• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NeoGAF 2010 Pro Starcraft Thread

Rapstah

What's the deal with valkyries? I have no idea about anything SC related, can anyone explain?

EDIT: And now apparently a screen broke?!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ref: Flash's monitor briefly switched off when his valk was killed

REGAME

*Valks cannot be microed as they shoot so they are easy pickings for scourge without support
(110 dmg suicide). However valks do splash damage, so if you have a certain number any number of stacked mutas become worthless.

Zzoram

People are saying it's karma because Effort got a regame when he complained that his mutas weren't responding properly in a previous game.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Zzoram said:
Even though Effort had the advantage at the time of pausing, the game is far from decided, so if they regame it won't be too huge a controversy.
other than that effort loses a good chance with that build?

Zzoram

Rapstah said:
What's the deal with valkyries? I have no idea about anything SC related, can anyone explain?

EDIT: And now apparently a screen broke?!

They're expensive terran air units that do splash damage to air units. They're good against mutalisks if you can keep them alive, but they die pretty easily to Scourge (suicide zerg air units that do massive damage).

Zzoram

Pandaman said:
other than that effort loses a good chance with that build?

Flash killed an overlord and got a few volleys off softening the mutas. Losing his valk wasn't guaranteed to doom him.

It also ruins Flash's build. If they regame, they both have to play a new build chosen on the spot, not the build they practiced in advance.

Zzoram

Hazaro said:
Ref: Flash's monitor briefly switched off when his valk was killed

REGAME

Maybe the monitor sucks because it's probably from 2002. CRTs haven't been in production for a long time.

People watching this on live TV instead of an internet stream said that their TV channels cut out for a few seconds, so there was definitely something technical going on the moment that valkyrie died.

Put it into perspective-when Effort's mouse went out during the Tiebreaker From Hell earlier this OSL, he was right about to walk into a huge scourge trap and lose a ZvZ that would have sent Shine into the quarterfinals-and they still regamed that one.

Dunno why Flash has moved away from his 11 rax FE builds (and variants thereof) so much lately. The Korean pro metagame never generated an answer for it outside of Jaedong using a extremely greedy build, and even then it was always very close and was a tossup who would win.

Zzoram

Fragamemnon said:
Put it into perspective-when Effort's mouse went out during the Tiebreaker From Hell earlier this OSL, he was right about to walk into a huge scourge trap and lose a ZvZ that would have sent Shine into the quarterfinals-and they still regamed that one.

Dunno why Flash has moved away from his 11 rax FE builds (and variants thereof) so much lately. The Korean pro metagame never generated an answer for it outside of Jaedong using a extremely greedy build, and even then it was always very close and was a tossup who would win.

Maybe the maps just don't favore 11rax FE anymore. Maps change the metagame a lot, and the maps change every 3 months.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So another 1hr break. Someone go go go me when it's back. Spending my saturday night watching a game i don't understand being commentated by a language i don't understand, so good.

Chris R

Zzoram said:
Maybe the monitor sucks because it's probably from 2002. CRTs haven't been in production for a long time.

People watching this on live TV instead of an internet stream said that their TV channels cut out for a few seconds, so there was definitely something technical going on the moment that valkyrie died.
Every quality CRT I ever owned is/was a rock though, never had ANY issues with them. Just seems like such a strange thing to have "fail" at that point of a game.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Zzoram said:
Flash killed an overlord and got a few volleys off softening the mutas. Losing his valk wasn't guaranteed to doom him.
hx7zpy.jpg

It also ruins Flash's build. If they regame, they both have to play a new build chosen on the spot, not the build they practiced in advance.
:lol
as if broodwar terrans have more than one build.

Zzoram

rhfb said:
Every quality CRT I ever owned is/was a rock though, never had ANY issues with them. Just seems like such a strange thing to have "fail" at that point of a game.

The booth girls watch them/the screen. She would've verified his story.

Ashhong

nope, they said there was no booth girl i believe. but they said it was due to the broadcasting epuipment or something, and that seems in line with the problem since the actual tv showing froze...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rhfb said:
Might have been an issue with a broadcasting camera switchings feeds on the same power or something. I dunno.

They must have like 4 cameras on him and his screen so...

Man this sucks :[

Zzoram

Ashhong said:
nope, they said there was no booth girl i believe. but they said it was due to the broadcasting epuipment or something, and that seems in line with the problem since the actual tv showing froze...

ya, if the tv channel itself froze for a few seconds, it seems reasonable that a legit tech problem happened

Rapstah

The stream I'm watching is playing some weird awesome Korean rap video while waiting for the game to pick up again. I've concluded that Korea is probably the best country ever.

Zzoram

Neckbeard said:
So in other words, it's the honor system here in this particular case? seems kind of fishy to me....

I was wrong, there was no booth girl in this case, and there was a problem with the video capture setup that caused the monitor problem. It's been verified by the techs and by the people who could see the direct feed of his monitor.

Zzoram

Ashhong said:
did they say how long to wait? i stepped away for a minute

A commercial break. Starcraft commercial breaks are usually ~10 minutes so there are probably a couple minutes left.

Zzoram

Well, this sucks. I was hoping to be in bed by now :lol

I'm definitely staying up to watch this, but maybe I'll watch from my bed now, sitting on this chair is getting uncomfortable.

Zzoram

Ashhong said:
goddamn this thing :lol

If this is your first experience, I assure you this isn't the norm. Something like this has only happened maybe 5 times in the past 3 years, and many of those other times were much more controversial.

Ashhong

Zzoram said:
If this is your first experience, I assure you this isn't the norm. Something like this has only happened maybe 5 times in the past 3 years, and many of those other times were much more controversial.

yea it is haha. i figured its not the norm, just annoying on such a big match.

and haz, that would be perfect if it somehow referenced gizmodos prank at ces :lol

Ashhong

LMAO only in Asia will you see someone in the crowd holding a fucking computer running a slideshow instead of a normal sign

Zzoram

lol why did Effort make 6 queens and show them by parasiting twice? I get the feeling that he forgot to research Broodling until later. If he didn't attack until AFTER Broodling finished researching and actually sniped the tanks, he would've had a real chance instead of a-moving all his Hydras into sieged tanks

Flash's bm CC was :lol

DieH@rd

Banned
Ashhong said:
LMAO only in Asia will you see someone in the crowd holding a fucking computer running a slideshow instead of a normal sign

Crowd is in the darnes, so that screen is fine solution.

Zzoram

Apparently that CC wasn't just BM, it also put a barrier by his tanks incase more was coming, and that was the next place that made sense to expand to.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm wondering why effort went queens. I'm sure he practiced it like crazy but it seems odd putting into play in a Final.

Being on 3 gas and 4 base and doing the muta switch was nice though.

Flash of course played really well scouting and scanning like a hacker and leaving mines all around for vision. The 2-1 upgrade push vs Effort's 1-0 hydras sure helped too.
Zzoram said:
Apparently that CC wasn't just BM, it also put a barrier by his tanks incase more was coming, and that was the next place that made sense to expand to.
Yeah it's the better spot to expo and the CC would block any lings/hydras coming from the hatch there.

Zzoram

If Effort made more mutas instead of queens, and had the mutas support his big hydra attack, it would've went a lot better for him.

Zzoram

Fragamemnon said:
2-1 mech ups versus 0 carapace, owies.

Ya, Effort attacked at the exact worst possible moment for him, JUST as Flash's upgrades finished but JUST BEFORE his Broodling Queens were ready. Pretty awesome actually.

Top Bottom