• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Rottenwatch/Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapiens

So Indy closes his eyes and that saves him from the arc-face-melt?

Dumb ending.

Why are people pretending that the other Indy films were pinnacles of story telling? They were chock full of stupid nonsense, but they were fun. We don't take it seriously.

AniHawk

Sapiens said:

Dumb ending.

How did he know closing his eyes would work?

How come ToD Indy acts like he knows what Raiders Indy did with the swordsman?

How come Indy is poisoned with something that's supposed to kill him instantly, but he lives for another 5-10 minutes through an action scene?

Christopher

Well I was going to go to the movies to see this, but hell no after all of this to be honest I think I'll just go rent the first three from blockbuster.

AniHawk

Christopher said:
Well I was going to go to the movies to see this, but hell no after all of this to be honest I think I'll just go rent the first three from blockbuster.
Go to the movies, don't take it seriously, and have fun. Really, it's what these movies are all about.

Oozer3993

Just a little tidbit: The Crytal Skulls are agreed upon as fakes by the scientific community. The well known ones can be traced back to one man (Eugene Boban) who probably made them, or had them made in Germany and sold in Mexico City in the 1860s.

And did everyone and their mother forget the line "But gold isn't magnetic?" That means the skull isn't magnetic. It has some other power. Therefore you can't apply any of the laws of magnetism to it. It has it's own properties.

DrLazy said:
This is about a nonsense story line. The theme is fine, but
What did the first alien finding even have to do with the rest of the plot? Why was Indy in the trunk? How does Indy on a moving train teleport to a restaurant with the kid? Then he gets a letter written for help (okay?) but the commies actually let it. Then they find some weird prison where the map to this skull is written on the ground. I turns out some now-crazy proffesor made the whole damn trip except at the very end didn't pull out a face to have sand go down? OMG they're all related? It really was lake a parady of indiana jones, like a mediocre National Treasure. The alien theme was okay. Sure some of the action was cheesy. But it was the plot and story that were stupid. Horrible film.

* I'm a little murky on why the Russians wanted the first alien. There are several reasons though. They may have thought they could use its skull to activate the city. Maybe they thought that the alien body would lead them to the city.
* You're really questioning INDIANA JONES' ability to get off a train at the station? And why he was in the trunk? So if you had Indy in custody you'd put him in the back seat? Have you not seen Raiders? The man is very good at taking over a moving car. He was kidnapped because they knew he had knowledge of the alien and thought he knew what the government did with it.
* The Commies didn't know who had the letter, they only knew that Indy was supposed to end up with it. I'm fairly certain that it was the Commies, disguised as the FBI, who ransacked Indy's office at the college, looking for the letter.
* Oxley looked at the skull too much and he went insane. He started repeating the word "return." He thought it meant to return it to where he found it. So that's what he did.

At least that's my take on things.

Cheebs

Christopher said:
you should form your own opinion on it

syllogism

I had very low expectations and managed to mostly be entertained by it. The first 15 or so minutes were pretty abhorrent, but bizarrely it got better once Lebeouf showed up.

Sapiens fyi you appear to be the biggest 'nerd' in this thread.

Sapiens

syllogism said:
I had very low expectations and managed to mostly be entertained by it. The first 15 or so minutes were pretty abhorrent, but bizarrely it got better once Lebeouf showed up.

Sapiens fyi you appear to be the biggest 'nerd' in this thread.

Please. Don't try to be cool.

We're all fucking dorks, including you. The sad thing is that you don't know it.

Again, don't be a man-boob long haired 35 year old loser with no teeth that lives in a shoe. Go see this movie and have fun.

My point was that this isn't a theological or religious argument.

And yes DoctorWho, the crystal skull is a valid part of history and well researched, I'm not disputing that. I'm disputing that the statement that religious figures are as credible and believable as aliens.

People have said "oh well, the religious stuff was just as believable as the stuff in KOTCS", and for most that isn't the case. It has nothing to with religion/atheism/supernaturalists, it has to do with the story being more of a fantasy than the other films.

So for some of the cynical, arms-crossed types, the film will be judged as "not as good". Thus a lot of the muckraking reviews we've seen.

Sapiens said:
So Indy closes his eyes and that saves him from the arc-face-melt
This is a good point that many people fail to realize. Temple of Doom is arguably the worse of the first three, yet people still call it a good movie, and some even think it's the best of the three. I don't see why people have suddenly grown cynical to Indy, but movies that take themselves completely seriously and are full of mistakes are somehow redeemable?

Mifune

Mehmber
Sapiens said:

Dumb ending.

Why are people pretending that the other Indy films were pinnacles of story telling? They were chock full of stupid nonsense, but they were fun. We don't take it seriously.

Why are you confusing bad storytelling with lack of realism? The two have nothing to do with each other. The problem with Crystal Skull wasn't the fact that it was outlandish or unbelievable; it's that it was a semi-interesting story poorly told.

I feel like a great movie could have been made with this premise. Koepp let us down. As did Spielberg and Lucas for going ahead with this script.

I will agree with you Mifune that the movie was a little bit of a letdown and could been made better by some edits and reworking some scenes to help the pacing issues, but I think what most people are saying is that it's doing well so far, it's an Indiana Jones film and most people don't take it as seriously because it's fun.

That being said, a lot of people think that reviewers are being very harsh, comparing it to Phantom Menace, etc. and I really enjoyed it. It was another adventure, good or bad, and we hope to see more soon.

:lol seriously people, we all know Indy movies are completely unbeliavable. No fucking way theres a single human being who thinks a man can do what Indy does in his movies

the problem here (among other stuff I already mentioned 10000 times) is that noone cares about crystal skulls. Noone in the world cares. Yes, perhaps someone does, but come on, them skulls and the Ark and the Grail aren't even in the same playground.

seriously, if they followed Fate of Atlantis storyline, which is still damn superior to this one and a great candidate for an awesome Indy movie, it woulda been a totally different story. And they complicated things with shitty crystal skulls. Nossir, sorry, they're not big enough for Indy

temp

posting on contract only
Sapiens said:
Please. Don't try to be cool.

We're all fucking dorks, including you. The sad thing is that you don't know it.

Again, don't be a man-boob long haired 35 year old loser with no teeth that lives in a shoe. Go see this movie and have fun.
:lol What the fuck is wrong with you? You repeatedly call people that don't like the movie nerds, someone calls you a nerd, and you lash out at him because you somehow infer that he's a nerd and doesn't realize it? How old are you? How much of an annoying douche can you possibly be?

Anasui Kishibe said:
the problem here (among other stuff I already mentioned 10000 times) is that noone cares about crystal skulls. Noone in the world cares. Yes, perhaps someone does, but come on, them skulls and the Ark and the Grail aren't even in the same playground.
I don't think it's about pre-established understanding of the items themselves, though that certainly affects how much you believe that those items actually exist prior to viewing the films. America and Europe is very much steeped in Christian-Judeo mythology through religion. The primary viewing audience happens to be folks that live on these continents. The
alien
element of the skulls is often considered, along with virtually all
alien
-related concepts, to be sci-fi silliness that only fringe crazies believe to be possible. It's not something built into the fabric of their understanding of reality as well because there isn't a billions-strong chunk of the world believing in them through the indoctrination that comes with any sort of religious upbringing or early understanding of Christian-Judeo-focused mythology.

The problem is that the writing is weaker than any of the previous installments and lacks the more skillful understanding of that unique Indy presentation that Lucas, Spielberg, cast, & crew brought to the original trilogy. Even if you knew all there was to know about the Holy Grail, Sankara Stones, Ark of the Covenant, and the Crystal Skull before viewing these films, you'd likely get a better sense of mystery and discovery from previous three Indy installments than from Skull. Even if you knew nothing about them before initial viewing, those films probably still did a better job of making their case for the believability argument about this supernatural element. The original three felt more grounded in reality, even though it's through religion rather than empirical evidence that they feel so much more believable.

The point is that this film could have been about any item to be chased after as long as the way in which the presentation of the ideas was good enough, even in the face of varying preconceived notions about it that might lead some to inherently buy it as more 'realistic' than others. Making people believe, for a short time, in something that isn't actually real is the point of most films, at least functionally. If you're good enough and successful enough in doing so, people are engaged and thrilled. This film just wasn't as good as the others in this way, IMO, though I still put it on par with Temple of Doom.

Fate of Atlantis would probably have faced similar issues if the problem is preexisting general interest in a given subject as a major factor for caring about a given film. I do agree that its story, as told in the game, would have probably been better suited as an Indy film, but there's nothing to stop a story about a crystal skull from being just as good except for how effectively it's sold to the viewer.

If Skull is guilty of failure of anything, it's not the subject matter, but execution.

Cheebs

I really liked Skull, it was a ton of fun and a worthy entry to the series but the guys calling Raiders not something that should be put on a pedastool and is just a fun adventure movie as well are crazy.

Raiders of the Lost Ark was nominated for the fucking BEST PICTURE oscar. That isn't just some silly adventure movie.

Sapiens

temp said:
:lol What the fuck is wrong with you? You repeatedly call people that don't like the movie nerds, someone calls you a nerd, and you lash out at him because you somehow infer that he's a nerd and doesn't realize it? How old are you? How much of an annoying douche can you possibly be?

Hey, temp, it's not my fault you suck at going to the movies. Stop living in your shoe and like what I like. Dig?

Sapiens

Speevy said:
Defending this movie is going to make you very tired.

Tell me about it. I just moved out of my own shoe and that was already exhausting enough.

*Sounds of more man-boobs jiggling as the man-boob-crew keep typing against me and my rightness*

Oozer3993

Mifune said:
I feel like a great movie could have been made with this premise. Koepp let us down. As did Spielberg and Lucas for going ahead with this script.

Koepp just stitched together previous scripts into this one. The main three wanted to make a 4th Indy movie so bad that they eventually gave up trying to find a script that all 3 would like and instead hired Koepp to put together the best pieces from the rejected drafts. This happened shortly after Lucas rejected Frank Darabont's script which apparently Spielberg and Ford like quite a lot. Jeff Nathanson's script was apparently the backbone, as he got a story credit, but there are also pieces from other scripts, in particular Jeb Stuart's Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men From Mars script. Hence where that line in the movie came from. I have no idea how much of Darabont's script made it in as no one has ever said what his entailed other than that it included Marion. Which is a shame since Frank claims that Spielberg called it "the best draft of anything since Raiders of the Lost Ark." And for the record, Shyamalan never even wrote a script.

Oozer3993 said:
Koepp just stitched together previous scripts into this one. The main three wanted to make a 4th Indy movie so bad that they eventually gave up trying to find a script that all 3 would like and instead hired Koepp to put together the best pieces from the rejected drafts. This happened shortly after Lucas rejected Frank Darabont's script which apparently Spielberg and Ford like quite a lot. Jeff Nathanson's script was apparently the backbone, as he got a story credit, but there are also pieces from other scripts, in particular Jeb Stuart's Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men From Mars script. Hence where that line in the movie came from. I have no idea how much of Darabont's script made it in as no one has ever said what his entailed other than that it included Marion. Which is a shame since Frank claims that Spielberg called it "the best draft of anything since Raiders of the Lost Ark." And for the record, Shyamalan never even wrote a script.
Fucking George Lucas.

v0yce

Sapiens said:
Those
aliens
where a religion to the ancient human civilization. Just as valid as Jesus or whatever old loser in a robe most people believe in.

Give it a rest. That's not the way it is in the real world that the rest of us are aware of. Where the majority believe in a god and don't believe in
aliens

Get off the soap box and use some common sense.

Cheebs said:
I really liked Skull, it was a ton of fun and a worthy entry to the series but the guys calling Raiders not something that should be put on a pedastool and is just a fun adventure movie as well are crazy.

Raiders of the Lost Ark was nominated for the fucking BEST PICTURE oscar. That isn't just some silly adventure movie.

Oscars don't mean shit, let's just say Raiders is a splendid movie, adventure fiction at its absolute finest, Oscar worthy if Oscars were worth a shit

MightyHedgehog said:
long post

I agree with everything you just said. I talked about that one problem because I already said that how lack of suspension of disbelief, poorly tied up plot, way too much not so exciting dialogue, abundance of characters and abuse of CGI really ruined that magical feeling present in the previous movies. They still feel exciting today and they manage to communicate you much more by showing less; you have Indy looking for the Ark: stop. You have Indy chasing the Grail; stop. But what's behind those artifacts? Who created them? You don't know and you don't care, (I'm not putting TOD here because it's a non-canonical quest), everything else in between is perfectly crafted, and the fact those items are universally known certainly does help the viewer to feel the great importance of his hunt for those supernatural and religious treasures

Just got back from watching it. It was decent. As it's own movie it was fine but compared to the others it was just bland. It was missing the magic and the charm from the other films. Also, too much CGI.

Slavik81

Fuck. I showed up an hour and a half early for one of the shows tonight and found out it was sold out. As was the show on an hour after that, and an hour after that.

Oh well. I guess I'll watch The Last Crusade and be going to see KotCS tomorrow.

Solo

This is it? This is what it took 19 years, script rejection after script rejection, and lots of debate between George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Harrison Ford as to what a fourth Indy movie should be? This is the idea that finally united them? Warning: knowing that it took so long for them to agree on a script, and that this is the best they could come up with, means I’m going to be extra hard on it.

Wow, this movie sucks. It’s like, Hook bad. Hell, it makes Temple of Doom look like a passable movie. The plot is retarded, it plays more like a screwball comedy than an adventure movie, there is never any sense of danger (which strips the film of any sort of thrills), the callbacks are predictable and annoying (Marion could also have been cut from this wholesale; making Mutt Indy’s son just seemed like a convenient way to shoehorn her character into the movie), Indy has become Basil Exposition, the new characters have the depth of the shallow end of the kiddies pool (and John Hurt looks like he is just continuing his performance from The Proposition), the cinematography is way off base for an Indy movie (its predictably Kaminski-ed; washed out color palettes and weird, “bloomy” lighting), effects work is shoddy for ILM’s standards (and there is far too much CGI), it uses some of the oldest film clichés out there, hell, even the action scenes, which are Spielberg’s bread and butter, are bland and uninspiring (actually, I felt overall this war far from Spielberg’s finest hour behind the camera). I don’t even know what to say about the A-bomb scene, the CG gophers, the Tarzan scene, the aliens, John William’s forgettable score, or the cheesy wedding. Raiders is a classic, Temple is crappy but watchable, and Last Crusade is a lesser Raiders retread held afloat by Sean Connery’s performance. Skull has none of these traits. And what in god’s name is Cate Blanchett doing in this? She is far too talented for this production.

If I had to mine a few positives out of this turd, they would be a few decent visual gags (I liked Indy going from Mutt’s bike into the enemy car and back again), the chemistry between Shia and Harrison, and the art design.

In terms of the three summer movies I’ve seen thusfar, Crystal Skull is at the bottom of the heap, quite a bit below both Speed Racer and Iron Man. In terms of Indy movies, Raiders >>>> Last > Temple > Skull.

Count Dookkake said:
Aliens
are supernatural, just like religion.

Perhaps the reason many of you have a problem with the
aliens
is the same reason we can all so easily laugh at Scientology, but not the religion you grew up with. It's easy to pick out the flaws of something in which you do not believe.

New or old, it's bullshit.

"But my old bullshit is more real than your new bullshit."

Or perhaps this movie is a humorous take on
intelligent design
I grew up with Scientology. I laugh at it.

Also:

Solo said:
In terms of the three summer movies I’ve seen thusfar, Crystal Skull is at the bottom of the heap, quite a bit below both Speed Racer and Iron Man. In terms of Indy movies, Raiders >>>> Last > Temple > Skull.

This.

Even with all of the mixed feelings about the movie, I really wouldn't mind if the rumors turned out to be true regarding the possibility of more Indy installments. IMO, Skull is still better than any action-adventure that has come out of Hollywood since Last Crusade. And in the event that successive films end up with equally-mixed verdicts, I could still look at the series with the understanding that there were Jones' glory days in the earlier films and those that were still fun if not nearly as awesome. After all, the Star Wars prequels screwed things up fundamentally because of their affect on the history of the entire series going forward in chronological sense. Indy would just be plugging along as an active retiree since he's only going to get older.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Top 5 things I hated:
1. Too much CGI. My brain hates CGI. It simply cannot accept it as truth.
2. Indy was invincible... even stranger considering how old he is.
3. Storyline was too convoluted and silly. Indiana Jones movies are based on pulp novels. They should be simple and fun. The original was fun and clever at the same time. Anyone who says otherwise doesnt understand what they were trying to accomplish with them and should watch more classic films.
4. fridge
5. animals

Top 5 things I loved:
1. The character/ actors. Everyone involved did a great job. Shea labouf seems to have potential to stick around. Cate Blanchet was gorgeous and overqualified. The lady from the past ones was amazing and the interplay was fun.
2. the score. I expected it to be over the top and in your face. It wasnt. It wasnt nostalgic or any other bullshit. It just supported the film.
3. The shots. I always knew where everyone was in relation to eachother, I was never confused. Not a lot of slow-mo or jump cuts or shaky cam bullshit. Classy stuff.
4. The way the movie didnt hold my hand. It really did "show and not tell." You recieved a suprising amount of info from the visuals and less from dialogue.
No one said "this is **** a secret place where we keep *** you may remember it from ****"
5. The middle section

Overral this felt like a cash in.

castle007

Banned
This movie is terrible. There were a few entertaining parts but the rest was pure garbage. I realized that the movie was going to suck as soon as Jones
survived a nuclear explosion.
after that....... :| There were so many stupid parts like
shia swinging and then to make it worse, he caught up to the cars
:lol :lol :lol the scene with
the ants was a lame excuse to get rid of some of the russians
and I didn't feel like the characters were ever in danger in any of these scenes.

And why are people spoiler tagging the word
aliens
. It says in the trailer that the skull
was not made by human hands
:lol I am tagging it to avoid banning. I don't think it is a spoiler.

Solo

One other thing, for all this gushing over how Harrison still looks the part, I found this not really to be the case. In fact, I found his old man-ness distracting at times. Mostly, the classic pants-pulled-up-to-your-armpits look.

castle007 said:
And why are people spoiler tagging the word
aliens
. It says in the trailer that the skull
was not made by human hands
:lol I am tagging it to avoid banning. I don't think it is a spoiler.
Because
God
could have made it. That's why. Or, maybe, greaser monkeys.

Flynn

Solo said:
One other thing, for all this gushing over how Harrison still looks the part, I found this not really to be the case. In fact, I found his old man-ness distracting at times. Mostly, the classic pants-pulled-up-to-your-armpits look.

You could see how his arthritis has changed the way he moves -- he kinda dodders now. You could tell when they get to the swinging bits that it's a stuntman or CG puppetbot or whatever.

I liked it quite a bit, certainly at this point more than Temple of Doom, but I'll have to see again down the line to confirm that. I thought one of the action sequences in particular was pretty incredible, and in general its a fun movie with good characters. After watching all of the other movies the last couple of weeks, this one feels like it fits in and I can see myself watching it alongside the rest years from now.

For me the movie was about 60% Last Crusade and 40% Temple of Doom.
Absolutely had a ball though I thought the transition of(minor spoiler)
of Indiana to exhibit more and more mannerisms of Connery
was handled brilliantly and I frankly was so excited to see Harrison Ford act like he gave a damn I forgave the movie for a lot.

So I loved it but then again I really love Indiana Jones.

Christopher

flintstryker said:
learn to think for yourself.

:lol I love this - keep it coming.

What are reviews for then? If you pay me the 12.00 to go see it, hell I will.

I've never seen an Indy film, and if this one isn't so great I'm not gonna waste my money on it - hence while I'll rent the older films to get a better feel of Jones then this new one.

Christopher said:
I've never seen an Indy film, and if this one isn't so great I'm not gonna waste my money on it - hence while I'll rent the older films to get a better feel of Jones then this new one.
If you haven't seen one before, do yourself a favor and pick up the trilogy on DVD. Watch them in the order they were produced (Raiders, Doom, Crusade), or you could watch them in chronological order (Doom, Raiders, Crusade) with the Young Indiana Jones series first if you really want to start earlier in the cannon. In any case, I think because of the winks and nods to earlier films found in all of them following Raiders, I'd watch them in their produced order before going off to see Skull. It'll probably be in theatres all summer, anyway...and then in bargain theatres shortly thereafter. Hell, the DVD will probably be out this Xmas.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
3/5. Ford, LaBoeuf, and Allen were all fantastic and mostly made up for the dumb parts. Spielberg & Lucas have definitely lost the touch, though. The passion of their youthful careers just isn't there. It felt more like a bunch of Indiana Jones gags & action scenes than a coherent movie. But what was good was really good.

Christopher said:
:lol I love this - keep it coming.

What are reviews for then? If you pay me the 12.00 to go see it, hell I will.

Yes, Chris, please watch the original trilogy first. Like I posted earlier in this thread, my cousin watched this fourth movie without ever seeing any of the others, and now he has no urge to see the rest of them. I wish that attitude on no one.

CajoleJuice said:
Yes, Chris, please watch the original trilogy first. Like I posted earlier in this thread, my cousin watched this fourth movie without ever seeing any of the others, and now he has no urge to see the rest of them. I wish that attitude on no one.

Did it occur to you that your cousin just has terrible taste in movies?

Solo said:
Christopher - just watch Raiders and skip the rest.
Don't listen to this person. You'll only be robbing yourself of the experience. This person takes this stuff too seriously. :lol In order to really appreciate Raiders, you really have to watch the others...

OgnodoD

Saw it today. I went to the same theater and at about the same time that I went to see Narnia last week. Same kind of family-oriented crowd. Everyone loved it. They all laughed at
Indy freaking out over the "rope"
. Much applause at the end. Again, that's the kind of audience I enjoy watching a movie with. That's why I stay far away from midnight showings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom