished.

Fuentes, 33, saved 30 games for the Colorado Rockies last season with a 2.73 ERA in 62 2/3 innings.

Francisco Rodriguez, the Angels' closer last season who saved a major league-record 62 games, signed a three-year, $37 million contract earlier this month with the New York Mets.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3802316

DeRosa headed to Indians
Updated: December 31, 2008, 1:41 PM ET

CLEVELAND -- Mark DeRosa, who had been rumored to be a part of three- and four-team scenarios in the Jake Peavy trade talks is finally headed out of Chicago -- but not in a deal for the San Diego Padres' ace.

DeRosa has been traded to the Cleveland Indians for three players.

The Indians sent minor league pitchers Jeff Stevens, Chris Archer and John Caub to Chicago in the trade.

The 33-year-old DeRosa may slide into Cleveland's opening at third base.

DeRosa hit 21 home runs and drove in 87 runs for the Cubs last season, appearing in 149 games at a variety of positions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3802342

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- A greyhound racing track and a former landfill are among seven suggested sites for a new Tampa Bay Rays ballpark.

Each possible location is on the St. Petersburg side of the Tampa Bay. The current Tropicana Field area made the list, as did Progress Energy Park, a downtown spring-training stadium the team had hoped to develop into a major league stadium.

The new park is considered key to the long-term success of the Rays, who just made a shocking World Series run but have struggled drawing fans.

Other sites included an industrial park, a sod farm and a golf course near the St. Petersburg/Clearwater International Airport.
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=502207

Former landfill huh? That would almost be poetic.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Stupid motherfucking Cubs trade their most valuable player for a bunch of scrubs. Then they sign a fucking little bitch like Miles to replace him?

Mrbob

Derosa gone. :(

Miles is a left hander though, and the cubs need a left hander who can get on base since fukudome can't get the job done.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Mrbob said:
Derosa gone. :(

Miles is a left hander though, and the cubs need a left hander who can get on base since fukudome can't get the job done.

IF they want a lefty in the line up they ought to be looking to get rid of Lee while he still has some value and put Micah Hoffpauir in at first.

Mrbob said:
Yeah, but now you have Dusty Baker.

I hope it was worth it.

Hey, you got our sloppy seconds, too. Both were coaching back at the last bit of measurable success we've had in the playoffs in the last 20 years.

eznark

Banned
Miles isn't that big of a downgrade from DeRosa, especially if he gets on base like he did last year, wasn't it something ridiculous like .352?

What's with the Steelers shit? Is that who we're rooting for?

eznark said:
Miles isn't that big of a downgrade from DeRosa, especially if he gets on base like he did last year, wasn't it something ridiculous like .352?

What's with the Steelers shit? Is that who we're rooting for?

Hell no. Go to the NFL thread. Witness that bullshit for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom