• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Suikoden Tierkreis Thread: "The Deepest Handheld RPG of All Time"

jgwhiteus

Posting in this thread a bit late; finished the game over the holiday weekend. Overall, I really enjoyed it - one of the best DS JRPG's I've played, if not the best (though it's a small category overall). True, it didn't have the same "depth" or scope of the console Suikodens (I've played through I,II,III and V), but it was very good for what it was - it told a simple but involving story well, and it kept my interest all the way through. And even without the usual depth of the console Suikoden's, it was still more involving than games likes FFIII DS and FFIV DS.

Liked how fast the battles were, and the characters grew on me - even with (and sometimes because of?) the voice-acting. As annoying as the main character could be sometimes, at least the voice-acting and dialogue gave him somewhat of a personality (compared to previous mute Suikoden heroes). Definitely an easy game though - there are so many opportunities to over-level the characters, and the trading system is completely broken because the prices never change (in previous Suikodens, wouldn't unloading a lot of items change the prices in stores?) I didn't think the calendar system added anything - seemed like a cool idea that just wasn't executed well.

This is maybe the only Suikoden where I've come close to completing all the side-quests and seeing all the little "extra" scenes - the central quest management system was much appreciated.

Complaints: random encounter rate, slow walking pace in the beginning, and forced backtracking because there's no "escape from dungeon" option - ugh. I appreciated that the Godspeed Talisman was no longer required after recruiting
Tsaubern
, though.

Also, the menu screens could have been so much more user-friendly. Like, why can't you see what equipment your characters are wearing when you're in the character selection screen, etc.?

Ending seemed to hint at a possible sequel in the
Empire of the North Star
, and I'd like to see where they take this. I thought it was a good experiment on Konami's part.

Is there a good way to make fucking money in this game?

Jesus, I have like over 30 characters, and most of them are wearing rags. I've gone from place to place, fighting enemies and trading goods at a premium price, but it isn't enough. I do the sidequests, but that isn't enough.

I need a proven method or technique to get riches, because I can't stand the fact that most of the characters in my castle aren't equipped with the best. I've got a blacksmith charging me an arm and a leg for good stuff, even though he's squatting at my castle.

NintendosBooger said:

Jesus, I have like over 30 characters, and most of them are wearing rags. I've gone from place to place, fighting enemies and trading goods at a premium price, but it isn't enough. I do the sidequests, but that isn't enough.

I need a proven method or technique to get riches, because I can't stand the fact that most of the characters in my castle aren't equipped with the best. I've got a blacksmith charging me an arm and a leg for good stuff, even though he's squatting at my castle.

I suggest you don't fit everyone with the best armor and weapon, just those who you use frequently.

jgwhiteus

NintendosBooger said:

? Making money is one of the easiest things in the game - you just keep track of where you can buy trading goods low, and where you can sell high, because the prices never change. You can easily make about 200,000 - 300,000 off a simple trip between Naineneis (Porpos Kin city) and Pharamond - just buy the maximum amount of Scorpion Hides (bought at 500, sold at 1000, can hold 99), Rainbow Threads (bought at 5000, sold at 10000, I think, can hold 10?), Rainbow Cloths (bought at 10000, sold at 20000, can hold 5?), Gold Ores (bought at 1000, sold at 2000, can hold 50?), and probably some other things. There might be more profitable trips out there as well. You can just repeat the trips over and over, since there's no penalty for using up calendar days.

Constant trading also unlocks some of the best equipment at your castle shops pretty early on in the game - some of the stuff
Butterfly Robes, Piercer Spears, etc.
was better than the equipment in the end dungeon.

But I agree you shouldn't bother outfitting everyone. In fact, I just completely unequipped characters I wasn't using - if you're forced to use them later you can always re-equip them.

Tarazet

I'm 25 hours into this game and I think it rocks. There are some irritating things but they don't detract from the basic goodness of the game.

What I LIKE:

- Trading results in gradually more weapons/items in the shops
- Non-silent hero makes for solid character development
- Lots of voice for a DS card, and actors don't stick to the (sometimes stilted) script
- Looks fantastic

What I DON'T LIKE:

- Too easy
- Too many unwinnable battles
- Repetitive plot
- Some game elements are half-assed (seasons, trading rumors, gateways)

Tabris

Does this game ever get good? I'm only 3-4 hours in but I want to shoot myself now.

The dialogue is SOOOOO bad, like some of the worst dialogue I've seen this generation so far. The encounter rate is bad and so is only having 4-characters in battle, does this change?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Finally finished my PSP playthroughs of Suikos 1 and 2 (PSOne).
So awesome. Especially Suiko 2.
I also managed to figure out the digital wizardry required for taking the PSP save of a homebrew converted PSOne game, extracting it to my PSP, converting it to a format that a PS2 will recognize, then transferred onto a waiting PS2 original memory card, all so I can enjoy the dubious bonuses of loading Suikoden 2 clear data in Suikoden 3 (which, I'll add, is running off my PS2's HDD, not the original disc)!

Whew!

Not sure if I want to hit up Suiko 3 or Tierkreis next. Probably Tierkreis, to continue the portable Suiko trend. Or I might hit up something totally different and finish up FFIV DS or Dark Spire next.

Still, one huge step closer to starting Tierkreis!

Tabris said:
Does this game ever get good? I'm only 3-4 hours in but I want to shoot myself now.

The dialogue is SOOOOO bad, like some of the worst dialogue I've seen this generation so far. The encounter rate is bad and so is only having 4-characters in battle, does this change?
Does this change?
*Encounter rate = NO
*4 characters in battle = NO
*Dialogue = Yes as you progress through the story
*MC's voice = NO

Tabris

shykyoichi said:
Does this change?
*Encounter rate = NO
*4 characters in battle = NO
*Dialogue = Yes as you progress through the story
*MC's voice = NO

Just to make sure we're on the same page, did you find the beginning dialogue some of the worst ever heard/read in a jRPG this generation?

Forkball

I haven't played the game for a good while, I got about 20 or so hours in before I decided to just drop it. This one sidequest killed it for me. You have to up this mountain, then back down, then back your place, then back up to the mountain, then back down, then back to your place, then back to the mountain etc. Ugh. I also can't stand how it takes me about a minute to get out of my castle. There needs to be an automatic exit point to the overworld from the room with the missions. It's so monotonous to dredge through three screens before I can finally start the mission.

But it's a fun game. I might pick it up again eventually. It just got a bit too repetitive and slow for me.

Tabris said:
Just to make sure we're on the same page, did you find the beginning dialogue some of the worst ever heard/read in a jRPG this generation?
I don't consider it the worst. It's around average in my opinion. I have encountered games with far more generic dialogue.

Shouta

I just finished Tierkreis today and I really liked it. I'd probably put it behind 5 and 2 out of all the games.

I thought the story of the game did its fantasy elements really well, more so than most of the other Suikoden games. The universe it creates is really interesting and the characters are solid without turning into a clusterfuck like Suikodens sometimes does. The story remains interesting enough until the end and you get enough along the way to keep playing. Villains weren't shabby and the twist with the last villain was interesting if you understood it.

I think my biggest complaint is that combat mechanics could've been better, more robust on the whole. 4 member parties is waste with Suikoden games and this isn't an exception, the Mark of the Stars could've used a bit more variety, and not being able to earn money except through trading is a little annoying.

Edgeward

One trend I don't like in Suikoden games is that character recruiting becomes more and more complicated with every iteration. If not for the guide, I would've missed a lot of characters. And the requirements to get them are so vaguely hinted at it's to a point that I couldn't even tell what needed to be done. This game could've really used a detective like character at least.

Agreed on 4 person party being a waste and chars needed better mark of stars diversity. And although I like the game, I will never replay it like I will with 1,2 or 5. I just don't find the world of characters engrossing enough to replay or reminisce about.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Shouta said:
Mind you, I hated 3, 1 is kind of archaic, and 4 well, I like 4 but it's 4!
I think I'm the only person in the world who puts 3 over most others in the series.

I saw this for $17 the other day and was wondering if it was the real deal or not...

Miburou

Wow, didn't know this thread was still active.

I finished Tierkreis last month, and got all 108 stars of de.. I mean starbearers (which I have done with all previous Suikoden games).

I never found money an issue, and aside from the last boss, I only died twice (once because I wasn't looking at the screen while exploring a dungeon, and once because I accepted a side-quest and was sent alone, which I consider one of the flaws of the game, namely not letting you choose you squad after accepting a leader side quest), so the game was definitely the least challenging in the series.

I was surprised by how good the game turned out to be, and how many Suikoden elements it still retained. It was simplified a bit when it comes to towns, the world map, battles and sidequests (a lot will transport you automatically to your destination), but for a handheld game it was pretty deep.

I didn't have much of a problem with the localization (aside from the "it escaped successfully!" when you escape from battle), but the hero's voice sounded so weird, like it was sped up or something. Really cringe inducing at time. And Liu's voice made him sound like he was a bit mentally challenged. :p

Shouta

Edgeward said:
One trend I don't like in Suikoden games is that character recruiting becomes more and more complicated with every iteration. If not for the guide, I would've missed a lot of characters. And the requirements to get them are so vaguely hinted at it's to a point that I couldn't even tell what needed to be done. This game could've really used a detective like character at least.

Agreed on 4 person party being a waste and chars needed better mark of stars diversity. And although I like the game, I will never replay it like I will with 1,2 or 5. I just don't find the world of characters engrossing enough to replay or reminisce about.

Actually character recruiting in this is fairly easy except for one character I think. Most of the cast was pretty easy except for having to run around much.

That's one of my other complaints, doing a quest and then it leaves you in a dungeon to run out. I mean cripes, you guys could at least take us out of the dungeon. >=|

Mejilan

Loving the fuck out of the game so far, despite it being ridiculously easy. But can someone please explain to me how the online quests work?

I did one with Sisuca. She went to go look for another Sieg. It took 48 hours. She came back. I claimed the quest, but there was no reward. Now that online quest is showing up as available again. WTF?

Just sent Marica off on a 24 hour quest, and I want to know if I did something wrong with the Sisuca quest, something that can be avoided when Marica's 24 hours are up a little later on tonight.

Thanks in advance!

Wow I bought this release week and have yet to play it beyond the point of reaching that town in the very beginning and laughing at the fact that the librarians are the villains, lol.

Anyway, Ill definitely begin playing this first of December. I really hope it isnt the type of RPG that I would need to follow a FAQ word for word.

Mejilan

Like most Suikodens, getting all 108 Stars of Destiny basically requires a FAQ.
That or extreme good luck.

So, anyone know anything about the online quests?

Shouta

I haven't done any of the online quests myself so I wouldn't know. Don't have wireless setup in my apartment. :lol

ajim

sorry to bump the thread guys, but i didn't want to create a new thread:D

Absolutely loving the game, I've been playing for 38 hours and am up to
the one king. What a fucking cool cunt he is. Bad ass final enemy. Although, I'm having trouble beating his 3rd (and final?) form, when he gets TWO of those HUGE blasts in right after one another, there doesn't seem to be any way to survive it. Any tips?

Btw, I love all the characters in this game and the little backstories they each have, there's a lot of depth to it, and it just feels like a beautiful game with a lot of care and love put into it.

Some minor complaints though: Has been too easy up til now, I generally just breeze through every battle. Just leaving us in a cave to crawl our way back out after a quest, without any quick way to exit -- this wouldnt be so bad if the main character didn't walk so damn slow, I wish he moved faster.

Overall, excellent game and one every DS RPG fan should own and play!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You should fix that spoiler tag :)

Edit: quick!

Xelinis

ajim said:
sorry to bump the thread guys, but i didn't want to create a new thread:D

Absolutely loving the game, I've been playing for 38 hours and am up to
the one king. What a fucking cool cunt he is. Bad ass final enemy. Although, I'm having trouble beating his 3rd (and final?) form, when he gets TWO of those HUGE blasts in right after one another, there doesn't seem to be any way to survive it. Any tips?

Btw, I love all the characters in this game and the little backstories they each have, there's a lot of depth to it, and it just feels like a beautiful game with a lot of care and love put into it.

Some minor complaints though: Has been too easy up til now, I generally just breeze through every battle. Just leaving us in a cave to crawl our way back out after a quest, without any quick way to exit -- this wouldnt be so bad if the main character didn't walk so damn slow, I wish he moved faster.

Overall, excellent game and one every DS RPG fan should own and play!

Have you played any of the other Suikoden games? While its solid on its own, Tierkeis is filth compared to them.

thcsquad

I don't know why people get pissed about stars being hard to recruit--to me, it would be quite boring if all 108 stars were easy. I say bring on the ridiculous recruitment quests, as long as they're interesting and not just tedious.

I don't know if I've given my opinion in this thread yet. I think my viewpoint on Tierkreis is pretty common. It was a solid game, without the points of intense boredom that hurt Suikoden IV. But it excelled in nothing, and definitely lost a lot of Suikoden feel. I don't necessarily fault Konami for trying something different with the series, but I hope this is not a new direction. The Suikoden series used to be transcendent, not solid.

ajim

Dedication Through Light said:
lol, I bought the game around release date. played too see the evil librarians, then stopped; it sits on my backlog though
Thats when it starts to get interesting! It drags and drags in some parts of the game, but it's still a great little game.

Have you played any of the other Suikoden games? While its solid on its own, Tierkeis is filth compared to them.
I haven't, but I know I should someday!

That's a pretty insane bump but yeah, I really enjoyed this game a lot!

(as a person who never played a Suikoden game before, I understand Suikoden fans are all :( at it)

leroidys

It is a pretty good little RPG, and it does have insane production values for a DS game. It's a lot of fun. If there was a little more depth to the combat system and if the world had more to explore, it would be one of the best RPGs on the system.

Bump!

Okay, seriously. I've started replaying this (one of my favourite DS games) and have picked up from an old save file I had. I was wondering if someone could fill me in on the story up to this point? It's been so many years since I started it I don't know what's going on. I've just recruited the Porpos-kin. I tried searching online but couldn't find any in depth plot info.

Thanks.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I played this game through last year as part of my ongoing Suikoden series playthrough (just gotta beat 5 now!) and was very impressed. It's not the best game in the franchise but I certainly liked it a lot... beautiful prerendered backgrounds, a decent story with a parallel worlds concept, a variety of dungeons and areas to explore. Only real disappointments are the lead character's voiceactingwherehetalkswaytoofastanddoesn'tpause, ugly character models, and how the Suiko series 'large battles' are replaced with going to an area, fight 3 groups of enemy mooks, and you're done. Sure it may skew a bit younger in its themes compared to the more serious core series, but I see that as due to the fact it was on the DS.

Don't get why there's so much vitriol for this game in Suikoden fan circles. I enjoyed this game much more than 4 and even 3.

Top Bottom