• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Rottenwatch/Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spectral Glider said:
Well, seeing as it's about to hit, or maybe already has, $300 million, I'm guessing there will be another one.

Harrison Ford is going to die before the next one. Maybe George Lucas too.

No no no no no no no no no

YYZ

ok I know I'm late, but I hope someone can answer me.

Why do some people have a problem with this movie after seeing Indy
emerge out of the refrigerator after that nuclear blast?
Was it that bad? Before watching Indy 4, I watched the previous three all in a row and that fridge scene didn't bother me at all. I thought Indy 4 preserved that "Indy" feeling and I have no qualms with this film. It's not like the previous three movies were very down to earth at all (no pun intended).

My only concern with the latest movie is that I hope it's the last canonical one because what he discovered in this one cannot be topped.

YYZ said:
My only concern with the latest movie is that I hope it's the last canonical one because what he discovered in this one cannot be topped.
Personally, nothing has quite lived up to Raiders since. Doesn't mean it can't be fun anyway. I really do hope there's another one...I'd like this series to end on a high note and I'm hoping that Spielberg and Ford also want to send it off well for the hardcore fans. (I enjoyed Skull despite everything.)

gkryhewy

Way LTTP: Just saw this for the first time last night on blu ray. I really loved it. Parts of it were a bit cheesy and over-the-top, but I do think this stands with the older films. And the blu ray was spectacular.

gkrykewy said:
Way LTTP: Just saw this for the first time last night on blu ray. I really loved it. Parts of it were a bit cheesy and over-the-top, but I do think this stands with the older films. And the blu ray was spectacular.

My wife and I watched it for the second time last night on bluray after seeing it in the theater during the summer. We both enjoyed it more the second time - and really think the more you watch it the more it will stand with the other films. Raiders will always be -- and always has been -- the pinnacle of the series. However, for those that are still on the fence about KOTCS, just remember this:

It actually seems like an Indy film from concept to film 20 years after the Last Crusade. Talk about amazing, no?

El Pescado said:
Fixed.

I seriously don't understand the hate... :(
Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

They've done all they could with relgious artifacts, why not move onto the Roswell incident?

It's still in line with the over the top Pulp inspired adventures of the first 3.

The only thin I questioned was the need for the nuke test scene. It added nothing to the story.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I never had a problem with the story, i generally just have a problem with the Cartoon rules and physics of the world in Crystal Skull.

There's no involvement with what's going on in the movie because of that. I mean the movie has a dude going tarzan in our asses, and horribly cgied monkeys serving as sidekicks.

The movie basically ended there for me.

Epcott

Count Dookkake said:
I have seen the movie three times, first for free.

It gets better with each viewing. It is clearly better than Last Crusade.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT! (*_*)

oh, I'm sorry, you were obviously being sarcastic there lol
(right??)

Thriller

I dont get the hate here... the entire movie prepares you and gives hints to what happens at the end.
When I go and see a movie I dont care if it is realistic or not, I'm watching a movie.
People (fans or no fans) shouldnt get so wound up about this movie.
It was entertaining like every other indy movie, if you want to see realistic stuff go and watch something else..

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I genuinely liked this movie the first time in the theater, and now having seen it twice on blu-ray I can honestly say I enjoy it as:

Raiders>>>>Crusade>>Skull>Temple

FWIW I also enjoyed at least TPM from the PT:

Empire>>>>ANH>>>>>TPM>>>>>>>>ROTJ>>>>>ROTS>>>>>>>>>>>>>AOTC

haters be damned. I guarantee there are movies that they love that I think are hilariously bad.

gkryhewy

WrikaWrek said:
I never had a problem with the story, i generally just have a problem with the Cartoon rules and physics of the world in Crystal Skull.

There's no involvement with what's going on in the movie because of that. I mean the movie has a dude going tarzan in our asses, and horribly cgied monkeys serving as sidekicks.

The movie basically ended there for me.

Agreed - the tarzan bit was stupid, as was the inter-jeep sword fight and the "log flume" over the waterfall physics. But aside from those low points, there was a lot of good stuff.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
gkrykewy said:
Agreed - the tarzan bit was stupid, as was the inter-jeep sword fight and the "log flume" over the waterfall physics. But aside from those low points, there was a lot of good stuff.

Look, a swimming pool is a big, blue, beautiful thing. Crystal water, inviting and lovely. But all it takes is for a lone shit to bob to the surface, and the entire pool is ruined.

Lucas pinched about twenty loafs* into that pool.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I actually watched this movie last night and holy shit was this shitty movie shit. George Lucas decided to not just ruin Star Wars, but Indiana Jones too. :lol I just hate that I paid for the movie and now I've gotta find someway to get ride of it.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Holy hell, this was a terrible movie. The best thing I can say about it is that it wasn't the worst movie I've seen. It was bad from start to finish with bad ideas and bad execution.

Darklord

Banned
DjangoReinhardt said:
Holy hell, this was a terrible movie. The best thing I can say about it is that it wasn't the worst movie I've seen. It was bad from start to finish with bad ideas and bad execution.

I thought it was good. It was better than Temple of Doom. I think people expect too much and love to nitpick.

Flynn

Darklord said:
I think people expect too much.

Yeah, we expect the sequel to one of the best action movies ever made to be actually, you know, good. Of course that's a bit much to ask.

This movie is so bad I didn't even buy it on blu-ray during that kickass black friday deal on Amazon, and I'll buy just about any crap on blu-ray. I paid full price for the Point Break: Pure Adrenaline Edition blu-ray!

Darklord

Banned
Flynn said:
Yeah, we expect the sequel to one of the best action movies ever made to be actually, you know, good. Of course that's a bit much to ask.

The first one was good, the second was average and pretty stupid and the 3rd was great. Overall it isn't a flawless series.

The Blue Jihad said:
Frankly, I don't give two shits about you or your cute little snappy replies here. What fascinates me is how low your standards obviously are if you genuinely enjoyed that piece of shit movie. lol

i don't know what you said before, but i agree. this movie was ridiculous. it's even good for a laugh (not in a good way).

blu ray quality is good though..

and why the HELL did Cate Blanchett keep her clothes on the entire movie?

Darklord said:
The first one was good, the second was average and pretty stupid and the 3rd was great. Overall it isn't a flawless series.

The difference is the movie had the support of two people with obscene amounts of money and as much time as they wanted. They couldn't even bring a decent script to the table.

besada

Banned
mamacint said:
Not gonna relish in hating it like people relish in hating the Star Wars prequels, but man, what a strikeout.

It wasn't bad enough to get excited over, just bad enough to make me wish they hadn't bothered. Geriatric Indy was sad enough, but the steady decline in everything Lucas touches makes Baby Jesus cry.

Christopher

I just wanna say I finally got to sit down and actually watch all three movies today back to back and let me tell you having see Skull as my first Indy film the older films completely make this movie look like a joke...I even rewatched Skull and it still was just bad...what was Speilburg thinking...The old ones were truly classic films.

Zyzyxxz

Saw it for the first time last month, yup Skull was pretty bad, not the horrible injustice as some people make it out to be, but its one of those films that didn't really need to be made.

Seriously

Shia LeDouche
+
Super crayola color scheme
+
over the top survival miracles

= completely overdone movie

The originals were just so great at creating that sense of adventure but this one just made the movie a full action film. Seriously wtf was with the part where the car lands on a tree and safely gets off on the river.

Also was anybody else weirded out by Cate Blanchett as the Russian chick? She just seemed so strange and I felt uncomfortable watching her in that role.

Christopher said:
I just wanna say I finally got to sit down and actually watch all three movies today back to back and let me tell you having see Skull as my first Indy film the older films completely make this movie look like a joke...I even rewatched Skull and it still was just bad...what was Speilburg thinking...The old ones were truly classic films.

'Speilburg'

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't see Skull as a big disappointment..... more like silly fun. I can enjoy it, but that doesn't get far with most people and I don't exactly blame them.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and actually watch Crystal Skull. Ignoring it won't make it go away, after all.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
GDGF said:
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and actually watch Crystal Skull. Ignoring it won't make it go away, after all.
It's not BAD. But it's not exactly good either. How's that for a setup? :lol

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
The only thing this movie accomplished was giving the film world its own version of the phrase "Jumped the shark".

"Nuked the fridge" will forever be a part of the pop culture lexicon now.

Christopher said:

Yeah, I also did that and my thoughts are the same lol. Altough it is watchable it fails in comparison with the first three movies....a LOT. Seeing Indy so young and vigorous and then so old and miserable breaks my heart :(

i still maintain that this movie was good... up until indy and mutt got to south america. then it went downhill pretty fast. especially when marian shows up, movie turned into a fucking cartoon. i don't mind the fridge nuking, i don't even mind the aliens. but I do mind cardboard cut out characters on an hour long universal studios ride. (not that the first three movies were intensely deep and thought provoking, but you catch my drift)

it's funny because i think what afflicted this movie - chopped up script - is the exact problem with Terminator Salvation .... studio greenlights movie, everything's good to go except a script which nobody can agree on, time is running out. so what you have is everybody settling on a sort of frankenstein script where everything's abbreviated or amended to please everyone, and despite some competent acting and direction, the finished product comes out hollow

i'm still down for an indy 5 though. 1960s, hippy mutt, soviets ... lots of stuff to do, just get a competent script writer

I think I mentioned this months and months ago in this thread, but I saw it on midnight opening day and was disappointed. Then I saw it with my mom and dad that weekend and had a much better time. I didn't mind Shia as much as many probably did. I thought the fight in the diner and subsequent motorcycle chase were enjoyable. I enjoyed the first section of the film much better the second time. I even kinda liked the jungle chase up until Tarzan LeBouf and man eating ants. :/

Overall, a disappointment, but not a terrible film.

Tyrone Slothrop said:
i still maintain that this movie was good... up until indy and mutt got to south america. then it went downhill pretty fast. especially when marian shows up, movie turned into a fucking cartoon. i don't mind the fridge nuking, i don't even mind the aliens. but I do mind cardboard cut out characters on an hour long universal studios ride. (not that the first three were intensely deep and thought provoking, but you catch my drift)

it's funny because i think what afflicted this movie - chopped up script - is the exact problem with Terminator Salvation .... studio greenlights movie, everything's good to go except a script which nobody can agree on, time is running out. so what you have is everybody settling on a sort of frankenstein script where everything's abbreviated or amended to please everyone, and despite some competent acting and direction, the finished product comes out hollow

i'm still down for an indy 5 though. 1960s, hippy mutt, soviets ... lots of stuff to do, just get a competent script writer

Yeah, I was willing to let the fridge go. Then I was wiling to let the sword-fighting on moving cars go.

But catching up to speeding vehicles by vine-swinging was what broke it for me, followed by the monkeys somehow knowing who the bad guys were. I mean, really?

megashock5 said:
Yeah, I was willing to let the fridge go. Then I was wiling to let the sword-fighting on moving cars go.

But catching up to speeding vehicles by vine-swinging was what broke it for me, followed by the monkeys somehow knowing who the bad guys were. I mean, really?

I could forgive all of that if the dialogue was snappy and funny and the characters had any chemistry. Seriously, I've never seen so many bored actors in one film. Shia was actually the best one (oh, and Hurt I suppose).

Scullibundo said:
Its the only film I've genuinely enjoyed Shia in.

Gotta say I agree with this. Going in I thought he was going to be the worst thing about the movie, but actually he was one of the better things (aside from the vine swinging thing which we can't really blame him for.) I think the problem with it was that most of the big people involved in the film saw it as an obligation rather than something they wanted to do. Probably the only ones happy to be there were Shia and Karen Allen (who couldn't wipe that dopey grin off her face the entire damn movie, guess she was just happy to be in something. I think her last major role was "forgotten subplot" in The Perfect Storm.)

I watched it again a couple of weeks ago. Great fun. Definitely better than the third one.

I hope we see more wacky religious/sci-fi shit in the next one. Maybe some Lovecraftian end-of-the-world stuff would tie into that.

Scullibundo said:
Its the only film I've genuinely enjoyed Shia in.

+1

I finally saw this movie and I have to say it's awful. I can't believe I waited so long for a new Indiana Jones film only to get such crap.

Only good part was Harrison Ford's performance (he's still got it).

Medalion

Banned
I will never get the hate for this movie. The big dissapointment was the inclusion of Shia, I didn't even mind the CG additions or the interdimensional aliens.

Christopher said:
If you like this then i HIGHLY reccomend The Last Airbender!
Indy 4 was pretty average, but overall sorta fun and mildly entertaining. TLA is a pile shit made by a shit director featuring shit actors and actresses. The two aren't even comparable. Fuck you M Night! *Mel Gibson breathing*

JGS

Banned
Medalion said:
I will never get the hate for this movie. The big dissapointment was the inclusion of Shia, I didn't even mind the CG additions or the interdimensional aliens.
You answered why all the hate in the second sentence. You just seem to be pretty forgiving.

It wasn't horrible btw, just not loveable. It was serviceable like every ther summertime tent pole movie. It is not classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom