• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March NPD Thread (The story? PS3 = weak, SW sales = insane)

Eteric Rice

Bungalow Bob said:
Yes, the library will improve (and the price will come down).
But there´s one very important thing you have to take into consideration: Many people have bought (or are planning on buying) the PS3 because they expect it to have as amazing a library as its predecesors. As each month goes by, it´ll become obvious to more and more people that this will not be the case. So many of the people who right now figure they´ll get a Triple once it´s dropped to a certain price, or once they save up the money, will end up instead getting a Wii or a 360.

Not to mention that all the while, both the 360 and Wii will be getting titles also.

Even now, the Wii's library is growing at a quick rate. 90% of it may be crappy games, but it was the same with the PS2, and it's currently the same for the DS Lite (maybe more like 65% for the DS Lite).

The 360 and Wii won't pause and wait for the PS3 to catch up. And trust me when I say they're waiting for Sony to try to make a move. Once Sony does, both Nintendo and MS will likely drop one of their own games to counter it.

Console wars are a crazy thing.

I read today in an Aussie print magazine (PCPowerplay) that Intel is apparently working on an EIGHTY core processor which they plan to have ready for commercial use in about 5 - 7 years. You could have one core for each character on the screen. In the same article (it was about the future of insane "dream machine" tech) it also spoke about graphics cards with 1.5GB of video memory running in SLI, 22.2 surround sound (differing height levels for each speaker) and fibre optic internet running at something like 2GB/s (hello digital distribution!).

If this is an indication of where computer technology is headed, the "PS3 will be succesful in 3 or 4 years with price drops and great games" theory will not exactly hold true.

(Brackets are fun)

bananabread said:
I read today in an Aussie print magazine (PCPowerplay) that Intel is apparently working on an EIGHTY core processor which they plan to have ready for commercial use in about 5 - 7 years. You could have one core for each character on the screen. In the same article (it was about the future of insane "dream machine" tech) it also spoke about graphics cards with 1.5GB of video memory running in SLI, 22.2 surround sound (differing height levels for each speaker) and fibre optic internet running at something like 2GB/s (hello digital distribution!).

If this is an indication of where computer technology is headed, the "PS3 will be succesful in 3 or 4 years with price drops and great games" theory will not exactly hold true.

(Brackets are fun)

That's at least 107 days old.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070103-8543.html

Those are cool stuff, but...

[channels lapsed]The video game industry is not about technology, never was. It is still a form of entertainment first and foremost, and the race for technological supremacy will prove futile[/lapsed]

Neomoto

While Halo 2 performance fantastic, I would say that some titles in the gamecube top 10 are unbelievable. I mean, look at Super Smash Bros. Melee for example, released in december 2001 for **** sake! Still doing incredible numbers and at place 4 after all those years, while being a launch window game. Incredible. And then you have Mario Kart: Double Dash (november 2003) and Paper Mario (october 2004) also in the top 7. I guess you could say you have "legs" and you have "Nintendo legs" which are on a whole other level (not even mentioning DS ww and soon Wii).

jarrod

Banned
Luckyman said:
With 360/PS3 the costs are divided to two platforms. So which is more expensive to make, PS3-version of Def Jam or SSX Blur?
Er, considering Blur was just a tweaked up SSX3, I'm guessing the latter. ;)

There's really 2 tiers of viable machines for multplatports now; 360/PS3/PC or PS2/PSP/Wii. The latter being a much larger, much cheaper, much more mature market segment.

RobertM said:
Considereing the bad ports and games like Gundam Crossfire, they sure are.

If you look at Japanese sales for the Wii, the top 6 games are all Nintendo, below it are third party games with less than 228k sold. Same in US.
DQ Swords is sure to turn that around... meanwhile AAA PS3 franchises like Ridge Racer, Virtua Fighter and Musou are all selling a fraction what they were on PS2 or even PSP, and that doesn't look to be changing anytime soon...

Next stop, Mingol 5 @200-250k.

I love the xbox 360 elite

but not because of it's price, rather, my friend is buying one despite alreay have the 360 classic, and he's GIVING me and my brother his old one (or so he claims as of yesterday). thus, xbox 360 elite = free xbox 360 for me

:)

titiklabingapat said:
Those are cool stuff, but...

[channels lapsed]The video game industry is not about technology, never was. It is still a form of entertainment first and foremost, and the race for technological supremacy will prove futile[/lapsed]
Ah ****, not another lapsed groupie.

sypher said:
Sony should just accept third. Wii has this generation locked up. Nintendo was too smart this gen and outdid Sony.

Look at it this way:

480p is ONE SIXTH the resolution of 1080p. Therefore it should take ONE SIXTH the power of the PS3 to output the same game in 480p.

The PS3 has a 3.2Ghz CPU, and 512MB total RAM.
The Wii has a 1.0GHz CPU, and 88MB total RAM.

1/6 of 3.2GHz is about 533Mhz, which is half the speed of the Wii. 1/6 of 512MB is 85MB, which is less than what the Wii has.

So the Wii has enough memory, and twice the CPU power to properly run a PS3 game in 480p.

So, um...Deadmeat?

ylvis_

Banned
VultureDude said:
I love the xbox 360 elite

but not because of it's price, rather, my friend is buying one despite alreay have the 360 classic, and he's GIVING me and my brother his old one (or so he claims as of yesterday). thus, xbox 360 elite = free xbox 360 for me

:)

Who loves the 360 Elite because of its price?

PS360

Banned
sypher said:
Sony should just accept third. Wii has this generation locked up. Nintendo was too smart this gen and outdid Sony.

Look at it this way:

480p is ONE SIXTH the resolution of 1080p. Therefore it should take ONE SIXTH the power of the PS3 to output the same game in 480p.

The PS3 has a 3.2Ghz CPU, and 512MB total RAM.
The Wii has a 1.0GHz CPU, and 88MB total RAM.

1/6 of 3.2GHz is about 533Mhz, which is half the speed of the Wii. 1/6 of 512MB is 85MB, which is less than what the Wii has.

So the Wii has enough memory, and twice the CPU power to properly run a PS3 game in 480p.

Fine detective work there skipper. Now step away from the crack pipe.

Oh, a joke. I see it now.

Eteric Rice

I don't know if this came through here yet, but I found it on another message board.

39817d1177283134-ps3s-still-hard-find-phoenixwrightps3sales.gif

One reason why I love the internets.

GhaleonEB

Neomoto said:
While Halo 2 performance fantastic, I would say that some titles in the gamecube top 10 are unbelievable. I mean, look at Super Smash Bros. Melee for example, released in december 2001 for **** sake! Still doing incredible numbers and at place 4 after all those years, while being a launch window game. Incredible. And then you have Mario Kart: Double Dash (november 2003) and Paper Mario (october 2004) also in the top 7. I guess you could say you have "legs" and you have "Nintendo legs" which are on a whole other level (not even mentioning DS ww and soon Wii).
Did we get numbers on those, BTW? Their rank is amazing but just wondering how strong it is in absolute terms.

Eteric Rice

GhaleonEB said:
Did we get numbers on those, BTW? Their rank is amazing but just wondering how strong it is in absolute terms.

According to Wikipedia it's at 6 million copies sold. Don't know how true that is, though.

GhaleonEB

Eteric Rice said:
According to Wikipedia it's at 6 million copies sold. Don't know how true that is, though.
No, I mean how it sold last month. For example, Halo 2 did another 50k in March. That means it outsold it outsold Lost Planet last month, on LP's 3rd month on sale. (Halo 2 has sold 170k in the past three months.) Just wondering if the high chart position means it's actually selling those kind of numbers right now.

JMPovoa

It's incredible that while in general hardware sales plumetted in March it's problably due to some very different reasons.

Xbox360 had to deal with one main thing. The announcement of the Elite. Analysing the whole past year there should be no other real reason other than the Elite's annoucement for the Xbox360 selling below 200k in March '07. Looks like even all the negative opinions and press on it can't deal with the fact that the Elite will problably make a decent cut in April's sales. Of course it can be the complete opposite which i very much doubt, but still...

In the Wii's case it seems that it's due to supply problems.

PS3's problem is largely due to its price, even moreso than its current catalog of games.

Eteric Rice

crustybooger said:
what are the foh boards? o_O

A place once infested by disgruntled EverQuest players, lead by a guild leader that would bitch enough to get Sony to fix shit in the game.

It's now infested by disgruntled WoW players.

gljvd

Banned
TTP said:
And some game releases...

Sadly all of sony's franchises will release in 2008 . So at least for this year we wont see it do much better than its doing now outside of the holiday .

HS , Lair and other games of these types are new games and we really have no clue what their fan base will be or if the games are any good .

Meanwhile ms has a ton of new exclusive games themselves , more so than what sony is releasing this year I rekon .

Oh the 360 is also up to $300 less than the ps3 here in the states

Meh at the PS3 sales. Yeah they aren't great but at the same time, console sales usually arent great towards the summer and throughout. The way I see it, the PS3 hada 20% drop off in sales from the previous month while the Wii had a 39% drop off and the 360 had a 30% drop off. Sales slouches should be expected during this period even if great games were available, which they never usually are around this time for some odd reason.

It was the same last summer and the summer before that too. Great game releases seem to go away during the summer. Hopefully the releases this summer will be great enough to boost sales, (Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Spider-man 3, I'm looking at you)

Arde

Banned
Manberg900 said:
The way I see it, the PS3 had a 20% drop off in sales from the previous month while Nintendo supplied 39% less Wii systems for March and the 360 had a 30% drop off.
Fixed.

GhaleonEB

Manberg900 said:
Meh at the PS3 sales. Yeah they aren't great but at the same time, console sales usually arent great towards the summer and throughout. The way I see it, the PS3 hada 20% drop off in sales from the previous month while the Wii had a 39% drop off and the 360 had a 30% drop off. Sales slouches should be expected during this period even if great games were available, which they never usually are around this time for some odd reason.

It was the same last summer and the summer before that too. Great game releases seem to go away during the summer. Hopefully the releases this summer will be great enough to boost sales, (Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Spider-man 3, I'm looking at you)
All true when looking at percentages, but the absolute numbers for the PS3 are most important. It's just had two months of lower sales than the 360 - or PS2 - ever had. There have been some major releases in Oblivion, VF5 and Motorstorm, among others, and sales have been low.

You can certainly look at the lower drop for the PS3 as signs of relative strength, or that it's caused by Motorstorm selling hardware and then argue that all the PS3 needs is more of that. But in raw numbers, sales in Feb and March have been abysmal, regardless of the season. All through the summer last year the 360 never dropped below 200k. The PS3 is looking like it might drop below 100k - and the summer hasn't even started yet.

Top Bottom