• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Rottenwatch/Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Jinfash said:
i'm going to see this movie tomorrow (super LTTP i know) and i have a few questions:

i saw the first two when i was a kid and i skipped the third, in other words i'm considered a series noob...

am i going to enjoy this movie still?
and what should i expect from this movie? (remember: i'm not an indy fan so i can't compare it with the predecessors)
You don't need to be a hardcore fan to enjoy it. It's good, just enjoy the movie for what it is - a fun adventure flick.

Also, watch Last Crusade damnit.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Justin Bailey said:
You don't need to be a hardcore fan to enjoy it. It's good, just enjoy the movie for what it is - a fun adventure flick.

Also, watch Last Crusade damnit.

awesome, thanks...
and will look for the Last Crusade depending on how much i enjoy this one :lol

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Jinfash said:
awesome, thanks...
and will look for the Last Crusade depending on how much i enjoy this one :lol
Well, Raiders and Last Crusade are in different categories than this movie. If you liked Raiders you're bound to like Last Crusade (my personal favorite).

Does anyone know how Sean Connery would have fit into the story if he had chosen to take part? Apparently he only a minor role which would have disappointed some fans as he didnt "come along for the adventure" or something.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
The Blue Jihad said:
But to recommend that others see it does them a disservice.
I'm not sure if you're really this dense or if you're being antagonistic on purpose, but if I think it's a good movie then it's not really a disservice for me to recommend it. To you, since you think it's a bad movie, it's a disservice to recommend. Do you understand the difference between these two points of view?

OMG. OMG. I know this is off topic but i just read it in a closed read..... crushed got perma banned? Why? Where? link?

Also, i enjoyed the movie. Watching the old ones on tv left a bad taste in my mouth. I think i exageratte how much i actually enjoyed each movie between my viewings of them.

Egg Shen

Fix The Scientist said:
Does anyone know how Sean Connery would have fit into the story if he had chosen to take part? Apparently he only a minor role which would have disappointed some fans as he didnt "come along for the adventure" or something.
Well, the leaked Darabont script worked Connery in at an earlier part of the film in helping to cover for his son who would have been on the run from the government (who thought he was a commie sympathizer). Sallah was even in the script at one point.

In the current film, though, I have no idea how they could have put him into it since the Red Scare witch hunt by the government wasn't as big a part as it was in Darabont's take. IIRC, at one point they had something for Connery until he said that he was having too much fun in retirement.

I saw Crystal Skull last night, and I enjoyed it for what it was--a fun adventure movie. While I still think the first and 3rd films are far better, I found 4 to be at least better than the Temple of Doom. The action scenes were just a lot of fun to watch, and I loved the little Sean Connery cameo.

Justin Bailey said:
I'm not sure if you're really this dense or if you're being antagonistic on purpose, but if I think it's a good movie then it's not really a disservice for me to recommend it. To you, since you think it's a bad movie, it's a disservice to recommend. Do you understand the difference between these two points of view?

Sorry, dude, but you're recommending a lousy movie no matter how you try to spin "it's my opinion." That's the bottom line. As an "adventure" movie, Crystal Skull was barely treading water. It's a waste of a movie, and a waste of people's time.

Jinfash said:
i'm going to see this movie tomorrow (super LTTP i know) and i have a few questions:

i saw the first two when i was a kid and i skipped the third, in other words i'm considered a series noob...

am i going to enjoy this movie still?
and what should i expect from this movie? (remember: i'm not an indy fan so i can't compare it with the predecessors)

i think crystal skull in and of itself was sort of a tribute to the last 3 films, so you probably won't enjoy it as much, tbh. there were a lot of nods to the last crusade, too.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Tyrone Slothrop said:
i think crystal skull in and of itself was sort of a tribute to the last 3 films, so you probably won't enjoy it as much, tbh. there were a lot of nods to the last crusade, too.

i see, well i was expecting something of the sort i won't deny that.
so that i'm clear i'm just itching for some nicely directed action sequences that screams high-production values (not looking for a good story) do you think this indy will offer me that?

Jinfash said:
some nicely directed action sequences that screams high-production values (not looking for a good story) do you think this indy will offer me that?

Honestly, the action sequences in Crystal Skull aren't terribly exciting. They feel by-the-numbers, and lack the Spielberg magic we had in previous Indy movies, in Jurassic Park 1, in War of the Worlds, etc. In terms of high-production values, eeeegh. It all looks very artificial. Plastic, almost. The mushroom cloud is probably the best-looking special effect in the movie.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
The Blue Jihad said:
Sorry, dude, but you're recommending a lousy movie no matter how you try to spin "it's my opinion." That's the bottom line. As an "adventure" movie, Crystal Skull was barely treading water. It's a waste of a movie, and a waste of people's time.
*smacks forehead*

Xdrive05

Such a polarizing movie, even within my own opinion. Some parts are completely fantastic while others are complete bullshit, so much so that it kind of balances out to be mediocre for an Indy flick, better than ToD but not by much.

I do think, however, that Lucas was definitely the weaker link. I thought the directing (cinematography at least) was very well done.

Justin Bailey said:
I'll let you know when I care what your opinion is.

Frankly, I don't give two shits about you or your cute little snappy replies here. What fascinates me is how low your standards obviously are if you genuinely enjoyed that piece of shit movie. lol

Justin Bailey

------ ------
The Blue Jihad said:
Frankly, I don't give two shits about you or your cute little snappy replies here. What fascinates me is how low your standards obviously are if you genuinely enjoyed that piece of shit movie. lol
You're enjoying all of this attention aren't you?

Justin Bailey said:
You're enjoying all of this attention aren't you?

Attention? You mean you were actually giving me some sort of consideration? News to me, honestly. All this time I thought you were just trying to play one of those silly little internet sarcastic things most people try to do around here.

Count Dookkake said:
I have seen the movie three times, first for free.

It gets better with each viewing. It is clearly better than Last Crusade and Temple of Doom.

Fixed.

I seriously don't understand the hate... :(

El Pescado said:
Fixed.

I seriously don't understand the hate... :(

It's probably my second favorite Indy flick, I can take it over Temple of Doom and Crusade, but Raiders is just too good. First time I saw it, I said I liked it as much as Raiders, but nah. However, it's my second favorite out of four movies that I really like and that ain't bad, Spielberg, ain't bad at all.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
ok new question :lol (i know people are getting sick of me sorry)

Indy or Hulk? THAT is the question... can only afford to watch one

The Lamonster said:
I really enjoyed it as well. Interesting to see the recent lack of haters...

I was one of the first people here to see it. I knew most people here would hate it. Not sure how many pages back I made that prediction.

Jinfash said:

Buy a ticket for Indy and sneak into Hulk.

AlexMogil

Finally saw it - loved it. It was wonderful. I got more of a
Close Encounters
vibe from it and my mouth was agape at the end. Very good and fun movie.

Darko

Jinfash said:

Indy, wait for the directors cut of Hulk on dvd.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I went to see this on Saturday at 7 pm. I haven't seen it yet, and pretty much avoided all spoilers. The reason I waited so long was to avoid the kids.

Cue forward 45 min to my gf and I getting our money back. Some stupid fucking kids wouldn't stop chattering, despite my nearly constant *shooshing* and shooting evil glares back at their mother. We had the manager pull the mom out of the theater to scold her, but the damage was done and the movie was ruined.

The kid at a certain part even screamed out "You can close your eyes here cause
there's a mummy coming up!

That's the first time I've ever left a theater. I've never been so mad at some stupid fucking kids. They obviously had seen the movie before, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for ruining perhaps the last chance I'll see Indiana Jones in the theater.

Flynn

DJ_Tet said:
I went to see this on Saturday at 7 pm. I haven't seen it yet, and pretty much avoided all spoilers. The reason I waited so long was to avoid the kids.

Cue forward 45 min to my gf and I getting our money back. Some stupid fucking kids wouldn't stop chattering, despite my nearly constant *shooshing* and shooting evil glares back at their mother. We had the manager pull the mom out of the theater to scold her, but the damage was done and the movie was ruined.

The kid at a certain part even screamed out "You can close your eyes here cause
there's a mummy coming up!

That's the first time I've ever left a theater. I've never been so mad at some stupid fucking kids. They obviously had seen the movie before, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for ruining perhaps the last chance I'll see Indiana Jones in the theater.

As somebody who sees tons of movies it's better to see the movie early if you want to avoid casual talking. The longer you wait, the more likely the theater is to be full of people that don't give a fuck.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I'll try and remember that, I got behind early that's why Indy had to wait so long.

I think we might go to the drive-in and see it and Wall-E in a double screening instead.

Anyway, these weren't 'casual talkers,' they were children. Their mother should have had the good sense to shut them up. The manager should have had the good sense to ask them to leave. I hope she had to refund more than our tickets, or else no one learned a lesson.

Except for me. It's easier to watch this damn stuff at home, and cheaper. Perhaps I'll just start waiting for Blu like most of my other friends.

DJ_Tet said:
Perhaps I'll just start waiting for Blu like most of my other friends.
While I'm more of a home movie guy, too, waiting specifically for Blu on something from Lucasfilm might require patience, considering how long it took for them to even get on board DVD.

Flynn

DJ_Tet said:
I'll try and remember that, I got behind early that's why Indy had to wait so long.

I think we might go to the drive-in and see it and Wall-E in a double screening instead.

Anyway, these weren't 'casual talkers,' they were children. Their mother should have had the good sense to shut them up. The manager should have had the good sense to ask them to leave. I hope she had to refund more than our tickets, or else no one learned a lesson.

Except for me. It's easier to watch this damn stuff at home, and cheaper. Perhaps I'll just start waiting for Blu like most of my other friends.

I think many moms wait to take their chatty kids to movies when the audience will be significantly thinner. It's considerate in a kinda backwards way.

Don't go expecting the Wall-E audience to be silent, though. I saw the movie opening night and there were tons of kids. You just can't keep them quiet.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Flynn said:
I think many moms wait to take their chatty kids to movies when the audience will be significantly thinner. It's considerate in a kinda backwards way.

Don't go expecting the Wall-E audience to be silent, though. I saw the movie opening night and there were tons of kids. You just can't keep them quiet.

I saw Speed Racer at a matinee. I don't want my rant to come off like I'm some old douchebag who can't tolerate kids or audience participation. This wasn't that. It was flat out conversation, shouting so her friend could hear her OVER the movie, and constant chattering for the 45 min which I could stomach it.

If a mom was trying to be considerate, she would have noticed the several audience members giving her death-glares, shooshing, and the one who actually came up to her and had a conversation.

I was fuming and I should have given her a piece of my mind when she got pulled out of the theater.

Flynn

DJ_Tet said:
I saw Speed Racer at a matinee. I don't want my rant to come off like I'm some old douchebag who can't tolerate kids or audience participation. This wasn't that. It was flat out conversation, shouting so her friend could hear her OVER the movie, and constant chattering for the 45 min which I could stomach it.

If a mom was trying to be considerate, she would have noticed the several audience members giving her death-glares, shooshing, and the one who actually came up to her and had a conversation.

I was fuming and I should have given her a piece of my mind when she got pulled out of the theater.

Yeah, didn't mean to imply that that mom was anything but rude. But I've seen some moms do that -- some theaters even have special screenings for them.

You'd love The Arclight in Los Angeles, they wield their ban hammer with a righteous fury.

Saw the movie early last month. I don't see how anyone could possibly justify the existence of that movie. Seriously. Was that all a joke? Perhaps the worst written film I've seen since Attack of the Clones.

The movie starts off well enough with the little drag race. Very nice camera work there (and throughout the film actually) but I couldn't help but notice the odd coloring. It seemed to work during that first feel-good-50s scene but once the action started it just looked out of place. Things were just too shiny.

Indy's introduction was so quick and non climatic I was simply shocked. And on a side note, how the fuck does a small group of Russian soldiers
infiltrate the Fort Knox of top secret US artifacts?
That was perhaps the first of many shaking-my-head moments in this movie. That entire warehouse scene was terrible. From the ridiculous lines to the stupid moments (like the magnetic cloud of bullets) I couldn't believe what I was seeing or hearing. And to top things off the whole atomic bomb thing...wow. What the fuck was that? I'm baffled as to how Spielberg or anyone else could possibly think this script was worth using.

Overall the first 3/4s of the movie seemed so damn disjointed and poorly planned. Mutt's intro was pretty bad as well, and once again felt rushed. The previous three Indy films all did a great job with the scenes that explain the mulligan yet here it was bogged down by horrible acting by Shia and a rather bored Ford, who seemed like he slept walked through most of the movie.

I remember hearing that the film wouldn't have any CG, and if I wasn't tired I'd dig up those Manabyte/Cheebs posts trying to convince people that everything in the first trailer was real (LOL). Actually it's rather prominent and obvious in many scenes. Most of the action scenes fall flat regardless of whether they feature CG or not though, especially the two scenes involving crazy looking savage people. Sigh. Outside of the atomic bomb shit the most over the top part is probably the "three drop" water ride. It manages to look worse than the one in Temple of Doom. In fact, the entire movie reminded me of ToD in terms of being over the top in every aspect to distract you from how empty the movie is.

I haven't even discussed the plot, which was too stupid to mention. Overall I thought this was 30 minutes of interesting film mixed into an hour and a half of stupidity. I actually liked the race to the temple, as well as the stuff that happens in the temple
(except the alien/spaceship fiasco, which I certainly didn't expect)
. Temple of Doom is better. At least it had Short Round and a particularly badass Indy. I went in expecting the film to at least top ToD. That expectation went out the window 10 minutes into the movie, from Blanchett's laughably hammy performance to this:

Mac: Sorry Jonesy, I'm in it for the money
Indy: I thought we were friends!

or whatever they said. My jaw fell open

Perhaps the main reason KOTCS strikes me as the inferior Jones movie is because it was in development/consideration for so long. 20 years later this is the best they could come up with? This was the script that Spielberg/Ford thought was worth renewing the franchise over? I usually don't hate on Lucas but I cannot fathom how he could think this was a good script. I didn't like the story but it was definitely interesting, and could have been done well; the whole crystal skull myth should have been a good foundation.

I think Spielberg is a great director who has flaws as most directors do. As I said, there are some very nice shots throughout the movie, and there's no denying he's still talented. But to me this is an issue of JUDGMENT. Spielberg had a front row seat to Lucas' fuck up of the Star Wars franchise. I don't understand why he'd willingly go along with fucking up Indy. It's not the greatest trilogy ever, but Raiders is definitely a classic movie and Last Crusade is great as well (and I'd imagine it'll mean more to people as they grow older). This sequel wasn't needed AT ALL. Last Crusade essentially did everything it tried to do.

bill0527

PhoenixDark said:
Saw the movie early last month. I don't see how anyone could possibly justify the existence of that movie. Seriously. Was that all a joke? Perhaps the worst written film I've seen since Attack of the Clones.

The movie starts off well enough with the little drag race. Very nice camera work there (and throughout the film actually) but I couldn't help but notice the odd coloring. It seemed to work during that first feel-good-50s scene but once the action started it just looked out of place. Things were just too shiny.

Indy's introduction was so quick and non climatic I was simply shocked. And on a side note, how the fuck does a small group of Russian soldiers
infiltrate the Fort Knox of top secret US artifacts?
That was perhaps the first of many shaking-my-head moments in this movie. That entire warehouse scene was terrible. From the ridiculous lines to the stupid moments (like the magnetic cloud of bullets) I couldn't believe what I was seeing or hearing. And to top things off the whole atomic bomb thing...wow. What the fuck was that? I'm baffled as to how Spielberg or anyone else could possibly think this script was worth using.

Overall the first 3/4s of the movie seemed so damn disjointed and poorly planned. Mutt's intro was pretty bad as well, and once again felt rushed. The previous three Indy films all did a great job with the scenes that explain the mulligan yet here it was bogged down by horrible acting by Shia and a rather bored Ford, who seemed like he slept walked through most of the movie.

I remember hearing that the film wouldn't have any CG, and if I wasn't tired I'd dig up those Manabyte/Cheebs posts trying to convince people that everything in the first trailer was real (LOL). Actually it's rather prominent and obvious in many scenes. Most of the action scenes fall flat regardless of whether they feature CG or not though, especially the two scenes involving crazy looking savage people. Sigh. Outside of the atomic bomb shit the most over the top part is probably the "three drop" water ride. It manages to look worse than the one in Temple of Doom. In fact, the entire movie reminded me of ToD in terms of being over the top in every aspect to distract you from how empty the movie is.

I haven't even discussed the plot, which was too stupid to mention. Overall I thought this was 30 minutes of interesting film mixed into an hour and a half of stupidity. I actually liked the race to the temple, as well as the stuff that happens in the temple
(except the alien/spaceship fiasco, which I certainly didn't expect)
. Temple of Doom is better. At least it had Short Round and a particularly badass Indy. I went in expecting the film to at least top ToD. That expectation went out the window 10 minutes into the movie, from Blanchett's laughably hammy performance to this:

Mac: Sorry Jonesy, I'm in it for the money
Indy: I thought we were friends!

or whatever they said. My jaw fell open

Perhaps the main reason KOTCS strikes me as the inferior Jones movie is because it was in development/consideration for so long. 20 years later this is the best they could come up with? This was the script that Spielberg/Ford thought was worth renewing the franchise over? I usually don't hate on Lucas but I cannot fathom how he could think this was a good script. I didn't like the story but it was definitely interesting, and could have been done well; the whole crystal skull myth should have been a good foundation.

I think Spielberg is a great director who has flaws as most directors do. As I said, there are some very nice shots throughout the movie, and there's no denying he's still talented. But to me this is an issue of JUDGMENT. Spielberg had a front row seat to Lucas' fuck up of the Star Wars franchise. I don't understand why he'd willingly go along with fucking up Indy. It's not the greatest trilogy ever, but Raiders is definitely a classic movie and Last Crusade is great as well (and I'd imagine it'll mean more to people as they grow older). This sequel wasn't needed AT ALL. Last Crusade essentially did everything it tried to do.

I pretty much agree with all of your points except for the ones about Harrison Ford sleepwalking through the movie.

In all honesty, I thought he was the only one acting like he really gave a shit about the whole thing. He seemed to be the only one giving much of an effort for the whole project. He worked out for months before shooting and looked pretty damn buff for a guy in his 60's. He brought a lot of energy to an extremely poor script and screenplay. He made the movie watchable for me, but the end result was only watchable once. I'll be skipping the DVD/Blu-Ray release for this one as its not worthy to be sitting on the same shelf as the other three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom