• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Euro 2008 Thread - No England, but still plenty of English

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_B

John Dunbar said:
I don't remember the player, but before Spain scored some Spanish player played the ball with their hand in the penalty box. It was clear as day from the replay.
That was in no way a penalty kick. It was not deliberate, his arm was not in an unnatural position and it did not go towards the ball. It was not even a deflection of a shot but rather the ball jumped when he tried to intercept it, and at the time all the german players were in defensive positions.

That would have been the lamest and most incorrect penalty ever.

I was on celebration so I'm late but:

FUCK YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

FINALLY!!!! CHAMPIONSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!!

I will remember this day all my life!!!1

final.jpg

World Cup 2010 here we go!!!

dk_

Congrats Spain, you deserved it!

The German defense was a total joke, so we had no real chance of winning this.

sneaky77

The last 20 mins of that game were the longest 20 mins of my life... good god... finally, victory.. the team that played the best all tournament long ended up winning.
Germany started off well, but didn't create many chances. Finally Torres gets all his hard work rewarded.

1214767789_extras_albumes_0.jpg

Anth

I would have preferred the final to be a bit closer, but overall, the tournament was incredible. By far the best I can remember, with relatively few dull matches and many twists and suprises.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Egads, my entire body aches.

I was watching the game with my friends and there were a couple of Frenchs cheering for Spain with more passion than any of us, it was hilarious :lol Still, I'm a bit sad about the roughness in the final part. But hey, a victory is a victory.
Tieno said:
Spain is a good European Champion, good and attractive football. Though they wasted a lot of opportunities in this match.
Spain was waaay too concerned trying to make it pretty IMO. The Germans were lucky they didn't walk away with two more goals.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I never cry, yet I found myself teary eyed at the end of the game. This was our destiny, I just thank God for allowing me to witness this that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. I only wish I was back in Spain tonight. Today Spain shines in all her glory for the world to see. Que viva la patria!

jepense

Congratulations to Spain! A deserved win (about time, too) although the Germans weren't bad either.

Aaaand, I believe I won the NeoGaf pick'em league. Congratulations to me! :D
euro.png

It's been a great tournament and a mostly great thread. Thank you for sharing!

Hive

Banned
Can any of the Spanish fans give me the 101 on the player Xavis? He seems like an excellent ball-handler and made a TON of great kicks/passes/crosses in the final! I'm a fan of Spain for sure now, and i'll be pulling for them in the '10 World Cup~ A lot of the Spanish players seem very likable and play their guts out without fear.

Germany was hot/cold it seems during the tourney, and it's too bad they have been involved in so many runner-ups with all the skill players they have.

This tournament was about as fun as the 2002 World Cup, which was the most fun I've had watching sports in all my life.

sneaky77 said:
The last 20 mins of that game were the longest 20 mins of my life... good god... finally, victory.. the team that played the best all tournament long ended up winning.
Germany started off well, but didn't create many chances. Finally Torres gets all his hard work rewarded.

1214767789_extras_albumes_0.jpg

he just replaced Francesso Totti as my new favourite player, this guy got some acceleration.

Vard

It's so great that Torres got the sole goal of the final. He was struggling throughout the tournament and really pulled through when it mattered most. Nicely done, #9.

MetatronM said:
South Africa, 2010

I must say, as we close up shop on this here Euro Championship, that this has been perhaps the best overall tournament that I can remember. Granted, I didn't really start watching the sport at all until the '94 World Cup, but that's still a good long while now. Exciting play, brilliant goals, a bounty of nailbiters and heartbreakers, twists and turns and surprises, history rewritten, and everything else you could want. There were very very very few days during the month where games were played and you DIDN'T see something amazing or exciting. A pretty stark contrast with the last World Cup which, aside from a few intriguing storylines, was fairly standard and by the numbers I would say.

Just a really fun month. It'll be a long two years wait until the World Cup now. Club football is all well and good, but nothing beats these grand international tournaments, if you ask me.

Totally agree.

Maverick

Great tournament. Good final.

I was very impressed with Marco Senna throughout the tournament, and especially in the final. He did all the little things (off-the-ball too).

He would be a great pickup for any of the Top 4 English clubs, especially Arsenal or Chelsea.

I watched the final at 2:45 am in Hong Kong at a German bar. They took it better than expected - only saw 2 or 3 guys crying. :lol

Oh, and any explanation as to why Lahm was taken off in the 2nd half?? I know he was in the area for the Torres goal, but he provided all the pace and spark on the wing.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Dre said:
Aww shoot ... poor Belgium. -_-

It's a better group (footballwise) than the Dutch are having:
Netherlands
Scotland
Norway
Macedonia FYR
Iceland

Don't want to get cocky, but there's no way in hell I'm staying home for Netherlands - Scotland.

kottila

neorej said:
It's a better group (footballwise) than the Dutch are having:
Netherlands
Scotland
Norway
Macedonia FYR
Iceland

Don't want to get cocky, but there's no way in hell I'm staying home for Netherlands - Scotland.

Remember the last time Netherlands played Norway in a WC qualifyer. Beat you 2-1 in Norway and 0-0 in Rotterdam...We can do it again.

Haunted

Xavi MVP of the tournament? I called it.

travisbickle said:
Wow a hot German student chick just walked into my office. I'm now gutted Germany didn't win.
You can gently console her. It's pretty much what I did all day today. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom