• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Euro 2008 Thread - No England, but still plenty of English

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzurri

Congrats Spain; coming from an Italian fan. Too bad David Villa didn't play.

Italy was still the only team to play Spain the best.

scarybore

Congrats to the Spanish, I didn't think they played as good as some have said in their past games but they played great today, totally outclassed the Germans and they really should have scored more. Germany were dismal, they need to gut their defence as Torres was ripping them a new one.

Excellent tournament overall with some great football.

FFChris

Good win, I wish Senna got that goal near the end. That guy has played really well all tournament, and hasn't got nearly enough credit for it.

Feel bad for Germany, as I backed them from the start, but they didn't deserve to win it tonight. Too much sloppy football.

Edit: Ballack must be footballs biggest ever loser.

Crovax33

Jacobi said:
Why? Do they get a bonus for winning?
No, I just feel bad for him. I really wanted to see him get this final. However, knowing him he will participate in another one.

Podolski is smiling. He is young.

It seems like Platini told Ballack "you will get another chance".

Congrats Spain! Well deserved win.

Germany played without heart today, very untypical. It's ok to loose and even make so many mistakes if you at least give everything but its not ok to play like afraid like little girls.

LRB1983

Banned
10elsog.jpg

Torres MVP!
Great match for Xavi :) imho the best of the final.
skvsx5.jpg

Finally! ^^

elseanio

Had a tenner (@33-1) on Torres first, in a 2-0 win. How did Spain not score a fucking second??

Made up for all the Liverpool lads, especially Torres. Brilliant winning goal!

Lakitu

st5fu
PirateSean said:
Had a tenner (@33-1) on Torres first, in a 2-0 win. How did Spain not score a fucking second??

Made up for all the Liverpool lads, especially Torres. Brilliant winning goal!

Hell yeah, was so good seeing em happy and going mad, congrats Spain!

Nice goal from Torres. Senna has been fucking brilliant this tournament too.

Haunted

Man...
2002: 2nd place
2006: 3rd place
2008: 2nd place

We're consistently among the top teams, but it's not enough to win it all. ;_;

Congrats Spain. The better team won today.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Dre said:
Yeah sure, it's always the referees fault ... who cares if Spain actually deserved it.

To be fair, there was an obvious hand ball by Spain that should have given Germans a Penalty kick. Honest mistake by the ref, but if he had seen it the game might have been a lot more awesome.

Kapsama

John Dunbar said:
To be fair, there was an obvious hand ball by Spain that should have given Germans a Penalty kick. Honest mistake by the ref, but if he had seen it the game might have been a lot more awesome.
Coulda woulda shoulda. Spain missed many opportunities as well.

Dre

John Dunbar said:

Nope, Sergio Ramos did not touched the ball with his hand/arm, even the german TV commentator was of the same opinion.

But I have to admit that Rosetti maybe oversaw Silvas headbutt and Lehmanns handball.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Kapsama said:
Coulda woulda shoulda. Spain missed many opportunities as well.

We're talking about referee mistakes here. Player missing a chance =/= a deserved penalty not given.

Dre said:
Nope, Sergio Ramos did not touched the ball with his hand/arm, even the german TV commentator was of the same opinion.

But I have to admit that Rosetti maybe oversaw Silvas headbutt and Lehmanns handball.

I don't remember the player, but before Spain scored some Spanish player played the ball with their hand in the penalty box. It was clear as day from the replay.

I'm not blaming the referee for not seeing it, but it was a penalty.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
John Dunbar said:

It wasn't hand, you could see it in slowmotion. But he missed the hand Lehmanns did outside of his zone.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Kapsama said:
It seems god does listen to me. :D

It's called Occams Razor. You just got lucky therefore rationalizing spains win as a god answered prayer.

samratty

Congrats to Spain! Deserved victory, both the game and the tournament as a whole.
Football also wins, great style of play and imaginitive passing.

maxmars

Saw the match at my parents' house.. Good match Spain, congrats! The most and best offensive actions. Hail the champions!

Now where is to be played next world cup? :)

EDIT: Haunted, who is this incredible young lady above my post? Is it a friend of yours by chance? :D

Fireblend

Banned
So Spain won for once :lol I remember last time, they played so well and were so close... I was starting to think they were cursed. But anyway, congrats :D

CassSept

Very well deserved win. In first minutes Germany was a bit better, but after that Spain got back and totally controlled the match. Very nice match from them, and looking at whole tournament they trully deserved it.
And finally, after 44 years:D

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
maxmars said:
Now where is to be played next world cup? :)
South Africa, 2010

I must say, as we close up shop on this here Euro Championship, that this has been perhaps the best overall tournament that I can remember. Granted, I didn't really start watching the sport at all until the '94 World Cup, but that's still a good long while now. Exciting play, brilliant goals, a bounty of nailbiters and heartbreakers, twists and turns and surprises, history rewritten, and everything else you could want. There were very very very few days during the month where games were played and you DIDN'T see something amazing or exciting. A pretty stark contrast with the last World Cup which, aside from a few intriguing storylines, was fairly standard and by the numbers I would say.

Just a really fun month. It'll be a long two years wait until the World Cup now. Club football is all well and good, but nothing beats these grand international tournaments, if you ask me.

Haunted

MetatronM said:
South Africa, 2010

I must say, as we close up shop on this here Euro Championship, that this has been perhaps the best overall tournament that I can remember. Granted, I didn't really start watching the sport at all until the '94 World Cup, but that's still a good long while now. Exciting play, brilliant goals, a bounty of nailbiters and heartbreakers, twists and turns and surprises, history rewritten, and everything else you could want. There were very very very few days during the month where games were played and you DIDN'T see something amazing or exciting. A pretty stark contrast with the last World Cup which, aside from a few intriguing storylines, was fairly standard and by the numbers I would say.

Just a really fun month. It'll be a long two years wait until the World Cup now. Club football is all well and good, but nothing beats these grand international tournaments, if you ask me.
Well said.

maxmars said:
EDIT: Haunted, who is this incredible young lady above my post? Is it a friend of yours by chance? :D
:D no. But I saw the game with my gf, who is quite the charming company when watching football - rooting and cheering with enthusiasm even though she has little idea of what's going on on the pitch. >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom