• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Rottenwatch/Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Cheebs said:
Isnt that what his hbo series is for?

He keeps saying stuff like "it'll be the godfather of star wars" and how "dark and gritty" it will be and so on.

Ive heard this from Lucas before. I dont think he understands what dark or gritty actually mean. I remember him saying how "dark" the prequels would be.

:lol

Solo said:
Star Wars has kept him in riches since the 70's. Youre never too old to care about that. He'll return to that cash cow, er, franchise, once more before entering the pearly gates, Im sure of it.
This is quite an ignorant statement. Do you realize how many people out there are in love with Star Wars and want to see as much of it as possible? Do you think George Lucas really needs any more money? Do you realize how sick of Star Wars Lucas is by now?

Fuck man. Think about shit before you say it.

The Lamonster said:
This is quite an ignorant statement. Do you realize how many people out there are in love with Star Wars and want to see as much of it as possible? Do you think George Lucas really needs any more money?

You would be surprised.

Solo

The Lamonster said:
This is quite an ignorant statement. Do you realize how many people out there are in love with Star Wars and want to see as much of it as possible? Do you think George Lucas really needs any more money? Do you realize how sick of Star Wars Lucas is by now?

If my statement was ignorant, yours is naive. Also, anyone who saw episodes 1-3 hopefully fell out of love promptly.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
star wars as a series is in the same boat as the simpsons for many people, i think--you view the newer stuff like a terminally ill relative who's a shadow of their former self and now is nothing but a burden, and sometimes it's easy to forget what you ever liked about it in the first place. it breeds contempt. luckily, all the old stuff that was good still exists, and no amount of shitting around with new stories can undo that which is done.

Solo said:
So? What do the rich and powerful want? More riches and power.
I agree. But Lucas is a storyteller. Nobody seems to give him credit for that anymore, just because of Jar Jar. He makes movies for kids, and most of them turn out enjoyable for adults too. He's not some corporate shill that sits in the board room and asks, "how can we milk these Star Wars/Indy fans this year?"

If they just wanted more money this would have been released years ago. Took them forever to finally decide on a script. And I don't think Spielberg would have made this movie if he didn't want to. People are out for Lucas' blood no matter what.

Cheebs

brandonh83 said:
If they just wanted more money this would have been released years ago. Took them forever to finally decide on a script. And I don't think Spielberg would have made this movie if he didn't want to. People are out for Lucas' blood no matter what.
A film that starts with the Lucasfilm logo will automatically cause a division in the audience. Fairly or unfairly.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
lucas earns every drop of hate that he gets. he comes across as a pompous, self-righteous ass in interviews, and nothing he's made in years has been worth burning to stay warm in a blizzard.

Cheebs said:
A film that starts with the Lucasfilm logo will automatically cause a division in the audience. Fairly or unfairly.

I'm just saying, with everything they do, people just point fingers and assume shit as if they know Lucas or Spielberg personally. I'm not trying to damage control or stand up for Lucas, I mean I couldn't give two shits even though I think he's a cool guy and has made some awesome fucking movies, I just think it's hilarious and pretty sad how people act toward the guy.

I saw Lucas walk into a bank today. Probably just there for money.

Cheebs

brandonh83 said:
I'm just saying, with everything they do, people just point fingers and assume shit as if they know Lucas or Spielberg personally. I'm not trying to damage control or stand up for Lucas, I mean I couldn't give two shits even though I think he's a cool guy and has made some awesome fucking movies, I just think it's hilarious and pretty sad how people act toward the guy.

I saw Lucas walk into a bank today. Probably just there for money.
I feel bad for the hate Lucas gets on the internet. He has made some very questionable film decisions but in all the making of doc's and audio commentaries I have seen him in he seems to be a likable guy who loves movies

Cheebs said:
I feel bad for the hate Lucas gets on the internet. He has made some very questionable film decisions but in all the making of doc's and audio commentaries I have seen him in he seems to be a likable guy who loves movies

I agree with the post completely, including the bolded part. I've never seen him act like or come off as an asshole. All he's did is contribute insane technological advances to cinema in addition to making movies that a great number of people enjoy. What a dick.

Anyway this movie may not get the same level of hate as The Phantom Menace but I do suspect it'll be a somewhat familiar affair.

Solo

brandonh83 said:
I'm just saying, with everything they do, people just point fingers and assume shit as if they know Lucas or Spielberg personally.

Yeah, but there is also the flipside of this. People who vigorously defend anything and everything Lucas does, even if its an unquestionably terrible decision.

Also, if by TPM "level of hate" you mean $400M domestic, than Im sure Lucas and Spielberg could suffer though such hatred.

lucas' post internet-age work will never be accepted. the internet is 98% consisted of Comic Book Guy drones who will bitch and moan because the movie that comes out today isn't the same one that came out in 1984 when he was 12. i'm not even going to read the cannes reviews because i know a lot of the reviewers are in that same demographic. really, its whatever. there's really no way to tell from the internet when it comes to lucas.

Tyrone Slothrop said:
lucas' post internet-age work will never be accepted. the internet is 98% consisted of Comic Book Guy drones who will bitch and moan because the movie that comes out today isn't the same one that came out in 1984 when he was 12. i'm not even going to read the cannes reviews because i know a lot of the reviewers are in that same demographic. really, its whatever. there's really no way to tell from the internet when it comes to lucas.
And the flip side of this is in video games, where Mario Kart Wii or Halo 3 gets slammed by the internet geeks because it's too similar to past iterations.

Cheebs

Entertainment Weekly Review:
It's a measure of the unique panache of the aging guy in the fedora that people started lining up hours ahead in the full midday Cannes sun for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. And in the few moments of silence and dark screen before the Lucasfilm logo appeared, uncontainable devotees in the balcony began singing the famous four-note theme — dahhh-di-duh DAH — that's as much a part of the Indy experience as the expectation of a bullwhip well used.

I felt like singing, too. And I burst out in a laugh of pleasure when Henry Jones II first appears — rumpled, grimy, his gray hair thinning, within sight of his iconic topper but not within reach. (Indy has been kidnapped by Russians posing as U.S. military personnel in the New Mexico desert — long story — and brought to the feet of Cate Blanchett, in rich Natasha Badanov mode as a Soviet mind-control expert in hot pursuit of the title skull.) There's joy and a middle-aged playfulness to the best of Steven Spielberg's unlikely sequel. And I mean that as a full compliment: All the movieman's themes are here, his interests, obsessions, trademark strengths as a cinematic storyteller, and Spielbergian "tells," too, with hubcap and sideview mirror reflections dating back over 35 years to Duel.

Harrison Ford? Terrific — and re-energized after too many recent action roles he has appeared to sourly resent. This older, creakier (but still spry) adventure hero wears his worldly wryness with even greater earned authority. Shia LaBeouf? Inspired, channeling one-half James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause, the other half Spielbergian Everyson.

The "but" that dangles in this instant reaction (a longer, more archaeological review will follow) is that The Crystal Skull threatens at times to crumble under the weight of all the impersonal zigging and zagging loaded on for the sake of special effects. The precious ancient cranium itself — where it came from, how to keep it out of the hands of the Russkies and get it to where it belongs — is of little interest, no matter how many waterfalls loom, monkeys swing, and locks unmesh. The first bravura action sequence is kickass, the 11th or 12th is industrial filler that makes swaths of the two-hour running time drag.

I love Indy, and his long-lost son, and Karen Allen as his rediscovered old flame, Marion Ravenwood, too. As with every Spielberg movie, family psychology drives the story, while skeletons, extra-terrestrials, jungle tribesmen, and foreign villains make the most noise. I get the rudimentary, mass-audience political jokes and allusions, from the bomb-shelter-era quaintness of old-style Russkies to the tweedy dean who says, "I barely recognize this country anymore." I also think time has not dulled Indy's survival instincts, but neither has it inspired any risk-taking on the part of the franchise-owners.
This is a 90-minute story pumped up to 123 minutes, not so much on steroids as on Frappucino, and the chance sing the old four-note tune again.

They seemed to enjoy it but oddly complain a bit that they didnt take enough risks so its too much like the old ones which IMO is a odd complaint.

Solo said:
Yeah, but there is also the flipside of this. People who vigorously defend anything and everything Lucas does, even if its an unquestionably terrible decision.

It's true that I like the prequels, but I do have problems with them. Not so much with Episode III but the other two definitely have problems. I have no reason to vigorously defend anyone I don't know personally but I really do think the guy has done a lot of good for movies, and when the prequels came out and many hated them they took it to a personal level with such statements as "he ruined my childhood!" and this and that. I just find that rather silly and immature.

Also, if by TPM "level of hate" you mean $400M domestic, than Im sure Lucas and Spielberg could suffer though such hatred.

No it was obviously a box office success. I'm talking about what people think of the movie. I just think it'll be along the same lines as the prequels-- not as bad, but in the ballpark.

Solo

From that review:

"This is a 90-minute story pumped up to 123 minutes."

Why? I really hate this about modern movies in general. If the movie can get where it needs to in 90 minutes, then it should be a 90 minute movie! Dont pad another 30 minutes of superfluous stuff in there for no reason. Ive said it before, and Ill no doubt say it again, but there are far too many decent 2 hour movies released today that could be great ones if they were trimmed by 15-20 minutes.

STOP BLOATING UP MY MOVIES, HOLLYWOOD!

Solo said:
From that review:

Why? I really hate this about modern movies in general. If the movie can get where it needs to in 90 minutes, then it should be a 90 minute movie! Dont pad another 30 minutes of superfluous stuff in there for no reason. Ive said it before, and Ill no doubt say it again, but there are far too many decent 2 hour movies released today that could be great ones if they were trimmed by 15-20 minutes.

Well Speed Racer was received the same way, a lot of people thought it needed a lot of trimming but when the characters and atmosphere of it all is as good as it is, to me it can last longer than it maybe should depending on how good it is.

Cheebs

Lucas knows how to get audiences in the seat. I don't think anyone questions Lucas's ability to be able to appeal to audiences. He has mastered the art of marketing a summer blockbuster over the years.

Also Indiana Jones is the type of movie that could easily be 90 minutes. There is very very little character devolpment, but the Indy movies, including this one tend to be an excuse for Spielberg and Lucas to come up with absurd action scenes and fit them all in. An extra half-hour is an extra 2 action pieces for Spielberg to invent.

Seth C

Solo said:
From that review:

Agreed. When I was younger and watching on VHS it seemed like almost every movie was in the 90-100 minute range.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm totally jazzed to see the movie, but if it's enjoyable, i'll presume it's in spite of lucas's involvement, not because of it.

Cheebs

beelzebozo said:
i'm totally jazzed to see the movie, but if it's enjoyable, i'll presume it's in spite of lucas's involvement, not because of it.
To be fair to Lucas he did invent the character ;)

But honestly, I mean what in the world does Lucas do on set anyway? In all the set photos he is always wandering around but I have no clue what he does.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
that's totally true, man, and i will be the first to give lucas his props for doing some great stuff once. but the sun has set on his being creatively responsible for things that are great.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Solo said:
From that review:

I have the exact opposite feeling. I actually noticed how much was cut in The Simpsons Movie. When Homer was going back to Springfield, I asked myself, how did he get back there? Same thing in The Devil Wears Prada, where the links between scenes seemed to be missing.

After watching the deleted scenes, I actually found them to add much to the flow of the story. With ADD kids, I guess I'm in the minority that want a cohesive story.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
The Lamonster said:
I agree. But Lucas is a storyteller. Nobody seems to give him credit for that anymore, just because of Jar Jar. He makes movies for kids, and most of them turn out enjoyable for adults too. He's not some corporate shill that sits in the board room and asks, "how can we milk these Star Wars/Indy fans this year?"

:lol I hope you are joking? Why do you think that Lucas wanted to keep rights to Star Wars and not be subsidised, for merchandising! There was even a spoof about that in Spaceballs.

Solo

Im not talking about cutting stuff out of movies that needs to be in there, just for the sake of hitting some arbitrary 90 minute limit. Im talking about leaving shit in there that should be cut, which does nothing but act as pace-killing bloat.

Basically, what I am trying to say in its simplest form is that movies should be as long as they need to be, and not a minute longer. Seven Samurai is almost 4 hours, and I wouldnt chop a single frame from it. Conversely, Peter Jackson's King Kong is 3 hours, and it has no reason to be longer than 100 minutes.

Cheebs

JeFfRey said:
:lol I hope you are joking? Why do you think that Lucas wanted to keep rights to Star Wars and not be subsidised, for merchandising! There was even a spoof about that in Spaceballs.
When he got all those rights that was waaaay before Star Wars was a hit. No one thought it'd be huge, not even Lucas.

Solo said:
Im not talking about cutting stuff out of movies that needs to be in there, just for the sake of hitting some arbitrary 90 minute limit. Im talking about leaving shit in there that should be cut, which does nothing but act as pace-killing bloat.

Basically, what I am trying to say in its simplest form is that movies should be as long as they need to be, and not a minute longer.
I highly expect Indy IV to be longer than it needs to be. There will be at least 3 action pieces I bet that don't move the plot at all, but that doesn't mean they wont be fun.

Cheebs

SpacLock said:
When will these reviews start pouring into Rottentomatoes.
Most of these cannes reviews are "un-official" without final scores. I doubt we'll see many technical reviews with points assigned till like the day it opens.

Solo said:
Basically, what I am trying to say in its simplest form is that movies should be as long as they need to be, and not a minute longer. Seven Samurai is almost 4 hours, and I wouldnt chop a single frame from it. Conversely, Peter Jackson's King Kong is 3 hours, and it has no reason to be longer than 100 minutes.

Definitely about King Kong... wow. It's the most unnecessarily lengthy movie I've ever seen.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
The Lamonster said:
Right, it's not like he still has money coming in from Lucasfilm, Lucasarts, ILM, THX etc...:lol

You know how much he goes through yearly in beard maintenance? It's custom engineered by best Columbian scientists.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
What I'm most concerned about in all these early reviews are all the "callbacks" that so many of them mention. Callbacks in sequels are generally cringe-worthy, and show a lack of respect for your audience.

This is something that the Pirates trilogy was WAY too over-the-top with, too.

"LOL remember the dog that had the keys in it's mouth?"

"LOL the rum is still gone."

etc etc etc. The movie is FULL of this, and it bothers me to no end. If Indy 4 stoops to this level to a significant degree, I'll be very disappointed.

One thing that Indy 2 and Indy 3 got very right, even if they failed on others ways, was HOW to be a sequel. To be a sequel you don't need to make dozens of winking references to previous installments. You just need to take your protagonist and put him in a new situation... let the adventure unfold.

GDJustin said:
What I'm most concerned about in all these early reviews are all the "callbacks" that so many of them mention. Callbacks in sequels are generally cringe-worthy, and show a lack of respect for your audience.

This is something that the Pirates trilogy was WAY too over-the-top with, too.

"LOL remember the dog that had the keys in it's mouth?"

"LOL the rum is still gone."

etc etc etc. The movie is FULL of this, and it bothers me to no end. If Indy 4 stoops to this level to a significant degree, I'll be very disappointed.

One thing that Indy 2 and Indy 3 got very right, even if they failed on others ways, was HOW to be a sequel. To be a sequel you don't need to make dozens of winking references to previous installments. You just need to take your protagonist and put him in a new situation... let the adventure unfold.

I don't mind a few nods to prior adventures but I'm hoping it doesn't get too out of control. Hopefully they don't become to distracting.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
DoctorWho said:
I don't mind a few nods to prior adventures but I'm hoping it doesn't get too out of control. Hopefully they don't become to distracting.

Yeah. I mean Indy 2 has it with him reaching for his gun when the knife guys show up, and Indy 3 has it when he mentions the ark. So, it's in the pedigree, to a certain extent. But that's ONE winking reference per film... sounds like CS is full of them, according to these early reviews.

SpacLock

I wonder if it would have been a good idea to film both Indy 4 and 5 back to back without a cliff hanger in between. Still two different stories. Keep Harrison in shape!

Link Man

Banned
beelzebozo said:
star wars as a series is in the same boat as the simpsons for many people, i think--you view the newer stuff like a terminally ill relative who's a shadow of their former self and now is nothing but a burden, and sometimes it's easy to forget what you ever liked about it in the first place. it breeds contempt. luckily, all the old stuff that was good still exists, and no amount of shitting around with new stories can undo that which is done.
You forget that Lucas is a fan of revisionist history. ;)

GDJustin said:
Yeah. I mean Indy 2 has it with him reaching for his gun when the knife guys show up, and Indy 3 has it when he mentions the ark. So, it's in the pedigree, to a certain extent. But that's ONE winking reference per film... sounds like CS is full of them, according to these early reviews.

I'd argue that Last Crusade is one giant winking reference to Raiders. While that might be stretching it, it certainly has some qualities. Look, it's Sallah! Look, it's Marcus! Speaking of which, can someone tell me why they turned Marcus into a doofus? He went from a guy that wished he was going after the ark himself to some clown they make fun of for getting lost in his own museum.

JdFoX187

Banned
Reading through the RT reviews, it seems as if they're all positive, but some just don't think it lives up to the hype. Which it's stupid to judge a movie based on its hype, but that's the world I guess.

Solo said:
Seven Samurai is almost 4 hours, and I wouldnt chop a single frame from it. Conversely, Peter Jackson's King Kong is 3 hours, and it has no reason to be longer than 100 minutes.
The whole final battle in Seven Samurai could have been half as long. I watched it again two months ago, and that final battle has not aged well at all.

But as for King Kong, you're talking about cutting 80 minutes off of its running time. I can't see that working at all. Almost every scene in that film is necessary.

Darko said:
Bullshit. King Kong was the best film of 2005.

Green Shinobi said:
The whole final battle in Seven Samurai could have been half as long. I watched it again two months ago, and that final battle has not aged well at all.

But as for King Kong, you're talking about cutting 80 minutes off of its running time. I can't see that working at all. Almost every scene in that film is necessary.

Bullshit. King Kong was the best film of 2005.

You actually think the incredibly long ride on the ship was necessary? I would have cut the majority of that crap out. Also, what was with the young deck hand? His story didn't progress at all. The superior original proves that the remake didn't need to be a 3 hour film.

DoctorWho said:
You actually think the incredibly long ride on the ship was necessary? I would have cut the majority of that crap out. Also, what was with the young deck hand? His story didn't progress at all. The superior original proves that the remake didn't need to be a 3 hour film.
You could probably have cut about 20 minutes from the ship ride. Maybe the scenes where they were just filming the movie. You can't cut out anything relating to the map or the actual course they take to the island. I agree that the shiphand wasn't as well developed in the second half of the movie as he should have been, considering how many scenes he was in during the first half. But you do need some extraneous characters, or else all the people who die on the island might as well be extras.

And I never do this, but

DoctorWho said:
The superior original
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom