• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Rottenwatch/Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Medalion said:
I will never get the hate for this movie. The big dissapointment was the inclusion of Shia, I didn't even mind the CG additions or the interdimensional aliens.

Same. The worst point of this movie was the monkey swinging and it's only one scene. Otherwise I really enjoyed the movie.

Medalion

Banned
It's pretty naive to think a George Lucas and Spielberg helmed movie with ILM as their main effects company, would cut back on CG for a big summer BLockbuster of a huge franchise title like Indiana Jones in this day and age...

I didn't really mind Shia all that much except that he didn't really add anything to the film. He's just there to give them a means to 'pass on the torch' and do more Indy movies in the future when Harrison Ford really becomes too old.

The plot, villain, supporting characters, action sequences, humor were all lame. Everything this movie did, the previous films did far better. The fridge is the ultimate expression of how lame the film is.

All in all a massive disappointment for me, the Last Crusade is the last Indy film as far as I'm concerned.

Medalion

Banned
If they had did Indiana Jones and the Fate of Altantis, movie version, it woulda had alien shit too and you better believe CG coming out the anus.

andymcc

Banned
Willy105 said:
This was such a great movie.

Especially the climax.

The wait for Indy 5 is unbearable.

after defending TPM, even going as far to say the Star Wars prequels are more interesting than the original trilogy, you have the gall to post this shit?

to think you originally earned that tag from defending shitty 3D sonic games.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
KernelPanic said:
I didn't really mind Shia all that much except that he didn't really add anything to the film. He's just there to give them a means to 'pass on the torch' and do more Indy movies in the future when Harrison Ford really becomes too old.

The plot, villain, supporting characters, action sequences, humor were all lame. Everything this movie did, the previous films did far better. The fridge is the ultimate expression of how lame the film is.

All in all a massive disappointment for me, the Last Crusade is the last Indy film as far as I'm concerned.

I imagine people felt the same way about Temple of Doom when it came out. That was really a shocking movie full of abominable supporting characters and just a bizarre tone. Skull was a bit awkward and had too many characters, but I don't think it's any worse than the other sequels. I thought the aliens were quite a good idea and I liked Ford's performance. The hate is just nostalgia talking. I mean, there are people out there who still think Return of the Jedi is a good movie for Christ's sake! :lol

WillyFive

Crystal Skulls was a good movie, no matter what it was about. Get over it.

andymcc said:
after defending TPM, even going as far to say the Star Wars prequels are more interesting than the original trilogy, you have the gall to post this shit?

to think you originally earned that tag from defending shitty 3D sonic games.

Whoa. You got the wrong guy.

I never defended the Prequel Trilogy, I defended the Clone Wars TV show and it's story.

The Prequel Trilogy were bad movies, no matter how you spin it.

And I did not defend the 3D Sonic games, I defended the Sonic Advance games.

Learn to read, or it won't go well for you here.

Christopher said:
If you like this then i HIGHLY reccomend The Last Airbender!

I'm guessing you haven't seen the thread.

Ushojax said:
I imagine people felt the same way about Temple of Doom when it came out. That was really a shocking movie full of abominable supporting characters and just a bizarre tone. Skull was a bit awkward and had too many characters, but I don't think it's any worse than the other sequels. I thought the aliens were quite a good idea and I liked Ford's performance. The hate is just nostalgia talking. I mean, there are people out there who still think Return of the Jedi is a good movie for Christ's sake! :lol

You're partially right, I don't really like Temple of Doom, most because of it breaking the formula in Raiders and Last Crusade but it still has some good humor and action scenes (mine cart chase).

I can't really find any redeeming qualities about Crystal Skull except Harrison Ford.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
KernelPanic said:
I can't really find any redeeming qualities about Crystal Skull except Harrison Ford.

I thought the parts with Mutt before he found out he was his son were really good (Shia actually made me a little sad with his reaction to John Hurt's prison cell), I liked the chemistry between them. I also like the John Hurt character, though he wasn't used very well. There were plenty of decent parts in there, the motorbike chase around the university, the final shots of the saucer lifting off, the sequence in the Area 51 storage area (save the godawful shot of Ford grabbing a gun with the whip), most of the action scenes (save the protracted jeep chase and the vine swinging) were of a high quality, and I thought they acknowledged Indy's age in just the right way.
I even liked the nuke scene.
Chop out a few of the characters (Marion felt totally bolted on and did fuck all) and set pieces, give the story a less meandering structure, and I think it would have worked out great. The ingredients were still there, and most importantly Ford was still pulling it off. I'm sure a 5th film will be much, much better.

WillyFive

The dialogue could definitely have been made shorter. There were a lot of parts, in the same scene, were people repeated the same thing over and over again (especially the bar scene).

Ushojax said:
The ingredients were still there, and most importantly Ford was still pulling it off. I'm sure a 5th film will be much, much better.

I get where you're coming from.

- Shia was just there as a 'passing of the torch' thingy, I don't think he added much else to the film otherwise. The other films (cept Temple of Doom) had better supporting cast (Sean Connery etc.)
- motorcycle chase wasn't really memorable, I prefer the one in Last Crusade. Same with the truck chase (Raiders was better).
-
the cg ants reminded me of the lame CG scarabs in the mummy films .. ugh
- fridge - stupid stupid
- Marion was really tacked on I agree, Indy and her had far better scenes in Raiders
-
Mac was a lame character. He's a good friend, no he's a traitor, no he's a double agent, no he's a traitor after all

Overall it sounds like they tried to do fan service to a bunch of scenes and plot elements and they failed to meet or exceed them every time.

Hopefully the next one is better and has a much more believable story. It's awfully rare I dislike a sequel this much, even the Star Wars prequels weren't this bad.

Oh and +1 for the Peter Sellers avatar :D

KernelPanic said:
I get where you're coming from.

- Shia was just there as a 'passing of the torch' thingy, I don't think he added much else to the film otherwise. The other films (cept Temple of Doom) had better supporting cast (Sean Connery etc.)
- motorcycle chase wasn't really memorable, I prefer the one in Last Crusade. Same with the truck chase (Raiders was better).
-
the cg ants reminded me of the lame CG scarabs in the mummy films .. ugh
- fridge - stupid stupid
- Marion was really tacked on I agree, Indy and her had far better scenes in Raiders
-
Mac was a lame character. He's a good friend, no he's a traitor, no he's a double agent, no he's a traitor after all

Overall it sounds like they tried to do fan service to a bunch of scenes and plot elements and they failed to meet or exceed them every time.

Hopefully the next one is better and has a much more believable story. It's awfully rare I dislike a sequel this much, even the Star Wars prequels weren't this bad.

Oh and +1 for the Peter Sellers avatar :D
Gotta disagree there, I'd easily take this movie over Episodes I & II.

Everytime I see this thread bumped I just get a flashback to Karen Allen with the same dumbfounded expression on her face throughout the movie, seemingly amazed that people remembered she exists and hoping people don't notice she forgot how to act.

Blader

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
This is a bad Indiana Jones movies and an average summer blockbuster. It's certainly better than, say, the Transformers movies.

I certainly don't care for either Transformers movie, and I'd much rather watch the two of them than this again.

No hyperbole, Indy IV is one of the worst big-name Hollywood films I've ever seen. Such a travesty.

The Mummy was miles above this film as well. It's still fairly enjoyable whilst Crystal Skull is just garbage.

I thought the first 10 or so minutes were pretty good, but then I recently saw it again on TV and nope...it was also shit.

MrSerrels

Scullibundo said:
Its the only film I've genuinely enjoyed Shia in.

Can I just say that it's a testament to how shit this movie actually was, that Shia was the best thing about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. :(

MrSerrels said:
Can I just say that it's a testament to how shit this movie actually was, that Shia was the best thing about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. :(

Harrison Ford was the best, trying to do what he can with a shitty script. Props to him for keeping a straight face during the filming.

JGS

Banned
Ushojax said:
Temple of Doom was the weakest of a great trilogy, but it was still great. Crystal Skull was never great. It would have been if not attached to Indy. It would have been akin to Treasure Hunt or something. Harrison Ford was the only reason this was an Indy movie.

Return of the Jedi was a great movie.

MrSerrels said:

Kernel got it right. Ford was the best thing about the movie - that is that the film finally returned to us the real Harrison Ford, as opposed to the grumpy scowling man that we've seen since 92 or so. For that, Indy 5 was completely worth it, it gave us Harrison Ford back.

And yeah, this is the film that I've enjoyed Shia most in.

For me it goes

Raiders of the Lost Ark > The Last Crusade >>>>>>>>>>>> Kingdom of the Crystal Skull >>>>> Temple of Doom

Blader

Ushojax said:

No. I have no nostalgic connection to Indiana Jones, and I thought Crystal Skull was pretty terrible.

edit - I actually may agree with Sculli's rankings. Both Temple and Skull are bad, but I think Shia and Karen Allen are more bearable than Shortround and Kate fucking Capshaw.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
With Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, it wasn't so much that I enjoyed the plot pushing the movie forward, but rather how it seemed to be the movie that connected all the previous movies together. Before KotCS, every Indy movie seemed disconnected with the other, but this movie was able to bring a connection to the rest of the movies (Indy's love interest from the first movie is back in this one, etc.).

That was the best thing about Crystal Skull, even though the actual plot was probably the worst of the Indy films.

temp

posting on contract only
Shrinnan said:
With Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, it wasn't so much that I enjoyed the plot pushing the movie forward, but rather how it seemed to be the movie that connected all the previous movies together. Before KotCS, every Indy movie seemed disconnected with the other, but this movie was able to bring a connection to the rest of the movies (Indy's love interest from the first movie is back in this one, etc.).

That was the best thing about Crystal Skull, even though the actual plot was probably the worst of the Indy films.
Dude that's like the worst part about Crystal Skull. When they're all unrelated stories it's like anything can happen and the story can go anywhere, and it doesn't have to be weighed down by the stuff that happened in the other movies, and trying to shoehorn in old characters where they don't fit. It's like every movie can just be it's own thing and include what it needs to include. All the fan service in Crystal Skull just slowed stuff down.

Like say what you will about Temple of Doom, at least it wasn't just a bunch of boring retreads.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
temp said:
Dude that's like the worst part about Crystal Skull. When they're all unrelated stories it's like anything can happen and the story can go anywhere, and it doesn't have to be weighed down by the stuff that happened in the other movies, and trying to shoehorn in old characters where they don't fit. It's like every movie can just be it's own thing and include what it needs to include. All the fan service in Crystal Skull just slowed stuff down.

I liked that part of it. I didn't like the sci-fi take on the story and the fridge. Those things were definitely a lot worse than what I mentioned, in my opinion of course.

It's not like the flaws of the story would suddenly get better just because the characters from previous movies were never referenced or apart of the cast.

temp

posting on contract only
Shrinnan said:
I liked that part of it. I didn't like the sci-fi take on the story and the fridge. Those things were definitely a lot worse than what I mentioned, in my opinion of course.

It's not like the flaws of the story would suddenly get better just because the characters from previous movies were never referenced or apart of the cast.
Yeah but not shoving Marion in there would have made things leaner. And not dwelling on Henry Sr. and Marcus. And not wasting the opening sequence on revisiting the government storehouse. And not having Indy run across a snake again. And whatever. That was all just wasted time they could have used to come up with some cool new things. That's one of my least favorite things about franchise movies, and the Indy movies were so good about avoiding that stuff up until Crystal Skull. I don't know, man. I don't like it. :(

But yeah, everything else was so stupid that cutting that stuff out wouldn't have really even mattered.

JGS

Banned
Willy105 said:
I still don't understand the hate for this movie.

Who would watch Transformers or The Mummy or The Last Crusade over this!?!
Transformers was based on a cartoon and matched up to or exceed the expectations of that.
The Mummy was a new franchise that paid homage to Indy
The Last Crusade comment has to be a very bad typo for A Long Kiss Goodnight.

Crystal Skull may have been a better movie than those, but it was not up to snuff with the first 3 Indy movies. If it doesn't match up, then it gets knocked more than if it were a new franchise.

This is something I don't get that Hollywood does. Why shoehorn a weak story into an established, beloved franchise whe you can simply create a new franchise. If the story is good and Spielberg & Lucas are involved, it would have made money on a smaller budget.

Zyzyxxz said:
Saw it for the first time last month, yup Skull was pretty bad, not the horrible injustice as some people make it out to be, but its one of those films that didn't really need to be made.

Seriously

Shia LeDouche
+
Super crayola color scheme
+
over the top survival miracles

= completely overdone movie

The originals were just so great at creating that sense of adventure but this one just made the movie a full action film. Seriously wtf was with the part where the car lands on a tree and safely gets off on the river.

Also was anybody else weirded out by Cate Blanchett as the Russian chick? She just seemed so strange and I felt uncomfortable watching her in that role.

don't forget OX made the movie worse

in previous Indiana Jones movies, there was a cool way of solving centuries old riddles and stuff with maps, books and clues and shit

Crystal Skulls throws that out with on hypnotized old man who is a living map: Ox and makes the archeological aspect non-existent.. he is like a GPS and boring

WillyFive

JGS said:
This is something I don't get that Hollywood does. Why shoehorn a weak story into an established, beloved franchise whe you can simply create a new franchise. If the story is good and Spielberg & Lucas are involved, it would have made money on a smaller budget.

Because a new franchise would not be as likely to be a success than an old established franchise.

Mutt Williams and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull would not have been as big a deal.

And it wasn't weak at all. It was right in line with what the original 3 movies tried to do, except Crystal Skull got even closer to it's source material, including the over the top style of storytelling.

JGS

Banned
Willy105 said:
Because a new franchise would not be as likely to be a success than an old established franchise.

Mutt Williams and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull would not have been as big a deal.

And it wasn't weak at all. It was right in line with what the original 3 movies tried to do, except Crystal Skull got even closer to it's source material, including the over the top style of storytelling.

Crystal Skull was not in line with the previous 3. If you didn't like Crusade, I'm not sure how that even works. A Spielberg Lucas collaboration would have been a hit and would have established a new franchise.

Now Indy has become a case study in the law of diminishing returns. It obviously was not that well received from fans and was easily forgettable. Although a hit, I can't imagine a 5th Indy movie being that successful unless 3-d or higher ticket prices are the cause.

It was Indiana Jones for crying out loud but there were 3 or 4 summer movies that year that were better and talked about more. Even Speed Racer, which was a flop, is discussed more than Crystal Skull.

It's not like it got bad reviews (Like the Star Wars prequels didn't get bad reviews either). It just lost the goodwill. It could have gained goodwill by establishing another franchise.

John Williams' score for Doom stomps the shit out of Skull. And Doom also gives us an Indy that isn't fighting army dudes from other countries. Last Crusade was good, but dammit, we'd seen most of it already. I still rank the flicks in the order they were released, Raiders and Doom are my favorites. Skull is fourth, but like way, way, way down. Like 4z or something.

Willy105 said:
I still don't understand the hate for this movie.

Who would watch Transformers or The Mummy or The Last Crusade over this!?!

I would watch neither, they're all horrible, except for Last Crusade which was Shakespeare in comparison, I don't even know how people can compare the two, what are you smoking pal?

WillyFive

JGS said:
Crystal Skull was not in line with the previous 3. If you didn't like Crusade, I'm not sure how that even works. A Spielberg Lucas collaboration would have been a hit and would have established a new franchise.

Now Indy has become a case study in the law of diminishing returns. It obviously was not that well received from fans and was easily forgettable. Although a hit, I can't imagine a 5th Indy movie being that successful unless 3-d or higher ticket prices are the cause.

It was Indiana Jones for crying out loud but there were 3 or 4 summer movies that year that were better and talked about more. Even Speed Racer, which was a flop, is discussed more than Crystal Skull.

It's not like it got bad reviews (Like the Star Wars prequels didn't get bad reviews either). It just lost the goodwill. It could have gained goodwill by establishing another franchise.

I'm sure Indy 5 will do just fine, even if it is a sequel.

And I don't see how Speed Racer was talked about more than Crystal Skull. Back then, all I could hear was complaining that the Crystal Skull was either a) too similar to the old movies, or b) too different from the old movies.

Speed Racer was not talked about at all, except from the fans telling everyone that it was the best looking movie ever.

And besides, I'm pretty sure Mutt Williams was meant to carry the franchise in case Harrison retired.

Spectral Glider said:
John Williams' score for Doom stomps the shit out of Skull.

That's because Temple of Doom is one of John Williams' best work.

Spectral Glider said:
John Williams' score for Doom stomps the shit out of Skull.

I wouldn't go that far. Skull has a very, very underrated score. The Crystal theme, Spalko's theme, Mutt's theme-- all those are fantastic, and there are some incredible action cues that didn't make it on the actual soundtrack. I think Doom's score is better but Skull has a great one too.

Crystal Skull is like a TV reunion special that got a $100m budget. Everyone's just there to have fun and the plot is bs nonsense that only exists to get these characters together again. A complete waste of a movie.

Also I have no idea how anyone can say Crystal Skull is better than Temple of Doom. The final 30 minutes of Doom, as a standalone movie with no context or story, is better than the entirety of Crystal Skull.

WillyFive

The problem with KotCS's score is that it was too soft. You could barely hear it, and it wasn't as powerful as it was meant to be when you listen to the soundtrack.

John Williams created a bunch of awesome melodies, but they were barely used in the score.

Space A Cobra said:
Crystal Skull is like a TV reunion special that got a $100m budget. Everyone's just there to have fun and the plot is bs nonsense that only exists to get these characters together again. A complete waste of a movie.

Well, when the movie ended, the series became very different than it was before. Indy was married and had a son. That's a pretty big change, a lot more than a reunion special, even if Marion made it feel like it was.

Willy105 said:
The problem with KotCS's score is that it was too soft. You could barely hear it, and it wasn't as powerful as it was meant to be when you listen to the soundtrack.

John Williams created a bunch of awesome melodies, but they were barely used in the score.

The music was rip-roarin' during the jungle sequence but yeah it wasn't used as prominently as it could have been. The music itself though? Awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPtHnSjZNLo

I mean how that could be considered soft or disappointing blows my mind.

JGS

Banned
Willy105 said:
I'm sure Indy 5 will do just fine, even if it is a sequel.

And I don't see how Speed Racer was talked about more than Crystal Skull. Back then, all I could hear was complaining that the Crystal Skull was either a) too similar to the old movies, or b) too different from the old movies.

Speed Racer was not talked about at all, except from the fans telling everyone that it was the best looking movie ever.

And besides, I'm pretty sure Mutt Williams was meant to carry the franchise in case Harrison retired.

Oh I wasn't talking about at the time. Crystal Skull had tons of hype. It was mainly this and Dark Knight. Iron man was a complete surprise. Right now, Crystal Skull is largely forgettable (& by the time 2008 summer ended).

I also think Indy 5 will do fine, just like Jurassic Park 3 did fine. I do not think it will exceed IV unless the story is really good. Indy is too old for it to be really good and Mutt isn't strong enough of a replacement.

They should have made a new franchise with Mutt Mullins & perhaps link it loosely with Jones.

GhaleonEB

PhoenixDark said:
Saw the movie early last month. I don't see how anyone could possibly justify the existence of that movie. Seriously. Was that all a joke? Perhaps the worst written film I've seen since Attack of the Clones.

The movie starts off well enough with the little drag race. Very nice camera work there (and throughout the film actually) but I couldn't help but notice the odd coloring. It seemed to work during that first feel-good-50s scene but once the action started it just looked out of place. Things were just too shiny.

Indy's introduction was so quick and non climatic I was simply shocked. And on a side note, how the fuck does a small group of Russian soldiers
infiltrate the Fort Knox of top secret US artifacts?
That was perhaps the first of many shaking-my-head moments in this movie. That entire warehouse scene was terrible. From the ridiculous lines to the stupid moments (like the magnetic cloud of bullets) I couldn't believe what I was seeing or hearing. And to top things off the whole atomic bomb thing...wow. What the fuck was that? I'm baffled as to how Spielberg or anyone else could possibly think this script was worth using.

Overall the first 3/4s of the movie seemed so damn disjointed and poorly planned. Mutt's intro was pretty bad as well, and once again felt rushed. The previous three Indy films all did a great job with the scenes that explain the mulligan yet here it was bogged down by horrible acting by Shia and a rather bored Ford, who seemed like he slept walked through most of the movie.

I remember hearing that the film wouldn't have any CG, and if I wasn't tired I'd dig up those Manabyte/Cheebs posts trying to convince people that everything in the first trailer was real (LOL). Actually it's rather prominent and obvious in many scenes. Most of the action scenes fall flat regardless of whether they feature CG or not though, especially the two scenes involving crazy looking savage people. Sigh. Outside of the atomic bomb shit the most over the top part is probably the "three drop" water ride. It manages to look worse than the one in Temple of Doom. In fact, the entire movie reminded me of ToD in terms of being over the top in every aspect to distract you from how empty the movie is.

I haven't even discussed the plot, which was too stupid to mention. Overall I thought this was 30 minutes of interesting film mixed into an hour and a half of stupidity. I actually liked the race to the temple, as well as the stuff that happens in the temple
(except the alien/spaceship fiasco, which I certainly didn't expect)
. Temple of Doom is better. At least it had Short Round and a particularly badass Indy. I went in expecting the film to at least top ToD. That expectation went out the window 10 minutes into the movie, from Blanchett's laughably hammy performance to this:

Mac: Sorry Jonesy, I'm in it for the money
Indy: I thought we were friends!

or whatever they said. My jaw fell open

Perhaps the main reason KOTCS strikes me as the inferior Jones movie is because it was in development/consideration for so long. 20 years later this is the best they could come up with? This was the script that Spielberg/Ford thought was worth renewing the franchise over? I usually don't hate on Lucas but I cannot fathom how he could think this was a good script. I didn't like the story but it was definitely interesting, and could have been done well; the whole crystal skull myth should have been a good foundation.

I think Spielberg is a great director who has flaws as most directors do. As I said, there are some very nice shots throughout the movie, and there's no denying he's still talented. But to me this is an issue of JUDGMENT. Spielberg had a front row seat to Lucas' fuck up of the Star Wars franchise. I don't understand why he'd willingly go along with fucking up Indy. It's not the greatest trilogy ever, but Raiders is definitely a classic movie and Last Crusade is great as well (and I'd imagine it'll mean more to people as they grow older). This sequel wasn't needed AT ALL. Last Crusade essentially did everything it tried to do.
Pretty much agree, though I thought Ford did a good job. The film is packed with idiocy, but I actually grew a sad at points, seeing what Indiana Jones has been reduced to. Mutt swinging through the trees with monkeys and the standing between cars while plant whack Jones in the nuts over and over. Har. Har.

A terribly conceived and executed film. I felt embarrassed, angry and sad after watching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom