• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Suikoden Tierkreis Thread: "The Deepest Handheld RPG of All Time"

Tenks

Ok I've just started playing this. 5 hours in.

For starters I have never played a suikoden game. This game's combat comes off as fairly shallow but maybe that is because I just finished playing TWEWY recently. The characters are pretty good and the VA is decent but the DS's sound processor makes it sound like I'm listening via a tin can.

I love, love, love the storyline. I love storylines where it is one psycho nutjob country versus another. I'm really enjoying this game and is a welcome respite from DQV which really never got to me.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Alright, on my way to finish the game and this is what I have to say about it (thus far)

It is by far my favorite non-remake JRPG released this generation, no questions.

The storyline is surprisingly deep, and there are quite a few sad moments throughout the game. This is the game that is going to take my mom from being pokemon only to actually playing other RPGs (she wants to borrow it when I finish it) just from what she has seen.

In fact, my favorite part is that they make fun of other RPGs with it (making fun of how the hero is just a kid throughout the game)

When I was a kid we got games like Final Fantasy 4 (a knight, not a shitty ass teenager) and Robotrek (a nerdy inventor instead of a pretty boy) compared to now, and Suikoden Tierkris seems to be tongue in cheek about modern JRPGs focusing on teenagers (although maybe that's just my interpretation)

Edit:
Tenks said:
Ok I've just started playing this. 5 hours in.

For starters I have never played a suikoden game. This game's combat comes off as fairly shallow but maybe that is because I just finished playing TWEWY recently. The characters are pretty good and the VA is decent but the DS's sound processor makes it sound like I'm listening via a tin can.

I love, love, love the storyline. I love storylines where it is one psycho nutjob country versus another. I'm really enjoying this game and is a welcome respite from DQV which really never got to me.

This is my first foray into the Suikoden series, and I have to say the fact that it is different and how much I love it I am unsure if I can even bring myself to play another game in the series.

The storyline is only going to get better, they really go for emotional impacts at time. I definitely see myself replaying this game in time!

Neo C.

Himuro said:
I could tell you but...I'd get in trouble.

Considering when the game itself came out (in the middle of the month) they're not terrible.
Good.

The game is really fun. Unfortunately, it surely will make me angry in the end, when I can't get all characters. Perfectionism is a pain in the ass. :(

firex

I beat it a week or so ago with all recruits. Pretty good game, but aside from 108 SoD and a HQ, and I guess a war (though no war battles) it's not at all like the rest of the series. I think the best way to compare the game to the rest of the series is to call it a really high quality Suikoden 4. I hope it doesn't become the standard for the series, but it's a good spinoff and it's better than 2/6 of the Suikoden games (Tactics and 4).

Himuro said:
When I say the sales aren't terrible, I mean it's not terrible for a niche game with little to no advertising of an already niche series that kinda flipped off old series fans.

:lol
So it just did around 25-50k then. :D

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Tierkreis is the first JRPG I've enjoyed in a very long time (not counting the remakes I've bee playing, such as DQ5, FFIV and Chrono Trigger).

No idea how far I'm in, the castle
recently got twice as
big, and now I'm going to liberate
Astrasia, and the Furious Roar soldiers are scouting or something
. VA sucks donkey arse but the music is gorgeous. Small wonder with three absolute powerhouses of composers on board.

Tenks

So far I have only a few gripes about the game.

For one there is ALOT of dialog. I generally play my DS at my desk and I can easily get distracted and pulled away. The storyline is good so it isn't a huge deal but the game is really wordy.

It is easy. Nothing more to say really. Most of the time I just perform the all-attack and thats good enough to win most battles.

ronito

I decided to pick this up before I remembered about the summer of Final Fantasy. But decided to try it out for an hour or so.

Good lawd, the VA is awful. It seems like half the cast was having a race to see who could read their lines the fastest.

I take it general consensus is pretty good? About how long a game is this?

Tenks

The VA slows down and gets better later in the game. At the start the MC was saying his lines like he just did a line of coke.

ronito said:
I take it general consensus is pretty good? About how long a game is this?
Great DS RPG. Mediocre Suikoden. About 20-50+ hours of gameplay depending if you want to collect all the Stars of Destiny and/or complete all the quests.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Himuro said:
Good high-tiered ds rpg, low quality Suikoden but still better and chock full of personality than IV or Tactics ever were.

shykyoichi said:
Great DS RPG. Mediocre Suikoden. About 20-50+ hours of gameplay depending if you want to collect all the Stars of Destiny and/or complete all the quests.

Wow, identical reviews pretty much haha

Having never played the series before I absolutely loved Tierkris, even the VA doesn't bug me considering how terrible it was in the PS1 era (bad VA = custom soundtrack eg: headphones with music :lol )

My question is, if I absolutely loved Tierkris am I going to enjoy the other Suikoden games if they are so different?

shykyoichi said:

Yeah, I was sad that the game went to handhelds.

PS: No vikki?

I beat this like two weeks ago, with all 108 stars. I was enjoying the game up until about the last 1/3 or 1/4. After that point it just drags out. The game really suffers toward the end because you realize that it's so goddamn repetitive. They made a lot of really bad choices about the design of the game (no mini-games/variations in gameplay whatsoever, battles move incredibly slowly, and you can't auto-escape from dungeons which means you do a hideous amount of back tracking). At first I was really enjoying the game, but I think the plot was really cheesy and turned out to be a lot less exciting than I thought it would be.

After playing through the entire thing I now consider it to be a fairly mediocre game in general, and certainly one of the worst Suikoden games. It's been a long time since I played Suikoden IV, but at least that had variations of gameplay that brought some break to the tedium, and it wasn't plagued by some of the various design issues that Tierkreis was. The plot was about as good as well. I would say that Tierkreis is tied with Suikoden IV for quality. After the incredible game that Suikoden V was you can color me impressed. Is it worth getting? I suppose.

firex

Tierkreis is way, way better than Suikoden 4 or Tactics. I played 4 again last fall and oh god it is a shit game in every conceivable way. Tierkreis is better. The plot is better than 4's by several thousand country miles, and 4 might have a variety of gameplay over Tierkreis, but all of its various gameplay (which is in the rest of the Suiko series) sucks universally. Also it has way, way worse design decisions. It's true, the lack of escape options or a dash (unless you get the Godspeed ring) in Tierkreis sucks, but I never found its dungeons or encounters as frustrating as 4's.

firex said:
Tierkreis is way, way better than Suikoden 4 or Tactics. I played 4 again last fall and oh god it is a shit game in every conceivable way. Tierkreis is better. The plot is better than 4's by several thousand country miles, and 4 might have a variety of gameplay over Tierkreis, but all of its various gameplay (which is in the rest of the Suiko series) sucks universally. Also it has way, way worse design decisions. It's true, the lack of escape options or a dash (unless you get the Godspeed ring) in Tierkreis sucks, but I never found its dungeons or encounters as frustrating as 4's.

The naval battles in 4 were actually pretty decent. Too easy, but they were ok. It's been a long time since I played it, but as I remember regular combat was both better and more challenging (although it's not hard to be more challenging than Tierkreis. The game is simple). It has way way worse design decisions, like the boat that was slower than a person walking, but at least I didn't have to run out of dungeons, and there was a damn dash button. The entire calendar cycle in Tierkreis was basically completely pointless aside from recruiting a very small handful of character (and frankly it became more of an annoyance than anything--Namna in particular) I don't remember how the encounter rate was, but it's hideously bad in Tierkreis, and instead of being able to avoid battles with weaker enemies completely they give you spark, which means you have to load the battle screen, issue a command, and wait for combat to be over for every encounter, which was the most annoying thing ever. I remember actually enjoying some of the end-game plot in 4, whereas the entire end game plot in Tierkreis was just dull. The entire plot was insanely repetitive as well. It's been way too long since I've played 4 to give it a fair judgment, but from all that I can remember I certainly wouldn't put Tierkreis far from it in quality.

vandalvideo said:
Yeah, I was sad that the game went to handhelds.

PS: No vikki?
I'm fine with handhelds just not the direction where the series is going.

PS: No Viki.

firex said:
Tierkreis is way, way better than Suikoden 4 or Tactics.
True. Tierkreis is definitely way, way better than S4 however Tactics is an SRPG so I don't tend to rate it alongside the main series.

One of the pros of S4 over Tierkreis is VIKI. :D

---

Btw, Himu, I check the DS Top 20 and Tierkreis isn't there. And I saw PETZ:DOGZ. >.<

Oh and Konami already commented on JP sales. It's cited for "strong performance".

Perhaps I'm giving S4 more credit than is due because of how long ago I played it. But my real point is that Tierkreis is mediocre by standards of the genre, and very mediocre compared to the heights of the series.

Coldsnap

Quick Questin: Should I be keeping my Ore and Pelts/Skin for crafting (if their is crafting in the game?) or should I sell them for money to buy equipment.

shykyoichi said:

I'm not sure if you're talking about the story or gameplay, the story direction is debatable, not my favorite too so far, but I haven't beat the game yet to comment (almost at the end though)

but if it's the gameplay, I kinda blame DS cart size for the lack of mini games, bath house, war battle, and unique weapon for each character as well as upgradable weapon system. and I really like this stuff in previous suikoden and really sad to see it missing in Tierkreis.

edit: not too mention 4 player limit instead of 6. I think future Suikoden should just let you bring 8 people at one time, but you can rotate character in and out during battle like FF X

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Coldsnap said:
Quick Questin: Should I be keeping my Ore and Pelts/Skin for crafting (if their is crafting in the game?) or should I sell them for money to buy equipment.
Sell them. The trade items are there merely for trade purposes only, they don't really do anything outside of having better equipment options when you get your HQ weapons/armorsmith.

leroidys

shykyoichi said:

True. Tierkreis is definitely way, way better than S4 however Tactics is an SRPG so I don't tend to rate it alongside the main series.

One of the pros of S4 over Tierkreis is VIKI. :D

---

Btw, Himu, I check the DS Top 20 and Tierkreis isn't there. And I saw PETZ:DOGZ. >.<

Oh and Konami already commented on JP sales. It's cited for "strong performance".

From the link:

Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment (PSN, XLA)

WHAT. How come I haven't heard of this?

Coldsnap said:
Sell it to the highest buyer. Done.

leroidys said:
From the link:
WHAT. How come I haven't heard of this?
There's a thread here in GAF. Here. And here.

i've stopped on the last battle few weeks ago and lost interest to go further for some reason. few stars left to recruit and i have no motivation anymore....

thats a first for suikoden.

ronito said:
Am I stupid and missing it? Or am I really looking at a handheld RPG without a quicksave? Really?

yeah, this one is really bothering me because either the dungeon is too damn big, or you walk too slow, or the high random encounter rate. I'd always play the game at home because I often have the battery indicator blinking red in mid dungeons.

Augemitbutter said:
theres nothing to hooray.

those alpha? screenshots looked horrible.

Vandal Hearts was never about graphics to begin with. It was the zany art styles with over the top violence and great story/ sound score.

game was fun, story was ok, music was good.....

you didnt see anything positive about it, so there is really no reason to hooray. looks like it wont be made at konami jp and tamawari and higashino arent with konami anymore.

and on top of it, it will be digital only. smells like rotten fish to me.

Augemitbutter said:
game was fun, story was ok, music was good.....

you didnt see anything positive about it, so there is really no reason to hooray. looks like it wont be made at konami jp and tamawari and higashino arent with konami anymore.

and on top of it, it will be digital only. smells like rotten fish to me.

It is one of my more appreciated stories in the JRPG marketspace. Outside of Megaten, Suikoden, and Shadow Hearts; there really aren't any other JRPGs out there that rival Vandal Hearts in terms of the literary merit of the story. I can stomach a digital only game with middling graphics as long as it keeps that same over the top violence and religious driven story that it has always had. I mean, I enjoyed Disgaea 3 this gen, and we all know how graphically inept that was.

Coldsnap

shykyoichi said:
Sell it to the highest buyer. Done.

There's a thread here in GAF. Here. And here.

speedpop said:
Sell them. The trade items are there merely for trade purposes only, they don't really do anything outside of having better equipment options when you get your HQ weapons/armorsmith.

thanks.

I'm enjoying this game.

Ricker

Ok guys,maybe this has been answered but i didn't follow this thread everyday and i'm stuck now...I'm trying to do the "Find Icas" quest,where it suggest that I send an all female cast...the problem is I can only send 2 main and 1 sub...this doesn't seem to work so far,as the quest girl says maybe there wasn't enough members...if I add 2 guys,it fails also...the only thing I can figure is maybe I failed to get a female character somewhere but I went everywhere I can go now(i'm level 21 range,got Cougar still with me) and there is no one else to recruit as far as I can see and nothing else i do or go to lets me advance the game...

Ricker said:
Ok guys,maybe this has been answered but i didn't follow this thread everyday and i'm stuck now...I'm trying to do the "Find Icas" quest,where it suggest that I send an all female cast...the problem is I can only send 2 main and 1 sub...this doesn't seem to work so far,as the quest girl says maybe there wasn't enough members...if I add 2 guys,it fails also...the only thing I can figure is maybe I failed to get a female character somewhere but I went everywhere I can go now(i'm level 21 range,got Cougar still with me) and there is no one else to recruit as far as I can see and nothing else i do or go to lets me advance the game...
You can finish the quest when you have enough female SoD to choose from. And oldies doesn't count (ex. Selen).

mjc

The only thing that really annoys me with this game is the weapon and armor shops. They seemed to have done away with simply showing if a weapon is stronger or weaker than the one you have to equip. You have to look at your equipped weapon and then compare it to what the new one would be...ugh.

What a mess.

mjc said:
The only thing that really annoys me with this game is the weapon and armor shops. They seemed to have done away with simply showing if a weapon is stronger or weaker than the one you have to equip. You have to look at your equipped weapon and then compare it to what the new one would be...ugh.

What a mess.
I remember than it shows that stat upgrade that the weapon provide so...

Ricker

shykyoichi said:
You can finish the quest when you have enough female SoD to choose from. And oldies doesn't count (ex. Selen).

Ok but nothing else is opening up now...I went everywhere I can go,and there's no new area for me to go to,I can just grind in between towns...

Ricker said:
Ok but nothing else is opening up now...I went everywhere I can go,and there's no new area for me to go to,I can just grind in between towns...
Did you go back to the war room? Also, grinding is not advisable in Suikoden games. Its exp system make it easier to level up low-level chars in a new area. It's faster too.

If you want, you can check FAQs.

ronito

I'm not feeling it. I still can't get over the fact that it's a handheld RPG with large dungeons a character that walks slowly, random encounters and no quicksave. Totally doesn't lend itself to my "play for a few minutes at a time" way of playing:(

firex

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
The naval battles in 4 were actually pretty decent. Too easy, but they were ok. It's been a long time since I played it, but as I remember regular combat was both better and more challenging (although it's not hard to be more challenging than Tierkreis. The game is simple). It has way way worse design decisions, like the boat that was slower than a person walking, but at least I didn't have to run out of dungeons, and there was a damn dash button. The entire calendar cycle in Tierkreis was basically completely pointless aside from recruiting a very small handful of character (and frankly it became more of an annoyance than anything--Namna in particular) I don't remember how the encounter rate was, but it's hideously bad in Tierkreis, and instead of being able to avoid battles with weaker enemies completely they give you spark, which means you have to load the battle screen, issue a command, and wait for combat to be over for every encounter, which was the most annoying thing ever. I remember actually enjoying some of the end-game plot in 4, whereas the entire end game plot in Tierkreis was just dull. The entire plot was insanely repetitive as well. It's been way too long since I've played 4 to give it a fair judgment, but from all that I can remember I certainly wouldn't put Tierkreis far from it in quality.
I am so late to this, but 4's battles are even easier than Tierkreis's. I know that probably sounds crazy, but it's true. I think I had one game over in each game, and it was just because in 4 I was forced to use an under-leveled, under-equipped crappy character to recruit someone else at the end of a dungeon, and in Tierkreis I tried leveling up some scrubs in the battle simulation thing on what was apparently the hardest possible fight. If you're wanting to run faster, there is a (deceptively hidden) item about halfway through the game that you can equip on the hero to make him run at least 2x faster. I didn't like the lack of escape items, either, but the game is so forgiving with its fights that I was able to escape every fight I needed to without dying.

I don't remember where you find a champion's orb in 4, but I know I got one and equipped it and it didn't make a difference even when I could use the flash/slash skill (same as spark) to instant kill trivial stuff in the final dungeon. Not that I'm saying Tierkreis doesn't have tons of random encounters, but it also has an absurdly forgiving escape rate, just like every Suikoden I've played. I ran from about 2/3 or more of the fights after I was far enough in the game to have the upgraded HQ.

I didn't like the lack of war battles or duels or minigames in Tierkreis, but Suikoden 4 has the worst minigames I've ever played in the series, and usually Suikoden minigames are a lot of fun. They managed to make the dice game no fun (I totally forget the name of it and don't trust 2's crappy translation of "chinchirorin" to be right), but even worse, it had motherfucking Rita-pon. I think the only part of 4's gameplay I really liked is the war battles, even if they were way too simple.

Basically, Tierkreis might be lacking a lot of features that the rest of the Suikoden games have, but that doesn't make it worse than 4. 4 has all those features and doesn't get a single one of them right. Tierkreis is lacking them, but didn't fuck up what it had. And in general, I liked Tierkreis's magic system. It fit with replacing D&D styled spell levels and casts/uses with regular JRPG MP. I wouldn't want to see it paired with the regular Suikoden runes, but really my only complaints about Tierkreis are the Suikoden features it lacks, while with 4 I hate pretty much everything about the game except how fast it is to teleport to/from places with Viki.

Ricker

shykyoichi said:
Did you go back to the war room? Also, grinding is not advisable in Suikoden games. Its exp system make it easier to level up low-level chars in a new area. It's faster too.

If you want, you can check FAQs.

Ahhh,the war room,on the second floor of the fortress was stopping the story from progressing hehe,finally got it going again.

Oh and I used the "other Worlds" Wi-fi part and sent Marica over for 24 hours,wondering what happens with that? does it work at all?

Ricker said:
Ahhh,the war room,on the second floor of the fortress was stopping the story from progressing hehe,finally got it going again.

Oh and I used the "other Worlds" Wi-fi part and sent Marica over for 24 hours,wondering what happens with that? does it work at all?
Yes, my sister and I tried it and it does work. You send your SoD to other world by fulfilling missions throughout the 'million worlds'.

Top Bottom