• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March NPD Thread (The story? PS3 = weak, SW sales = insane)

Just as an aside to all this fun talk, I know GAF is all about the anti-microtransactions and all. But check out what is on this list:

Stopsign said:
PC

1) World Of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Expansion Pack - Vivendi - $3,345,464 grossed
3) The Sims 2 Seasons Expansion Pack - Electronic Arts
12) Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Shivering Isles Expansion Pack - 2K Games
15) The Sims 2 Pets Expansion Pack - Electronic Arts
16) Titan Quest: Immortal Throne Expansion Pack - THQ
19) The Sims 2 Nightlife Expansion Pack - Electronic Arts - $542,790 grossed

SIX expansion packs in the top 20 PC sales. And people wonder why Microsoft, Sony, and 3rd parties are going after marketplace-type things.

What amazes me even more is that half that list is just The Sims 2 packs. Wow.

I'm sad that Godfather didn't chart. And it's sad that SSX has underperformed. Still, 3rd party sales are doing solidly. Software is moving fairly briskly (though not close to 360s insane rates).

Jammy

Banned
:( Sad to see that the superior version of The Godfather didn't sell as well. I guess PS3 owners have less choice in what to buy?

GhaleonEB

Jesus. Halo 2 is still selling well.

70k in January, 50k in February, another 50k in March. 170,000 units this year.

Wow.

Edit: And the average sale price is still $30! 0_o

Berserker

13) Sonic And The Secret Rings - Wii
14) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Playstation 3

2) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - $4,463,276 grossed; 75,138 units sold

Means that Sonic sold over 75k this month. Didnt it also sell 88k or so last month. Not bad at all.

Dunpeal

Banned
Sony is in the shit.

MS keeps going with the Flow waiting for the best time to make a move.

Nintendo keeps seeing the green coming in.

Software sales for the 360 are amazing, and very very important for anyone that likes HD gaming.

Berserker said:

Means that Sonic sold over 75k this month. Didnt it also sell 88k or so last month. Not bad at all.

Actually, because SatSR is ten bucks cheaper than Oblivion and that chart is ranked by revenue, it definitely sold significantly higher than 75k. I'd guess it at 92-97k, if I had to.

Saitou

Banned
Berserker said:

It's ranked by $$$, not units sold. And SatSR is 10 bucks cheaper than Oblivion.

Yowza, baby.

edit: DAMN YOU SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Saitou said:
edit: DAMN YOU SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

HE STRIKES WITH THE FURY AND SPEED OF LIGHTNING

segata_s-1.gif

andthebeatgoeson

So, this is proof that a good 3rd party game on the Wii will sell if advertised and has drawing power? Hmm, I wonder if EA purposefully did that (ads for Tiger and not the others) as an experiment? Well, they have to be happy with sales. It shouldn't cost that much.

Is it still standard for the publisher to get 80% of the gross? I wonder if we can assume that $5 million would be the average for big ticket, non AAA games on Wii? Like can we assume that Tiger cost them less than $5 mill to make and they just made about $4 mil in one month? I don't know. I can only guess and speculate.

gollumsluvslave said:
Personally I hope the Elite is a complete bomb, and is utterly rejected, just to teach MS a lesson for being so utterly stupid. But at least initially I think it will sell OK, if in a frontloaded way (maybe everyone who wants an Elite will get it April/May, and after that it will simply be another Core - irrelevant in sales terms)

I need to ask why would you choose a Premium when for only $80 more you get an extra 100GB of space. I believe that the Premium will that the bigger hit. I actually believe the core gets the bigger boost out of the Elite. I can choose core now with a 64MB memory card for $340 then when I can afford it pickup the 120GB drive for $180. Easier for me to justify that then spending waiting to purchase a 20GB drive for $100. With this in place I do believe some people chose to wait for an Elite.

Jammy said:
:( Sad to see that the superior version of The Godfather didn't sell as well. I guess PS3 owners have less choice in what to buy?
Well, yeah, I suppose since PS3 has fewer games overall, listing 20 will end up with a higher percentage of all PS3 games listed. It's actually still within the realm of possibility that Godfather Wii outsold Godfather PS3. We know the PS3 one did more than 22,792 and that the Wii one did less than 25,347, but not much other than that.

gketter said:
it does if you don't know any better and are willing to be ripped off.

Otherwise it'll cost you $10 at monoprice.com

I guarantee you that more HDMI cables are sold at Best Buy than monoprice.com. Joe consumer has no clue to the monoprices of the world. When I was a teenager I purchase all my stereo equipment mail order from places in the backs of stereo magazines. I knew no one else that did that. I am also the only person I know that purchase thier plasma TV over the internet. Everyone else I know that has one has bought them at Tweeter, Best Buy, etc.

Using prices from the discounters online ignores where most purchases are made. That what most consumers will understand.

Klocker

KeithFranklin said:
I guarantee you that more HDMI cables are sold at Best Buy than monoprice.com. Joe consumer has no clue to the monoprices of the world. When I was a teenager I purchase all my stereo equipment mail order from places in the backs of stereo magazines. I knew no one else that did that. I am also the only person I know that purchase thier plasma TV over the internet. Everyone else I know that has one has bought them at Tweeter, Best Buy, etc.

Using prices from the discounters online ignores where most purchases are made. That what most consumers will understand.

yep

and when the average consumer at Best Buy sees the Sony HDMI cable hanging in the games department near his console choices for $59.99 retail, it will look like an even better deal.

Arde

Banned
Rayman Raving Rabbid's got legs, baby.

Sonic and Tiger Woods don't seem to stop anytime soon - poised to get bigger than 300K by April NPD?

Cooking Mama Cook:Off could use some ads although I think it's going strong just because of mouth to mouth sales.

Motorstorm and Oblivion is doing well for a system with a small userbase.

No comment on X360 and PS2 because software are always strong on those things.

Innotech

Banned
Its good to see SATSR on the chart. I love that game and I hope future sonics are like that one. Also I would hope motorstorm sold at least that well given the crazy amount of advertising for it. I think Ps3 should be alright software wise and possibly end up similar to how 360 sells software.

Stopsign said:
I love that game. I use to play as three of the hippos when I was little, for some reason, I always won.

Essentially, you are correct. Sony has to strike soon. They can't wait until late 2008 for their big guns to get out, and have a price of 400$. The longer they wait, the more support they lose from developers. You can already see the Wii and 360 picking up scraps from the system. 360 just recently got Ace Combat 6, Virtua Fighter 5, Beautiful Katamari, and Devil May Cry 4 from the PS3. That is a damn lot. The Wii announcements are picking up too, Nights 2, Snatcher 2, Boogie, and Dewy have all been recently announced. They need to have more than Home and Little Big Planet to make any head way back into their untouchable status of the PS2 era. The sad thing for Sony right now is that they can't drop the price right now, it would coming out of the frying pan, and into the fire. They would be losing way over 100$ on every sale, which really isn't a viable option right now, unless they had the amount of money Microsoft has.

I'm not saying Sony won't be able to pull this out, I still think they will do well this generation. Just not PS2 domination again. I would expect around 45-50 million worldwide for the PS3 during it's life time.

Much of the disbelief/shock is still in place because Sony has been #1 for 11 years now(I'd say 1995-October 2006). It's very hard to understand or even realize that the state of gaming has changed. Why aren't people buying PS3's? Is it just because of the price? Or is it because different types of gamers have emerged who just don't care about the platform? Wii's success is bringing a lot of reconsideration about the gaming industry. That always happens when the market leader changes(for even a short term period).

Odysseus

Banned
gamergirly said:
Much of the disbelief/shock is still in place because Sony has been #1 for 11 years now(I'd say 1995-October 2006). It's very hard to understand or even realize that the state of gaming has changed. Why aren't people buying PS3's? Is it just because of the price? Or is it because different types of gamers have emerged who just don't care about the platform? Wii's success is bringing a lot of reconsideration about the gaming industry. That always happens when the market leader changes(for even a short term period).

it's the price

not saying nintendo's strategy wouldn't have altered things somewhat, but it would be nowhere near as effective if microsoft and definitely sony weren't overshooting the mainstream with their systems. give microsoft some credit for building a good library, give nintendo some credit for reaching out, but if ps3 were a system built to be priced at $299, it would be another playstation-level success.

Tieno

GhaleonEB said:
Jesus. Halo 2 is still selling well.

70k in January, 50k in February, another 50k in March. 170,000 units this year.

Wow.

Edit: And the average sale price is still $30! 0_o
Heh, it would have still made the 360 top 10, beating lost planet.

Odysseus

Banned
Tieno said:
Heh, it would have still made the 360 top 10, beating lost planet.

given the fact the list is sorted on revenue, no it wouldn't ;)

but sales for halo 2 on xbox and god of war 1 on ps2 are still pretty darn spectacular, given their ages

It's interesting that Call of Duty is still there on the Wii chart. It's selling at a fairly steady clip... good controls ftw?

Also, look at Tiger and Sonc - both were advertised well, and both have sold well.

Matt

Well, what that list tells me is that Wii games sales are actually betterthen PS3 games sales, which is a far cry from what others were saying earlier in the thread...

LCGeek

formerly sane
Odysseus said:
it's the price

not saying nintendo's strategy wouldn't have altered things somewhat, but it would be nowhere near as effective if microsoft and definitely sony weren't overshooting the mainstream with their systems. give microsoft some credit for building a good library, give nintendo some credit for reaching out, but if ps3 were a system built to be priced at $299, it would be another playstation-level success.

And...

It's not like the warning to MS and Sony weren't on the door when they decided to force this gen upon consumers. They knew expensive consoles don't sell yet they decided putting the mid to high range of pcs was worth the risk to them. I'm certainly not going to give MS credit for making a good library, again that's their job are you suggesting that make a crappy library? Even if I was to give a pat on the back they still baby the gamepad players in fps games, they rammed microtranscations down our throat, and we are suppose to enjoying paying for live at this point? BTW if PS3 was a 300$, is this selling at a profit or loss? Your idea would make sony worse off not better. Sony didn't change anything with controller and depending on how much the system costs odds MS would be the performance king with a better archictecture and development platform. Sure sony gets a price point, but what they give up and would most likely lose isn't worth it.

No BR
No Lair
Half the ram
No RSX

I'm sure people could think of other things that would disapper.

derder

Wait.

If the Wii only sold 60k more systems than the 360 that month, why did I see fully stocked shelves of 360s and not a single Wii when I went to a store?

Odysseus

Banned
Hatorade said:
BTW if PS3 was a 300$, is this selling at a profit or loss? Your idea would make sony worse off not better. Sony didn't change anything with controller and depending on how much the system costs odds MS would be the performance king with a better archictecture and development platform. Sure sony gets a price point, but what they give up and would most likely lose isn't worth it.

No BR
No Lair
Half the ram
No RSX

I'm sure people could think of other things that would disapper.

a $300 ps3 wouldn't be the same system as the $600 version, no question. but it didn't need to be. sony could have easily designed something on or close to par with the 360 that they could sell for ~$300 without losing too much, certainly not losing as much as they are reportedly losing on ps3 now. they elected to go another route with cell, and they elected to forego settlement with toshiba for whatever reason on the hd format battle, presumably because they knew they had an ace in the hole with the ps3. what they gain (hd movie market) better more than offset what they will lose (gaming market), or else this is truly a fruitless endeavor.

derder said:
Wait.

If the Wii only sold 60k more systems than the 360 that month, why did I see fully stocked shelves of 360s and not a single Wii when I went to a store?

60K systems in a country not even 1/5 the size of the US is a BIG #.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
derder said:
Wait.

Because Microsoft massively overshipped in 2006, resulting in stores having pretty large stocks of 360s kicking around, whereas intendo doesn' have a single unit sitting in the backs of stores; everything goes from the shipping process right into the hands of consumers.

USD

Odysseus said:
given the fact the list is sorted on revenue, no it wouldn't ;)

but sales for halo 2 on xbox and god of war 1 on ps2 are still pretty darn spectacular, given their ages
My guess with God of War to is a resurge due to God of War 2, with people picking up both games, kind of how Kingdom Hearts 2 brought the first game back on the charts.

farnham

Banned
what happened to Sonic...

The Gamecube demographic ate this game up like crazy.. (i mean shadow sold like 400k)

Pretty dissapointing really.. especially considering its vastly superior to almost every sonic game in the recent years..

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
farnham said:
what happened to Sonic...

The Gamecube demographic ate this game up like crazy.. (i mean shadow sold like 400k)

Pretty dissapointing really.. especially considering its vastly superior to almost every sonic game in the recent years..

I wouldn't call almost 200k "pretty disappointing" given that you're talking about two months worth of sales on a 2 million unit install base.

farnham

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I wouldn't call almost 200k "pretty disappointing" given that you're talking about two months worth of sales on a 2 million unit install base.

sonic adventure 2 battle on GC sold so much (over 1 million if im correct)

Peter Moore (former COO of Sega America) said : "The strong sales numbers off the mark for 'Sonic Adventure 2 Battle' for Nintendo GameCube are a true testament to the star power of our legendary mascot, Sonic The Hedgehog, and to the strength of Sega as a third party developer and publisher,"

Arde

Banned
Any chance of Sonic beating Rayman Raving Rabbids? That game's pretty strong so far.
I think Tiger Woods is also hurting Sonic sales.

Odysseus

Banned
farnham said:

Peter Moore (former COO of Sega America) said : "The strong sales numbers off the mark for 'Sonic Adventure 2 Battle' for Nintendo GameCube are a true testament to the star power of our legendary mascot, Sonic The Hedgehog, and to the strength of Sega as a third party developer and publisher,"

yes, but that was 5 years ago

here are some questions i'm posing that i don't know the answer to:

how did subsequent titles do?
recent sonic games weren't reviewed so well, has the series been tarnished?
finally, how is this game, in terms of quality?

and then there's the whole "grandmas don't know sonic" angle, but it is perhaps early to jump to that conclusion.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
farnham said:

Given that The Magicbox has SA2B with a lifetime North American total of 1.14 million, and that the GC had US sales of ~11 million, the attach rate of SA2B over the lifetime of the Cube is roughly equal to the attach rate of SATSR on the Wii right now.

I'm not saying Sonic hasn't fallen from grace since the old days, but honestly almost 200k so far and basically no decline month-over-month is a good start.

If there's anything to be concerned about in terms of SATSR, it should be the pathetic Japanese sales.

Wii software is actually pretty good, even compared to the 360 behemoth. Consider this: The Wii has 5 games in the top 20. The 360 only has 6. The Wii's userbase in the USA is a third that of the 360.

It is the PS3 who has to more things to worry about, with the lagging hardware sales and lagging software sales doublepunch.

I also feel sad that Godfather Wii is not doing better than the shittier Godfather PS3, but I'm glad that Sonic and Tiger Woods doing good could send a message that supporting a game makes it sell well on a Nintendo platform.

Stumpokapow said:
If there's anything to be concerned about in terms of SATSR, it should be the pathetic Japanese sales.

Japan was never the land of Sonic.

jarrod

Banned
farnham said:
Not in a month and a half it didn't.

SA2B crawled past a million by selling consistantly over it's lifetime, especially after it hit budget release... It'd be nice if we could see Feb/March 2002 data for comparison (I'd bet it was under 300k).

Luckyman

Banned
farnham said:

Oh shit.. priceless.

Top Bottom