• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008-2009 MLB Offseason Thread of Billy Beane mocking Qwerty for 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dammit. You guys are going to be talking about sweet MLB channel shit all year, and I won't have anything to talk about... kinda like non-Yankee fans during the off-season.

Zep

Banned
PS3GamerKyle said:
Why doesn't Verizon offer MLB TV in HD?

Does Comcast offer that?

I know with Verizon all HD channels begin with 5, then the SD channel number. Did he give that a shot?

eznark

Banned
Y2Kev said:
brewers owner lover!!

Dude single handedly brought baseball back to Milwaukee. He could rape my mom and I'd still love the guy. Sorry mom.

Does MLBN have an online presence at all? And did you guys know that the national pass time is now full time?

Looking at the schedule online:
9:30 PM Red Sox Memories Part 1 A Five Part Series Looking Back at the Greatest Players, Teams and Moments from Red Sox History
5 parts? FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

jman2050

I got OOTP 9 during the holiday sale, and it seems like they finally nailed the interface issues that killed my interest in version 7. I'm liking it a lot.

I still want us to do a GAF 16-team league. You don't even have to own the game!

Zep

Banned
Chipper on the Mets acquiring relievers Francisco Rodriguez and J.J. Putz:

The rich get richer. It's becoming more and more apparent that the bigger markets are crushing the smaller markets with these signings. From a Mets standpoint, they've had a running feud with the Phillies the past couple of years. It's kind of weird not to be in it.

We won for 14 consecutive years, and you never, ever saw any bulletin board material. And now that these two teams are on top of the division, they can't keep their mouths shut. Just go play baseball. It's Cole Hamels now. It was Jimmy Rollins and Carlos Beltran the past couple of springs. These two teams are constantly going at each other verbally. You know, win with class, lose with class. Just keep your mouth shut and go play your game.

I think that the Mets have something to prove after the past couple of years, having lost big leads in September. I think their bullpen was a big part of that, especially last year, so it was imperative that they go out and make a splash with their bullpen. And they certainly did.

The Mets picked up the two best closers in the American League West for their bullpen, and they're basically making it a seven-inning game. You'd better be winning the game after seven innings. If you're not, you're pretty much done.

Chipper on the Braves pulling out of the Jake Peavy trade talks:

If Jake wanted to play in Atlanta, Jake would be in Atlanta. Jake is in control of this whole thing. There was a deal in place, and Jake didn't want to play here. So Jake's not playing here. Jake wanted to play in Chicago, and they tried to make it work. Chicago couldn't get rid of salary it needed to get rid of, and the deal fell through. That's not to say it won't get done later on, but I guess your job as general manager is to go out and get the best deal possible. Certainly, a month ago when Padres G.M. Kevin Towers was fielding offers from four, five, six teams, the best offer on the table was ours.

But Jake didn't want to play here.

I don't know why we were on his wish list, but that's baseball. That's one of the rights that he has with his no-trade clause. I would be hard-pressed to think San Diego is ever going to give out another no-trade clause. This is a prime example why the Atlanta Braves have a strict no-trade-clause policy. They're not going to give any player who comes through here a no-trade clause. I don't care if it's Hank Aaron. I don't care if it's Mickey Mantle.

Chipper on Braves phenom Tommy Hanson:

I'm excited to see him; I've only seen clips of him online. Everybody I've talked to says he is the next big thing. He's 6-6, throws 94-95 mph, he has movement and he has four pitches he can throw for strikes. He went to the Arizona Fall League and just dominated hitters and was MVP of the league.

Everything has been good from what I've seen. Hanson probably has the best stuff of anybody in the organization right now--even at the big league level. If there is one kid in the whole organization who is untouchable in a trade--that was one of the hang-ups in the Peavy deal--it would be this kid. He's as good as advertised. He's going to have a chance to make this club out of spring training. If we don't make a trade for a No. 1 starter, I'd say it's a pretty good bet the kid could be on the opening day roster. He's not going to be starting Game 1, but you'll probably see him the first week of the season.

Chipper on the Yankees' offseason spending:

It's never happened to me personally, but I think anybody who hits the free agent market is going to wait and see what the offer is from the Yankees. Because everybody knows that they're going to inflate the price. Whether they get you or not, they're going to hike the price up.

Scott Boras and some of these other high-profile agents, they'll use New York as a measuring stick. If New York is going to offer 5 percent or 10 percent or 20 percent more than anybody else, why not? They feel they have to offer a New York-style signing bonus on top of what a player is actually worth to the rest of the league just to get them to come play in New York.

Ten or 15 years ago, we could lure people to Atlanta strictly on reputation. You knew we were going to win, and we had a bunch of good players. Players would shun money from New York and take less to come here. For the past three seasons, we've kind of been on the downslide and not making the playoffs, so you can't do that anymore. We can't compete monetarily, so the only way we're going to get players in here to play and win is to force them--and that's done by trading.

The downside to trading is that it weakens your minor league system. But the only way that we are going to win now is through trades. We just don't have enough money to compete with the New York, Los Angeles and Chicago teams.

LOL...I kinda agree with the shit talking back and forth but hes forgetting we're world fucking champs.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
15 years ago players would shun money from new york

what waaas the ny payrolllll 15 yearssss agooo let's seeee

Code:
David Cone	$ 8,000,000
Ruben Sierra	$ 6,200,000
Jack McDowell	$ 5,400,000
Danny Tartabull	$ 5,300,000
Jimmy Key	$ 4,873,700
Wade Boggs	$ 4,724,316
Don Mattingly	$ 4,420,000
Melido Perez	$ 3,450,000
John Wetteland	$ 3,375,000
Paul O'Neill	$ 2,850,000
Steve Howe	$ 2,300,000
Tony Fernandez	$ 1,633,335
Luis Polonia	$ 1,500,000
Jim Leyritz	$ 1,350,000
Scott Kamieniecki	$ 1,100,000
Pat Kelly	$ 1,085,000
Mike Stanley	$ 912,500
Darryl Strawberry	$ 675,000
Scott Bankhead	$ 500,000
Randy Velarde	$ 500,000
Bernie Williams	$ 400,000
Dion James	$ 350,000
Kevin Elster	$ 300,000
Bob MacDonald	$ 260,000
Bob Wickman	$ 220,000
Rick Honeycutt	$ 200,000
Josias Manzanillo	$ 175,000
Sterling Hitchcock	$ 125,000
Gerald Williams	$ 125,000
Dave Silvestri	$ 116,000
Joe Ausanio	$ 110,000
Brian Boehringer	$ 109,000
Russ Davis	$ 109,000
Dave Pavlas	$ 109,000
Andy Pettitte	$ 109,000
Mariano Rivera	$ 109,000

$63,074,851

The braves had the advantage of having one of the best scouting and development systems in the league for the past 10 years. Can anyone pull up MAJOR BRAVES FREE AGENT SIGNINGS say from 2000-2005?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Greg Maddux signed for alot less to come to Atlanta than play in NY. And I think 63 million was one of the highest payrolls back then, I think the Braves were right up there with the Yankees though. We couldn't sign anybody 2000-2005 because Time Warner kept cutting the payroll back. We are finally getting a little bit more cash now with a new owner and big contracts coming off the books...although we can't get anyone to take it from us.

And I have heard simliar reports about Peavy not wanting to come to Atlanta. I can understand why, Cubs have a better chance of winning. I thought back in the late 90s the Mets and Braves trash talked a bit, /shrug. But I guess nothing on the level of Cole Hamels stuff. But yeah World Champs kinda gives a right to act all cocky though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Windu said:
Greg Maddux signed for alot less to come to Atlanta than play in NY. And I think 63 million was one of the highest payrolls back then, I think the Braves were right up there with the Yankees though. We couldn't sign anybody 2000-2005 because Time Warner kept cutting the payroll back. We are finally getting a little bit more cash now with a new owner and big contracts coming off the books...although we can't get anyone to take it from us.

And I have heard simliar reports about Peavy not wanting to come to Atlanta. I can understand why, Cubs have a better chance of winning. I thought back in the late 90s the Mets and Braves trash talked a bit, /shrug. But I guess nothing on the level of Cole Hamels stuff. But yeah World Champs kinda gives a right to act all cocky though.
My only point with the 2000-2005 was that Chipper pretends like Atlanta's difficulty signing players coincides with their "downslump." I just don't think it's true. Atlanta has always had a tough time doing it, which is part of the reason they had such superb player development.

Overlee

Looks like the Dodgers reworked Andruw Jones' contract to defer 12 million to his 2010 buyout, making his 2009 salary about 5 mil or so. They really want to move him.

The Manny to San Fran talk just sounds like Scott Boras trying to get LA to bid against themselves. They already have four OF and its not like anyone is going to take Dave Roberts or Randy Winn off their hands.

Core407

Banned
Windu said:

The Yankees offered him 50 million more than Atlanta

We won for 14 consecutive years, and you never, ever saw any bulletin board material. And now that Philly can't keep their mouth shut. Just go play baseball. It's Cole Hamels now. It was Jimmy Rollins and Carlos Beltran the past couple of springs. Philadelphia constantly talks trash at the Mets. You know, win with class, lose with class. Just keep your mouth shut and go play your game.
Fixed.

Wickerman

The Frankman said:

Thank you.

I really don't know where the "the Mets can't keep their mouths shut" stuff is coming from.
Aside from Carlos Beltran last spring, I have not heard a Met say anything about the Phillies.

Delgado never said anything, Reyes never said anything, Wright never said anything, Alou, Church, Castillo, Schneider, etc, etc. The only people opening their traps were the Phillies players.

LJ11

Carlos was asked a question, and he answered it, "We're the team to beat." If he answered differently, or backed off, the media would've spun it the other way.

LJ11 said:
Carlos was asked a question, and he answered it, "We're the team to beat." If he answered differently, or backed off, the media would've spun it the other way.
That justifies the Phillies running their mouth weekly about the Mets? If he didn't say that I'd killl him! EVERY team thinks they're the team to beat in April.

AND LJ11 no disrespect but that comment makes me think you don't know the NY media. They would've spun it that "Mets Back Down to Brash Phillies" and said Delgado by not standing up for his team had no balls.

LJ11

The Frankman said:
That justifies the Phillies running their mouth weekly about the Mets? If he didn't say that I'd killl him! EVERY team thinks they're the team to beat in April.

Of course not, I never said it did. Carlos answered appropriately.

Phillies can say whatever they want right now, we'll see them in May.

AND LJ11 no disrespect but that comment makes me think you don't know the NY media. They would've spun it that "Mets Back Down to Brash Phillies" and said Delgado by not standing up for his team had no balls

That's what I meant, when I said the media would have spun it the other way.

Edit: Did my OP make sense to anyone else, or is Frank just overly defensive? I agree with you more often than not, Frank.

Zep

Banned
No, Frank is just acting like a whiny bitch. Mets players don't need to say anything, its all in their actions. That shit speaks 10x more volumes than any shit talking we do. And Remember, teams hate(d) the Mets the most...And you loved it. Don't back down like a pussy now.

Face it, we won...Shit talking you guys is no big deal. You act like Cole said this before we won the World fuckin Championship.

:)

Remember, a lot of NY papers actually applauded Rollins' comments and said the Mets had no fight to respond. I took "spun it the other way" like you were saying all the papers would jump on Rollins. I even remember Fatscesa talking about it saying Rollins is a sparkplug and (or course) crapping on the Mets. And that was Spring Training 2007!
Zep said:
No, Frank is just acting like a whiny bitch. Mets players don't need to say anything, its all in their actions. That shit speaks 10x more volumes than any shit talking we do. And Remember, teams hate(d) the Mets the most...And you loved it. Don't back down like a pussy now.

Face it, we won...Shit talking you guys is no big deal. You act like Cole said this before we won the World fuckin Championship.

:)
Who are you again? Go back to being Mrbob sans championship like you used to be. Seriously, I cared not a damn about the Phillies until you and Rollins started opening your trap. My God, it's like everyone in Philadelphia has to try so hard to prove they're worth a damn to everybody else... Iggles fans, Flyer fans, and Philly fans.

Zep

Banned
Haha, I got you steamin...Look at you. Anger coming right through. I don't know man, I think I might make you have a mental breakdown if we were ever to meet.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Zep said:
Haha, I got you steamin...Look at you. Anger coming right through. I don't know man, I think I might make you have a mental breakdown if we were ever to meet.
This is probably why so many people get shot and stabbed in Philly.

The citizens seem to enjoy being huge instigators.

If it wasn't for the Mets, 20 years from now, no one (other than Philly fans) would even remember who won the WS in 2008. Seriously, no one cares at all.

Zep

Banned
Link said:
This is probably why so many people get shot and stabbed in Philly.

The citizens seem to enjoy being huge instigators.

All I'm saying is, he's getting mad at the smallest shit. I'm afraid the littlest shit talk would put his ass over the edge.

I mean, its shit talking...That's it. There have been no fights, just shit talking. Small verbal jabs and he's getting so easily pissed at this stuff. I test this guy time and time again and he bites hook, line and sinker. And comes with the same "frontrunner" material on top of that. I just don't know man..

Zep said:
All I'm saying is, he's getting mad at the smallest shit. I'm afraid the littlest shit talk would put his ass over the edge.

I mean, its shit talking...That's it. There have been no fights, just shit talking. Small verbal jabs and he's getting so easily pissed at this stuff. I test this guy time and time again and he bites hook, line and sinker. And comes with the same "frontrunner" material on top of that. I just don't know man..
I'm mad? I'm not mad, it's truth hurts. Nothing I said is anything revolutionary. Phillies can't stop talking about the Mets, I hardly talked anything Philly related until you/Rollins (or most Phillies) started running the gums. Does posting the truth mean I'm full of rageahol? If you say so...

Bottom line, I'm the exact same poster I've been since I started posting here. Even keeled, sometimes too optimistic. I will defend my team win/lose/draw but will point out faults if I think they exist. I can be blindly loyal to players, and it's nothing new. But I also don't talk shit unless it's warranted and I hate, Hate, HATE hypocrisy and blind homerism (especially in announcers which is why the Mets 3-man booth = Excellent). I'm past getting mad at the Phils/your tired antics because I realize the only way to get it to stop is for someone to come along and beat it out of them. Truth.

Zep

Banned
The Frankman said:
because I realize the only way to get it to stop is for someone to come along and beat it out of them. Truth.

Bingo.

For the 10th time(between us) ...this argument is over.

Zep

Banned
MLB Network tomorrow..Starting at 10am.

Phils-Dodgers game 5
Red Sox - Rays game 7
Phils -Rays game 1

Then Minaya will be on Hot Stove @ 7...

And for the nightcap, Phils-Rays game 2 :D

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I predict that next season, Carlos Gomez will prove to have one of the best eyes at the plate, walking 45 times, striking out 15, batting .350, stealing 60 bases, and driving in 95 runs

what?

:p

eznark

Banned
Kuroyume said:
Awesome new PS3 wallpaper. :)

Holy shit that is really cool.

(Now someone make me one with the Brewers Barrelman logo!)

BarrelMan2007.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom