• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Rottenwatch/Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gary Whitta said:
Not really. Have spoken to Frank a few times (his script for Fahrenheit 451 is amazing, btw) but never asked about that. All I know is that Spielberg and Ford both loved it but Lucas didn't, which for me is a strong indication that it's the one they should have made. If Lucas proved anything with the Star Wars prequels it's that any instincts he may once have had about good storytelling have long since disappeared.

Dude, take the advice here and simply stop posting. You have the lucky break to write a big fucking movie and you are being an absolute ass. You are in hollywood and hollywood is all about relationships. What you write here can come back and own you BADLY. Get over yourself, get over your opinion, and accept that you shoudn't be talking.

Tomorrow if Speilberg or Lucas got you to write something for him you'd go crazy for the oppurtunity. All you are doing is fucking it up for yourself and making it look like you have no respect for the abilities and heritage of two of the main founders of genre filmmaking as it is today.

And really, Frank Darabont is the last person to be in love with. It isn't like that guy hasn't made his share of crap films. And he is one to talk getting most of his early work from Lucas's checkbook.

Other people can talk say what they want but you have the MOST to lose here.

artist

Banned
Cheebs said:
Next week's will be interesting to see. Apparently Jones is tracking to do 150-175 mil' for the long memorial day weekend.

At worst it will be 2008's first movie to make more than 100 million it's opening weekend (Iron Man missed the mark barely)
So this is BIG box office bomb according to Cheebs and his trackers ..

Flynn

Warm Machine said:
making it look like you have no respect for the abilities and heritage of two of the main founders of genre filmmaking as it is today.

Give me a break. The guy's allowed to have an opinion.

Also: Their abilities should be questioned. They make crap movies now.

Christopher

Warm Machine said:
Dude, take the advice here and simply stop posting. You have the lucky break to write a big fucking movie and you are being an absolute ass. You are in hollywood and hollywood is all about relationships. What you write here can come back and own you BADLY. Get over yourself, get over your opinion, and accept that you shoudn't be talking.

Tomorrow if Speilberg or Lucas got you to write something for him you'd go crazy for the oppurtunity. All you are doing is fucking it up for yourself and making it look like you have no respect for the abilities and heritage of two of the main founders of genre filmmaking as it is today.

And really, Frank Darabont is the last person to be in love with. It isn't like that guy hasn't made his share of crap films. And he is one to talk getting most of his early work from Lucas's checkbook.

:lol holy fucking shit - what is the shit that I am reading here? Gary please post even more.

Amir0x

Banned
Warm Machine said:

WizzityOW.

Great success Mr. Whitta, Indiana Jones IV existence justified :lol

Solo

brandonh83 said:
For those complaining about John Williams' score... uhm... I'll admit it may be hard to pick it up while watching the movie but there ARE several new memorable themes especially when you hear them on the soundtrack. Mutt has a great theme. Spalko has a great villain theme. And there's a very creepy motif he wrote for the crystal skull. It's not John's best soundtrack ever but it's far, far from bad. The jungle chase music also kicks a whole lot of ass.

But its like others including myself have said - there is nothing that jumps out as memorable that leaves you humming in long after the movie passes. Like, Raiders has the obvious Raider's March, and even Temple and Crusade, while not favorites of mine, have awesome Williams scores (the slave-children theme in Temple and the grail/father-son theme in Crusade are unforgettable). The only memorable cues are the ones he reused from the older movies.

Jesus christ @ that quoted post. Yes, Im sure GAF is going to cause Akira to bomb in retribution for Gary not joining in the mass Indy fappage. We need to get over ourselves if we think GAF means jack squat in the big picture. Keep fighting the good fight, Gary!

Solo said:
But its like others including myself have said - there is nothing that jumps out as memorable that leaves you humming in long after the movie passes. Like, Raiders has the obvious Raider's March, and even Temple and Crusade, while not favorites of mine, have awesome Williams scores (the slave-children theme in Temple and the grail/father-son theme in Crusade are unforgettable). The only memorable cues are the ones he reused from the older movies.
Raiders had:
- The Raiders March
- Marion's theme
- The Ark's theme
- The basket chase music
- The music leading up to Indy getting the idol *rubs face and prepares hands to grab the idol*

etc.

Pretty much all the music in Raiders was memorable and appropriate. Yeah, it wasn't understated in the least, but it was damn appropriate for Indiana Jones.

Did any music in Crystal Skull approach the brilliance of the map room's music? Hell naw

OpinionatedCyborg said:
Raiders had:
- The Raiders March
- Marion's theme
- The Ark's theme
- The basket chase music
- The music leading up to Indy getting the idol *rubs face and prepares hands to grab the idol*

etc.

Pretty much all the music in Raiders was memorable and appropriate. Yeah, it wasn't understated in the least, but it was damn appropriate for Indiana Jones.

Did any music in Crystal Skull approach the brilliance of the map room's music? Hell naw

I love all of the soundtracks, and though I feel that Skull is definitely the weakest of the four (especially during the film itself), I have to say that after picking the official OST for it and listening for a while, I really like it. Definitely a more 40s-50s B-movie feeling to it...reminds me of Frank Waxman's Rebecca music in ways. And you missed listing the awesome desert truck chase theme from Raiders. That and Poledouris' Conan theme are great and powerful serious action tracks.

Flynn

JDSN said:
Isnt Dicaprio friends with Spielberg?
Uh oh Garry is fucked!

What's the DiCaprio connection? I know he's a friend of comics -- helped American Splendor get made, hangs with old underground guys thanks to his stepdad and whatnot.

Mifune

Mehmber
MightyHedgehog said:
I love all of the soundtracks, and though I feel that Skull is definitely the weakest of the four (especially during the film itself), I have to say that after picking the official OST for it and listening for a while, I really like it. Definitely a more 40s-50s B-movie feeling to it. And you missed listing the awesome desert truck chase theme from Raiders. That and Poledouris' Conan theme are great and powerful serious action tracks.

Not to mention the awesome Motorcycle Scherzo from The Last Crusade. Hell, even the cue he wrote for the tank chase was memorable.

Solo

Flynn said:
What's the DiCaprio connection? I know he's a friend of comics -- helped American Splendor get made, hangs with old underground guys thanks to his stepdad and whatnot.

Leo is set to star in Akira, which Gary is writing, I think.

MightyHedgehog said:
I love all of the soundtracks, and though I feel that Skull is definitely the weakest of the four (especially during the film itself), I have to say that after picking the official OST for it and listening for a while, I really like it. Definitely a more 40s-50s B-movie feeling to it. And you missed listing the awesome desert truck chase theme from Raiders. That and Poledouris' Conan theme are great and powerful serious action tracks.
I'll get around to checking it out. I'm sure I'll probably enjoy it like you, but very little of it stood out as being memorable in the theatre.

FunkyMunkey said:
That's quite a valid rebuttal you have there.

Oh wait, it's not.
Okay, here's my rebuttal. I have the utmost respect for both Spielberg and Lucas - together they've made some of my all-time favorite movies - but despite this, I thought Indy 4 sucked hard. So does almost everyone I know. I enjoy posting on this board and since I feel strongly about how hard Indy 4 sucked I'm happy to post my feelings openly and roll the dice that Spielberg and Lucas aren't secret GAFers.

Solo

Gary Whitta said:
He's an executive producer, the stuff about him starring in it is just internet rumor.

Ah, cool beans. Briefly, whats' Akira about, Gary? Like Speed Racer, I have no knowledge of the anime.

Amir0x

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Okay, here's my rebuttal. I have the utmost respect for both Spielberg and Lucas - together they've made some of my all-time favorite movies - but despite this, I thought Indy 4 sucked hard. So does almost everyone I know. I enjoy posting on this board and since I feel strongly about how hard Indy 4 sucked I'm happy to post my feelings openly and roll the dice that Spielberg and Lucas aren't secret GAFers.

seriously I'm dying here, these people are actually angry that you - an ESTABLISHED HOLLYWOOD SCREENWRITER - would dare bash a movie made by fellow people in the industry.

Funniest few pages on GAF in weeks :lol

Amir0x said:
seriously I'm dying here, these people are actually angry that you - an ESTABLISHED HOLLYWOOD SCREENWRITER - would dare bash a movie made by fellow people in the industry.

I don't think there is 'these people' so much as one ridiculously misinformed person.

Mato

Just came back, I liked it quite a lot, a worthy sequel imo. What bugs me though is that it was one of these movies that you are not sure if the main part of the movie has began or if there's more to come. It's like there wasn't a satisfying intro/begining to the movie althouth I did enjoy the warehouse scene. Also for some reason I felt as if there weren't enough characters or crowds in the film. It felt strangely isolated. Dunno, maybe I'm just depressed.

pitt_norton

Amir0x said:

It's more like AN ESTABLISHED HOLLYWOOD SCREENWRITER currently working on a NEEDLESS HOLLYWOOD REMAKE of a JAPANESE ANIME CLASSIC...

pitt_norton said:
It's more like AN ESTABLISHED HOLLYWOOD SCREENWRITER currently working on a NEEDLESS HOLLYWOOD REMAKE of a JAPANESE ANIME CLASSIC...
I think when the movie comes out I may need to ask the mods for a temporary ban :lol

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
So is this film shit? I've got some friends who have gone to watch it this weekend and, since I know that any film touched by the hand of George Lucas within the last 15 years (possible longer) must be utter donkey shit, I want to be able to justify my displeasure at them if they think it was any good...or nod in approval if they report back saying it was the donkey shit that one should have expected.

SantaC

MrSardonic said:
So is this film shit? I've got some friends who have gone to watch it this weekend and, since I know that any film touched by the hand of George Lucas within the last 15 years (possible longer) must be utter donkey shit, I want to be able to justify my displeasure at them if they think it was any good...or nod in approval if they report back saying it was the donkey shit that one should have expected.

it's shit. Think star wars episode II shit.

Solo

Screw however many hundreds of millions of dollars this movie makes this weekend; what I am interested to see is next weekend's drops, given that there seem to be equal numbers of people who loved and hated it.

EDIT: oh, come on. I hate Indy IV but its nowheres near as appalling awful as Attack of the Clones.

Sapiens

Gary Whitta said:
I think when the movie comes out I may need to ask the mods for a temporary ban :lol

On a serious note Gary, I'm counting on you to at least write an understandable film version of Akira. I still can't tell what's going on in that movie; what a piece of shit.

Gui_PT

I think this Indiana Jones has been Star Wars'd
As in... What George Lucas did to the new Star Wars episodes

My heart is brokeded =\

SantaC said:
it's shit. Think star wars episode II shit.
Not even close, while I can't even think of anyone I know who likes that movie, several people (including me) like Indy IV, even though it's not the best movie ever or anything. Shades of gray people, shades of gray.

SantaC

GitarooMan said:
Not even close, while I can't even think of anyone I know who likes that movie, several people (including me) like Indy IV, even though it's not the best movie ever or anything. Shades of gray people, shades of gray.

well there are people who like episode II also. I even know some.

Amir0x

Banned
yeah I will give the Indy 4 fans credit, there's merit in places in this film. It's not a complete loss. It is not PREQUELOGY bad. Nothing in it is close to as awful as Episode II.

At that rate of trajectory of improvement of quality, we may finally get a straight up good film from George Lucas involvement in the year 3023.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Gary Whitta said:

And deny us the pleasure of the wrath of the fully operational whitta-star?!

I think you need temporary immunity when Akira opens.

SantaC

Solo said:
Episode II makes Crystal Skull look like Raiders.

speaking of the crystal skull,
I expected that the aliens atleast would reveal something interesting in the movie =/

Im gonna go see this so how much le'buff will I have to put up with.

Off topic but the Akira films being directed by the guy who made The Silent City It might not suck.

Amir0x said:
yeah I will give the Indy 4 fans credit, there's merit in places in this film. It's not a complete loss. It is not PREQUELOGY bad. Nothing in it is close to as awful as Episode II.

At that rate of trajectory of improvement of quality, we may finally get a straight up good film from George Lucas involvement in the year 3023.

Not only that, unlike the PREQUELOGY, it bears little to no effect on the quality Indy films. Indy 4 does not make Indy a douchebag.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Sapiens said:
On a serious note Gary, I'm counting on you to at least write an understandable film version of Akira. I still can't tell what's going on in that movie; what a piece of shit.
If you don't understand Akira, you don't deserve Akira. The last thing anyone needs is for the live-action films to be dumbed down.

Sapiens

Dan said:
If you don't understand Akira, you don't deserve Akira. The last thing anyone needs is for the live-action films to be dumbed down.

:lol :lol

Akira is going to have a large-ish budget and is targeted from the start to have a front loaded money making weekend, so I hope to god they dumb it down for a pleb like me.

Are you trying to tell me the anime wasn't a total mess? It looked fantastic, which is why I watch it once in a while, but the story is totally stupid.

Amir0x

Banned
god what the hell do they have to make simpler to understand

I mean I'm not a MASSIVE FAN of Akira, but i thought it was reaaally easy to follow

Sapiens

What is it? The misuse of power? Science is bad?

TETSUSOOSOSOSOSO

KEENNAAAAADDA!?

Is that it?

I didn't like the story in the anime at all.

But I don't think I've EVER seen better animation. I'm a bit of a special effects junkie.

Sapiens

Eriatarka said:
I really liked it...don't kill me Gaf.

You're not doing it right if you don't bait one side or the other and insult their intelligence.

You have to make it fun, this is GAF.

Amir0x

Banned
Eriatarka said:
I really liked it...don't kill me Gaf.

We're not here to kill those who liked it.

I wonder why every thread, it's like those on the dislike side and those on the like side cannot coexist. What happened to people having dissenting opinions, debating with passion and then realizing at the end of the day that we can't change each other's positions?

Every time any thread, why I or someone else is criticizing some film or game, it's like the people who love it are reading their kryptonite. Vice versa too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom