• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Rottenwatch/Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyFive

brandonh83 said:
The music was rip-roarin' during the jungle sequence but yeah it wasn't used as prominently as it could have been. The music itself though? Awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPtHnSjZNLo

I mean how that could be considered soft or disappointing blows my mind.

But it was the only time we heard The Adventures of Mutt (other than the credits).

I loved the Jungle Chase, and it had great music (as well as the ants scene that came after it), but with parts like the Motorcycle chase, the tomb of the Conquistadors, and everything else was almost just a background beat.

The Call of the Crystal, the march for the Soviets, even the awesome music when the UFO turned on and destroyed the valley, they were used so little when it could have been used in so many places.

I know John Williams' style is evolving, but he made so cool melodies that you have to look up the exact spot on the OST to listen to again.

Also, this is cool.

GhaleonEB said:
Pretty much agree, though I thought Ford did a good job. The film is packed with idiocy, but I actually grew a sad at points, seeing what Indiana Jones has been reduced to. Mutt swinging through the trees with monkeys and the standing between cars while plant whack Jones in the nuts over and over. Har. Har.

A terribly conceived and executed film. I felt embarrassed, angry and sad after watching it.

Yeah that's how I see it, it almost descends into a parody of the past films.

It follows the basic formula of Raiders and Last Crusade but just doesn't do anything good, from action to humor.

Surprised anyone would prefer it over Last Crusade. That film had great action sequences(boat and tank chases), great lines (no ticket !, she talks in her sleep).

The only thing memorable in Crystal Skull is the fridge (for all the wrong reasons).

I'm stunned they thought this was good enough to bring Indy out of retirement.

They should've just replaced Ford with Brendan Fraser and called it Tomb of the Alien Emperor

KernelPanic said:
Yeah that's how I see it, it almost descends into a parody of the past films.

It follows the basic formula of Raiders and Last Crusade but just doesn't do anything good, from action to humor.

Surprised anyone would prefer it over Last Crusade. That film had great action sequences(boat and tank chases), great lines (no ticket !, she talks in her sleep).

The only thing memorable in Crystal Skull is the fridge (for all the wrong reasons).

I'm stunned they thought this was good enough to bring Indy out of retirement.

They should've just replaced Ford with Brendan Fraser and called it Tomb of the Alien Emperor

Well, from what I've read and heard, Spielberg and Ford both weren't crazy about the aliens or the first scripts, which is partly why the movie sat in limbo for so long. What finally got them to change their minds is what I don't understand.

DoctorWho said:
No. It was meant to be a homage to 50's post-war alien invasion craze films.

Exactly. And I understand George being fascinated by that era because he grew up in it. But what I think he failed to understand that is people didn't want to see Indy taking on that subject matter. Would have been great if he created some new franchise or stand alone movie as an homage to those B movies, but don't really think putting Indy in it was the right choice.

And as for my complaints about the Skull soundtrack, my biggest problem with it? It simply isn't memorable for me. Yeah, I can listen to it and think, "That's pretty good." But I'll be damned if I can hum or whistle any of it hours or days later. Doom's slave children theme is perhaps one of the greatest pieces John has ever composed.

WillyFive

Spectral Glider said:
Well, from what I've read and heard, Spielberg and Ford both weren't crazy about the aliens or the first scripts, which is partly why the movie sat in limbo for so long. What finally got them to change their minds is what I don't understand.

I'm guessing it's putting the line "They are not aliens, they are inter-dimensional beings" in the movie, and changing the story for it to be about the City of Gold rather than an invasion of Area 51 by aliens like it was meant to be.

And to be fair, Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars was an awesome script, even if it was too much like the original movies.

Chinner said:
so basically willy is george lucas.

Hrmmmm.

Fine.

But I'm not fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom