• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Rottenwatch/Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salmonax

Cyan said:
His dad drank from it too. They seem to have completely ignored/dropped that plot point. Another annoying thing about Indy 4.
Considering even one of the knights of the first crusade was said to have died from extreme old age after leaving the temple, it's implied that you have to keep drinking from the grail to experience immortality.

Cyan said:
His dad drank from it too. They seem to have completely ignored/dropped that plot point. Another annoying thing about Indy 4.

Ugh. How the fuck do people NOT understand this? They clearly spell it out in Last Crusade.

The Knight said something like:
"But the grail cannot be taken past the seal. ...the price of immortality."

You have to continually drink the grail in order to live forever. No grail, no immortality.

yacobod

Banned
i was under the assumption that indy/his dad would have to stay with the grail where the original knight was on guard to have everlasting life

or at least that was my take on it

acidviper said:
I have a question. Since Indy drank from the Chalice in Last Crusade is he invulnerable or will live forever?
Doesn't the knight say though that the immortality is only inside the seal though? Or maybe I'm not remembering it right

Thriller

Drinking from the grail makes you immortal behind the seal.
The grale can still perform mirracles (curing sean) but doesnt make you immortal if you leave the cave.
That is the price of immortality

(or so i thought

Salmonax

GitarooMan said:
Doesn't the knight say though that the immortality is only inside the seal though? Or maybe I'm not remembering it right
He just says the grail can't pass beyond the seal. So if you want to keep drinking from it, you have to stay in the cave.

jett

D-Member
godhandiscen said:
Be honest man, the movie sucked because they fucked up our country!

I HATE THIS MOVIE!

If only that was the only reason this movie blew. I love the clichè mexican music they used in the background when they were in Peru. Actually no I don't.

The Blue Jihad said:
I"ve been seeing Uncharted brought up quite a few times in this thread, and I'm starting to get genuinely intrigued. I assume it isn't a killer app for PS3, but if I were to get a PS3 (will eventually...when, who knows), sounds like Uncharted is worth checking out?

It warrants a rental at least.

Cyan said:
That's what I'm talking about. The brother who left, whose grave Indy found and whose shield had Alexandretta on it. He had obviously not drunk from the grail since leaving the temple, yet died of extreme old age. They ignored that completely for Henry Sr. Obviously that was for logistical reasons, but it grated nonetheless.

I understood it just fine. See above.

Maybe Henry Sr. wound up getting shot again or something. :lol

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Cyan said:
That's what I'm talking about. The brother who left, whose grave Indy found and whose shield had Alexandretta on it. He had obviously not drunk from the grail since leaving the temple, yet died of extreme old age. They ignored that completely for Henry Sr. Obviously that was for logistical reasons, but it grated nonetheless.

I understood it just fine. See above.

extreme old age doesn't mean he lived to like 200 or something.

Salmonax

Cyan said:
The knight was already at least 150 years old when he left the temple, so he wouldn't have had to live much longer to qualify as dying of extreme old age. I took it that his clock began to run out as soon as he left, as did Henry's, which would only have made a small impact on his life expectancy.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
acidviper said:
I have a question. Since Indy drank from the Chalice in Last Crusade is he invulnerable or will live forever?
You can only be immortal if you stay in the temple.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
just don't watch this movie right after seeing raiders. that's all i'm saying.

i made this mistake, and this one came off as hollow and artificial. long live raiders, i guess.

"I like Ike"

33335519.gif

WedgeX

Banned
Saw it for the second time on Sunday (my girlfriend was not exactly pleased that I saw it without her before) and I stand by my original assessment.

To make up for it we later watched Raiders and Last Crusade. Her mom kept popping in to give us a hard time for thinking Crystal Skull wasn't all that great. Sigh.

Teddman

Damn, it was great to see Harrison Ford back as Indy again. He effortlessly resurrected the character.

I don't care, if you don't recognize his performance in this flick as reason enough to justify its existence, then you are no fan of one of the greatest matinee movie heros of all-time, sir.

Flynn

Sapiens said:
Notice the Nintendo GC and GBA on his desk? It explains so much.:lol

This is how I picture all you GAFFERS blasting the movie.

And we picture you guys rubbing one out to Uncharted.

Gattsu25

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
that he has good taste in gaming?
He's a Nintendo fan,which actually does explain a lot.

This guy acts like he got raped, but as far as I see it...it was just a waste of time and money. He's overreacting to an extreme...but his lot typically do.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Sapiens said:

God... page 54... :lol

You really liked it THAT much?

I'd be really curious to see an inventory of the top 10 action movies of the last 10 years by people in this thread... I wanna know what types of people I'm looking at...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Saw it, thought it was alright. Dunno if I really liked it or not.

Funny thing is I thought the fridge scene was one of the best in the movie. :lol

NotWii

Banned
Sapiens said:

Hey, STFU!

I liked Indy 4 and I have a GC and GBA on my desk!

Sciz

Just saw it. A bit over the top, even for Indiana Jones, and the sci-fi aspect doesn't sit quite right with me, but overall it was a blast. A worthy addition to the franchise.

I saw it again today with my parents, and I actually liked it better the second time. There are still lots of parts that need to be worked on, but an entertaining movie to say the least.

MisterHero

Sapiens said:

Real fanboys don't know how to express disappointment and only appreciate Nintendo's clever scheme of always keeping us asking for more of their godly wares.

I would know.

Aurelius

Saw it yesterday evening. Very disappointed. After raping my childhood memories with the Star Wars prequels and this movie, I can’t wait to see what Spielberg does with Tintin.

Aurelius said:
Saw it yesterday evening. Very disappointed. After rapping my childhood memories with the Star Wars prequels and this movie, I can’t wait to see what Spielberg does with Tintin.

tn2_steven_spielberg_1.jpg

"Lookin' like straight bozos.
I saw it comin', that's why I went solo.
And kept on stompin',
when ya'll mothafuckers moved straight outta Compton."

Saw this on Saturday matinee with my father, which seemed to be a common theme (son or daughter with father). Decent attendance too.

Some parts of it were hard to digest in the over-the-top department, with one jungle scene in particular. It had me rolling my eyes and seeing images of wookies whooping like Tarzan. Must be a Lucas thing. There are many such parts of the movie that can be dumped on for sheer lunacy by those so inclined (and there are many such on the 'net), and I too wouldn't rate it highly overall if pressed.

But out in the real world with real people, it was an entertaining movie that I'm sure most people will like watching for many years to come. And kudos to Harrison Ford. He really put his all into this, entirely believeable throwing punches and yet his age made such things as his wise and casual dismissal of Mutt acting tough seem very legit.

Pleased to be part of what kept it a fairly strong 3rd this weekend.

I finally saw it when it came out in Japan today. It was AMAZING. I don't get all the criticism. The few things I could nitpick were some of the super unrealistic stuff like the nuke fridge and tarzan scene and also the "indy and co. turn around and suddenly they're surrounded by russians cocking their guns" plot point was overused but otherwise it was just as good as the others. It felt like just another Indy movie. The aliens were fine. I don't see how they're any different than a holy box that melts faces, the magic stones in India or the magic cup of Christ. If magic exists, why not aliens? Though you could see how it was a bit formulaic if you compare it to Raiders and Last Crusade, but still it was a lot of fun. Best movie I've seen in theaters in a long time.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
i'm going to see this movie tomorrow (super LTTP i know) and i have a few questions:

i saw the first two when i was a kid and i skipped the third, in other words i'm considered a series noob...

am i going to enjoy this movie still?
and what should i expect from this movie? (remember: i'm not an indy fan so i can't compare it with the predecessors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom