• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Madden Season 2 Thread: I'm a Grabowski!

SickBoy

GG both, Hooray for byes!

Welly: You got screwed with the early Eli injury, and I think it should have been a tighter game than the score... Gates only caught 2, though :) I was happy to see Shockey's role be nice and minor. The Plaxico fumble was my first hit-stick success all year. Came at a nice time.

I was happy with the game I played, but it could have just as easily been 21-21 through 4. In fact, these are the first two games in a while where I've felt like I've done a good job of sticking to plan.

Wasabi: Sorry about that late kick-catch interference call, but I actually was making a play for a fair catch (I'd rather get the ball at the 10 than risk it out at the 2 at that stage in the game). Your offense is solid... had some trouble adapting to it.

Re: the false start thing, it's apparently the big shortcoming of fair play. Maybe you can't no huddle outside 2? I don't like that, but I do like the control fair play imposes on people for 4th down.

DMczaf

Wellington said:
GG Sickboy but I've never seen so much good luck for my opponent in a single game.

First passing play of the game, Eli injured.

First completion of the game, Plaxico fumbles giving the ball up.

2nd and 9 at 10 to go to the TD, Michael Strahan, future hall of famer, the man who I am controlling, encroaches on a fake snap even with my finger off the analog stick (Sickboy was trying to lure me off all game). Subsequent play is a TD.

Sickboy punts, hits at the 1 inch line, at a 92 degree angle out of bounds, so I get the ball at the 1.

I'm in the redzone, Burress wide open for a TD, Donnie Edwards jumps and looks literally like this --> ) I didn't know humans could bend like that.

Drops? 4 total. Just because the starting QB is gone, the receivers play worse?

I double team Gates almost all game and he's still wide open to make the crucial catches. I have a CB in perfect position to deflect a long pass, goes through his hands.

Anytime I tried the no huddle, my guys false started.

3rd and goal to go at the 2, I audible, my guys set with about 3 secs left, snap doesn't go off, 3rd and 7, leading to I believe the above mentioned int.

I don't think I called a bad game. As such, Sickboy, you better make the superbowl because I want a piece of you without the deck stacked against me.

Pfft, Sickboy beat me with an 80 yard TD pass with like 4 secs left in the game. Nothing tops that...wait, something does top that. Having FMT get a fumble return TD AFTER I INT his pass.... :|

Rorschach

:lol I hate some players for that...I dive tackle or swarm tackle alexander, bell, gates, etc and just slide off. No, not bounce off, SLIDE off. That's not even physically possible! How can you slide in mid air?! It only happens occasionally, but it's retarded.

DMczaf said:
Pfft, Sickboy beat me with an 80 yard TD pass with like 4 secs left in the game. Nothing tops that...wait, something does top that. Having FMT get a fumble return TD AFTER I INT his pass.... :|

Wow...you really are the Raiders East. INT -> Fumble -> TD -> Win ><
Welcome to my world. I used to not want to get INTs when it was close to their goal line or I would just dive especially if Asomugha got it.

Miguel

Wellington said:
Sickboy punts, hits at the 1 inch line, at a 92 degree angle out of bounds, so I get the ball at the 1.

Since you left IRC, I guess going home.... here's my explanation.

Code:
<MiG->             \  |
<MiG->        88` ( \ |
<MiG-> o------------- |
<MiG->            |  |
<MiG->            |  [B]1inch
[/B]<MiG->            |
<MiG->            [B]1 yard[/B]
<MiG-> looks closer to 88 than 92 to me!
<MiG-> :P
<MiG-> unless i read your explanation wrong

Now I either misintepreted what you said, or you're using some George Bush-esque math here. :p

SickBoy

Heh. That's quite the diagram. As it stands, the punt was meant to do that ;)

The play call is punt l slash 88. Check for it in your playbook :)

Seriously, though, I'd say it was the worst bounce I've seen in Madden, but I've seen a lot of strange bounces.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
SickBoy said:
Re: the false start thing, it's apparently the big shortcoming of fair play. Maybe you can't no huddle outside 2? I don't like that, but I do like the control fair play imposes on people for 4th down.
Until it screws you on 4th and inches when you're down by 20.

Sick: Don't worry about it, lol. Such a minor thing, it was just funny how we kept trying to get each other false starts, lol. It was pretty clean, couple of dropped picks on both ends, then the NAIL. Your defense was pretty good, I just hate how I pump fake when I know a blitz is coming, lol.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Well, that's it for me. Gave up 21 points in the final 2 minutes or so. That's fun. Started throwing like midseason form Ben with 3 minutes left in the game. Good times.

Andokuky

Banned
I just knew when I saw the pass coming that Parker would catch it and somehow get the first down, that's the way my luck had went thus far in that game. Luckily Gold picked it off and gave me the lead. Then Cox finally held on to the lobbed pass on the next drive to seal it. Lucky breaks both ways, mine just came at the very end :lol gg

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I am not taking responsibility for that loss. It belongs squarely on one man's shoulders:

00043678.jpg

Overthrew people on crucial third downs (Tiki WIDE open in the flats and he can't hit him [yes friends, I do know that you must allow time for those plays to develop so that the back can turn around and see the ball]).

Underthrew Burress on a pass leading to a Barber int returned for a TD.

Eli Manning 11-31, 2 ints.

The one season where I have a dominating passing game and this happens. :lol I churned out great stats with my backup against sickboy and look at Eli. :(

mind your business! you had your chance to play earlier today buddy, now you have to wait till i get home tonight! and you aren't going to the superbowl. alex won't let it happen. never forget what happened in our only playoff meeting ever.... mmmm

Andokuky

Banned
Ah.. another game against SD, another heaping helping of bullshit.

Turnovers lost this game for me, unfortunately any time I was a millimeter off on a pass with Plummer it was picked off. Meanwhile on two hands I can count the amount of times Brees lobbed up a pass into double or triple coverage only to have my players drop it. After my second drive I knew this game was over. 1st down I have Bell on a sideline route, he catches it, I am about to truck stick the corner trying to tackle me, instead of anything happening I just bounce off of him and instantly run back 4 yards. He had the exact same route and exact same situation on his first scoring drive, a 60 or 70 something yard sideline pass to LT where his truck stick actually registered. Awesome. 2nd and 8, Lelie is wide open in the zone defense, was only an 8 or 9 yard route but that is a first down. Not when he drops the ball though. 3rd and 8 I hit Putzier right in the brwadbasket and he drops it. Amazing. A couple other times Lelie was wide open on a post deep and Plummer overthrew him by about 2 yards and Lelie refused to even TRY to make a catch. I refuse to play another season where manual catching is not allowed. That was atleast 1 sure TD gone because I cannot take control myself to overcome shit programming in the game. And fair play. 4th and 2 on the 40 down 20-3 in the 3rd and I can't go for it. Amazing. I'm not back for season 2, like I said before this game just isn't fun anymore and I don't want to waste weeks again building up for a playoff game where there's no reason in me fucking showing up. Atleast I didn't break a pad though, a game isn't worth getting that angry over DM :lol

Andokuky

Banned
I don't see how it wasn't obvious all the luck was against me. If the dropped INT's on my side compared to Pro Bowl calibur picks left and right for you weren't enough the drops pretty much sealed it. What is really hilarious is the game gave my players zero drops :lol I thought that was great.

You played a gg, good defense as usual but there was no point in me even playing.

Andokuky

Banned
Nah, I won't be changing my mind. I don't know what the problem is with manual catches, people just throw jump balls 75% of the time anyways, it should be fine to just switch to them and try to catch it so long as you don't jetpack. When the player on defense can control his guy and just bump your guy out of the way and run all over him it makes no sense to not allow the offensive guy to get into position as well. Just my two cents though.

you mean season 3? yes you can still be in (unless you were being sarcastic and actually meant season 2, which you already played in)

anyways, every game comes down to luck, just like in real life. ando do you think when you win you are not the beneficiary of "good luck" in some respects? the game isn't out to get you buddy. that is the way the cookie crumbles. sometimes it's just not your game to win, even if you feel like you are the better squad, just like in real life. don't get yourself so worked up over it. say the breaks didn't go my way, good game, case closed.

p.s. sickboy, you name a date and time.

SickBoy

Indeed, I don't know if this thread backs me up or not, but I'm pissed when I lose, but mostly at myself... because while I didn't set such a high goal this year (.500 was the plan, and it will be next season, too), I think when I'm playing my game and thinking straight, I can win. And sometimes there are a lot of breaks.... inopportune fumbles, one big play to end a game, etc., that you don't have a lot of control over. They can lose a game, and it's frustrating. But the one thing I've learned this year is stay true to your game and it'll serve you well.

FMT: I'm game for about 15 min from now if you are. I just had to finish putting together some evil IKEA furniture and get a bite to eat.

EDIT: If you're up for tonight, I'll try to check back a little later (i.e. for around 11 MT).

If not, my schedule is a little annoying for the first three days of the week.. I work until around 1 a.m. and don't get home 'till 1:30. If earlier in the day works, there's an outside chance I can make it before work (between 2 and 3 MT would probably be best, but not on Monday).

SickBoy

WTF.

The clock sat at 11 for an eternity.... so I thought I was OB :\

Nice game, but a shitty way to lose.

EDIT: I even sat and watched it for a couple of moments to see a second tick off and it didn't. I can't believe that... :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Andokuky said:
And fair play. 4th and 2 on the 40 down 20-3 in the 3rd and I can't go for it. Amazing. I'm not back for season 2, like I said before this game just isn't fun anymore and I don't want to waste weeks again building up for a playoff game where there's no reason in me fucking showing up. Atleast I didn't break a pad though, a game isn't worth getting that angry over DM :lol
"Fair" play is not returning, fortunately.

When the player on defense can control his guy and just bump your guy out of the way and run all over him
This, however, doesn't work. Mig loves to go manual on his CBs, and whenever he tries to bump me I get a free completion. :D

SickBoy

Also, I shouldn't have gambled, but I can't believe you stopped me the first time after you raped me all game with your fullback :)

gg sick. can't believe i came back. god that play to caldwell pissed me off. i knew i shouldn't have played zone :(

also, the clock call was questionable. your progress was stopped inbounds but you kind of "rolled" out of bounds. sucky way to lose i agree.

p.s. why didn't you try a return w/ sproles on that last kick off? you had a huge return before. oh and when i stopped you on 3rd and inches, i literally had 11 men blitzing.

SickBoy

FrenchMovieTheme said:
gg sick. can't believe i came back. god that play to caldwell pissed me off. i knew i shouldn't have played zone :(

also, the clock call was questionable. your progress was stopped inbounds but you kind of "rolled" out of bounds. sucky way to lose i agree.

p.s. why didn't you try a return w/ sproles on that last kick off? you had a huge return before. oh and when i stopped you on 3rd and inches, i literally had 11 men blitzing.

Yeah, I brought the house at least once on you... but there's not much you can do. Those are the breaks. Still, I felt hard done by so I called the gamble. Let's just take a look back at this thread and how often I've bitched at myself about going off gameplan. Welcome to off-gameplan world :)

Regarding the time running out, it's not so much the clock call, because I think it was really close and he probably was in bounds ... I watched closely because I was pretty certain it was.... but I swear the game clock actually sat at 11 for at least a full two seconds... so I was fairly unconcerned about time because I thought the clock had stopped. I would have no-huddled otherwise :(

Regarding the return, I'd rather keep the time on the clock than try a return and end up at the 20 with 5 seconds less.

Top Bottom