• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Suikoden Tierkreis Thread: "The Deepest Handheld RPG of All Time"

Xevren

I've always been a huge Suikoden fan, but I really dont know much about this at all. Didn't even know it was coming out next week.

B.K.

Duck Amuck said:
Let's get this out of the way. I fully expect this game to bomb and for me to slit my fucking wrists as a result. Place your bets. I expect this to sell less than 20k.

It would be interesting to see which sells more, this or Valkyrie Profile. I'm surprised they're both coming out next week. I didn't know their release dates were this close.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Hot damn this game looks sexy, damn you Duck Amuck, do you want to make me broke?

I am already buying Phantasy Star Portable this week and Resident Evil 5 next week.

So how does recruiting work exactly? Is it set up like suikoden 1 and 2, where you have to go out and find most of the cast on your own by doing various things? Once you find them, do they add things to your HQ like the original, or is most of it just set up to happen automatically with the story?

Also, when in battle, do multiple characters attack different enemies at the same time as they did in the first two games? That was one of the best things about the series, it made the battles so much more fast and furious.

firex

I preordered this months ago, so I should be getting it whenever it ships from Amazon. I'm looking forward to it. Anything that causes Tabris so much pain and sorrow has to be good on some level, plus it's a new Suikoden game.

B.K.

Duck Amuck said:
Recruiting, I imagine, happens how it does in every past Suiko game. Which means some are optional, some come along the story.

I'm not sure about attacking multiple enemies at once thing, but every Suikoden has done that so here's hoping.

But this isn't a REAL Suikoden, so all the characters will join automatically and you can only attack one enemy at a time and if the target dies, the characters don't automatically target another enemy. ;)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Also, FOR GOD'S SAKE IF THIS GAME DOESN'T SELL, SUIKODEN VI MIGHT NEVER HAPPEN.

So do your part.

Duck Amuck said:
Recruiting, I imagine, happens how it does in every past Suiko game. Which means some are optional, some come along the story.

I'm not sure about attacking multiple enemies at once thing, but every Suikoden has done that so here's hoping.
I really hope so. I havent seen any battle footage that really showed it doing so, but i guess we can hope as you say. Here is a video of what im referring to, incase anyone is a bit lost or new to the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwIcSpGi9ww&feature=related

Day one for sure. Suikoden is my series, I am Suikoden.

But I have a strange feeling that I need to get through the game as soon as possible, not because I want to, but because I feel I have to. I'm already looking past it to the next Suikoden game.

GDJustin said:

So do your part.

Just to play devils advocate. What if this game sells really well and they choose to ignore the old Suikoden plotline permanently and just focus on the new Tierkreis one?

Aeana

Duck Amuck said:
Because they've kept the Suikoden world for five games and that'd completely alienate their fanbase, and when you have a series that survives only by its fanbase being die-hards, that's a bad thing?
Then why did they make a game in a different world at all? :\

Just got to get my hands on a DS so I can play it. Buying the game this friday. Hopefully I don´t have to wait too long for a DS. Could of course buy one in store but don´t want to pay full price for a DS ust for one game.

RSLAEV

GDJustin said:

So do your part.

Buy a game I don't want to build up the coffers of a developer in the hopes that they will use that capital to create a game I would want?

When has that *ever* worked?

abstract alien said:
So how does recruiting work exactly? Is it set up like suikoden 1 and 2, where you have to go out and find most of the cast on your own by doing various things? Once you find them, do they add things to your HQ like the original, or is most of it just set up to happen automatically with the story?

Also, when in battle, do multiple characters attack different enemies at the same time as they did in the first two games? That was one of the best things about the series, it made the battles so much more fast and furious.

Yes. One of the best things about this game is how fast the battle system is.

Teirkreis didn't change my life, but it is a very good DS rpg. I'm not sure how die hard fans of the series will react to it, I've only played the second game, but its one of the top level rpgs on the DS.

Krelian

It's been too long since the last Suikoden. I could really need another one and although I wish it would be released for a console I'll still give this handheld version a try.

Paging shykyoichi

Main character with a bo staff check
Whole lot of people and conflict check
Runes(they can hide it but its there) check
Fast battles check
Duck Amuck being logical about sales check

I await more Gaf opinions of fans new and old on this one. I just did some major spring cleaning on my back log and now I have nothing but time for anything.

chicken_ramen said:
Yes. One of the best things about this game is how fast the battle system is.

Teirkreis didn't change my life, but it is a very good DS rpg. I'm not sure how die hard fans of the series will react to it, I've only played the second game, but its one of the top level rpgs on the DS.
Well, the fact that you have just shredded my biggest concern for this game has caused me to mess myself :lol

Konami owes you a check, because you just sold one.

Darkpen

Banned
so... can I assume this is more fun than the first one? Because the first one's kind of a drag from all angles :S except auto-battling. That's a nice feature... sort of. I find it depressing, actually.

Depressing as bad, or depressing storywise? Cause Suikoden series isn´t a happy go lucky RPG with "Final" in the title. Its war, people die and suffer. Not suffer cause their past isnt clear no they suffer cause they are starving, they are hunted down and killed, towns are burnt to the ground, people are forced on their knees to beg for their lifes before they cut their heads off and there is no strange haircut to save them.

Teknoman

Definite purchase for me, but I think im going to wait until after i've beaten my current DS RPGs. Really have to stop buying RPGs that I think will be hard to find at launch, because it seems that it's not so much of a problem these days. Still havent beaten FFTA2, The World Ends With You, will finish up Chrono Trigger when I get my DSi, and still have to start/finish Etrian Odyssey 2.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'll be picking this up on the same day with VP:COTP. The gamestop website still has the release date as 03/17/09

I really need to get into Suikoden one of these days. I was late to the bandwagon and don't want to start the series until I can play Suikoden II, which is damn hard to find (I'd download it for my PSP but I don't believe in piracy - hope it gets a PSN release). I love war and political intrigue stories in my games and from what I hear these are about as good as it gets when it comes to that.

firex

I'm kind of disappointed at the replacement for the weapon sharpening system, but then again it probably means no recruiting a blacksmith, and then having to find stupid hammers or else they can't sharpen your weapon past a certain level.

So is it really the deepest handheld RPG of all time or is that just pure marketing bull? Because for that to ring true, it'd have to best...what?

eXistor

Honestly, I don't anything about the game except that it's Suikoden. That's enough for buy it. I was actually looking to pre-order a week back, but then I noticed I had already done so a few months back :)

firex

Mockingbird said:
So is it really the deepest handheld RPG of all time or is that just pure marketing bull? Because for that to ring true, it'd have to best...what?
I don't know, but it does have a lot of different quests and missions. Maybe that's where the depth is in the game.

Hobbun

lucablight said:
Just to play devils advocate. What if this game sells really well and they choose to ignore the old Suikoden plotline permanently and just focus on the new Tierkreis one?

This is what I am worried about. And not just the plotline, but several of the things they left out that makes Suikoden, Suikoden.

matmanx1

Sales wont be great but they will be better than 20k. There's at least a little buzz around this being the "next" Suikoden at my Gamestop and I think we have 2 or 3 pre-orders for it (which is certainly better than Madworld with it's 1!). The die-hard Suikoden and RPG fans who own a DS (and there are starting to be alot of us) will almost certainly pick the game up.

I for one am very excited. I posted in the other thread about the soundtrack and digital artbook (both of good quality) and I really like the art I'm seeing in the screen shots and videos. Can't wait to play it!

Hmm....might get this. I've no experience with the games outside of reading an entertaining Let's Play for Suikoden 1 though...but feature wise this does seem like it could be nifty...

MrDaravon

Ending in 1 hour and 40 minutes from now, Gamestop.com's StopWatch deal on the front page is free 2-day shipping on the game, and the site still lists the pre-order bonus. I was going to wait on the game a little bit, but I didn't know about the pre-order bonus, and getting it online with free shipping was the dealbreaker. When you order online at least you know you're going to get it, in-store is usually a clusterfuck.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Didn't know about the preorder bonus till I saw this thread, but now I'm gonna have to preorder.. I never got into the 3D Suikodens but after playing Suikoden 2 for the first time last year, it quickly became one of my favorite games of all time.. hopefully this is as quick paced and fun as that one.

Top Bottom