• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Offseason Thread of LOL Leafs and other loser teams in memory of Manics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doytch

Oh fuck no. We dodged bullets with Neil, and so far with Bertuzzi, I do not want Chelios on the Leafs. As if we don't have enough Dmen.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Cheli is the NHL's answer to Brett Favre.

@ The SI Top 10 List: Leaving the Caps out of the top 10 is kinda crazy. Just last year they were picked by many pundits to WIN the East, now they're suddenly out of the top 10 after a tight 7 game series with the team that went on to win the Cup? Not to mention they made a couple nice additions in the offseason. Seems a bit ridiculous to me.

pringles

Plinko said:
Red Wings negotiating with forward Todd Bertuzzi

Source: Mlive

*dances*

I called this about a month ago. I know other fans won't be happy about it, but I think it will be a good pick up. The loss of Drake and his toughness hurt the team last year.
It's done.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=288074
The Detroit Red Wings added some size and veteran presence up front by agreeing on a one-year contract with former Red Wing Todd Bertuzzi.

The veteran forward needs to pass a standard physical to make the deal official.

The Grand Rapids Press, The Detroit Free Press and MLive.com claim the team was offering a one-year, $1.5 million contract.

Despite us signing Bertuzzi, I'm glad once again that we are only signing cheap 1 year contracts, that way we can see how they play and don't have to make a huge commitment on some of these players that we are unsure of.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Bertuzzi had 44 points in 66 games with Calgary last year. Because of his toughness (something the Wings desperately lack), for $1.5 million I think that's a steal.

Yeah, he'll take some bad penalties. There are some complaints about him not giving it his all. I just think that his positives will far outweigh the negatives for the Red Wings next year. If there's anybody who can motivate this guy to play, it's Babcock. I expect him to end up with more points next year barring injury.

I also agree with CrazedArabMan--I like these short-term deals. It seems Detroit is really preparing to offload some decent money after this season. Wonder which free agent they have their eye on?

Plinko said:
Bertuzzi had 44 points in 66 games with Calgary last year. Because of his toughness (something the Wings desperately lack), for $1.5 million I think that's a steal.

Yeah, he'll take some bad penalties. There are some complaints about him not giving it his all. I just think that his positives will far outweigh the negatives for the Red Wings next year. If there's anybody who can motivate this guy to play, it's Babcock. I expect him to end up with more points next year barring injury.

I also agree with CrazedArabMan--I like these short-term deals. It seems Detroit is really preparing to offload some decent money after this season. Wonder which free agent they have their eye on?

I'm telling you, Kane or Toews because they know Chicago won't be able to sign both unless they take HUGE pay cuts. Plus both are young skilled players, a perfect fit for the wings.

Mii

Banned
sefskillz said:
marleau captain no more

Sorry on the late response, just woke up from being excessively giddy all night.

Excellent news. Keeping Marleau, but losing his C.

Problem is who gets the C now. We let go of Grier so that option is gone. Perhaps Boyle.

Next, Thornton needs to go. Lets get a first round pick and some players to fill our gaps. Make it happen, Wilson.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
CrazedArabMan said:
I'm telling you, Kane or Toews because they know Chicago won't be able to sign both unless they take HUGE pay cuts. Plus both are young skilled players, a perfect fit for the wings.

Unless they get some rube to take Brian Campbell.

Marvie_3

Banned
CrazedArabMan said:
Keep dreaming. Toews is a 'Hawk for the long haul. Kane only ends up somewhere else if someone offers an incredible trade for him. The 'Hawks would probably put Campbell in the AHL and eat his contract before letting either of them walk.

Plinko said:
Unless they get some rube to take Brian Campbell.
Or this will happen.

Marvie_3 said:
Keep dreaming. Toews is a 'Hawk for the long haul. Kane only ends up somewhere else if someone offers an incredible trade for him. The 'Hawks would probably put Campbell in the AHL and eat his contract before letting either of them walk.

Or this will happen.

But Campbell must have a one-way contract right? But i am with you on this one, the Hawks cant possibly let one of them go. If they didnt have a plan to solve this, the Hossa trade would have been incredibly stupid. They just HAVE to work something out, the same goes with Keith.

Marvie_3

Banned
Mike Works said:
Campbell has a no movement clause. Pretty much every pundit is saying Sharp is gone after this season.
Shit. Forgot about that. Well I guess I'll just have to lock him in the trunk of my car then. :lol

I'd much rather see players like Byfuglien gone. Sharp is awesome.

Plinko

I know you Hawks fans disagree with me, but I can't see any way the Hawks can end up keeping Hossa, Sharp, Kane, Toews, and Campbell on the roster in 1-2 years unless somebody takes a huge pay cut. That's SO much money tied up into 5 people. It handicaps your team so badly that it just doesn't make any sense.

Isn't Kane only making like 3 million? He's worth WAY more than that.

Marvie_3

Banned
Plinko said:
I know you Hawks fans disagree with me, but I can't see any way the Hawks can end up keeping Hossa, Sharp, Kane, Toews, and Campbell on the roster in 1-2 years unless somebody takes a huge pay cut. That's SO much money tied up into 5 people. It handicaps your team so badly that it just doesn't make any sense.
It's doable. They'll have to dump a shitload of players to do it but it can be done. It'll make them a very shallow team though. I still say they should trade Kane if they can get a good enough offer for him.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
alexthekid said:
But Campbell must have a one-way contract right? But i am with you on this one, the Hawks cant possibly let one of them go. If they didnt have a plan to solve this, the Hossa trade would have been incredibly stupid. They just HAVE to work something out, the same goes with Keith.
Doesn't matter. If hes playing in the AHL, his salary doesn't count against the Hawks cap. He'll be the highest paid AHLer in history.

R_GILL said:
Campbell has a NMC??!
According to this site, its a NTC and not a NMC:http://www.nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm
Don't know how accurate it is.

Plinko

Marvie_3 said:
It's doable. They'll have to dump a shitload of players to do it but it can be done. It'll make them a very shallow team though. I still say they should trade Kane if they can get a good enough offer for him.

This is my point.

Both Kane and Toews could command a $6-7 million salary somewhere else in the league. Right now they're making 3.725 and 2.8 respectively. That's at least an additional 6 million a year to sign both of those two.

Campbell: 7.1
Kane: 3.725
Toews: 2.8
Hossa: 7.9
Sharp: 4
Huet: 5.625

In 2009, that's only about 30 million in 6 players. Resigning Kane and Toews probably bumps that up to about 36-37 million. That's insane for 6 players, especially with the salary cap dropping to an estimated $50 million for 2010-2011.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Don't we say this for pretty much every team. They will find a way to keep Toews and Kane and even Keith. I mean they can dump Sharp, Sopel and Byfuglien and have enough money to keep them.

Plinko

R_GILL said:
Don't we say this for pretty much every team. They will find a way to keep Toews and Kane and even Keith. I mean they can dump Sharp, Sopel and Byfuglien and have enough money to keep them.

Maybe, but again you see the depth of the team plummet in that situation.

I guess I argue this point adamantly because I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Blackhawks. Hockey just seems better when they're playing well. If a big city like Chicago is interested in the Blackhawks, it's much better for the NHL.

I just don't want to see them on the brink of greatness and then collapse from the albatross of huge contracts to too few people.

Marvie_3

Banned
Plinko said:
This is my point.

Both Kane and Toews could command a $6-7 million salary somewhere else in the league. Right now they're making 3.725 and 2.8 respectively. That's at least an additional 6 million a year to sign both of those two.

In 2009, that's only about 30 million in 6 players. Resigning Kane and Toews probably bumps that up to about 36-37 million. That's insane for 6 players, especially with the salary cap dropping to an estimated $50 million for 2010-2011.
My bad. I misread.

Kane and Toews are only making around $850,000 each. Their cap hits are 3.7 and 2.8 because the potential bonuses in their entry contracts counted against the cap whether they hit them or not. Barker was the same way. His cap hit was something like 2.5M even though he was making way less than 1M.

Kane and Toews could get 6-7 mil if they were UFA. They'll get a little over 5. I doubt anyone signs them to an offer sheet more than that because that team will have to give up several first round picks in compensation. Most likely Kane, Toews, and Keith get resigned before the end of the season.

Hossa's cap hit is only 5.2, not 7.9. I agree though that it's still a ridiculous amount for 6 players. Campbell and Huet need to go after this season without question. Either that or the 'Hawks are going to be really weak for a few years.

i may be mistaken about campbell having a NMC, it may just be a NTC.

regardless, i really doubt he'll be on any team (in the NHL) but chicago for at least the next few years.

the hawks could trade byfuglien today if they wanted, but i don't see why they'd want to.

there's no way you get rid of kane, that guy's going to be a friggin superstar. and toews is the captain and starting to come into his own, he's going nowhere.

all that leaves is sharp, who's good, but there just won't be money for him.

it is kind of funny how the hawks finally stop getting screwed over by their owner, finally get a respectable team, and then they have one of the funniest offseasons i''ve ever witnessed

i completely forgot that the hawks signed hossa too... i personally would've held off on the contract (not that he's bad or anything), as i'm really not confident with huet being your only chance in net. if he only had a year left on his contract, fine, but i dunno. with all that cap space tied up in forwards and campbell, even when you do get rid of huet, what money are you going to have to get anyone good? you can get another mid-level goalie for cheaper (as biron proved), but the hawks are going to be really hard pressed to find anyone as good as khabibulin again.

Marvie_3

Banned
Mike Works said:
the hawks could trade byfuglien today if they wanted, but i don't see why they'd want to.
I'd trade him today because the playoffs raised his value to the highest it'll get. Buff is totally worthless in the regular season. Horribly inconsistent, timid, and way overpaid.

Mike Works said:
there's no way you get rid of kane, that guy's going to be a friggin superstar. and toews is the captain and starting to come into his own, he's going nowhere.
Kane has the potential to be a superstar be he's really lazy at times and very streaky. If he ups his work ethic(which I'm hoping his little cabbie fiasco will help with) then I wouldn't mind Kane staying a 'Hawk.

Mike Works said:
i completely forgot that the hawks signed hossa too... i personally would've held off on the contract (not that he's bad or anything), as i'm really not confident with huet being your only chance in net. if he only had a year left on his contract, fine, but i dunno. with all that cap space tied up in forwards and campbell, even when you do get rid of huet, what money are you going to have to get anyone good? you can get another mid-level goalie for cheaper (as biron proved), but the hawks are going to be really hard pressed to find anyone as good as khabibulin again.
Khabibulin is only as good as the team in front of him. He can't carry a team. I don't think Huet can either but he and Bulin had pretty similar seasons last year, except Huet was healthy and Bulin was hurt again for the 30th season in a row. I really wish the 'Hawks had gone after Biron. Couldn't believe he was picked up that cheap.

Acid08

Banned
Mii said:
Sorry on the late response, just woke up from being excessively giddy all night.

Excellent news. Keeping Marleau, but losing his C.

Problem is who gets the C now. We let go of Grier so that option is gone. Perhaps Boyle.

Next, Thornton needs to go. Lets get a first round pick and some players to fill our gaps. Make it happen, Wilson.
Boyle is the only candidate, really. Thornton will keep his A unfortunately. Blake will probably get an A as well which I'm okay with.

Plinko

Marvie_3 said:
Hossa's cap hit is only 5.2, not 7.9. I agree though that it's still a ridiculous amount for 6 players. Campbell and Huet need to go after this season without question. Either that or the 'Hawks are going to be really weak for a few years.

My mistake on Hossa--I forgot they are frontloading his contract to get around the cap.

Marvie_3

Banned
Plinko said:
My mistake on Hossa--I forgot they are frontloading his contract to get around the cap.
Until the league gets a hair up its ass and fines the 'Hawks eleventy million dollars and 400 draft picks.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Plinko said:

They are. The cap hit is equivalent to the average salary over the course of the contract. So he's a great deal now (at 5.2), but he could be deadweight in 10 years, if he doesn't retire.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I read your post wrong.

Plinko

Marvie_3 said:
Kane and Toews could get 6-7 mil if they were UFA. They'll get a little over 5. I doubt anyone signs them to an offer sheet more than that because that team will have to give up several first round picks in compensation. Most likely Kane, Toews, and Keith get resigned before the end of the season.

I disagree. I think a team who traditionally operates through free agency or their entire draft (like Detroit) would do this in a heartbeat. Also, here's something interesting:
Because the contracts for the Red Wings' offseason additions -- Bertuzzi, Jason Williams and Patrick Eaves -- are for one season, Holland said the Red Wings could have between $10 million and $15 million in cap space for the 2010-11 season.

They'll definitely have the cash.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Marvie_3 said:

I could see a few GMs willing to offer 6.5M for Kane or Toews. Burke in particular since the Leafs don't even have a first line center. Oil also need an elite center which they don't have.

3,923,437 - $5,231,240 = 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick
$5,231,249 - $6,539,062 = Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick

Kingpen

Plinko said:
This is my point.

Pens have the following tied up in 6 players.

Crosby 8.7
Malkin 8.7
Gonchar 5
Fleury 5
Staal 4
Orpik 3.75

= 35.15...

Marvie_3

Banned
Plinko said:
I disagree. I think a team who traditionally operates through free agency or their entire draft (like Detroit) would do this in a heartbeat. Also, here's something interesting:

They'll definitely have the cash.
Doesn't mean they'll go after Kane/Toews. I can't see Detroit paying 6.5 AND giving up all those picks.

E-DuB

vatstep said:
Anyone else's team's ticket prices fucking skyrocket this year? Bruins tickets go on sale this week, and I'd like to go to the home opener as usual, but the new prices are pretty hard to swallow. As recent as two years ago, cheap seats were $10 — last year, they raised them to $16.50 for "regular" games, and now those seats are fucking $32.50! I know that the club is much more competitive now, and that they gotta make money, but seriously. Now I'm hesitant to buy tickets for more games until I can figure out how much I'll have to spend to go to the Winter Classic.

I'm in Toronto. It is automatically assumed that you have to surrender one of your kidneys and the soul of your first born if you want a crack at buying Leafs tickets. At least you have a competitive team right now :(

Plinko

Marvie_3 said:
Doesn't mean they'll go after Kane/Toews. I can't see Detroit paying 6.5 AND giving up all those picks.

I didn't mean to imply it was definite, just that it was a possibility. I do disagree with you about the draft picks, though.

Dude recently changed the spelling of his first name to Semyon and took a jab at DC fatties:

"I have a true love, so I don't look at any other women. You know, I'm extremely fortunate that I met a Russian girl in America. It's difficult to look at a lot of the local women. You get the feeling that just don't take care of themselves! There are an awful lot of heavy set ones. But Russian girls have nice trim figures. I couldn't imagine myself being with an American girl

Check out a vid of him and his chick. Guy looks like a real nerd. :lol :

Link

ForzaItalia said:
Dude recently changed the spelling of his first name to Semyon and took a jab at DC fatties:

Check out a vid of him and his chick. Guy looks like a real nerd. :lol :

Link

Interesting follow up

How about the ladies? Are you planning on getting married sometime?

"No, I'm not planning on it. I don't have any girlfriends, and I don't really need any right now. I was in a relationship, of course, but right now I have such a heavy work schedule that I don't have time for it. Right now I am fully devoted to my favorite thing-hockey. I simply don't have any time for a personal life."

Hmmm. That's weird. Just a week ago in one of your interviews you were saying exactly the opposite. You were talking about how you had found a Russian girl in America and fallen in love...

"Well, yeah, but that was last week, and now my plans have abruptly changed."

Alucard

Banned
Don't think the Pens should be rated #1 on any pre-season list, but since they are champs, I can understand the logic. I'm getting pumped for the new season. I've been getting The Hockey News mag in the mail for the past few months. I laughed when I read an article that came out just before the Kane debacle, calling him someone "with a good head on his shoulders." :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
Alucard said:
Don't think the Pens should be rated #1 on any pre-season list, but since they are champs, I can understand the logic. I'm getting pumped for the new season. I've been getting The Hockey News mag in the mail for the past few months. I laughed when I read an article that came out just before the Kane debacle, calling him someone "with a good head on his shoulders." :lol
People do stupid things. I bet if you look hard enough, there's an article out there describing what a fine human being O.J. Simpson was.

Alucard

Banned
Marvie_3 said:
People do stupid things. I bet if you look hard enough, there's an article out there describing what a fine human being O.J. Simpson was.

No doubt. I just thought the timing of it was funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom