• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March NPD Thread (The story? PS3 = weak, SW sales = insane)

quest

Not Banned from OT
DiatribeEQ said:
LOL. Nice one.

Anyhoo....

I'm not calling the overall phenomena that is the Wii anything less than a complete knockout punch for Nintendo. The "Wii Fad", is in reference to the fact that they (Nintendo) have been selling the machine to some traditionally "Non-Gamers" out there. While this is both a good thing, it is also a bad thing. It's good that it can rope in not only added console revenues, but also potential game sales from folks who thought themselves "Too Old" or thought all consoles were "For the kids only". Now they have some new blood in the arena. Hoo-Ray! But it's also bad in the sense that while it did get in some of that crowd, it can just as quickly die off as well for them. And that could hurt potential tie-in's for developer support.

For example: You sell 12 million Wii's in 2007 (100% likelihood at this point at the very least). But of that 12 million, possibly 2 million were part of the "Wii Fad" group....folks that bought it because the Wii was the "IT" item to get. Of that 2 million, 1 million bought the system, then never bought another game for it. This, then, hurts the software sales figures. Xbox360 has 5.7 games sold per system. At the end of this year, that number could be as high as 7. Wii currently has 3 games. But because of the "Wii Fad" group in there, where it could've been as high as 5-6, it only factors in a measilly 4. This in turn hurts developer support (not much by this case as there's already 12million+ consoles sold, 10% assuring support).

In the end, it's great to lure in "fresh blood" into the console scene, it really is. But it's almost as bad to lure in those that'll buy the system, but only because "everyone else was doing it..."

D.

Total software sales in the end is all the a publisher is going to care about. Sure there might be a percentage of Wii owners who don't buy another game till Wiisports 2 comes out. But if the other Wii owners buy software like 360 owners then the Wii will get major support from publishers and developers. I am sure once the Wii has 2 or 3 3rd party million sellers the flood gates will open. Also since Nintendo makes money on each Wii they are not hurt by people who buy the system for 1 game unlike MS or Sony. There is no down side for Nintendo attracting non-traditional gamers. Some will convert to gamers some won't but Nintendo sill makes money off each one thanks to low cost hardware.

sonycowboy said:
PlayStation 3 130K

tzevelekostt2.gif

milanbaros

Member?
Wii is a change in direction and it will take a while for 3rd parties to follow suit. Even the GCN had a tie ratio WW of 9.5. I expect the Wii to have a similar pattern to the DS in that it takes at least 12 months for 3rd parties to start selling well on the platform. Tie ratios also become meaningless when the actual numbers differ so much.

Heres some GCN comparisons for the Americas and Japan (I know NPD thread but its still interesting.)

Japan

GCN (Sept 14 - Mar 31) HW - 1.57m SW - 4.06m TR - 2.59
Wii (Dec 2 - Dec 31) HW - 1.14m SW - 4.33m TR - 3.80

Americas

GCN (Nov 18 - Mar 31) HW - 2.22m SW - 10.27m TR - 4.63
Wii (Nov 19 - Dec 31) HW - 1.25m SW - 9.02m TR - 7.22

This is all shipped of course and the dates don't line up. Will be able to do a better comparison after full year results, which will be out soon. This does show that the Wii is doing far better than the GCN in terms of software. The tie ratios are better and the GCN didn't have a poor tie ratio. Everything seems healthy to me.

3rd parties would rather share 50% of 600m than 75% of 200m.

marc^o^ said:
This is the reasoning I had too. Now the focus will be put back on NA and Japan in April. If people are wondering why Super Paper Mario isn't planned for April in Europe, here is an explanation.
I don't think the late release of SPM has anything to do with the units available. NoE is just painfully slow and SPM has a lot of text which has to be tranlated.

donny2112

I believe the handheld stuff is new. :)

GBA
Last Month Current Rank Title Publisher Release Date Average Price
2 1 Pokemon FireRed Nintendo Sep-04 $20
5 2 Pokemon LeafGreen Nintendo Sep-04 $20
3 3 Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 Nintendo Feb-02 $20
4 4 Mario Kart: Circuit Nintendo Aug-01 $20
8 5 Pokemon Emerald Nintendo Apr-05 $35
7 6 Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team Nintendo Sep-06 $31
6 7 Super Mario Advance Nintendo Jun-01 $20
** 8 My Little Pony: Crystal Princess Runaway Rainbow THQ Sep-06 $15
** 9 Dogz Ubisoft Nov-05 $20
** 10 Nicktoons: Battle for Volcano Island THQ Oct-06 $20

DS
1 1 Diddy Kong Racing Nintendo Feb-07 $30
** 2 Spectrobes Disney Interactive Studios Mar-07 $29
2 3 New Super Mario Bros Nintendo May-06 $32
3 4 Mario Kart Nintendo Nov-05 $33
5 5 Kirby Squeak Squad Nintendo Dec-06 $30
** 6 Wario: Master of Disguise Nintendo Mar-07 $30
6 7 Nintendogs: Dalmatian & Friends Nintendo Oct-06 $30
4 8 Brain Age: Train Your Brain In Minutes a Day Nintendo Apr-06 $20
7 9 Yoshi's Island 2 Nintendo Nov-06 $29
** 10 Cooking Mama Majesco Sep-06 $19

PSP
** 1 MLB '07: The Show SCEA Feb-07 $40
1 2 Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters SCEA Feb-07 $40
2 3 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories Take-Two Interactive Nov-06 $30
** 4 300: March to Glory Warner Interactive Feb-07 $30
4 5 Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories Take-Two Interactive Oct-05 $20
5 6 NBA Live 07 Electronic Arts Sep-06 $30
9 7 Medal of Honor: Heroes Electronic Arts Oct-06 $29
7 8 Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition Take-Two Interactive Jun-05 $20
** 9 Call of Duty: Roads to Victory Activision Mar-07 $40
** 10 Major League Baseball 2K7 Take-Two Interactive Feb-07 $30

FrankT

skinnyrattler said:
For the 360 to tout it's tie ratio, the Wii has already hit a tie ratio of 5:1.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6167635&postcount=109

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that 30-40 (just a guess, didn't really look it up) percent of games sales are 1st party for the Wii and 3rd parties on 360 enjoy the lion's share but reaffirms that it can be a useless stat out of context.

I came up with 4.97.

29 million games sold by the end of the quarter and 5.84 million console sold during that same time frame.

Nintendo has in development 79 games for DS and 45 titles for Wii, according to a report at business site Bloomberg.
Speaking to press in Tokyo, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said that a new assortment of games would hit the market at the end of summer.

Nintendo sold 29 million Wii games in its fiscal year ended March 31.

Iwata also said today that Nintendo intends to boost Wii production in order to meet demand. The company said that it has sold nearly 6 million units worldwide. The DS handheld sold over 23 million units in Nintendo’s most recent fiscal year.

Nintendo announced today that it acquired a majority stake in Xenosaga developer Monolith Software, and yesterday the game maker announced raked in record profits for its fiscal year.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5385&Itemid=2

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=75750

Nintendo Wii sold 5.84 million units during its first five months on sale worldwide, Nintendo said today in a financial report which saw the company's sales and profits soar.

I assume they're not counting any VC numbers in that.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
bmf said:
Any news on when we should be seeing April numbers? Or does April end on May 17th or something for NPD's purposes?

I think we get April numbers May 17. I think it's going to be epic.

Jtyettis said:
Oh, it should be epic. I have no doubts about that one. What is the official cut off on this one?

Eh? The only "epic" thing that will happen is to see how Nintendo supplies the launch of Pokemon and Super Paper Mario. The rest will be mediocre to below average, and completely un-exciting.

Stopsign said:
Eh? The only "epic" thing that will happen is to see how Nintendo supplies the launch of Pokemon and Super Paper Mario. The rest will be mediocre to below average, and completely un-exciting.

The ratio's shall be legendary. Although, I don't think we'll quite see that 7:1 that we saw in Japan.

schuelma

Stopsign said:

It may be unsurprising, but massive Wii numbers will be big news.

Also, with a normal 4 week reporting period PS3 may dip below 100K.

FrankT

Stopsign said:

Can't say I'll even be paying attention to those numbers. Although, Pokemon should be huge. Of course, we already know what it did in it's first 5 days.

Odysseus

Banned
Stopsign said:

if microsoft shipped enough elites, i think 360 will more than triple ps3 this month. that would be interesting enough.

Odysseus said:
if microsoft shipped enough elites, i think 360 will more than triple ps3 this month. that would be interesting enough.

There's actually a very good chance of that happening, especially if the PS3 is around the 80k range(No big games at all, continued downward trend, traditional slowdown and 4 week period).

Meh, I don't think the Elite will effect overall sales too much. They will increase, but still in the same positioning on the charts which is less than Wii but more than PS3. BTW, Japan numbers don't come out this week because of Golden week right? Can someone confirm this?

FrankT

AdmiralViscen said:
For one week, I think it's a stretch to say 360 will outsell PS3 3:1. I say 250k vs 100k. 360 probably sold like shit the first three weeks.

I have no doubts it will sell 3:1 this month. Without question.

jarrod

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
For the 360 to tout it's tie ratio, the Wii has already hit a tie ratio of 5:1.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6167635&postcount=109

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that 30-40 (just a guess, didn't really look it up) percent of games sales are 1st party for the Wii and 3rd parties on 360 enjoy the lion's share but reaffirms that it can be a useless stat out of context.
30-40% of 29m? Seems rather high considering Nintendo's only released 4 western SKUs in that period (7 in Japan)... even shooting higher end...

Zelda TP~ 3m (ww)
Wii Play~ 2m (ww)
Wario Ware~ 1.25m (ww)
Wii Sports~ 1m (JP)
Excite Truck~ 500k (ww)
PBR~ 350k (JP)
Fire Emblem~ 250k (JP)
Eyeshield 21~ 100k (JP)

...and you're only making ~8.5m (just under 30%) best case. I know people like to tout Nintdomination of their own platforms, but just assuming Nintendo eats this sort of software percentage on principal is pushing it. There's no way the 40+ different Wii 3rd party games are only taking a 60% share imo.

Jtyettis said:
I have no doubts it will sell 3:1 this month. Without question.

It only sold 199k last month, probably due to people holding off for Elite. Even if 360 kept up that pace, it would have sold no more than 150k in the first three weeks of the month. And sales probably fell off faster as Elite got closer, not to mention that the sales rate of March was probably skewed up by strong weeks before the Elite announcement.

So 360 would have to sell at least 150k in the last week to hit 300k.

I could be wrong, I have no hard idea of just how much Elite will sell. But I really don't see how you could have NO doubt that 360 outsells PS3 3:1.

PedroRVD

I cannot stop to laugh each month GBA beats PS3...thats hilarious

and expect DS beats everyone combined on April because of Pokemon

CoolTrick

Banned
NPD threads suck now. I thought sonycowboy was handling relations with NPD, which is why he was modded. Seems to me like he isn't even doing anything.

JCBossman

Banned
It's going to be a PS3 BLOODBATH. With this upcoming SE game announcement, I got the feeling Square is getting a little scared having so much invested in a platform with poor sales, we "MIGHT" see a Megaton.

schuelma

CoolTrick said:
NPD threads suck now. I thought sonycowboy was handling relations with NPD, which is why he was modded. Seems to me like he isn't even doing anything.

Are you the same guy that bitches about Cheesemeister in the MC threads?

GhaleonEB

goldenpp72 said:
are you just pullin my chain? I thought npd closed on the 5th.
Why would I pull your chain? The April period is four weeks, so the data for that period comes out four weeks after the March data did. NPD for March came out on April 19th (the start date for this thread). Just tack four weeks onto that.

JCBossman said:
It's going to be a PS3 BLOODBATH. With this upcoming SE game announcement, I got the feeling Square is getting a little scared having so much invested in a platform with poor sales, we "MIGHT" see a Megaton.

What they did with the DS was pretty smart. It kinda mended things between them and Nintendo and gave them a a pretty good chance of snagging a first class ticket on the Wii train. If they play their cards right.

We shall see this Saturday.

schuelma

chibcicylist said:
What they did with the DS was pretty smart. It kinda mended things between them and Nintendo and gave them a a pretty good chance of snagging a first class ticket on the Wii train. If they play their cards right. We shall see this Saturday.

I have a sneaking suspicion the Wii is going to get shut out.

Hope I'm wrong

JCBossman

Banned
chibcicylist said:
What they did with the DS was pretty smart. It kinda mended things between them and Nintendo and gave them a a pretty good chance of snagging a first class ticket on the Wii train. If they play their cards right.

We shall see this Saturday.

I think Nintedo's Wii is going to get some action:) BUT the BIG money project isn't going to scale to the Wii, so that leaves.......

goldenpp72 said:
alright, thanks. So I guess most npd from here on will be late in the month? Havent really kept track.
They've always been over a week after the end of tracking, but they seem abnormally later in the month now following the infrequent 5-week January. Barring changes to the normal procedure or delays, the numbers should appear on the following schedule:

April: May 17
May: June 14
June: July 19
July: August 16
August: September 13
September: October 18
October: November 15
November: December 13
December: January 17
January 2008: February 14
February 2008: March 13
March 2008: April 17
April 2008: May 15

and they'll creep slightly earlier into the months until they make another 5-week January.

JCBossman said:
I think Nintedo's Wii is going to get some action:) BUT the BIG money project isn't going to scale to the Wii, so that leaves.......
The big question has to do with what Square will do if the PS3 no longer makes sense financially for the big money projects. Will they go multiplatform with the 360? Will they shelve the projects as is and star anew on the Wii? Will they swallow their losses and put more new projects on other platforms? That's where the big questions lie.

linsivvi

chibcicylist said:
MC don't seem to have that trouble doing it weekly.

As far as I know MC doesn't supply anything beyond the sales figures. NPD provides reports to clients and issues press release, and these things can't be written until the data is ready for analysis. And yeah, USA is much larger than Japan. Processing sales data do take time and it's not just a matter of adding them together. They need to be weighted as well, since they do not cover all outlets.

Top Bottom