• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sony Gamers Day 2007 Thread [HOLY F**KING SH*T)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Dizzan said:
Wow. Such a noticeable difference in quality between third and first party stuff.

Help your third parties out Sony
3rd party multiplatform games, by their nature, aren't going to cater to the hardware as much. Even so, I don't see anything that looks bad at all.

Dizzan

MINI Member
kaching said:
3rd party multiplatform games, by their nature, aren't going to cater to the hardware as much. Even so, I don't see anything that looks bad at all.

Nothng looks bad, First party just looks noticeably better

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Not trying to start something, but I don't think it's 3rd party that looks bad I think it's multi-platform in general. Isn't white knight story a 3rd party game, lair, and ratchet and clank also? Those are some of the better looking games this gen... although Ratchet and Clank is basically first party.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
un7.jpg

This image is really striking. It demonstrates just how good the texture work really is (similar to Gears of War in its approach, really). It looks fantastic.

HOLY SHIT at all these vids.

Uncharted and Heavenly Sword look better than ever. Especially the lighting, clothes and animation on Uncharted and skin textures and backrounds on HS look ****ing incredible. Uncharted has simply the best graphics I've seen in a game. Folklore's art and graphics look unique, nice surprise from Sony.

I wanted to see more from LittleBigPlanet. I'm kinda dissapointed. SOCOM looks good for a downloadable.

Now for Lair. They seem to have started fixing the art problems on the game. Fire affects look beautiful now when two months ago they looked atrocious. Dragons and ground battles look much better now too (unfortunately ground battles need even more fixing).

Yoboman

Forsete said:
They were posted somewhere in this thread.

EDit: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=3938

That's quite a bit better, but still seems to have a distinctly different look with the lighting than the game really does.

dark10x said:
un7.jpg

This image is really striking. It demonstrates just how good the texture work really is (similar to Gears of War in its approach, really). It looks fantastic.

Agreed. I hadn't really realise how striking the texture work in this game is until these images

Ceb

Forsete, can you do some caps of the night-time area with the statue in the middle? Amazing textures there. :)

BuddyC

Continuing with my "I don't know what other sites have said" style of posts, I just got done typing up my thoughts on Uncharted.

In short, very pretty, but still rather early...

While no doubt impressive, the current version of Uncharted lacks much of the polish and finishing touches one expects from a typical Naughty Dog production. Control over Ethan's movements felt far too sensitive, and his animations didn't always match up with the environment, especially when navigating curved or angled surfaces. The quick and sweeping movements of the camera moved too fast, resulting in disorientation. Thus far, all the enemies seem to consist of the same basic model, the only difference being in the color of their t-shirts and bandanas, and the optional presence of an eye patch. Collision detection problems sometimes left Ethan clipping through objects, or even falling through the level itself.

Another issue involves the guns and ammunition enemies drop following their demise; a white triangle appears above an object to display its location. Given the rich density of Uncharted's environments, this pop-up is a necessity as the objects would otherwise be rather difficult to find. On the same note though, the bright white triangles are rather distracting, especially relative to the highly realistic appearance of the environments. A more translucent icon or perhaps a user-customizable setting for their appearance and brightness could resolve the problem, though the likelihood of such a solution is unknown. However, given Uncharted's work-in-progress status and Naughty Dog's impressive track record, the above problems should be smoothed out before the game's release.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Good point about the ammo markers, I noticed the same thing. The HUD is so minimalistic, they're clearly going for immersion, yet you have these floating white markers. I guess it's a trade-off against frustrating periods of 'find-the-ammo', but like you suggest, maybe they can improve the appearance a little.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Animation and the environments are the star of Uncharted right now, but I'm not terribly excited by the action yet. Having these incredibly lush and detailed environments only to run around shooting some pedastrian-looking pirates seems like a missed opportunity, an uncanny valley in terms of what they've achieved in some respects, but haven't in others.

I think I would have been more impressed with the Uncharted demo if they had shown more meaninful interaction with the environment, like cutting a path through thick jungle vegetation with a machete, believe it or not.

Dizzan

MINI Member
kaching said:
I think I would have been more impressed with the Uncharted demo if they had shown more meaninful interaction with the environment, like cutting a path through thick jungle vegetation with a machete, believe it or not.

PS4?

Yoboman

gofreak said:
Good point about the ammo markers, I noticed the same thing. The HUD is so minimalistic, they're clearly going for immersion, yet you have these floating white markers. I guess it's a trade-off against frustrating periods of 'find-the-ammo', but like you suggest, maybe they can improve the appearance a little.
I'd bet my hat (yes my HAT) that those are purely placeholder. Same with the animation when he picks up the weapon, it looked early. You just see Drake randomly scoop at the ground - I'd expect you'd see him actually pick up the weapon and holster it, or pocket the ammo in the final game.

Yoboman

kaching said:
Animation and the environments are the star of Uncharted right now, but I'm not terribly excited by the action yet. Having these incredibly lush and detailed environments only to run around shooting some pedastrian-looking pirates seems like a missed opportunity, an uncanny valley in terms of what they've achieved in some respects, but haven't in others.

I don't think that would be very fun. Whether you like it or not, games will always stick to conventions. I'd like to see some more interesting enemies though. It's the Carribean, probably deadsmack in the middle of the Bermuda triangle - I'll be very dissapointed if there isn't a more supernatural element to the game that's under-wraps for now.

antiloop

After seeing some gamespot uncharted gameplay movies I have much more faith in the action. It looks fun, although needs some tweaking as far as sensitivity is concerned.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Yoboman said:
I'd bet my hat (yes my HAT) that those are purely placeholder. Same with the animation when he picks up the weapon, it looked early. You just see Drake randomly scoop at the ground - I'd expect you'd see him actually pick up the weapon and holster it, or pocket the ammo in the final game.

Can I see the hat?

I agree. They weren't using every animation in the demo. Plenty more to play with

bud

tanod said:
Gametrailers has .mov files for pretty much all their content. Start there but I'm not sure if anybody has direct feed footage except for Gamespot.

yahoo has direct feed footage too but it's .wmv only and i;m not paying for gamespot.

ah well, it'll be online in the .mov format some day.

methane47

PR about Sony's Gamer day... Since you guys already know most of it I'll just quote The alst part of the PR.

Sixteen exclusive titles for PSP from first and third parties were also unveiled at the event, ranging from Syphon Filter(R): Logan's Shadow to God of War(R): Chains of Olympus and SOCOM:U.S. Navy SEALs Tactical Strike.

"We still have a few surprises up our sleeve for this fiscal," continued Tretton. "But I think the games and services we did show at this event really demonstrated the gameplay, community and entertainment possibilities you can only have on PlayStation products."

Recent industry analyst reports point to an up-cycle for SCEA as the company brings more next-generation content to the marketplace, particularly for PS3. According to an April IDC report:

"IDC stresses that the PS3 is ahead of the market, like its predecessors. Must-have exclusive content, which in this generation will come from first party studios (Heavenly Sword, Lair) and network services (Home), will turn around the PS3's position. Later this year new PS3 games will begin to demonstrate the advantages of the console's specifications and the network will show us some new tricks." (1)

Games and services shown during the event included:

PS3

Ratchet & Clank(R)Future: Tools of Destruction(TM), SCEA
Uncharted: Drakes Fortune(TM), SCEA
Heavenly Sword(TM), SCEA
SingStar(TM), SCEA
SOCOM: Confrontation, SCEA
LAIR, SCEA
Folklore(TM), SCEA
NBA '08, SCEA
MLB 07 The Show(TM), SCEA
THE EYE OF JUDGMENT(TM), SCEA
Home, SCEA
LittleBigPlanet(TM), SCEA
Elder Scrolls(R)4: Oblivion, Bethesda Softworks
The BIGS, 2K Sports
Hellboy, Konami
Devil May Cry(R)IV, Capcom
Stranglehold(TM), Midway
Spider-Man 3, Activision, Inc.
Ninja Gaiden Sigma(R), Tecmo
TimeShift(TM), Sierra Entertainment
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas, Ubisoft Entertainment
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter(TM) 2, Ubisoft Entertainment
Surf's Up(TM), Ubisoft Entertainment
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Electronic Arts
Pirates of the Caribbean At World's End, Disney Interactive
SEGA Rally(R) Revo, SEGA
Dynasty Warriors(R):GUNDAM(R), NAMCO BANDAI Games
Conan(R), THQ
Ratatouille, THQ
The Darkness, 2KGames
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, 2KGames

PLAYSTATION Network

PAIN, SCEA
Calling All Cars(TM), SCEA
Warkhawk(TM), SCEA
High Velocity Bowling, SCEA
High Stakes on the Vegas Strip: Poker Edition, SOE

PSP

SOCOM US Navy SEALs: Tactical Strike, SCEA
Syphon Filter(R): Logan's Shadow, SCEA
God of War(R): Chains of Olympus, SCEA
Jeanne D'Arc, SCEA
NBA '08, SCEA
Pursuit Force(TM): Extreme Justice, SCEA
Parappa the Rapper(TM), SCEA
MLB 07 The Show(TM), SCEA
Crazy Taxi(TM): Fare Wars, SEGA
Crush(TM), SEGA
Castlevania(R)The Dracula X Chronicles(TM), Konami
Silent Hill Origins, Konami
Monster Hunter Freedom 2, Capcom
SWAT(R)Target Liberty(TM), Sierra Vivendi
Hot Brain(TM), Midway Home Entertainment
Final Fantasy, Square Enix
Dungeons and Dragons(R) Tactics, Atari
Star Wars Battlefront(R): Renegade Squadron(TM), LucasArts
NARUTO(TM): Ultimate Ninja Heroes(TM), NAMCO BANDAI Games
Dead Head Fred, D3 Publisher of America
PQ2: Practical Intelligence Quotient(TM), D3 Publisher of America
PlayStation 2
Buzz! Mega Quiz, SCEA
Buzz Jr. Jungle Party, SCEA
Hot Shots Tennis(R), SCEA
Manhunt 2, RockStar Games

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yoboman said:
I don't think that would be very fun. Whether you like it or not, games will always stick to conventions.
I didn't say it should form the cornerstone of gameplay, but that including something like that would create a more immersive sense of actually adventuring in these detailed environments rather than the pretty bog standard enemy encounters and run and jump platform traversal that I've seen so far.

lucius

Uncharted and Heavenly Sword look amazing.

I am a little worried about Uncharted's camera though one video it looks like it's all over the place.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I agree with the complaint about little triangular markers floating above the ammo. It's an extremely minor thing but it did look odd. However, I think those as well as some other parts of the UI (like those red streaks on the top) are probably just some demo placeholders, unless they've been going for the pulp-comic effect with those red streaks, I don't know.
From what I've seen, the UI stuff like this is almost never final in demos released months in advance.

theBishop

Banned
Regarding the white triangle, wouldn't it be more effective to have the dropped weapons maybe float a little bit off the ground and rotate. Then you could still see them, and it wouldn't cut into the overall image.

WoolyNinja

kaching said:
I didn't say it should form the cornerstone of gameplay, but that including something like that would create a more immersive sense of actually adventuring in these detailed environments rather than the pretty bog standard enemy encounters and run and jump platform traversal that I've seen so far.

It was a DEMO and still months away from completion and they only showed a small part of the game so we really don't know what will be in the game.

WoolyNinja

lucius said:
Uncharted and Heavenly Sword look amazing.

I am a little worried about Uncharted's camera though one video it looks like it's all over the place.

Again it was a DEMO. If you've played any Jak games their camera is great, so I wouldn't worry about it, it'll be fine in the final game.

Man that Yahoo direct feed video of the Uncharted trailer has some really good quality. Does anyone have more of those for the other games?

Ranger X

I'm not worried about Uncharted.
The producer is the girl that was involved in Jak2 devellopement and she's coming from Crystal Dynamics from the team that made Soul Reaver.
They are freaking experts in 3D adventurish games. Uncharted will probably kick ass like Soul Reaver and Jak2 did.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
New Syphon Filter for PSP?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!

Where are the pics/vids/info?

Anyone, please?

The rest of this show is just too much to comment on. Sony, you were sucking ass, but I see now that you're bringing yourselves back.

reminder

I'm still blown away by what was shown. I mean, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Folklore, SOCOM, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, LBP... i want all of those!

But the imo best announcement was the US release for Folklore. I love the style and can't wait for the demo next month! I wish they would have renamed it to 'The Lost Folklore' instead of just 'Folklore', but i think it's still a working title.

And now release direct feed HD trailers of all games shown, Sony!

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Ok, tell me if Im Crazy or not.

I just watched Every FOLKLORE vids i could find, IMO, Top 3 BEST Looking PS3 games, srsly

its gorgous, 60fps smooth Animation, The Art Direction AMAZING, Great Character design...

and the gameplay looking fun, does'nt hurt either

I kinda already knew Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, and Ratchet were gonna win me over, but Folklore REALLY Moved up my List.

the end

theBishop

Banned
reminder said:
I'm still blown away by what was shown. I mean, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Folklore, SOCOM, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, LBP... i want all of those!

But the imo best announcement was the US release for Folklore. I love the style and can't wait for the demo next month! I wish they would have renamed it to 'The Lost Folklore' instead of just 'Folklore', but i think it's still a working title.

And now release direct feed HD trailers of all games shown, Sony!

FolkLore is an unfortunate title considering Microsoft has an exclusive RPG franchise called "Fable".

Nintendo should start a series called "Fairy Tale".

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
BuddyC said:
Continuing with my "I don't know what other sites have said" style of posts, I just got done typing up my thoughts on Uncharted.

In short, very pretty, but still rather early...

Another issue involves the guns and ammunition enemies drop following their demise; a white triangle appears above an object to display its location. Given the rich density of Uncharted's environments, this pop-up is a necessity as the objects would otherwise be rather difficult to find. On the same note though, the bright white triangles are rather distracting, especially relative to the highly realistic appearance of the environments. A more translucent icon or perhaps a user-customizable setting for their appearance and brightness could resolve the problem, though the likelihood of such a solution is unknown. However, given Uncharted's work-in-progress status and Naughty Dog's impressive track record, the above problems should be smoothed out before the game's release.

Very nice write up as a whole, but this note right here is so ticky-tacky, an NBA ref would blush.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
dark10x said:
un7.jpg

Yea but dude the ground textures are shit. LAIR looks so much better. :lol

channeling ELS for those who cant tell

Forsete

Gold Member
I wish the dude in the gametrailers videos wouldnt use that cannon so much. There are other weapons besides the cannon, right? :D

Top Bottom